PDA

View Full Version : TFC Roster

backbeat
06-29-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm totally confused as to what's going on with our roster. I know this has been discussed within other threads and haven't seen a thread of its own so....if so then delete.

what is the scoop here? I had thought that with ridding our roster of Harmse, Ricketts and Smith and the single addition of Gerba that something would happen within a few days!!

we are critically short i think in the mid field. there are very little in the way of even rumours of players coming on board. i would have thought we'd be doing something fairly soon after dumping these players. i mean why not keep them until we bring on the new players.

it seems weird to me - maybe it's just me but if we get any injuries we're in trouble.

has anyone heard anything that seems likely to happen soon?? it's really quiet!

Nuvinho
06-29-2009, 03:18 PM
probably waiting for July 15th when we can sign players.

The MLS rules are so confusing that you don't know if a player is unattached, he may have to wait til July 15th.

But getting rid of a few players, before July 1st saves the team cap dollars.

Nodoubtguy
06-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Cummins said that there were a few things in the works, but we all know how that goes....right??

Beach_Red
06-29-2009, 03:21 PM
What happened to those Jamie Smith rumours?

Of course, TFC is probably making lots of offers to players who will then take those offers and see if they can find a European team to back a better one. Not much we can do about that.

Carter
06-29-2009, 03:25 PM
What happened to those Jamie Smith rumours?

Of course, TFC is probably making lots of offers to players who will then take those offers and see if they can find a European team to back a better one. Not much we can do about that.

Again the July 15th transfer window needs to open, its quite possible the rumors could start back up again in the next couple weeks. ;)

Lucky Strike
06-29-2009, 03:29 PM
probably waiting for July 15th when we can sign players.

The MLS rules are so confusing that you don't know if a player is unattached, he may have to wait til July 15th.

But getting rid of a few players, before July 1st saves the team cap dollars.

That sums it up pretty well. I'm looking forward to what's to come (hopefully there actually IS something).

Carter
06-29-2009, 03:30 PM
That sums it up pretty well. I'm looking forward to what's to come (hopefully there actually IS something).

JDG?

Lucky Strike
06-29-2009, 03:35 PM
JDG?

Keep your fingers, hands, arms, eyes, legs, feet and toes crossed. But seriously, I'll be astonished if that happens.

Carter
06-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Keep your fingers, hands, arms, eyes, legs, feet and toes crossed. But seriously, I'll be astonished if that happens.

oh they are crossed, it makes it slightly difficult to work though.

i would be flabbergasted...

backbeat
06-29-2009, 03:38 PM
what gets me is how quiet it is - there's usually alot more noise

shhh be vewy vewy quiet i'm hunting pwayers

ensco
06-29-2009, 03:40 PM
what gets me is how quiet it is - there's usually alot more noise

shhh be vewy vewy quiet i'm hunting pwayers

Mo is waiting to see what Sir Alex does to replace Ronaldo/Tevez first.

backbeat
06-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Mo is waiting to see what Sir Alex does to replace Ronaldo/Tevez first.

maybe it's so quiet this time around that Mo will actually pull a wabbit out of his hat!!

i hope so.

DOMIN8R
06-29-2009, 03:46 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~cheetah24/wabbit.jpg

DichioTFC
06-29-2009, 03:48 PM
I highly doubt JDG would be coming to TFC, it would have been leaked by now. But Mo said on TFC TV that there was one more signing that would make the club complete. He's got the target and they're in discussions, he also mentioned that he was fairly confident that he would make it happen.

We need someone to help the defencive side of things, like a DM. TFC have allowed the third-most goals in the league, behind NYRB and San Jose Conseco.

Beach_Red
06-29-2009, 04:04 PM
So, if there's a $10 million offer out there for JDG, will they offer it to someone else when he officially says no? That is, when he signs with someone else.

Derko
06-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Da Hunter killed a Wabbit, Da Hunter killed a Wabbit!!

TFCRegina
06-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Right now, we essentially have 17 players who are capable/ready to play. Not inspiring, when you dress 18 for the game.

Yohan
06-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Right now, we essentially have 17 players who are capable/ready to play. Not inspiring, when you dress 18 for the game.
maybe TFC should save up for this guy?

