PDA

View Full Version : one question about a potential 'grass' bmo field

raj100
07-01-2009, 04:44 PM
if tfc DOES get a grass pitch will that actually bring better players to bmo? (players who dont want to play on turf) considering that for most team practices they wont be playing on the grass field as that would not be played on except during games to keep the grass in good condition? players would only play on turf 5 times a week rather than 6...

Roogsy
07-01-2009, 05:01 PM
It's actually a valid question. I've wondered the same. The only thing I can think of is that the new practice facility may be grass as well meaning they will be practicing and playing on grass.

raj100
07-01-2009, 05:47 PM
will MLSE shell out enough money for both a GRASS bmo and GRASS training facility?

jloome
07-01-2009, 05:59 PM
The turf issue isn't a real issue;

Ok, it's a real issue, but only on worn turf that won't support players' joints.

Many Euro teams practice on turf, then play on grass. Chelsea has a regular fieldturf practice pitch, and one of Man Utd's alternate pitches is field turf. The reason its FIFA approved is because most of the concerns rasised about it are proveably bullshit. In fact, numerous teams in Russia play on fieldturf during the regular season, and it's generally regarded as better than MLS.

However, worn turf, such as the turf at BMO, can play havoc on players because it doesn't support the pounding the joints take.

So getting a fieldturf practice field and a grass main stadium field would be old hat to numerous top line players, and shouldn't be a detriment to signings (of course, given that the lousy Shite BUlls have managed, over the years, to sign Juan Pablo Angel, Albert Celades, Youri Djorkaeff and Lothar Mattheus to play on football gridirons turf, I'm not sure if money isn't the single biggest factor.)

Yohan
07-01-2009, 06:03 PM
and there will be still be couple of teams that play on turf in the league

Super
07-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Let's not forget the Edu money here, though. A good portion of the money can easily go towards a grass practise field. BMO is the problem - not the practise facility.

Beach_Red
07-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Shouldn't the question be, when BMO gets grass will it be better maintained than the turf?

Because it's possible to have crappy grass, isn't it?

loconet
07-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Shouldn't the question be, when BMO gets grass will it be better maintained than the turf?

Because it's possible to have crappy grass, isn't it?

I would assume they wouldn't rent it out to the community anymore. That will help a lot.

prizby
07-01-2009, 07:32 PM
to answer the question

a player like ronnie o'brian would never have asked to be traded...we would never have Sam Cronin (maybe)

billyfly
07-01-2009, 09:01 PM
MLSE has indicated in the past that there would be a grass training facility.

Kaz
07-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Many sides at our level of play have turf practice facilities. So it shouldn't be too much of an issue. It seems common in Germany and Scandinavia in particular. (Liverpool for example)

But as has been said a grass practice facility seems to be the plan

raj100
07-01-2009, 10:44 PM
to answer the question

a player like ronnie o'brian would never have asked to be traded

see thats where i disagree... just because they would potentially spend 1 less day on turf is a make or break in a case like ronnies?

will a grass bmo will bring top class players? or would a grass practice facility do more good?

Blizzard
07-01-2009, 11:31 PM
see thats where i disagree... just because they would potentially spend 1 less day on turf is a make or break in a case like ronnies?

will a grass bmo will bring top class players? or would a grass practice facility do more good?

They are aiming to have both! It's not an either / or!

Cashcleaner
07-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Guys, guys. Of course the practise field will be grass!

Any practise "facility" really just needs to have a playing surface and equipment locker. There are likely a few hundred pitches available across the GTA the team can use.

Dunkers
07-02-2009, 02:13 AM
I think this whole turf thing is a simple scapegoat for not wanting
to play in toronto. Happens with the raps and jays already. Huckerbery
signed with san jose and not us because of grass? I think it has more
to do with beaches and sun shine

Cashcleaner
07-02-2009, 02:35 AM
^ I think turf is one of many reason why someone may take a pass on playing in Toronto. I don't think it is the sort of dealbreaker that some believe, but I don't think it really helps sell the team either.

onemanbarmyarmy
07-02-2009, 05:22 AM
Any practise "facility" really just needs to have a playing surface and equipment locker. There are likely a few hundred pitches available across the GTA the team can use.

If I'm not mistaken do they not already practice on grass pitches. I think there is a facility they use in Oakville and another north of downtown I believe?

Pookie
07-02-2009, 06:36 AM
I think that adding grass accomplishes a few things.

It attempts to level the playing field in recruiting a player. It certainly isn't the only factor. We have an advantage over some markets, particularly for Canadian players.

We have a disadvantage over others for those that aren't used to playing outdoors in April and October in Canada. We also aren't the big city (with all its perks) like a New York or LA.

In the end, grass helps to reduce the number of differences to a minimum and hopefully allows the team to try to play up other advantages.

I think that the most important thing that grass does is contribute to improving the consistency and quality of play for the players that we do have. The majority of players grew up playing on a grass surface. They learned plays, developed skills and grew comfortable on grass. If nothing else, it is a familar surface and that should help.... in theory.

Mark in Ottawa
07-02-2009, 06:57 AM
Having grass won't matter a damn unless the club/venue hires a proper turf management team to ensure that the pitch is properly maintained.

Remember watching EPL games from Wigan a few seasons back??
It looked like the players were playing in a peat bog after the rugby teams had torn it up and the turf couldn't be repaired in time for the footy matches.

rocker
07-02-2009, 08:34 AM
my impression from Paul Beirne's comments about grass was that whatever deal they come up with has to allow the best quality surface to be put in. Sounds to me like if they go grass they want to do it right. Not have an inferior grass surface just to have grass.

and yes, there are many places you could put a grass training field... but MLSE wants it out next to their hockey practice facility because the building already constructed will have great facilities, particularly for the athletic trainers. they could just practice at Eglington flats if they wanted, but it doesn't have the facilities suitable for training. They also want to make sure 1 of their practice fields is perfectly maintained to their standards.

dantdot
07-02-2009, 12:25 PM
MLSE pulls out of $13M Lakeshore campus project
http://www.mirror-guardian.com/article/71884

We've known this for a while now though. I think they're mainly focusing on Lamport now.

Cashcleaner
07-02-2009, 12:30 PM
If I'm not mistaken do they not already practice on grass pitches. I think there is a facility they use in Oakville and another north of downtown I believe?

Yep. It's either Oakville or the Soccer Centre in Vaughan. One of the two.

DichioTFC
07-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Guys, guys. Of course the practise field will be grass!

The Argos use the football field at U of T Mississauga, why doesnt TFC practice at U of T downtown, its close to downtown and soccer recruits will get a chance to watch the professionals at work.