PDA

View Full Version : Johann Smith in Croatia

Ossington Mental Youth
07-01-2009, 06:16 AM
http://www.soccer365.com/us_news/story_29609234653.php
remember when this was a rumor?

Lucky Strike
07-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Hmm, good for him. He never complained about his little playing time so I hope it works out.

sweetlemon69
07-01-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm still curious what makes this guy pro... because he can run fast?

ensco
07-01-2009, 09:38 AM
^He had a beautiful long cross to set up Fuad last year at NYRB.

We really don't know what he's got. He never saw the field here.

rocker
07-01-2009, 09:50 AM
^He had a beautiful long cross to set up Fuad last year at NYRB. We really don't know what he's got. He never saw the field here.

I saw enough to know what he's got.

Everyone has a good game here and there. Even Cunningham scored a goal! ;)

Ossington Mental Youth
07-01-2009, 10:18 AM

yeah i had alot of hope when i saw that and expected that he would have made some advancements this year (a la Wynne) but didnt see anything from him the few times he took the field, i dont think we are missing much. I do wish him luck tho.

Fushida
07-01-2009, 01:00 PM

but it says something about his character if he's lazy as hell when he does come on for the last 10-20 odd minutes.

plus the fact that he had a single move to pass players which was getting read every single time by this season... a single good long cross coupled with a few more bad ones.....................

wish him the best either way but... good riddance.

Brooker
07-01-2009, 01:18 PM
good luck, stepover!

Canary Canuck
07-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Nothing more than a freak athlete. His touch was so heavy on the ball and the fast turf being so unforgiving it made this guy look even worse. I hope it works out for him though.

jloome
07-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Again, a player underrated by fans on these boards who think your either maradona or a piece of shit, with nothing in between.

He had a good first touch. He had a good first step. He had good acceleration, and delicate enough ball control to step around his defender at the byline, on a couple of occasions.

What he lacked was positional sense, which is really, really important. He didn't move well with the rest of the team, or into space, or off his defender. There are lots of players like that in MLS, and even a few more on our team.

But people don't shit all over them, because it's less "safe" to argue that someone who plays regularly doesn't have skills.

Typical pack mentality.

rocker
07-02-2009, 06:44 PM
But people don't shit all over them, because it's less "safe" to argue that someone who plays regularly doesn't have skills.

Typical pack mentality.

Almost every player on TFC gets shit on at some point.

I've heard people shit on Vitti (where's the goals?), Guevara (if he only cared more!), Velez (send him back to the USL), Marvell (cut his fuckin arms off!), Robinson (waste of money!), Barrett (can't score worth a shit!), Serioux (oh, he always gets red cards, dangerous!), Brennan (he's crap now, bench the captain!), Dichio (he's on his last legs!).

I also think you're balancing two perspectives on Johann... you make it sound like he had great skill on one hand, but no footy IQ on the other. As if one balances out the other. But his lack of footy IQ far greater outweighed his physical skills. Whether he was "shit" or not, I don't think he'll ever be a starter in MLS. He might even be one of those journeymen.

If many other players in MLS are like that -- then they are shit too :)

I'm a bit tired of the breaks players with great physical skills but no brain get.
In baseball they used to talk about the "5 tool player" -- a guy who has all the physical attributes but little of the baseball brain or eye at the plate. These guys were coveted because everyone thought they could teach the player how to play the game. Rarely does it work.

ensco
07-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Again, a player underrated by fans on these boards who think your either maradona or a piece of shit, with nothing in between.

He had a good first touch. He had a good first step. He had good acceleration, and delicate enough ball control to step around his defender at the byline, on a couple of occasions.

What he lacked was positional sense, which is really, really important. He didn't move well with the rest of the team, or into space, or off his defender. There are lots of players like that in MLS, and even a few more on our team.

Typical pack mentality.

You forgot to call out the collective manic depressive schizoid personality disorder.

Remember when most people here were ready to commit ritual seppuku because Jo Smith was exposed in the expansion draft?

Ossington Mental Youth
07-02-2009, 10:13 PM
i was one of them because i had high hopes that hed develop properly.
sadly never happened