PDA

View Full Version : Chris Cummings Sumthin's Up, Hey!

[NBF]
06-27-2009, 11:55 PM
http://www.themovieblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/bubbles.jpg

Nothing like playing like shit on the road every year since year one to put things in perspective, right?

:picard:TFC home/away record = MLS's version of Ass-To-Mouth:picard:

If we can't win on the road, why don't we just play to tie the game, who the fuck cares if the other teams don't like the way we play in their stadiums. Let's just try to make the playoffs by being conservative and smart and play like there's something to lose, Like The Fans !:drinking:

:flare:5-3-2(with sweeper):flare:

--------------------Frei--------------------
--------------------------------------------
-------------------Garcia-------------------
----------------------|---------------------
-----------Serioux----|-----Velez-----------
----------------------|---------------------
Attakora--------------V-------------Brennan
---------Robinson--Guevara---Cronin--------
------------Barrett------DeRosario-----------

Yohan
06-28-2009, 12:00 AM
if it makes you feel any better, most MLS teams are shit on the road

DichioTFC
06-28-2009, 12:54 AM
The Boys were tired and really showed it in the second half. I think this game can be written off and the focus should be on beating San Jose in two weeks.

Playing the NYRB of the West should boost our away record and keep the momentum going.

Nazzer
06-28-2009, 01:16 AM
Isn't it Chris Cummins?

DichioTFC
06-28-2009, 01:19 AM
Isn't it Chris Cummins?

If the Lads keep playing the way they did last night, it might be Chris Goings.

:picard:

Super
06-28-2009, 01:55 AM
I'm SO undecided about Cummins. Maybe it's the fact that he is so well-spoken and do so well at the press conferences? But the subs and tactical decisions tonight made me worry about his future at this club. I'm not sure why ANY coach would sub a D for an F when behind in a game. It makes zero sense to me. Other games, though, he has made very clever tactical decisions, so I'm just confused about the guy. Who the fuck knows what's up. Results matter - and he'll have to live or die by that sword like anyone else in that business.

Lennon
06-28-2009, 02:11 AM
I'm SO undecided about Cummins. Maybe it's the fact that he is so well-spoken and do so well at the press conferences? But the subs and tactical decisions tonight made me worry about his future at this club. I'm not sure why ANY coach would sub a D for an F when behind in a game. It makes zero sense to me. Other games, though, he has made very clever tactical decisions, so I'm just confused about the guy. Who the fuck knows what's up. Results matter - and he'll have to live or die by that sword like anyone else in that business.

I think he subbed in a defender for a forward to let Brennen and Nana play higher up the pitch ...

CretanBull
06-28-2009, 02:33 AM
^ Yes...we ended up playing 3-5-2

Brooker
06-28-2009, 07:19 AM
first game ive seen in 2 years and it sounds like i missed shit all.

atleast it was against the western conf.

FluSH
06-28-2009, 08:06 AM
The Boys were tired and really showed it in the second half. I think this game can be written off and the focus should be on beating San Jose in two weeks.

Playing the NYRB of the West should boost our away record and keep the momentum going.

Yup... you could clearly see they were tired.

denime
06-28-2009, 08:19 AM
It was obvious that boys where tired,all these games in last 10 days no wonder.
Players weren't fresh enough,there was no pressure on the ball at all.
We need more depth,with the current roster we will not see playoffs at BMO this year.

tlear
06-28-2009, 08:32 AM
its the altitude, without a long adjustment its a total bitch to just run, I cant imagine playing even 45mins

poppamidnight
06-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Viiti on the left side again...WhyWhyWHy????

Honestly, this guy blows on the left side, and is amazing on the right... It's like Jekyll and Hyde, and Cummins is in denial about it (or not informed of this obvious fact),

And WTF, Velez?

Did you guys see, the first minute he came on... loose ball comes to him and he just boots it out of bounds instead of keeping possession/moving it up???

How would Velez even be considered as a sub in that game? I mean I wouldh've even preffered Gala to him, since Velez is a liability on defense, with no real offense...