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/86/italy/2009/06/29/1353997/agent-pavel-nedved-considering-mls-move

haha

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Suggestion of an announcement at the end of this week at usector board: http://z15.invisionfree.com/U_Sector/index.php?showtopic=10918&st=120

CoachGT
06-29-2009, 06:23 PM

Duck Season!!!!!

prizby
06-29-2009, 06:44 PM

who wouldn't make your list of 17?

Nerepis
06-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Duck Season!!!!!

Wabbit Season!!!!!

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-29-2009, 06:50 PM

Not sure who TFCRegina has in mind, but management seems to have no intention of playing Gabe Gala under any circumstances. Even though I think he should get some playing time, there’s no point in TFC using a roster spot on him if they have no intention of ever playing him.

Wooster_TFC
06-30-2009, 06:48 AM

We currently have 21 players on our roster: http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=3237

Gerba is not available until July 15th - 20
Sanyang is not available until Aug 1st - 19
OBW is hurt - 18
Gala likely won't play - 17

I believe the reasoning with Gala is that he plays for UofT and they don't want to ruin his eligibility to get a 10 minute run-out at the end of the game. (I'm pretty sure the eligibility is ruined when you see game action, not just sit on the bench). Obviously he'd be available if there was an injury, but why waste some game opportunities when you don't have to?

sulfur
06-30-2009, 07:56 AM
OBW dressed and was a bench player a couple of weeks ago. Against the NJ Energy Drink on the 24th.

Wooster_TFC
06-30-2009, 08:05 AM
OBW dressed and was a bench player a couple of weeks ago. Against the NJ Energy Drink on the 24th.

Well then, goes to show what I know. So we are at 18? Although, I doubt OBW was going to actually play that game...

Nuvinho
06-30-2009, 08:35 AM
^^ CC said he just wanted to get him on the bench and absorb the atmosphere of a professional game.

Steve
06-30-2009, 08:35 AM
So, if there's a $10 million offer out there for JDG, will they offer it to someone else when he officially says no? That is, when he signs with someone else.

Let's not get too caught up with this idea. Will they offer it to someone else? I sincerely hope not (at least not as a knee jerk "well, JDG rejected us, anyone have a good lead?" kind of response). I think the figures that have been floating around have shown that both Mo and MLSE are willing to put down a good chunk of change for the RIGHT DP. Don't take that to mean for "any player willing to take the money". If JDG turns it down, I'm sure Mo will have his eye on other players, but he will make sure that player is who we want first (fits in well in the locker room, team player, skilled, marketable, plays an appropriate position, etc).

So, if JDG turns the offer down, expect TFC to go DPless for this season.

Beach_Red
06-30-2009, 08:49 AM
Let's not get too caught up with this idea. Will they offer it to someone else? I sincerely hope not (at least not as a knee jerk "well, JDG rejected us, anyone have a good lead?" kind of response). I think the figures that have been floating around have shown that both Mo and MLSE are willing to put down a good chunk of change for the RIGHT DP. Don't take that to mean for "any player willing to take the money". If JDG turns it down, I'm sure Mo will have his eye on other players, but he will make sure that player is who we want first (fits in well in the locker room, team player, skilled, marketable, plays an appropriate position, etc).

So you can err on the side of caution or take a chance.

It may different for a DP, but TFC's player signings have been running about 50-50, haven't they? For every Dichio and DeRo there's a Robert and a Ricketts.

It's never going to be a sure thing, they can never be 100% certain that it's the RIGHT DP. As long as the rule is in place, it should be used for the best guy the team can find now.

Seattle has proven that even in the first year a DP can really help. If TFC have to sign their second or third choice this year, so be it. But the time has passed to not sign anyone, now it's just empty excuses.

Carter
06-30-2009, 08:49 AM
its actually higher than 10....

yeah i agree with you on this one..

prizby
06-30-2009, 09:06 AM
We currently have 21 players on our roster: http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=3237

OBW is hurt - 18

I believe the reasoning with Gala is that he plays for UofT and they don't want to ruin his eligibility to get a 10 minute run-out at the end of the game. (I'm pretty sure the eligibility is ruined when you see game action, not just sit on the bench). Obviously he'd be available if there was an injury, but why waste some game opportunities when you don't have to?

