PDA

View Full Version : New England sign Lithuanian forward Jankauskas

anto7
07-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Another interesting signing by one of our rivals.

July 01, 4:15 pm

Foxborough, MA (Sports Network) - The New England Revolution signed Lithuanian forward Edgaras Jankauskas to a Major League Soccer contract, pending U.S. P-1 Visa approval, it was announced on Wednesday.

"We are pleased to sign Edgaras," Revolution Vice President Michael Burns said. "He is a very experienced player at both the club and international level, and he is a proven scorer who can hold the ball up well. We expect he will be a good fit for our team and we're anxious to get him acclimated to MLS."

Jankauskas has more than 18 seasons of experience in the European professional leagues, playing in Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, France, Scotland, and most recently with AEK Larnaca in Cyprus, Belenenses in Portugal and Skonto in Latvia.

Once added to the Revs' roster, the 34-year-old Jankauskas will occupy an international roster slot.

Dirk Diggler
07-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Interesting signing indeed ... I wonder how players like him get scouted by MLS ...

JamboAl
07-01-2009, 11:04 PM
He played for Hearts a few seasons ago; lacked a bit of pace back then and was released. Might do ok as a role player for NE.

rocker
07-02-2009, 08:28 AM
not sure what to make of that signing. 34 years old.. been through a lot of teams (some of whom I've never heard of). not the greatest strike rate over the past 5 years.
but did play for some decent teams at different point with ok strike rates.
gamble I guess.