The big thing for me was Amado at half....
Christ, Rip him for his idiocy AT half and let him out there to try and redeem himself...he should be motivated,
Don't "send a message" by taking him out, and essentially forfeiting the game

Cummins = From Carvers system of idocracy in his player utilization...

Has to go,

We need a completely different mindset

kdzb
06-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Why do we keep finding excuses every time we get hammered by a decent team.
I said it in the game tread already
"The day we form a team that can beat RSL in their home, we will become a contender team"
It's time for the coaching crew to go back to the drawing board and start from scratch.
On paper, the players we have can form a very strong team but on the pitch they play like they never trained with each other.
Is it the players?
Is it CC's tactics?
Is it CC's choice of starting lineup?
Who knows, but I refuse to find excuses for their inconsistency like some are doing here.
TFC players are professional players, they get paid to play football and they should focus only on playing football.

tlear
06-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Altitude is a valid excuse.. if you ever travel to a place with 1-1.5km elevation, try going for a long run and see how you feel. Its a real bitch. RSL has a massive advantage at home its just reality of it. If we had a week between games and could go and spend that week there then players would get a chance to adjust to it somewhat, without that this game was a writeof. I personally was expecting a loss, maybe a best case tie.

Manutd #1
06-28-2009, 09:30 AM
why wasn't dichio starting? i thought he was rested against ny for this game?

of course were tired we refuse to use our bench, why not start dichio and ibrahim who are fresh, and play gomez at the back. Or maybe we need to sign 3-4 more players so we can actually switch players game in and game out and we wont be soo tired....ricketts leaving was bad he woulda been fresh last night and ready to prove himself....what will we do when cronin is gone?

rocker
06-28-2009, 09:35 AM
what will we do when cronin is gone?

depends on how far the US goes.
TFC is now off for 2 weeks while Cronin plays in the Gold Cup group stage.

ensco
06-28-2009, 09:52 AM
People aren't being fair.

We obviously have injury problems. I am a bit worried about Cummins, but tactics/coaching/substitutions had nothing to do with last night's result. We got three points out of the 2 games post miracle. I'll take it.

Fresh start July 11.

Jack
06-28-2009, 10:07 AM
We need to keep an more even keel and not freak out after every loss and dissect the shit out of everything.

Carts
06-28-2009, 10:11 AM
We need to keep an more even keel and not freak out after every loss and dissect the shit out of everything.

AGREED...

This is very "Maple Leaf" like... Plan a parade after a win, fold the team after a loss...

It's a loss, it sucks, but it's not the end of the season...

Positive note - how good was that save Frei made??

Carts...

Azerban
06-28-2009, 10:18 AM
"The day we form a team that can beat RSL in their home, we will become a contender team"

RSL has only lost once at home this season. Is there only one contender team in MLS?

Yohan
06-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Christ, Rip him for his idiocy AT half and let him out there to try and redeem himself...he should be motivated,
looks like Guevara's ankles were bothering him so he got subbed out

S_D
06-28-2009, 11:04 AM

When the team plays on a more even keel, the dissecting will slow down. I can accept losing. It is a fact of soccer. What I cannot accept is losing the way we witnessed last night. If we had seen this effort against Montreal, we would have been watching the CCL from the sidelines again because quite honestly we played like Mtl did against us.

We have seen too many pathetic excuses for soccer this season and on the other hand we have seen some good and great games. I want to see some intensity every game.

v00d00daddy
06-28-2009, 11:19 AM

You're right Jack. An even keel also means we need to avoid spouting off about deep runs into the playoffs and CCL dreams after beating the worst team in the league twice in a row, at home.

It goes both ways.

We sucked last night. There are a whole bunch of reasons why. Let's just hope we get a few more results in the next few games.

jimiv
06-28-2009, 11:27 AM
I blame the grey kit...

James Oliphant
06-28-2009, 11:33 AM

Amado was hurt. He was trying to play through an injury (as he did on Wednesday), and wasn't able to start the second half.

