PDA

View Full Version : Respect to Mayor Miller (Football Comment Only)

ensco
06-29-2009, 03:13 PM
It's a slow TFC news day, so I thought I'd point out what Mayor Miller does for soccer in this city.

Yesterday he wore a TFC shirt in an official capacity, as he often does.

I have seen him on numerous occasions on gameday at BMO. He sits with the rest of us, not in a suite.

The day after the miracle, Miller did an absolutely incredible thing: he endorsed Hamilton over Toronto for a second NHL team in southern Ontario. Stop and think about that for a second, in the context of the City's ongoing negotiations with MLSE over grass at BMO. Miller could get a lot of flack for actually saying out loud that he'd prefer that a new multi-million dollar business go someplace else.

I know he's getting pounded in the polls right now, and you may not like him, or his politics, or his handling of the garbage strike....I get that. I didn't vote for him myself, and I've never met him or anyone who works for him (other than at BMO on gameday!).

But he is really standing up for us every day, at no small personal risk to his career.

Beach_Red
06-29-2009, 03:20 PM
I met him once at Word on the Street. I was wearing my TFC hat and he stopped and said, "Nice hat."

Yohan
06-29-2009, 03:35 PM
The day after the miracle, Miller did an absolutely incredible thing: he endorsed Hamilton over Toronto for a second NHL team in southern Ontario. Stop and think about that for a second, in the context of the City's ongoing negotiations with MLSE over grass at BMO. Miller could get a lot of flack for actually saying out loud that he'd prefer that a new multi-million dollar business go someplace else.
but i thought you said football comments only ;)

TFC07
06-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Yeah, Miller is a great ambassador for city of Toronto and people living in Toronto. Unlike some other politicians in this country, he doesn't sell out for corporation.

eustacchio
06-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Are you talking about the pink jersey he wore at the Pride parade?

DOMIN8R
06-29-2009, 03:43 PM
There is no bigger supporter of our collective footie causes. Mayor Miller supports our football interests. Remember that, when it comes time to vote.

Jay P
06-29-2009, 03:51 PM
I remember he wore his red jersey @ the parade last year.

TFC07
06-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Are you talking about the pink jersey he wore at the Pride parade?

Does anybody have a pic of him wearing pink jersey? lol

Yohan
06-29-2009, 03:59 PM
There is no bigger supporter of our collective footie causes. Mayor Miller supports our football interests. Remember that, when it comes time to vote.
he also supports taking money out of Toronto by driving away tourism...

not to mention Toronto being so heavily in debt...

(sorry. couldn't resist the politics)

Hooligan69
06-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Does anybody have a pic of him wearing pink jersey? lol

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2009/06/29/to-miller-pride-062809.jpg

ensco
06-29-2009, 04:05 PM
he also supports taking money out of Toronto by driving away tourism...

not to mention Toronto being so heavily in debt...

(sorry. couldn't resist the politics)

Not everything is black or white. I voted against him because of his stance on the island airport. I especially don't love many of his "supporters" on city council.

But next time around I will vote for him.

JonO
06-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Meh - he won his way into office on a single (useless) point - he's not getting my vote just because he supports TFC

Roogsy
06-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Regardless of his politics...he is an ardent supporter of TFC. I think he's proven that time and time again.

How many interviews has he given on TV where he is wearing some sort of TFC gear? The man is a one-man promotional machine for TFC and I for one am grateful for his efforts.

Can't we just acknowledge the good a person does without always having to drum up that which we disagree with?

Let's not turn this into a political thread.

TFC07
06-29-2009, 04:10 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2009/06/29/to-miller-pride-062809.jpg

hahaha...thanks for pic.

FluSH
06-29-2009, 04:14 PM
After seeing the game... the pink jersey's actually look good on the field...

Blizzard
06-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Meh - he won his way into office on a single (useless) point - he's not getting my vote just because he supports TFC

He also pushed through the deal for the stadium including the offer of free land at the Ex and some money for construction.

Roogsy
06-29-2009, 04:15 PM
After seeing the game... the pink jersey's actually look good on the field...

:eek:

You take that back pendejo!

FluSH
06-29-2009, 04:16 PM
:eek:

You take that back pendejo!

Haha or that could just be because we WON the game =P

InTheCrowd
06-29-2009, 04:32 PM
I support Toronto FC too.

Toronto_Bhoy
06-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Regardless of his politics...he is an ardent supporter of TFC. I think he's proven that time and time again.

How many interviews has he given on TV where he is wearing some sort of TFC gear? The man is a one-man promotional machine for TFC and I for one am grateful for his efforts.

Can't we just acknowledge the good a person does without always having to drum up that which we disagree with?

Let's not turn this into a political thread.

Can't seperate the two Roogsy…the only reason we're even talking about David Miller is because he's a political figure.

The thread title reads: Respect to Mayor Miller…

If people say they respect him, others should be able to say they don't…

Best close this puppy down before folks start dumping garbage here…

Roogsy
06-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Good point TB...we will leave it open for a bit to see what develops but the second it heads in the wrong direction, we'll close it.

Toronto_Bhoy
06-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Had to bite my own tongue on this one Roogsy…not trying to cause trouble just a thought…;)

Beach_Red
06-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Well, he's a politician. I've never respected any politician and to be honest, I'm a little suspicious of anyone who does. (maybe it's my Quebec upbringing).

On a scale of 1-100 the difference between Miller and anyone else as mayor would be maybe 2 points, no more.

Kevvv
06-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Who's running against him next time around? John Tory? Former commissioner of the CFL? Be afraid.

rocker
06-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Who's running against him next time around? John Tory? Former commissioner of the CFL? Be afraid.

good point. Mayor Tory would look at his nice city-owned asset and think "how can we make more money off this, how can we maximize profit, how can we help that grand old Canadian institution, the CFL?" and there come the Argos. I can see the campaign now... "Bring the Argos back to the Ex!" ugh

Yohan
06-29-2009, 05:43 PM
please no John Tory. this dude managed to fuck up winning an election that was handled to him on a silver platter

Dirk Diggler
06-29-2009, 06:17 PM
good point. Mayor Tory would look at his nice city-owned asset and think "how can we make more money off this, how can we maximize profit, how can we help that grand old Canadian institution, the CFL?" and there come the Argos. I can see the campaign now... "Bring the Argos back to the Ex!" ugh

If the city is ran as poorly as the CFL generally has been for the past few decades, the Argos coming to BMO Field will be the least of our worries.

Roogsy
06-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Alrighty...so we're off topic. Close'r up!