PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Appiah

prizby
06-27-2009, 03:55 AM
Here is a guy who has been out of a contract for a year...all I want to say is he'd look good in a TFC shirt!

Can I add Andy Van Der Meyde to this list???

Yohan
06-27-2009, 04:07 AM
Here is a guy who has been out of a contract for a year...all I want to say is he'd look good in a TFC shirt!
he's been linked with MLS before, and Appiah turned that down

greatwhitenorf
06-27-2009, 05:58 AM
Could not prove himself physically reliable during extended tryout last year at Spurs. And, if healthy, they could sure have used him then. Several other clubs - Celtic, ar5ena1 - were sniffing around him too. All utimately saying no due to his wonky knee.

He's pushing 30 so any kind of deal would have to feature some kind of get-paid-as-you-play clause.

Oldtimer
06-27-2009, 05:59 AM
Wonky knee = no way he will play on Turf.

A Stick
06-27-2009, 07:58 AM

I don't think we should go near him. He has been involved in match fixing (i.e. taking bribes) in the past. That might explain why he has been out of a contract for a year.

:hand:

Jack
06-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Man...too bad about the injuries. This guy is a hell of a player.

According to Wikipedia, despite being without a club due to the injury concerns, he has been playing regularly with the national team.

prizby
06-27-2009, 10:02 AM
^ exactly, i have his national team jersey, he is one of my favourite players and its a shame he hasn't a club to play for.

Oblio2
06-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Read the book "The Fix"...Appiah's name is mentioned. Not the sort of person Id want on my team

InTheCrowd
06-27-2009, 10:52 AM
There are many players without a club. I wouldn't mind having him here, however do we need a guy in his position right now?

Darlofletch
06-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Appiah again, and again, and again....

Aside from the easy chant, meh!

Moe911
06-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Read the book "The Fix"...Appiah's name is mentioned. Not the sort of person Id want on my team

He rejected the bookie. Please show me some proof that he would accept money from some thugs. Appiah is way smarter then that.

jloome
06-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Appiah is Shalrie Joseph with more technical ability. He'd be huge in MLS....if he ever played. He has had injury problems for years.

EAsoccer
06-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Appiah is a class player without the injury problems he could be world class. He still regularly plays for Ghana but is looking for one last multi-year deal in Europe (preferably England, Italy or Turkey). Reason he is unattached is 1. his injury problem (he would almost always fail a medical), 2. his age, 3. he's probably looking for a multi-year deal. He's turned down some EPL clubs due to not being offered the right type of contract.

After 2010 WC he could look at MLS but cant see him coming to MLS now unless he's a DP. Looking at the past and curent MLS DPs really dont think TFC let alone any team in the MLS would/should sign him for DP money.

If he did come to TFC would buy his shirt immediately!

InTheCrowd
06-27-2009, 03:41 PM
After 2010 WC he could look at MLS but cant see him coming to MLS now unless he's a DP. Looking at the past and curent MLS DPs really dont think TFC let alone any team in the MLS would/should sign him for DP money.

Seriously? Lopez, Blanco, Emilio and the likes. I'd much rather take Appiah.

C.Ronaldo
06-27-2009, 06:43 PM
id still rather have blanco 2 years ago

Yohan
06-27-2009, 06:50 PM
I'd rather have Emilio's 15 goal seasons... (he's on a decent pace this year too)

prizby
06-27-2009, 07:31 PM

If it has to do with Juventus, might as well say the same about Del Piero, Nedved, Cannavaro, Buffon, etc...

Jack
06-27-2009, 08:29 PM
If it has to do with Juventus, might as well say the same about Del Piero, Nedved, Cannavaro, Buffon, etc...
Mostly about the national team.

EAsoccer
06-29-2009, 01:02 AM
Seriously? Lopez, Blanco, Emilio and the likes. I'd much rather take Appiah.

Yea if you look at the MLS DPs most of them have a large fan base and well known to more than just the hardcore fan. They have the ability to bring in fans and sell jerseys for the club. TFC may not necessarily need that and that was my line of thinking.