Perhaps before putting words like "send a message" in quotes, you should find an instance of Cummins actually saying that he was trying to "send a message".

Pyeddo
06-28-2009, 11:35 AM
I have to ask, what was with the Vitti for Velez sub?!!? No sense... Vitti had a great game (for the most part)... i'm confused

Yohan
06-28-2009, 11:38 AM
I have to ask, what was with the Vitti for Velez sub?!!? No sense... Vitti had a great game (for the most part)... i'm confused
Vitti had a terrible game. He couldn't pass for beans and couldn't beat his man and kept losing the ball

James Oliphant
06-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Vitti for Velez allowed Cummins to move to a 3-5-2 by pushing Brennan and Attakora up the wings. We had 3 forwards on at the time (Barrett-Dichio-Vitti). Bringing another CB on gave us the three we needed at that position to allow Jimmy and Nana to play more attack-minded.

I agree with the sub, tbh. Vitti did have a pretty first half, but he was fading towards the end and 3-5-2 should have given us better ball movement in the midfield (where we were getting beat all night). I just think the change should have come a bit sooner, but I think that's partly down to losing Guevara to injury at the half. That handcuffed Cummins a bit.

Yohan
06-28-2009, 11:49 AM
i'm just really annoyed that the lads made RSL look better than they really are.

other than work ethic and ability to string two passes together, RSL wasn't that good. they executed a good game plan but I thought if the lads played their normal game, it would have been a tighter game

poppamidnight
06-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Amado was hurt. He was trying to play through an injury (as he did on Wednesday), and wasn't able to start the second half.

Perhaps before putting words like "send a message" in quotes, you should find an instance of Cummins actually saying that he was trying to "send a message".

HAHAHA, ohh man that make's it even worse,
the sending a message excuse makes more sense that starting an injured player

I brought up how stupid it was to start Serioux a couple weeks back when his injury was really bad, and he barely squeaked out 10 mins of quality defending...

Why waste a sub?

I just don't comprehend that...

You have the day before + the day of to evaluate the guy's,
if their not looking good, why put them in there trying to hope for a decent amount from minutes from them AND/OR risk further aggravating the injury...
(we're looking for the playoffs right??? don't we actually want healthy bodies for that?)

Someone has to give their head a shake in that regards:
Either Cummins is rolling the dice on players health knowing their injury concerns
or
our medical/training staff aren't giving the right information to Cummins

v00d00daddy
06-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Vitti for Velez allowed Cummins to move to a 3-5-2 by pushing Brennan and Attakora up the wings. We had 3 forwards on at the time (Barrett-Dichio-Vitti). Bringing another CB on gave us the three we needed at that position to allow Jimmy and Nana to play more attack-minded.

I agree with the sub, tbh. Vitti did have a pretty first half, but he was fading towards the end and 3-5-2 should have given us better ball movement in the midfield (where we were getting beat all night). I just think the change should have come a bit sooner, but I think that's partly down to losing Guevara to injury at the half. That handcuffed Cummins a bit.

So Cummins wanted us to get back into the game on the shoulders of Nana and Brennan...without Guevara (sucks about the injury) and Vitti?

Not to mention the facts:

a) Dichio looked horrible from the minute he came on
b) Barrett looked terrible all game. I would have subbed him out when he tried to bring down that ball from his chest and it bounced out 10 metres. I could have done better than that.
c) Cummins decided we should be playing long ball for some stupid reason.

I don't care what Cummins was thinking. Unless Vitti was hurt, he should have stayed in. If we're relying on Brennan and Nana to push up when we're down a goal or two we should just pack it in as soon as we go down one. It would be less embarrassing.

In fact, why don't we just get rid of Guevara and play 4 strikers up top and keep feeding the ball from Brennan and Frei up to Dichio's head and Barretts......ummm.....defender.

