PDA

View Full Version : FOUR MLS teams ousted by USL

jloome
07-01-2009, 12:25 AM
....from the US Open Cup.

http://usopencup.com/score/index_E.html

ANd apparently, according to Steve Goff's Washington Post Insider blog, DC barely made it past an amateur side.

Eek.

Yohan
07-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Darren Kenton? is this the same guy who was on trial with us? (plays for Rhinos now)

Yohan
07-01-2009, 12:29 AM
I'd like to know the lineups for all these games too

AdamZ
07-01-2009, 12:39 AM
any way to watch highlights from the open cup?

Corbin
07-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Try usllive.com

They show the all the games live. I think they'll have highlights up soon.

Krasno.pL.
07-01-2009, 12:58 AM
thats pretty crazy... and yea line ups would be nice too see
but good to know that the soccer's getting better around here , or maybe its all just a fluke.. haha.
good find

AdamZ
07-01-2009, 01:09 AM
Try usllive.com

They show the all the games live. I think they'll have highlights up soon.

cheers.

Wow, Seattle-Portland tomorrow. Should be great, will be rooting for the Timbers.

also, while I can't give you lineups, a look at the goalscorers suggests that the MLS sides were fielding some of their best players- there are some big names there, even on the losing sides.

Nodoubtguy
07-01-2009, 01:19 AM
a big cheers to the Battery!!! ousting Chivas with a 3-1 win

oxygenatedbrain
07-01-2009, 01:22 AM
OK then, lineups...more like second XIs with a sprinkling of desperate late substitution of big names...No starting keepers, Impact-like omissions of key personnel...

CHICAGO FIRE: GK-Andrew Dykstra, D-Brandon Prideaux (Tim Ward 29), D-Bakary Soumare, D-Daniel Woolard, D-Austin Washington (Marco Pappa 68), M-Mike Banner, M-Baggio Husidic, M-Peter Lowry (Chris Rolfe 76), M-Justin Mapp, F-Patrick Nyarko, F-Stefan Dimitrov.
WILMINGTON HAMMERHEADS: GK-Darryl Sattler, D-Tim Karalexis (Jerrit Thayer 82), D-Colin Falvey, D-Tweetie Walters, M-Graham Tatters, M-Kenny Bundy (Ryan Solle 75) M-Mark Briggs, M-Zeke Dombrowski, M-Chris Murray, F-Chris Bagley (Phil Hufstader 61), F-Jamie Watson.

Columbus Crew - Andy Gruenebaum, Jed Zayner, Eric Brunner, Andy Iro, Alex Grendi, Cory Elenio (Emmanuel Ekpo 86), Kevin Burns (Danny O’Rourke 90), Duncan Oughton, Stanley Nyazamba, Steven Lenhart (Alejandro Moreno 77), Jason Garey Substitutes Not Used: William Hesmer, Brian Carroll, Edie Gaven
Rochester Rhinos - Tim Melia, John Ball, Kenny Bertz, Brent Sancho (Darren Kenton 57), Ty Harden, Chris Nurse, Andrew Gregor, Ryan Heins, Mike Ambersley (Kwame Sarkodie 105), Tai Atieno (Mauricio Salles 96), Johnny Menyongar Substitutes Not Used: Scott Vallow, Nano Short, Ze Roberto, Warren Ukah)

Charleston
Dusty Hudock, Frankie Sanfilippo, Matt Bobo, Nelson Akwari, John Wilson, Chris Williams (Tsuyoshi Yoshitake 68), Tyler Hemming, Kenji Treschuk, Scott Buete, Randi Patterson, Darren Spicer (Dan Antoniuk 84)
Players Not Used - Keith Wiggans, Yeniel Bermudez, OBrian Woodbine, Patrick Tate, Tom Heinemann
Chivas
Lance Parker, Sasha Victorine, Jim Curtin, Carrey Talley, Jorge Flores, Chukwudi Chijindu (Bobby Burling 70), David Nagamura, Jesse Marsch, Bojan Stepanovic, Atiba Harris (Michael Lahoud 84), Eduardo Lillingston (Maykel Galindo 58)
Players Not Used - Zach Thornton, Cesar Zamora, Shavar Thomas

