PDA

View Full Version : Onward! - Mid-season burnout

Ben Knight
06-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Predicting what's going to happen to this team ain't easy!!

http://onwardsoccer.com/2009/06/30/mid-season-burnout/

MG42
06-30-2009, 12:23 PM
sadly, I don't see us making the playoffs with so many road games left :(

Carts
06-30-2009, 12:24 PM
sadly, I don't see us making the playoffs with so many road games left :(

I keep trying to talk myself out of that very same thought...

Carts...

Yohan
06-30-2009, 12:29 PM

Carts...
looking at the schedule, I don't see many road games that TFC can take 3 points from...

then again, no one expected Dallas to spank Chicago 3-0 at Toyota Park either

funny league, MLS is

MG42
06-30-2009, 12:39 PM
looking at the schedule, I don't see many road games that TFC can take 3 points from...

funny league, MLS is

So true...who know's what will happen :lol:

TorontoBlades
06-30-2009, 02:52 PM
just enjoy the ride bitches

rocker
06-30-2009, 04:10 PM

Carts...

what did I tell you guys before the Montreal game!!!!!

ensco
06-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Out of 6 road games so far, we've played well in 2, and stank the joint out in 4. Need to get that ratio up from 33% to about 60%, or we're done.

Redcoe15
06-30-2009, 06:41 PM

funny league, MLS is

So true...who know's what will happen :lol:
2009 MLS Cup Champions: TORONTO FC!!! :scarf: :D

kodiakTFC
06-30-2009, 07:36 PM
If we were to be eliminated from the playoffs, I would be okay as long as we make it into the damn champions league.

H Bomb
06-30-2009, 07:55 PM
All we need is one regular goal scoring forward....come on Ali Gerba

DichioTFC
07-01-2009, 01:08 AM
I looked at the team's remaining away games, but moreso based upon the opponents' amount of rest (with the assumption that the Reds would either win or draw their remaining home games)

July 11 - SJ (8 days rest) Winnable game
July 25 - KKKrew (7 days rest) Difficult game (TFC on 3 days rest)
Aug 1 - Revolution (7 days rest) Difficult game (TFC on 3 days rest)
Aug 22 - Chivas USA (7 days rest) Draw likely result
Aug 29 - Seattle (6 days rest) Possible draw
Sept 5 - Colorado (6 days rest) Winnable game
Oct 10 - SJ (3 days rest) Crush them like Stalin
Oct 17 - RSL (3 days rest) Winnable game

so of course my very liberal estimates, 4/8 of the away games they could get a result. Combined with the 2 potential draws and expected results at home (beat Houston, DC, Colorado, SJ; draw with RSL), that gives them 27 points, letting them finish the season with 49 points (second place in the East?)

We should probably be more positive about their chances. The boys are getting their rest now, theres a hiccup in the schedule with the Real Madrid game, but the boys will play through that and there will be a level of continuity.

The best is yet to come.
:)

Shakes McQueen
07-01-2009, 01:19 AM
Think about it this way:

I assume we are all in agreement that this team is better than the one we fielded last year, no matter how small the improvement is, in your opinion.

Last year's squad pretty narrowly missed the playoffs, despite having an absolute DISASTER of a season for about 2.5 months in the summer. Remember, we were still playing meaningful games right up until about the second last week of the season.

This season points are split up far more evenly in the East, and the ridiculous number of draws have reduced the amount of total points going around.

With all of this in mind, I think our chances are still good. Especially since you can probably assume our team will only get better with the arrival of Gerba, and whoever else is on the way.

- Scott

Yohan
07-01-2009, 01:29 AM
Sept 5 - Colorado (6 days rest) Winnable game
denver. high altitude. we nicked a win last year, but Colorado is a good team this year. another loss is more likely IMO

DichioTFC
07-01-2009, 01:39 AM
denver. high altitude. we nicked a win last year, but Colorado is a good team this year. another loss is more likely IMO

Colorado and TFC are playing a home & home series that week and I was thinking theres a good chance Colorado could take it, but my estimates were very liberal so I gave the boys the benefit of the doubt. Plus I dont think Colorado is all that good. Mastroeni, Ihemelu and Cummings are all quality, but the depth just isnt there, IMO.

Still, the point is that not only will the boys make the playoffs, they'll make second place.

Yohan
07-01-2009, 02:14 AM
Plus I dont think Colorado is all that good. Mastroeni, Ihemelu and Cummings are all quality, but the depth just isnt there, IMO.

Plus Conor Casey, Terry Cooke, Matt Pickens. Add in couple of good role players like Cory Gibbs, Mehdi Ballouchy, Pat Noonan and you have a very strong MLS side, coached by some dude who seems to know what he's doing. (Certainly better than Clavijo)

twistedchinaman
07-01-2009, 02:28 AM
Here is the schedule:

11 Jul @ SJ (13 days) - Winnable
18 Jul vs. Houston (6 days) - Winnable
25 Jul @ KKKrew (2 days) - It's Shitlumbus. Win or fuck off.
1 Aug @ New England (2 days) - Depends on how rough PRI match was.
15 Aug vs. DC (7 days) - Winnable.
=== CCL Matchday 1 (18-20 Aug) ===
22 Aug @ Chivas (6 days/1-3 days) - Could be a tough one.
=== CCL Matchday 2 (25-27 Aug) ===
29 Aug @ Seattle (6 days/1-3 days) - Again, win or fuck off. Losing = unacceptable.
5 Sep @ Colorado (6 days) - Another toughie.
12 Sep vs. Colorado (6 days) - Winnable.
=== CCL Matchday 3 (15-17 Sep) ===
19 Sep @ LA (6 days/1-3 days) - Heat dependent, but we've beaten the Galaxatives with Goldenballs and Posh Spice here in 35+ degree heat. Losing = unacceptable.
=== CCL Matchday 4 (22-24 Sep) ===
26 Sep @ Chicago (6 days/1-3 days) - Tough but a good one to win.
=== CCL Matchday 5 (28 Sep-1 Oct) ===
10 Oct vs. San Jose (13 days/8-11 days) - Winnable
17 Oct vs. RSL (6 days) - Winnable
24 Oct @ Red Craps (6 days) - Winnable

Every game is winnable. They need to show up and put in a full 90' of effort. And again, I personally will not accept losses to Shitlumbus, Seattle or the Galaxatives. And neither should they. These are not only character games (little rest, coming off CONCACAF matches, etc.), but they are divisional rivals/Seattle/Real Madrid wannabes.

I will not walk out of Qwest Field on 29 August upset over a dismal performance. I've walked away from three games mad as hell -- Seattle cannot and will not be the fourth. Period.

DichioTFC
07-01-2009, 02:28 AM
Plus Conor Casey, Terry Cooke, Matt Pickens. Add in couple of good role players like Cory Gibbs, Mehdi Ballouchy, Pat Noonan and you have a very strong MLS side, coached by some dude who seems to know what he's doing. (Certainly better than Clavijo)

I considered Cooke, Pickens and Noonan, but thats the extent of their depth. IMO they're very good, but I'm confident that TFC can take them home and away.

twistedchinaman
07-01-2009, 02:40 AM

Better than Clavijo, yes. But again...inconsistent.

Colorado's season so far: LWWDLDWDDWDWDL = 21 pts/14 gms
Ours: WDLDLWWDDLWLLWWL = 22 pts/16 gms

As Dr. Evil once famously said, "We're not so different, you and I"...this applies. They and we have a good lineup, but come game day...well, yanno the rest. The Crapids' last game against Seattle speaks volumes.