I'd go as far as to say I'd rather have Emilio & Lopez on TFC. Both can score goals, Lopez may not be firing them in so much but in a league like the MLS where the goal is to win MLS Cup, he's the type of player that could heat up when it counts: in the Playoffs.

Appiah in his thirties and has had his share of injury problems, I'd use the DP slot on a relatively young player on the up that can possibly be sold to Europe in the future for a profit.

I'd love to have Appiah @ TFC, but he'd want DP money and we already have Guevara,Robinson,Cronin in the center of the park getting it done. Right now I'd want a striker DP that will score 20+ goals/season. Maybe in the future if our Midfield wasnt what it was Appiah would be an option.

DichioTFC
06-29-2009, 01:17 AM
Appiah in his thirties and has had his share of injury problems, I'd use the DP slot on a relatively young player on the up that can possibly be sold to Europe in the future for a profit.

I'd love to have Appiah @ TFC, but he'd want DP money and we already have Guevara,Robinson,Cronin in the center of the park getting it done. Right now I'd want a striker DP that will score 20+ goals/season. Maybe in the future if our Midfield wasnt what it was Appiah would be an option.

I'm not sure if we can get a young DP. Anyone that is worth DP money would most likely choose Europe over the MLS.

Btw, Appiah is 28, so he's not that old (younger than Dero, Brennan, Robinson, Dichio, Serioux and Guevara)... I think Mo should convince him to sit in the MLSE box and see how passionate the supporters are, it might convince him
;)

DichioTFC
06-29-2009, 01:22 AM
Ghana's Appiah laughs off reported link to MLS

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/soccer/12/25/appiah.mls/index.html

Apparently we made him LOL...

DichioTFC
06-29-2009, 01:25 AM
Ghana Captain Stephen Appiah Handed Hefty FIFA Fine

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2009/06/25/1347095/ghana-captain-stephen-appiah-handed-hefty-fifa-fine

I would hate to see TFC's DP leave the club to go NOWHERE...

InTheCrowd
06-29-2009, 03:57 PM

I'd wait a bit before getting a DP striker. We've signed Gerba and he'll be playing soon, let's not forget White is almost ready to play. We have two promising strikers about ready to play so let's wait before wanting a DP striker.

Yohan
06-29-2009, 04:01 PM
I'd wait a bit before getting a DP striker. We've signed Gerba and he'll be playing soon, let's not forget White is almost ready to play. We have two promising strikers about ready to play so let's wait before wanting a DP striker.
I agree that TFC should wait a bit, unless a really good striker becomes available to see if Gerba and White works out

However, these guys need time to settle playing games with the team, and if they don't produce goals quickly, it'll be very doubtful if TFC can make the playoffs...

EAsoccer
06-29-2009, 09:08 PM
So would I but if I was going to use the DP at the moment it would be on a striker. But I'd wait and see how Gerba turns out.

But if the ideal striker came along and was available right now I'd go for it. The right player can help win a club the MLS cup. I've seen top strikers like Huckerby come into the league late in the season and make a huge difference, if Huckerby signed for a team other than San Jose Earthquakes he may have taken them to the MLS Cup.

prizby
06-30-2009, 10:49 AM
i think andy van der meyde would be a great pick up as well!!!...we need a true winger!

zeelaw
06-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Van Der Meyde has been linked with Blackburn

zeelaw
06-30-2009, 10:52 AM
^^
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1196350/Blackburn-sign-Everton-pair-Jacobsen-van-der-Meyde-Burnley-bag-Mears.html?ITO=1490

Yohan
06-30-2009, 11:21 AM
van der Meyde... jeez. talk about ghost sighting

dude just dropped off the face of the earth for like last 3 years

prizby
06-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Van Der Meyde has been linked with Blackburn

i know, thats how i found out he was available..he'd be great!!!

van der Meyde... jeez. talk about ghost sighting

dude just dropped off the face of the earth for like last 3 years

20 league games in 4 years for Everton...pitiful he was ruined for that long