New England Revolution (4-4-2): Brad Knighton (GK), Chris Tierney, Emmanuel Osei, Darrius Barnes (Gabriel Badilla 46), Amaechi Igwe, Kenny Mansally (Sainey Nyassi 46), Jeff Larentowicz © (Pat Phelan 46), Mike Videira, Nico Colaluca, Stephane Assengue, Kheli Dube
Substitutes Not Used: Bobby Shuttleworth (GK) (finished ET with eight men on the pitch)
Harrisburg City Islanders (4-4-2): Chase Harrison (GK), Geoff Bloes, Tim Velten, Nate Baker, Anthony Calvano, Nicki Patterson, Ty Shipalane, Mo Odour © (David Schofield 71), Jason Pelletier (Cody Reinberg 106), Jay Fisher (Kai Kasiguran 98), Chad Severs
Substitutes Not Used: Tomer Chencinski (GK), Jason Massie, Phillip Buffington, Brandon Swartzendruber

KC: Boris Pardo; Rauwshan McKenzie, Johnathan Leathers, Lance Watson, Matt Marques; Roger Espinoza, Kurt Morsink, Graham Zusi (Herculez Gomez 77), Michael Harrington (Claudio Lopez 89); Abe Thompson, Michael Kraus (Josh Wolff 98) [not used: Kevin Hartman; Matt Besler, Aaron Hohlbein; Jack Jewsbury]
MIN: Nic Platter; Quavas Kirk (Chris Clements 91), Andres Arango, Jon Greenfield, Andrew Peterson (Dale Weiler 104); Jeremiah Bass, Lawrence Olum, Ricardo Sanchez; Rod Dyachenko (Geoffrey Myers 97), Brian Cvilikas, Melvin Tarley [not used: Matt Van Oekel; --; Dan O'Brien; Marco Terminesi]

twistedchinaman
07-01-2009, 01:24 AM
cheers.

Wow, Seattle-Portland tomorrow. Should be great, will be rooting for the Timbers.

also, while I can't give you lineups, a look at the goalscorers suggests that the MLS sides were fielding some of their best players- there are some big names there, even on the losing sides.

Seattle-Portland...whew, that's some heated rivalry from what I've been seeing so far.

prizby
07-01-2009, 01:28 AM
lol i'd have loved to seen the rochester game in rochester..see them beat columbus!!!

we could be seeing 2 or 3 USL teams in champions league next year the way its going!

twistedchinaman
07-01-2009, 01:31 AM
Austin v Houston -- Houston should come through.
Seattle v Portland -- I would say it's trending Seattle.

Cashcleaner
07-01-2009, 01:32 AM
What the fuck?!

Rochester draws with the Crew and advances on penalties. Wilmington beats the Fire. Harrisburgh City beats the Revs. Charleston beats Chivas.

Garber and his cohorts must be taking notice of these results and cringing. Either that or maybe the league really doesn't care. :noidea:

Yohan
07-01-2009, 01:36 AM
I don't think many MLS teams take US open cup games seriously.

USL teams beating MLS teams is pretty common occurence (Charleston went to finals last year IIRC)

DichioTFC
07-01-2009, 01:42 AM
What the fuck?!

Rochester draws with the Crew and advances on penalties. Wilmington beats the Fire. Harrisburgh City beats the Revs. Charleston beats Chivas.

Garber and his cohorts must be taking notice of these results and cringing. Either that or maybe the league really doesn't care. :noidea:

Thank goodness theres a Canadian champion the league can be proud of!!
:scarf::scarf::scarf:

twistedchinaman
07-01-2009, 01:55 AM
Either that or maybe the league really doesn't care. :noidea:

Since the inception of MLS in 1996, only once (1999, Rochester) has a non-MLS team won the US Open Cup (even then Charleston was the last non-MLS team to make the finals -- and that was last year!). So really...they probably see it as a fixture that they can simply waltz through. Until they hit a Harrisburg City Islanders. Or a Charleston Battery. Then they just get egg on their face and their underwear up to their armpits.

