PDA

View Full Version : Predict best rivalry in MLS 2011?

TFC247
07-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Watching yesterday's Seattle vs Portland got me curious. Let's say all the supposed teams get their stadiums and entrance into MLS as expected, which would be the best rivalry in the league after 2011?

flatpicker
07-02-2009, 08:43 AM
well, I think new teams will develop the best rivalries for the short term.
They will have the initial excitement on their sides because of how new they are in MLS.

The Portland-Seattle-Vancouver games should be good.

But, if Montreal ever get in... then I think we will take it to another level!

Stryker
07-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Vancouver - Portland.
Conference battle of the basement dwellers.

poppamidnight
07-02-2009, 10:13 AM
As a Vancouverite... I gotta say the Sounders/Whitecaps rivalry is epic, So i voted for that

FluSH
07-02-2009, 10:28 AM
voted Seattle vs Portland

flatpicker
07-02-2009, 10:33 AM
not sure how people can vote for Toronto-Montreal right now considering Impact have to MLS team.

zeelaw
07-02-2009, 10:36 AM
not sure how people can vote for Toronto-Montreal right now considering Impact have to MLS team.
the thread is assuming in 2011 Montreal does.

rocker
07-02-2009, 10:56 AM
I picked Seattle-Portland because they both already have massive support. Montreal - Toronto would be good, but moreso on the Toronto side. Montreal's hardcore is a fraction of ours. Portland already has massive support and Seattle too. Vancouver I'm not yet sure, because their hardcore is still relatively small. They'll get 20000 fans no prob, but whether it'll be 20000 like Seattle's, I'm not sure.

uncle p
07-02-2009, 10:58 AM
I would think NYRB vs Philly would be a big rivalry, only problem is a) NY doesnt have any fans and b) the red bulls are....

I voted Philly/DC, something tells me the Philly supporters are gonna come out like gangbusters and try to get a name for themselves.

Assuming MTL gets in, our battles with them will be HUGE!!

flatpicker
07-02-2009, 11:03 AM
^ I'd be willing to bet that NY fan base picks up when they move into their new intimate stadium.

uncle p
07-02-2009, 11:08 AM
shit, i forgot all about their new park!!

Nomad
07-02-2009, 11:22 AM
^ I'd be willing to bet that NY fan base picks up when they move into their new intimate stadium.

I disagree...

Most people in NYC don't even know they have a team. Most fans in NJ are still very pissed about the re-branding of the team to the Energy Drinks and dropping NJ from the name. They'll get a few more fans initially just to check out the stadium but they need a real overhaul long term to get the support back.

Detroit_TFC
07-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Went with Sea v Portland, they go at it like cats and dogs, not exactly sure why.

Roogsy
07-02-2009, 11:54 AM
MLS is really dropping the ball with the New Jersey Pink Cows. A stadium out in nowhere. Security that is not fan friendly. And of course, MLS's biggest mistake, marketing to soccer moms.

NY can have a MASSIVE team and they just seem to keep screwing it up. In what is considered the "capital of the world" they need to market this team as a representation of the global identity of New York. They need to make it cool. Cutting edge. Exciting.

Instead, it's like they simply accept their unrecognized status.

rocker
07-02-2009, 11:55 AM
other than LAG/Chivas, I believe Philly-DC will be the closest rival in distance. only about 200K between the cities. Imagine if we could drive to London Ontario to face an MLS foe? that's the same distance between Philly and DC.

rocker
07-02-2009, 11:56 AM
MLS needs to put a NY team in a stadium in Queen's, next to Shea... would be perfect.. make it 33000 seats. intimate, but big enough for the city.

Darlofletch
07-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Dc-Philly.

Dc have already got a good thing going, and philly seem as if they've been gagging for a team for ages, so they'll be ready to go. Couple that with the reputation of philly sports fans in general, and they should certainly be worth watching.

I can't help but think that Philly's introduction will be the tipping point for the league from Family Friendly Fun Time! to proper football crowds/marketing, and all the good and bad things that might lead to.

Cashcleaner
07-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Obviously if Montreal did get in for the 2011 season it would be the biggest rivalry. If we were to suppose that Portland does get its stadium deal worked out and makes the move to MLS, I think their rivalry with Seattle will be huge.