I can't stand to watch this team when they play long ball. It literally made me walk away from the tv last night, on more than one occassion.

v00d00daddy
06-28-2009, 11:58 AM
i'm just really annoyed that the lads made RSL look better than they really are.

other than work ethic and ability to string two passes together, RSL wasn't that good. they executed a good game plan but I thought if the lads played their normal game, it would have been a tighter game

Ummm....this is what TFC lacks on most nights when they lose.

You're absolutely right....RSL didn't do much other than the basics of soccer....and it scares me that we omit one, or both, of these two things on more game nights than is acceptable.

SanStarko
06-28-2009, 11:59 AM

So, so true.

It's a bit of a joke at times. We win a game and we're world beaters and Cummins is a genius. We lose a game and the players suck, we're the worst team in history and Cummins should be sacked.

Fair enough being upset or happy about things. But this swinging from one extreme to the other depending on the result is bizare to say the least.

ua-kozak_TFC
06-28-2009, 01:24 PM
So, so true.

It's a bit of a joke at times. We win a game and we're world beaters and Cummins is a genius. We lose a game and the players suck, we're the worst team in history and Cummins should be sacked.

Fair enough being upset or happy about things. But this swinging from one extreme to the other depending on the result is bizare to say the least.
....yea well you gotta dissect every win too... we won 3 gamesagainst teams that are really in a bad shape... and montreal played their reserves. so yea On top of that we have played 11/16 games at home.... good luck with [art 2 of the year if we playing like we have. since we couldn;t capitallize on the home games...

hodgkiss
06-28-2009, 02:12 PM
i think it's best that when we are on the road that we change the formation and tactics to a more defensive roll. everyone on the pitch should be defending and just hold the ball up and not make those silly mistakes while trying to attack and/or trying to make things look pretty.

force the opposition to make bad passes and then take adavantage of their silly mistakes.

playing an attacking style at home makes sense but to attack when the guys aren't fully rested/injured is only going to lead to disappointment.

it wasn't just the fact that we couldn't build any kind of attack last night, it was brutal overall. our marking was horrible (due to tired legs and the formation) our passing and position was probably just as worse. you could see frustration on most players faces because their teammates just didn't give many options when we had control of the ball.

now, the first 10 minutes or so looked quite good. they were playing positionally and were slowly building up plays to frustrate rsl but that pass back from guevara was absolutely brutal and it spelled the beginning of the end for the night.

i hope the players have a good long rest and i hope cummins can have some time to think about changing things up a little. i can accept a 1-0 defeat on the road but 3-0 is just plain bad. we start the game with a point. if they defend, there's no excuse not to come out of the game with at least that.

i would rather see something more like this for the road:
btw, this is where i think a guy like harmse will be missed.

-------------------------frei----------------------------

nana----------garcia----------velez----------brennan

cronin-----robinson----guevara----serioux------dero

--------------------------dichio-------------------------

DichioTFC
06-28-2009, 04:38 PM
I blame the grey kit...

maybe we should go back to the pink?
:D

DichioTFC
06-28-2009, 04:42 PM
btw, if the boys were tired, which i'm sure they were, coach should have had a 5-man backfield and played either for the 0-0 draw or hit long balls up for the counter attack.

but still, what's done is done.

Beach_Red
06-28-2009, 04:59 PM
When the team plays on a more even keel, the dissecting will slow down. I can accept losing. It is a fact of soccer. What I cannot accept is losing the way we witnessed last night. If we had seen this effort against Montreal, we would have been watching the CCL from the sidelines again because quite honestly we played like Mtl did against us.

We have seen too many pathetic excuses for soccer this season and on the other hand we have seen some good and great games. I want to see some intensity every game.

This is more a criticism of MLS than of TFC. There isn't a team in the league that plays on an even keel for the whole year. Every team in this league has games that are pathetic excuses for soccer. A few weeks ago most people would have given the Supporters Shield and the MLS Cup to Chivas. Who knows now, maybe Columbus will actually repeat.

I would like to see the same intensity every game, too, but the truth is, it won't make a difference to whether or not the team win the Cup and the players know that.