Let's hope a team like the Battery can win the whole kitten caboodle...

kodiakTFC
07-01-2009, 01:59 AM
The MLS teams fielded awful teams and if you don't know this by now then here it is... In MLS the top 8 players on each team kill USL talent but the depth is WAY in favor of USL due to our cap situation. For the USL the US Open Cup, similarly to the Canadian Championship, is the biggest thing for them so they field their best and play their hearts out.

With that said, 2 USL-2 teams beat MLS teams and that is utterly ridiculous as USL-2 is barely better than CSL. Seattle v. Portland tomorrow will be amazing, apparantly over 16,000 tickets have been sold and their expect somewhere around 18k come game time. That'll be the 4th highest attended US Open Cup game ever, the 1st if you don't include US Open Cup finals which DC played in.

phew.

twistedchinaman
07-01-2009, 03:18 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MLrvDjDSD2s&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MLrvDjDSD2s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Wow.

DOMIN8R
07-01-2009, 05:38 AM
It's no secret that American MLS teams hate playing the US Open Cup. As evidenced by the teams that they field - they are simply giving the competition the respect they think it deserves.

Kevin
07-01-2009, 06:59 AM
a big cheers to the Battery!!! ousting Chivas with a 3-1 win

... Let's hope a team like the Battery can win the whole kitten caboodle...

:hump:

I'm not buying the whole "MLS teams don't care" angle. The Charleston police department had to intervine a group of Chivas players/trainers at the end of the match. There were also several yellow cards and even a red card after regulation. I can't vouch for the other MLS teams last night but, Chivas was looking very frustrated. Over all it was a pretty physical match.

flatpicker
07-01-2009, 08:29 AM
I've never paid much attention to this tournament.
I guess it's their version of the FA Cup?
Canada needs to get some more USL teams so we can have a bigger tournament here.
And maybe have the CSL champ qualify as well.

ua-kozak_TFC
07-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Thank goodness theres a Canadian champion the league can be proud of!!
:scarf::scarf::scarf:

Not sure if you are serious or half joking...but this trophy doesn;t really mean anything.... it means that we won a chance to play head to head against a USL team to enter the group stages of a competition where other MLS teams are alraedy present...
This trophy is better than nothing... but this should be ours NO MATTER what every year...

JamboAl
07-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Not sure if you are serious or half joking...but this trophy doesn;t really mean anything.... it means that we won a chance to play head to head against a USL team to enter the group stages of a competition where other MLS teams are alraedy present...
This trophy is better than nothing... but this should be ours NO MATTER what every year...

You must be joking. TFC does not have a God given right to win the V's Cup. If it wasn't for an unbelievable performance in Montreal, we wouldn't won this year either.

billyfly
07-01-2009, 09:24 AM
No one is saying its our "right." We are saying we should try and play hard every year and win the V Cup.

rocker
07-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Interesting fact: TFC is the points record-holder of the Nutrilite V Cup... most points in the two years it's been held :)

TFC -- 14 pts
Van -- 13 pts
MTL -- 7 pts

Anyhow, for the US Open Cup -- until MLS expands rosters, and until fans really care about the US Open Cup, MLS teams will always put out B-team rosters for these games. Why risk your few key players on these games when season and playoffs are more important?

I don't even think it's an issue of the MLS depth players being equal to USL 2 players. This is about competition. YOu take a team of USL 2 players who has played together regularly and put them against the MLS subs who have been sitting on the bench for a season, and the competitive juices of the USL 2 team plus its chemistry of starting players, will probably make it a challenging match. and produce some upsets.

Mikey
07-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Having watched a few games I don't see any real differneces in quality of play between the two leagues. There is of course a huge difference in marketing though.

Cuchulain
07-01-2009, 09:59 AM
I wonder if a merger between these two leagues isn't far off. It would allow for a league to be relegated to.

Keystone FC
07-01-2009, 11:02 AM
I wonder if a merger between these two leagues isn't far off. It would allow for a league to be relegated to.

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

Until Marcos resigns or dies as head of the USL, the USL will never become the MLS2. Even if they lose all of there USL 1 franchises to the MLS, economy, or any other type of reduction. There is more hope in the NPSL merging with the USL than the USL merging with the MLS.