Thanks for sharing...i agree and disagree about Gala...the problem is, he is committed to TFC til the end of season which means he is only available to UofT for the playoffs (so to keep eligibility for 1 to 6 games doesn't make much sense) (should TFC make the playoffs then he misses more). This happened to him and Elkinson last year...which pissed me off cuz their first playoff game was against Laurentian (MY SCHOOL!) and we lost 2-1, both goals were set up by Gala...had he played 1 minute with TFC...I am certain LU would have won that game...its amazing considering that just about anyone who tries out for the LU makes the team while UofT have 40 or 50 players at their disposal to choose from...i could rant about this all day :P

DichioTFC
06-30-2009, 09:24 AM
maybe TFC should save up for this guy?

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/86/italy/2009/06/29/1353997/agent-pavel-nedved-considering-mls-move

haha

i love how european footballers want to come to the MLS once they're past their prime to "prove themselves".

btw, i was telling people we should've signed Ronaldo for at least the end of this year... apparently he's done well for himself
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronaldo#Corinthians

DichioTFC
06-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Not sure who TFCRegina has in mind, but management seems to have no intention of playing Gabe Gala under any circumstances. Even though I think he should get some playing time, there’s no point in TFC using a roster spot on him if they have no intention of ever playing him.

Gala is a 19 year old who trains with the first team and gets to see leadership in action with Jimmy, Robbo, etc. It seems like they're treating this like how the NFL treats first round QBs, he's the heir in waiting for Jimmy's LB position so there's noneed to rush him out there, we want 10 great years of football, not just 10 mediocre games.

I believe the reasoning with Gala is that he plays for UofT and they don't want to ruin his eligibility to get a 10 minute run-out at the end of the game. (I'm pretty sure the eligibility is ruined when you see game action, not just sit on the bench).

Apparently Gabe has had 6 professional games with the, alloff the bench if I'm not mistaken.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabe_Gala#Professional (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabe_Gala#Professional)

I think Coach doesn't want to rock the boat, give the established players more time and let the rookies wait (would you really want Gabe starting over JB or DeRo?). He's an injury replacement this year and as he develops, the hope is that he'll become a star.

Wooster_TFC
06-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Gala is a 19 year old who trains with the first team and gets to see leadership in action with Jimmy, Robbo, etc. It seems like they're treating this like how the NFL treats first round QBs, he's the heir in waiting for Jimmy's LB position so there's noneed to rush him out there, we want 10 great years of football, not just 10 mediocre games.

Apparently Gabe has had 6 professional games with the, alloff the bench if I'm not mistaken.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabe_Gala#Professional (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabe_Gala#Professional)

I think Coach doesn't want to rock the boat, give the established players more time and let the rookies wait (would you really want Gabe starting over JB or DeRo?). He's an injury replacement this year and as he develops, the hope is that he'll become a star.

Maybe there's a time limit on it or something, and I'd assume they'd be less concerned this year than last due to the fact that there's no reserve league anymore, although they might toss him in with the academy kids for all I know.

I'm not very informed on the CIS eligibility rules, so it really was just a guess based on comments that have been made on here (mainly about the Lombardo situation).

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-30-2009, 12:51 PM

OBW is hurt - 18

No, he’s started 3 games already. His lack of playing time has nothing to do with CIS eligibility rules.

Nuvinho
06-30-2009, 01:00 PM
on the news section.......Poz is coming back?

oxygenatedbrain
06-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Hey kids!

Just popping by to let you know that according to CIS reg 40.10.6.2.3.9, "Specific to...MLS, players who participate exclusively under a Developmental, or Developmental International Contract, are classified as amateurs."

See Djekanovic, Srdjan, who won a national championship with UBC the autumn after he made 17,600 bucks for TFC...

Also, does anyone involved in the game project Gala as anything other than an attacking player? I mean, seriously?

jloome
06-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Hey kids!

Just popping by to let you know that according to CIS reg 40.10.6.2.3.9, "Specific to...MLS, players who participate exclusively under a Developmental, or Developmental International Contract, are classified as amateurs."

See Djekanovic, Srdjan, who won a national championship with UBC the autumn after he made 17,600 bucks for TFC...

Also, does anyone involved in the game project Gala as anything other than an attacking player? I mean, seriously?

They've not only roster listed him as a back for a couple of years, they played him there a couple of times, and I believe that was his natural position . Obvious in that one game against DC (or was it NY?) that he's a good winger, though, holding off defenders twice his size and hanging onto the ball.

TFCRegina
06-30-2009, 05:04 PM

White (still listed as injured), Gerba (ineligible), the other Gambian (ineligible), Cronin (Gold Cup).