Pyeddo
06-28-2009, 05:20 PM
So Cummins wanted us to get back into the game on the shoulders of Nana and Brennan...without Guevara (sucks about the injury) and Vitti?

Not to mention the facts:

a) Dichio looked horrible from the minute he came on
b) Barrett looked terrible all game. I would have subbed him out when he tried to bring down that ball from his chest and it bounced out 10 metres. I could have done better than that.
c) Cummins decided we should be playing long ball for some stupid reason.

I don't care what Cummins was thinking. Unless Vitti was hurt, he should have stayed in. If we're relying on Brennan and Nana to push up when we're down a goal or two we should just pack it in as soon as we go down one. It would be less embarrassing.

In fact, why don't we just get rid of Guevara and play 4 strikers up top and keep feeding the ball from Brennan and Frei up to Dichio's head and Barretts......ummm.....defender.

I can't stand to watch this team when they play long ball. It literally made me walk away from the tv last night, on more than one occassion.

I'm glad someone agrees with me, Vitti played a great game and looked like he was trying to get his next goal. He looked a little more inspired & motivated.... which is more then I can say for Barrett.

Christ.... Barrett. :\

Blizzard
06-28-2009, 05:55 PM
maybe we should go back to the pink?
:D

The newscasts just showed David Miller wearing the Pink 3rd shirt at the Pride Parade.

BuSaPuNk
06-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Have to wonder how much they were looking forward to the rest that there getting not playing for almost 2 weeks. Also the games they have played in the last 2 weeks being all pushed together with alot of travel as well. Not a good mix. I wasn't expecting a win but we could have atleast played with a soild backline and not pushed up and played for the tie. Oh well.....another loss on the road....no biggy.

Let's see how they respond when coming back from the break big game against the Dynamo.

FluSH
06-28-2009, 08:42 PM

if their not looking good, why put them in there trying to hope for a decent amount from minutes from them AND/OR risk further aggravating the injury...
(we're looking for the playoffs right??? don't we actually want healthy bodies for that?)

It's not like we have a bench stack with skill out there... options are limited and that's an understatement...

Blizzard
06-28-2009, 08:59 PM
HAHAHA, ohh man that make's it even worse,
the sending a message excuse makes more sense that starting an injured player

I brought up how stupid it was to start Serioux a couple weeks back when his injury was really bad, and he barely squeaked out 10 mins of quality defending...

Why waste a sub?

I just don't comprehend that...

Someone has to give their head a shake in that regards:
Either Cummins is rolling the dice on players health knowing their injury concerns
or
our medical/training staff aren't giving the right information to Cummins

Assumptions!

Amado wanted to play and said he could play. It was only later in the half after a couple of exchanges that caused pain did it really get to the stage where Cummins wouldn't let him play the second.

In the end, it generally comes down to the player saying whether or not he is fit to go.

Cummins did the smart thing by pulling him at the half knowing full well that we need a healthy Amado later in the season but also knowing full well that we weren't going to be coming back without him out there.

Mikey
06-29-2009, 06:20 AM
Halfway point in the season and we have 22 points from a potential 48.

Assuming we need to clear 45 for a playoff spot, it's another 23 points from a possible 42, 15 of which are available from home games.

Lets be optimistic and assume 9 points from the remaining home games.

Can they squeeze 14 points from 10 away games?

[NBF]
06-29-2009, 01:38 PM
So the fact that everyone is blaming the loss on fatigue and loss of players to international duties makers me wonder why the team is not going after players like Jacob Lensky(who fell out with his dutch club)or some of the young Canadians at MLS clubs.

I think the excuse was they weren't good enough, but for reason they're good enough for other clubs?.... and on top of that we would have a solid group of players able to play through the majority of games during the summer.

If you ask me, Mo Johnston fucked up royally there.:facepalm:

Derko
06-29-2009, 01:45 PM
I'll take the altitude excuse and live with it, TFC come back with a win in San Jose and then home to Houston.