Keystone FC
07-01-2009, 11:07 AM
:hump:

I'm not buying the whole "MLS teams don't care" angle. The Charleston police department had to intervine a group of Chivas players/trainers at the end of the match. There were also several yellow cards and even a red card after regulation. I can't vouch for the other MLS teams last night but, Chivas was looking very frustrated. Over all it was a pretty physical match.

I agree Kev, but I also think that the MLS clubs won't put their players, club, franchise at risk for a cup that pays out next to nothing for the champion. I think if more money was given to the victor and that some form of recognition was given in the form of a badge or star for the victor the MLS will take the Open Cup more seriously. Until this happens the MLS clubs will take the Open Cup with interested intent but no heart.

drewski
07-01-2009, 11:07 AM
US MKLS teams don't need to care so much about their cup since they have 3 other ways into the Champions League

James17930
07-01-2009, 11:20 AM
I don't know if it's the MLS teams not taking it seriously, but maybe the USL taking it WAY more seriously than usual since winning it would now give them a Champions League berth.

keem-o-sabi
07-01-2009, 11:27 AM
they were playing all reserve players in those matches. So players who don't play at all any longer (due to the stupid reserve league being cancelled...) are finally getting a match and so it showed.

Kevvv
07-01-2009, 11:37 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MLrvDjDSD2s&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MLrvDjDSD2s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Wow.

I take it they don't sell many salads in Portland.

AdamZ
07-01-2009, 12:41 PM
looking at the US Open Cup makes me really sad that only three teams contest the Voyageurs Cup. I want to see Toronto Croatia or whoever knock Vancouver out.

Cashcleaner
07-01-2009, 01:01 PM
^ If you want to make that a reality, and I think we all do, we've got to start promoting the competition more. Tell your friends about it and encourage them to buy tickets or go on a roadtrip to Vancouver or Montreal for the matches. The more popular the Voyageurs Cup becomes, the more likely the format will open up for more teams to play.

Brooker
07-01-2009, 01:36 PM
seattle v portland game today is gonna be nuts!!

i cant fucking WAIT for Portland to join MLS in 2011. those guys kick ass.

gonna make a lot of teams support in the MLS look like shit.

Blizzard
07-01-2009, 04:26 PM

Uh, ya, sure. :deadhorse:

How about this, if Charleston win's USL1, they pay the worse team in MLS (San Jose or LA or New York) $35 million to take their place! Indemnification we could call it I guess.

Charleston would then also have to expand their stadium to MLS standards at the cost of uh, I don't know, $35 million. :drinking: While their little park is nice, it certainly isn't up to MLS standards.

So, ya, if Charleston wants to do that, perhaps that can work! Ya, that makes a lot of sense.

$70 million ..... is that too much?

Wait a second Charleston, you'll pass? Good idea Charleston. :hump:

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
07-01-2009, 05:38 PM
seattle v portland game today is gonna be nuts!!

i cant fucking WAIT for Portland to join MLS in 2011. those guys kick ass.

gonna make a lot of teams support in the MLS look like shit.

aparrently seattle could have an army of supporters hitting portland for this one......could get nasty as they hate the F out of each other!

Toronto Ruffrider
07-01-2009, 06:43 PM
I hope these MLS teams realise that there's a CCL spot at stake.;) Not ever team can make it to the MLS Cup or win the Supporters' Shield.

James17930
07-01-2009, 07:17 PM
The CSL teams cannot play in the V-Cup right now because they are semi-pro. They are not financially viable enough to be able to host Champions League matches or travel for said matches.

Until that time, they will not be eligible to play in the Cup.

redcard
07-01-2009, 07:29 PM
looking at the US Open Cup makes me really sad that only three teams contest the Voyageurs Cup. I want to see Toronto Croatia or whoever knock Vancouver out.

I dont see that happening until these teams get proper stadiums and get rid of the ethnic names...

Yohan
07-01-2009, 07:43 PM
too bad the Houston vs Austin stream is sucking right now

Cashcleaner
07-01-2009, 11:36 PM
The CSL teams cannot play in the V-Cup right now because they are semi-pro. They are not financially viable enough to be able to host Champions League matches or travel for said matches.

Until that time, they will not be eligible to play in the Cup.

CONCACAF may not allow them to play in Champions League, but I don't that excludes them from the Voyageurs Cup.