PDA

View Full Version : Good article about Sounders success

Yohan
06-27-2009, 03:05 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=657714&cc=5901

snippet from article
The Sounders helped mitigate any such feelings with a series of deft moves:

-- Fans were allowed to vote for the team name, rejecting three other choices to bring back the Sounders name from the old North American Soccer League days. They also hold the right to vote out the sitting GM every four years, just like at Barcelona.

-- Seattle signed big-name talent like Kasey Keller and Freddie Ljungberg, signaling a desire to win immediately.

-- The team gave season-ticket holders the ability to decide what type of fans they wanted to sit around, everything from hardcore swearers to family friendly areas.

-- And season-ticket holders were rewarded with team scarfs as their ticket for the first game and had Chelsea, Barcelona and the MLS Cup included as part of their season-ticket package.

SmokedPanda
06-27-2009, 03:15 PM
these guys understand that the fans are the ones who pay the bills.... nice find!

Beach_Red
06-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Damn you Toronto fans for supporting your team!

Pookie
06-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Curious about this statement:

-- The team gave season-ticket holders the ability to decide what type of fans they wanted to sit around, everything from hardcore swearers to family friendly areas.

Specifically, how did this work?

You could argue that the TFC FO did exactly the same thing by establishing designated supporter sections, a family area and offering a "relocation" event pre-season.

kodiakTFC
06-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Curious about this statement:

Specifically, how did this work?

You could argue that the TFC FO did exactly the same thing by establishing designated supporter sections, a family area and offering a "relocation" event pre-season.

I believe they filled out a questionnaire and it suggested a section to you.

Pookie
06-27-2009, 03:56 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=657714&cc=5901

I believe they filled out a questionnaire and it suggested a section to you.

Actually, it's kind of better than that. I just popped on their website and in buying single game tickets, you can get a profile of that section. It looks like they profiled their membership to come up with percentages of fans in each section that:

- like to sing and chant
- like to stand
- play organized soccer

http://tickets.soundersfc.com/?screen=tickets

You then get a % of each and can decide if that's where you want to sit.

Of course, a lot of marketing is smoke and mirrors. You could be someone that likes to sing, find a 67% "singing section" and still find yourself sitting amongst a group of stiffs. And those % are one thing, price to sit in each is another (ie. you could find one that fits your profile but out of your budget).

But full points for the concept. I'd like to see something like that in Toronto.

rocker
06-27-2009, 04:07 PM
they looked at toronto's situation and came up with the website based on those preferences.

without T.O.'s fan example, no way would they have had a website with options like "this is a standing section".

Mak
06-28-2009, 08:10 PM
MLSE should look to copy Seattle's marketing strategy. I would say that MLSE initially had no clue what demand they would encounter for the TFC. It was the fan base that has made the franchise a success, and NOT MLSE. MLSE has put immediate profit ahead of the team's long term success. Third season in, and we yet to have a DP. NO EXCUSE. AT ALL. MLSE doesn't even own the stadium, it is city owned. Typical, using tax payers money. They keep increasing season ticket costs. For what? There is an MLS salary cap. E.g. 1st season tickets sold for $250. 2nd seain $300 including All Star game. 3rd season $320, fuckall included. Exttra $300 for pair of Real Madrid tickets. If I wasn't such a Real Madrid fan I would have punted the tickets. In fact thinking of going to Washington to watch Chelsea play AC Milan for a fraction of ticket prices.

ilikemusic
06-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Seattle's games are something to behold.

The highlights from that Colorado-Seattle game looked just brilliant.

JonO
06-28-2009, 09:56 PM
MLSE should look to copy Seattle's marketing strategy.
You do realize it was the other way 'round? Seattle had the opportunity to learn from TFC "mistakes"...

Roogsy
06-28-2009, 10:00 PM
You do realize it was the other way 'round? Seattle had the opportunity to learn from TFC "mistakes"...

Exactly.

We fail to give credit where credit is due.

There is no way Seattle sets themselves up this way if not for the efforts of the TFC front office staff.

In fact, if I recall correctly, Seattle spoke at length with TFC's organization and then proceeded to create the format we see today.

Had Seattle preceeded Toronto, I have no doubt they would not have the same profile.

Therefore, it is tacitly unfair for us to want Toronto to emulate something that never was and praise an organization that basically took the lead from Toronto in the first place. TFC were pioneers in this league and we need to recognize that.

I just hope they realize it doesn't stop there and improvements can continue to be made.

BallardSounder
07-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Complete agreement with Roogsy above, and I think most in Seattle would say the same.

Oh, and speaking as a Sounders season ticket holder, while the "match your interests to your section profile" thingy sounds real nice, in reality it means jack diddly.

Carefree
07-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Hanauer knows perhaps better than anyone that the first-year fantasy will wear off and it'll be up to the team to keep the demand high.

In other words, he knows he can't take for granted that all games will be sold out forever, and that he needs to put a good product on the pitch to keep fans interested. Ring any bells?