Mojo
07-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Build a stadium in Central Park for NY :)

Ossington Mental Youth
07-02-2009, 01:00 PM
LA/Chivas will disappear, it was never that big.
I truly think the venom will spew if and when montreal join.
Look at how it is already (i hate to point em out but fights is a good indication of intensity when it comes to rivalries)

Dirk Diggler
07-02-2009, 01:08 PM
I voted for Seattle/Portland as well ... there's already a very strong rivalry there and things will certainly pick up once Portland gets to the major league. Montreal and Vancouver don't have the hardcore support that Portland has.

Dirk Diggler
07-02-2009, 01:09 PM
By the way, if we're assuming that Montreal will play in 2011, why is Montreal/Vancouver not one of the options? It would be a no-brainer in my opinion ... although it won't be the strongest rivalry but certainly it will be something.

Lennon
07-02-2009, 01:19 PM
I can't help but think that Philly's introduction will be the tipping point for the league from Family Friendly Fun Time! to proper football crowds/marketing, and all the good and bad things that might lead to.

God I hope you're right ...

TFC247
07-02-2009, 01:39 PM
By the way, if we're assuming that Montreal will play in 2011, why is Montreal/Vancouver not one of the options?
Yeah I somehow missed that one, and also vancouver vs portland, my bad.

Or how about Chicago vs everyone else. j/k

TFC~Vatreni
07-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Read it here first! It will be Toronto vs Philadelphia. Has nothing to do with geographic location or old standing rivalries, just the rabid nature and size of their respective fan bases. I already predict something bad happening either on our road trip there or their road trip here. Believe me, the best rivalries are the ones where the FANS hate each other. Plus this is MLS where most cities fan bases are tiny. Of course I could be wrong and the fans will get along splendidly ;)

Yohan
07-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Chicago vs Columbus
RSL vs Colorado
Houston vs Dallas
NY vs NE
DC vs NY

NateDoGG
07-02-2009, 03:02 PM
LA and CHIVAS

Dirk Diggler
07-02-2009, 03:14 PM
People are hyping up Philly way too much ... I have a bad feeling that you're all going to be disappointed. Personally I think that Seattle and DC are as good as it gets in terms of football support in America.

Yohan
07-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Read it here first! It will be Toronto vs Philadelphia. Has nothing to do with geographic location or old standing rivalries, just the rabid nature and size of their respective fan bases. I already predict something bad happening either on our road trip there or their road trip here. Believe me, the best rivalries are the ones where the FANS hate each other. Plus this is MLS where most cities fan bases are tiny. Of course I could be wrong and the fans will get along splendidly ;)
Philly is in prime location for away trips

DC, NY, Toronto, Columbus

Yohan
07-02-2009, 03:15 PM
People are hyping up Philly way too much ... I have a bad feeling that you're all going to be disappointed. Personally I think that Seattle and DC are as good as it gets in terms of football support in America.
did you see Portland vs Seattle game?

Darlofletch
07-02-2009, 03:25 PM

This is what i base my optimism on. From 2007, before they were even promised a team.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2007/jun/06/sport.comment

"They're fans of Philly's Major League Soccer team. But Philadelphia doesn't yet have an MLS team. Which is to say that, despite having scarves, songs, chants, replica shirts and flags, they're fans of a team that doesn't yet exist. It's almost as if - in the manner of the South Sea cargo cultists - they're trying to will a Philly team into existence. They even organise trips to New York Red Bulls games, just so they can boo them. How hardcore is that?"

Dirk Diggler
07-02-2009, 03:31 PM
This is what i base my optimism on. From 2007, before they were even promised a team.

"They're fans of Philly's Major League Soccer team. But Philadelphia doesn't yet have an MLS team. Which is to say that, despite having scarves, songs, chants, replica shirts and flags, they're fans of a team that doesn't yet exist. It's almost as if - in the manner of the South Sea cargo cultists - they're trying to will a Philly team into existence. They even organise trips to New York Red Bulls games, just so they can boo them. How hardcore is that?"

Yeah I'm aware of the SOBs but its still too early to judge whether they are a very small minority or the "tip of the iceberg" so to speak of the football support in Philly.

mighty_torontofc_2008
07-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Philly -DC

Yohan
07-02-2009, 03:37 PM

lol. that's so awesome

Yohan
07-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Yeah I'm aware of the SOBs but its still too early to judge whether they are a very small minority or the "tip of the iceberg" so to speak of the football support in Philly.
if Toronto and Seattle experience taught us anything, it's that enthusiasm is infectious

BallardSounder
07-02-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm closest to the Seattle/Portland/Vancouver scene, so went with Seattle v. Portland. Portland has a strong "little brother" thing when it comes to Seattle, so they're ALL about hating Seattle. That's the main thing that drives the rivalry, along with a long shared history. While both have a rivalry from NASL days with Vancouver, everybody kind of likes Vancouver, so it isn’t quite as passionate.

