PDA

View Full Version : Champions League Matchup

Azzurri86
06-30-2009, 03:50 PM
Out of curiousity... does the now confirmed July 29th date for our game against PR mean that our players will be exempt from the all-star game or if selected will they have to go?

Velvet Elvis
06-30-2009, 03:53 PM
that's a good question

Rudi
06-30-2009, 03:56 PM
They will not go to the All-Star Game.

If named to the All-Star squad, however, they will get a nice bonus.

dcdcdc
06-30-2009, 03:57 PM
This situation also affects DC United who play in Washington on the 28th so it would be interesting if representatives from two teams were missing.

Rudi
06-30-2009, 04:02 PM
This situation also affects DC United who play in Washington on the 28th so it would be interesting if representatives from two teams were missing.
New York as well, but they won't need to worry about having players named to the All-Star Game. ;)

Even without the three sides, there are still 12 teams from which to create a very good lineup.

DavydMT
06-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Time to stop this game, next year should be the last one. The schedule is already crowded and with 3 new teams, I don't see any use for this game, it can't be that big of a money maker or a promotion tool.

Cas87
06-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Time to stop this game, next year should be the last one. The schedule is already crowded and with 3 new teams, I don't see any use for this game, it can't be that big of a money maker or a promotion tool.

Stop the game only if they insist on bringing in foreign competition.

With the 3 new teams coming in over two years I say keep it but in an East vs. West matchup to showcase ALL the talent in the league.

In three years bring in a big name to play the game (MAN UTD!!!!:flare:)

Dunkers
06-30-2009, 08:59 PM
haha this is great! If the MLS wont respect international dates, Concacaf will not respect MLS dates! way to go Concacaf!!! Take that Don G!

FluSH
07-01-2009, 08:07 AM
They will not go to the All-Star Game.

If named to the All-Star squad, however, they will get a nice bonus.

Even if they don't play?

...let's start voting!!!

ensco
07-01-2009, 08:16 AM
I think the allstar game should be played on the same weekend as the MLS Cup. On the Saturday. Players from all teams except the two finalists. Play Zenit or CSKA or similar.

Cuchulain
07-01-2009, 09:54 AM
I think the allstar game should be played on the same weekend as the MLS Cup. On the Saturday. Players from all teams except the two finalists. Play Zenit or CSKA or similar.

I like this idea.

MG42
07-01-2009, 09:58 AM

That is a great idea

FluSH
07-01-2009, 11:18 AM

+3...

rocker
07-01-2009, 12:10 PM
the reason they put all star games midseason is it creates another "big day" in a slow time of the year to place the focus on the league. they wouldn't put it next to the MLS Cup since the MLS Cup is the focus of that weekend.

prizby
07-01-2009, 12:35 PM
the reason they put all star games midseason is it creates another "big day" in a slow time of the year to place the focus on the league. they wouldn't put it next to the MLS Cup since the MLS Cup is the focus of that weekend.

that is not true...the reason is because they would never get a european team at the beginning or end of the season

rocker
07-01-2009, 01:18 PM
that is not true...the reason is because they would never get a european team at the beginning or end of the season

I was talking about allstar games in general.
let me clarify -- the reason Major League Baseball and NHL put allstar games at the middle is to draw attention to their leagues in the middle point of the season.

European leagues don't have all star games, so MLS mimics the American leagues.

Thus putting the Allstar game next to MLS Cup would defeat the marketing/celebratory purpose of allstar games.

Second, to your point, the timing of the MLS allstar game has nothing to do with European team availability. The first allstar games in MLS were between the East and the West divisions of MLS... an internal game, just like baseball. The allstar game in baseball is not a game between MLB allstars and a Japanese league team.

NateDoGG
07-01-2009, 02:09 PM
why in the mother of all fucks would they put this game on all-star day?
is there not such a thing as all-star break?
wtf? we will lose DERO

STOP VOTING FOR OUR BOYS IN RED TO MAKE THE ALLSTAR TEAM

prizby
07-01-2009, 07:41 PM
I was talking about allstar games in general.
let me clarify -- the reason Major League Baseball and NHL put allstar games at the middle is to draw attention to their leagues in the middle point of the season.

European leagues don't have all star games, so MLS mimics the American leagues.

Thus putting the Allstar game next to MLS Cup would defeat the marketing/celebratory purpose of allstar games.

Second, to your point, the timing of the MLS allstar game has nothing to do with European team availability. The first allstar games in MLS were between the East and the West divisions of MLS... an internal game, just like baseball. The allstar game in baseball is not a game between MLB allstars and a Japanese league team.

NBA/NHL aren't at hte mid point...if anything they are real close (NBA) to the trade deadline, which would get the spot light...MLB can kind of be said the same...NFL has theirs at the end of the season so does the NLL

the real important reason why the MLS have their game in the summer is because they could never get a european team at the end of the season

ensco
07-01-2009, 07:49 PM

Except that MLS Cup is a nothing event, in the scheme of things. Wouldn't it be nice to have all the MLS stars in town for the ultimate N. American soccer weekend to maximize the media impact? Wouldn't that increase the interest in attending from hardcore fans and supporters groups across the league. Wouldn't more people here make plans to go to Seattle for the Cup, because you'll see two interesting games, and even if our team doesn't make it, you'll get to see DeRo in the all star game?

James17930
07-01-2009, 08:17 PM
why in the mother of all fucks would they put this game on all-star day?
is there not such a thing as all-star break?
wtf? we will lose DERO

STOP VOTING FOR OUR BOYS IN RED TO MAKE THE ALLSTAR TEAM

Umm -- read the thread. :canada: