PDA

View Full Version : Colorado releases Gregory Richardson

anto7
06-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Well looks like we made the right choice in giving up the rights to this guy.

Commerce City, CO (Sports Network) - The Colorado Rapids announced that the club has waived forward Gregory Richardson.

Richardson appeared in one game for the Rapids this season playing 11 minutes in the season opener against Chivas USA on March 21. He also played the full 90 minutes in Colorado's U.S. Open Cup play-in match against Seattle on May 26.

Richardson's rights were originally acquired by the Rapids in a trade with Toronto FC on February 27 and the Guyana forward was signed by Colorado on March 20.

Damien
06-27-2009, 10:56 PM
We got like a 2nd round pick for him?

Yohan
06-27-2009, 11:16 PM
We got like a 2nd round pick for him?
also some allocation IIRC

kdzb
06-27-2009, 11:17 PM
To be honest, 11 minutes + 90 minutes of play is not enough to judge this guy.
If I was Mo, I will try to take a look at him again now that he is free agent.
His salary must be lower than Barrett. I still believe we should get rid of Barrett and sign this guy for the rest of the season.

Also, the lack of being used by the Colorado coach is that Omar Cummins and Casey Conor are monsters this season and giving him no chance to shine.

TFC USA
06-27-2009, 11:19 PM
I want him.

Yohan
06-27-2009, 11:20 PM
good luck trying to get rid of Barrett and his long ass guaranteed contract

and I think we're better off with Barrett than Richardson anyways.

and if a player is wavied, does the origianal team still retain the player's rights?

kdzb
06-27-2009, 11:37 PM
good luck trying to get rid of Barrett and his long ass guaranteed contract

and I think we're better off with Barrett than Richardson anyways.

and if a player is wavied, does the origianal team still retain the player's rights?

If you look at this famous video of Richardson against New England:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrNNyrwRW5g&NR=1

You can tell that Richardson has a better football IQ than Barrett in front of the net.

I guarantee you that if he had the same minutes + the same chances that Barrett had so far he will be the leading scorer in our team at this time of the season.

Yohan
06-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Based upon one game you can make such a decision?

Richardson is 27. Just how many goals has he scored in his career?

rocker
06-28-2009, 08:52 AM
TFC saw him.. passed.
Colorado saw him.. passed.

see a trend here?

I wouldn't judge the guy on one game in which NE didn't even play its full squad. These two teams have seen him over the course of many months in practice..... and passed on him.

jloome
06-28-2009, 12:16 PM
That New England game is, quite famously, against the norm for Richardson. He wasn't considered a top striker in the Trinidadian league and only had, I think, seven goals that season in 20-plus appearances.

InTheCrowd
06-28-2009, 12:27 PM
To be honest, 11 minutes + 90 minutes of play is not enough to judge this guy.
If I was Mo, I will try to take a look at him again now that he is free agent.
His salary must be lower than Barrett. I still believe we should get rid of Barrett and sign this guy for the rest of the season.

Also, the lack of being used by the Colorado coach is that Omar Cummins and Casey Conor are monsters this season and giving him no chance to shine.

:picard:

To be honest 90 + 11 minutes is not enough to judge him, I agree. And then you go and judge him on one game against New England. Buddy you can't go doing that either.

By the way there are many free agents. Out of all available free agents you'd go for Richardson a Toronto and Colorado reject. Yes I'm sure his salary is lower than Barrett's but that goes for many free agents.

Getting rid of Barrett isn't that easy. How are we going to do it? Who that you know would take over Barrett's contract? Then sign Richardson? He's tried here and failed once, if anything we try with somebody new. Don't forget that we've signed Gerba and White is almost ready to play (he was on the bench last game I believe).

Well he did get the chance to shine this season. He didn't during the time he got. I do believe in second chances but why would you even want to sign Richardson?

Yohan
06-28-2009, 12:34 PM
http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1080675

I was told by a very reliable source that Richardson showed little passion for the game from the start, that his skill was undeinable but that he did not like contact, was easily handled by physical defenders and, worst of all, that he actually said at one point that he did not want to head the ball.

I'm bummed he didn't work out but if even half of that is true I, for one, am not at all upset by his being released.

C.Ronaldo
06-28-2009, 10:36 PM
that ball is hard, it can hurt