That said, Montreal v. TFC could be pretty epic, assuming Montreal gets in MLS. Philly v. Energy Soft Drink should be pretty good too.

Brooker
07-02-2009, 04:28 PM
nothing will touch portland/seattle... if montreal fans step up their game, then toronto/montreal could be as big.

DC and Philly could be fuckin wicked, too.

LA/Chivas? Toronto/Vancouver?

give me a break.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Seattle Portland hands down....

HOnestly MOntreal's Supporters Group at the momment it not big enough to create a big rivalry....they can't even fill a bus!.....Unless they can expand to huge masses it will only be another game.

I hope when philly come to town....TFC will some how put in 500 TEMP seats for there supporters im sure they will fill them!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-02-2009, 05:26 PM
nothing will touch portland/seattle... if montreal fans step up their game, then toronto/montreal could be as big.

DC and Philly could be fuckin wicked, too.

LA/Chivas? Toronto/Vancouver?

give me a break.

exactly.....

Carefree
07-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Don't overestimate the support in Montreal. They have maybe a hundred "ultras" but the team mostly markets to soccer moms, presenting the games as "family-friendly events". Also, the reason why they fill their 13,000-seat stadium is because tickets are dirt-cheap.

I read the Montreal papers almost every day (I grew up there) and even in the summer, there is only one pro sport team in Montreal, and they wear a CH on their red white and blue jerseys.

Like someone mentioned, the rivalry in the stands would be completely one-sided.

jabbronies
07-02-2009, 05:58 PM
What about Toronto Shitcago??

Yohan
07-02-2009, 07:22 PM
What about Toronto Shitcago??
seriously?

what did chicago do to deserve our hate lol

Waggy
07-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Don't overestimate the support in Montreal. They have maybe a hundred "ultras" but the team mostly markets to soccer moms, presenting the games as "family-friendly events". Also, the reason why they fill their 13,000-seat stadium is because tickets are dirt-cheap.

I read the Montreal papers almost every day (I grew up there) and even in the summer, there is only one pro sport team in Montreal, and they wear a CH on their red white and blue jerseys.

Like someone mentioned, the rivalry in the stands would be completely one-sided.

You know how Columbus supporters groups basically started after we took over their stadium last year? If we could cause that kind of reaction in Columbus, what do you think it'd be in Montreal? Montrealers aren't stupid. They know that USL isn't MLS (whether thats good or bad, thats the impression), and until they're on equal footing with Toronto they'll always be in the 'lower league'. They get up to the big time though and I have full faith they'll come out.

Also GREAT call on Toronto Philly. We have a TON of history with them already. Can we start a Mitch Williams chant that first away game?! A good ole Joe Carter works too! I dunno how much the win last year helped, but as of a few years ago when I was at school with a guy from Philly, it stttiiill hurt. And of course those playoff battles too (they alllll remember Tucker RUINING..... shit! whats his name! FUCK! You guys know what I mean. Kaponen? Something like that?)

Ossington Mental Youth
07-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Ive got friends in Philly and some of em follow footie, some dont, the few that do are into it but arent super psyched and i highly doubt that a sincere rivalry will develop between the two towns, as previously mentioned they already have existing rivalries with NY and DC, those are more likely to blow up than one with Toronto. Its like the nonexistant rivalry we have with NY, it would be very one sided.

T_Mizz
07-03-2009, 09:51 AM
I think that the only reason this isn't too much of a landslide for Toronto - Montreal is that it's not a certainty that they'll even be in the MLS by then. If it was then there's no doubt in my mind that we'd be the biggest rivalry: we've both got amazing fans, we're relatively close, and most importantly we hate the french and they do us so it'll be fun.

PJC
07-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Gotta go with Seattle vs Portland

ilikemusic
07-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Seattle-Portland

flatpicker
07-03-2009, 11:16 AM
an awful lot of people voting for TFC v Limps

Wishful thinking? I hope not.

Is there anything to make us believe Montreal might be in the league in 2011?

Bender
07-03-2009, 08:42 PM
seriously?

what did chicago do to deserve our hate lol

easy to come up with a catchy insult i guess :D

GhostPK
07-04-2009, 03:56 AM
I picked Seattle-Portland because they both already have massive support. Montreal - Toronto would be good, but moreso on the Toronto side. Montreal's hardcore is a fraction of ours. Portland already has massive support and Seattle too. Vancouver I'm not yet sure, because their hardcore is still relatively small. They'll get 20000 fans no prob, but whether it'll be 20000 like Seattle's, I'm not sure.

Good Luck! After 3 shitty years in the MLS with no titles whitecRap fan support will drop back to 5-6 thousand. THey can't even sell out their current stadium for normal season games. It's only when TFC comes to town that they have a full stadium.

Having said that, the whitecRap/seattle games will be good ones.

TFCREDNWHITE
07-05-2009, 11:03 AM
This was the Seattle travelling away supporters at Portland, after the match...

not bad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJWRUyM1dJ0&feature=related

rocker
07-05-2009, 11:12 AM
THey can't even sell out their current stadium for normal season games.

yeah, and the Toronto Lynx didn't sell out their stadium either. Who wants to go all the way to Swangard for USL anyway?

Seattle's attendance in the USL was weak too.

Ya can't compare attendance in the USL to MLS.. no correlation at all. TFC is proof of that.

If Kansas City can get 10000 a game in MLS, Vancouver can get 20000 no problemo.

mr k
07-05-2009, 07:07 PM
seattle only got 16k for Gold Cup doubleheader with USA playing coming off Confed Cup.

So, the city rivalry is there with Portland - but 16k is pathetic show of support for the sport. A strike in my books for the supporter groups.

BallardSounder
07-05-2009, 10:17 PM
seattle only got 16k for Gold Cup doubleheader with USA playing coming off Confed Cup.

So, the city rivalry is there with Portland - but 16k is pathetic show of support for the sport. A strike in my books for the supporter groups.

Why should the Sounders supporter groups be responsible for Gold Cup support?

I'm a supporter of the Sounders, but couldn't care less about the US Men's National Team. International football just doesn't interest me that much, other than perhaps a certain joy in watching England fail. I'd rather watch WPS, or, hell, even baseball, than USA vs. Grenada or some other Concacaf minnow tempest.

Daveisonfire
07-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Why should the Sounders supporter groups be responsible for Gold Cup support?

I'm a supporter of the Sounders, but couldn't care less about the US Men's National Team. International football just doesn't interest me that much, other than perhaps a certain joy in watching England fail. I'd rather watch WPS, or, hell, even baseball, than USA vs. Grenada or some other Concacaf minnow tempest.

I have to say you're the first footy supporter I've ever heard of who isn't interested in international football.

Not that it's good or bad....just strikes me as odd.

BallardSounder
07-06-2009, 12:00 AM
I have to say you're the first footy supporter I've ever heard of who isn't interested in international football.

Not that it's good or bad....just strikes me as odd.

I wouldn't say I'm totally disinterested in international football, just not a fan of any CONCACAF teams. I'm also just not big on the whole nationalistic part of it all. Some of it is that the US team typically doesn't play all that exciting football, but mostly I don't like any of the teams.

I'm also odd in that I'm not passionate about the EPL. I recognize the high level of play, unlike CONCACAF, but I don't have an emotional connection with any team. I do cheer for France, but that's because I was there in '98.

I would like the US to win a World Cup, but really only for what I think it would do to advance the game and MLS in the US.

And, seriously, Gold Cup?

twistedchinaman
07-06-2009, 01:18 AM
Seattle and Portland are going to go at it hammer and tongs no matter what. Vancouver's just a pesky third wheel at best I have a strange feeling...

Toronto vs. Montreal should also be a good one -- but the Limpact has to get IN to MLS first, which so far they aren't.

Cas87
07-06-2009, 08:07 AM
DC and Phily will be epic

Sons of Ben vs. All the DC supporters

Fun games looking forwards to watching them on GOL TV Canada (PAUL!!!!!) *hint, hint*

maninb
07-08-2009, 02:56 PM

yeah based on their fans behavior in other sports things can get pretty violent/wacky in Philly...Helll they fight amongst themselves on many occasions....let's hope we host them first and show them a good time so they don't want to brawl when we travel to Philly...or should I say Chester...

King Tut
07-09-2009, 05:10 AM
LA and CHIVAS

Seconded

DichioTFC
07-14-2009, 01:04 AM
MLS has an ongoing poll on their site asking:

"Which MLS stadium is the toughest venue for a road team?"

BMO has 54%
Qwest has 31%
The other three options have 11% combined.

RPB nation, click on the link below and let the MLS know which stadium is tougher to play in...

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090713&content_id=5860306&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp