PDA

View Full Version : Pre-match: 27 June Toronto FC at Real Salt Lake

Yohan
06-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Game starts 930pm on Sportsnet

Sooooo.... First big test on the road.

Real Salt Lake has been pretty good at home, losing only once, and incl 6-0 spanking of New England a month or so ago. They are on a 3 game unbeaten streak.

However, their recent form is only so so and they are missing key CB Jamison Olave for this match (if you thought Harmse made boneheaded palys, watch this guy go nuts). Striker Robbie Findley might be match fit after coming back from an injury, but most likely will come off the bench

On paper, Jason Kreis has a very good team. Watch for playmaker Argentine Javier Morales to spray passes left and right. he's been a bit erratic this season, but he did have 16 assists last season.
Kyle Beckerman needs a haircut, but he is a very solid DM who just got called up to US Gold Cup squad.
Canadian midfielder Will Johnson will be prowling on one of the wings, and he's got some good stuff in his arsenal as well.

Clint Mathis is aging, but he still has a bit of flair going forward, and Yura Movisyan is like RSL version of Chad Barrett. Sometimes has trouble finishing, but he will get open and on at the end of passes.

Nick Rimando will be solid in net, and backline led by Wingert and Borchers aren't flashy, but they get the job done.

Biggest flaw in RSL game is their mentality. Sometimes when things go wrong, they just shut down. Take the game to them early and frustrate them, and they will make mistakes.

Given TFC's terrible away form, though only 5 games played on road this year, only 1 win (opener against KC). A draw will be a very good reason, but a win is not totally out of reach.

rocker
06-26-2009, 10:25 AM
this is the first appearance for TFC at Rio Tinto correct?

Yohan
06-26-2009, 10:30 AM
this is the first appearance for TFC at Rio Tinto correct?
this is correct

on another note, TFC actually had a road win in year 1 in old RSL stadium

boban
06-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Game is on June 27.

Yohan
06-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Game is on June 27.
fuck me

mod, plz correct?

Toronto_Bhoy
06-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Winning two in a row against the bottom feeding Red Bulls is no great feat. I heard Cummins mention, "We were aiming for all six points"…that would be the minimum Chris!

Games like Saturday are were we get a good idea of where we really stand.

The Montreal game was a one off…cup tie versus a second string lineup. Let's see what we've got come 11:30 Saturday evening against a very decent side…

pekduck
06-26-2009, 10:33 AM
i'll take a draw

TFC's 3rd game in short time period, being spanked in Charleston by RSL, playing in Mountain Time zone, AWAY, and that dirty hippie beckerman....

James17930
06-26-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm thinking a draw too. 0 - 0 or 1 - 1.

Oldtimer
06-26-2009, 10:58 AM
fuck me

mod, plz correct?

Corrected.

The Professor
06-26-2009, 11:06 AM
According to the email I just got from TFC, Beckham has joined RSL :rolleyes:

Reds Face Real And Becks This Weekend!‏

James17930
06-26-2009, 11:16 AM

Yeah -- that was lame.

I read on Goal.com that Johnson won't be in the line-up because of the Gold Cup. Has Canada's camp started already?

Nuvinho
06-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Isn't Olave suspended for this game?

Nuvinho
06-26-2009, 11:27 AM
INJURY REPORT: REAL SALT LAKE - QUESTIONABLE: FW Luis Miguel Escalada (R ankle sprain); FW Fabian Espíndola (R patella tendonitis); FW Robbie Findley (R ankle sprain); PROBABLE: DF Nat Borchers (R ankle sprain); DF Ian Joy (L hamstring strain); DF Robbie Russell (L groin strain) ... TORONTO FC - OUT: FW O'Brian White (knee); QUESTIONABLE: MF Amado Guevara (ankle); DF Adrian Serioux (foot)

INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: TOR: Marvell Wynne (USA; FIFA Confederations Cup)
SUSPENDED: RSL: Jamison Olave (through June 27)
WARNINGS:

CoachGT
06-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Mathis had what would be Goal of the Year in my book for his strike against New England earlier this season (unless there is a better TFC candidate between now and then).

I'd think a draw would be a good result for us in Salt Lake. Unless De Ro cranks up the goal machine again.......

jloome
06-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Game starts 930pm on Sportsnet

Sooooo.... First big test on the road.

Real Salt Lake has been pretty good at home, losing only once, and incl 6-0 spanking of New England a month or so ago. They are on a 3 game unbeaten streak.

However, their recent form is only so so and they are missing key CB Jamison Olave for this match (if you thought Harmse made boneheaded palys, watch this guy go nuts). Striker Robbie Findley might be match fit after coming back from an injury, but most likely will come off the bench

On paper, Jason Kreis has a very good team. Watch for playmaker Argentine Javier Morales to spray passes left and right. he's been a bit erratic this season, but he did have 16 assists last season.
Kyle Beckerman needs a haircut, but he is a very solid DM who just got called up to US Gold Cup squad.
Canadian midfielder Will Johnson will be prowling on one of the wings, and he's got some good stuff in his arsenal as well.

Clint Mathis is aging, but he still has a bit of flair going forward, and Yura Movisyan is like RSL version of Chad Barrett. Sometimes has trouble finishing, but he will get open and on at the end of passes.

Nick Rimando will be solid in net, and backline led by Wingert and Borchers aren't flashy, but they get the job done.

Biggest flaw in RSL game is their mentality. Sometimes when things go wrong, they just shut down. Take the game to them early and frustrate them, and they will make mistakes.

Given TFC's terrible away form, though only 5 games played on road this year, only 1 win (opener against KC). A draw will be a very good reason, but a win is not totally out of reach.

Nah, dude, they've switched it all up in the last two weeks.

Johnson is now their holding midfielder. But he's out already for the Gold Cup. Missing Olave is a fairly big deal.

They should have a tougher time this week than in the last couple, because they'll likely move Beckerman back into the holding mid/central mid role and play the 4-3-3. They've done that to free up space for Findley operating wide, ala Dero and Vitti.

But the Dirty Hippy is also going off to the Gold Cup next week and will be hyped for sound. He can be a game breaker.

I figure their backline is very suspect right now. We have to play with strong offensive pressure and full/three-quarter-field defensive pressure.

This is actually one game where direct play -- uh, longball, as some people refer to is -- would actually be to our advantage. I take back my earlier formation: if Dichio's fit we should put him up top and try and eliminate both our central mid and their central mid from the game as much as possible.

Two teams basically designed to cancel each other out. Might come down to who wants it more, Dero and Guevara or Beckerman and Morales.

CoachGT
06-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Time for a little payback for the Carolina Cup game.....

Steve
06-26-2009, 11:55 AM

Come on, it was a joke (I laughed) since logically, you can reduce Beckerman to Becks just as easily as Beckham. Someone at TFC head office was just making fun of the obsession with Beckham (even when he's not in the league).

Yohan
06-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Nah, dude, they've switched it all up in the last two weeks.

Johnson is now their holding midfielder. But he's out already for the Gold Cup. Missing Olave is a fairly big deal.
Good news for us I guess.

This is actually one game where direct play -- uh, longball, as some people refer to is -- would actually be to our advantage. I take back my earlier formation: if Dichio's fit we should put him up top and try and eliminate both our central mid and their central mid from the game as much as possible.
A la DC game 2nd half? Hmmmm....

prizby
06-26-2009, 12:23 PM
----------------Frei----------------
------Attakora-Garcia-Serious------
Cronin-------Robinson------Brennan
-------------Guevara--------------
------Vitti-------------DeRo-------
--------------Dichio---------------

billyfly
06-26-2009, 02:14 PM
What's the chant we have for the Mormons again?

jloome
06-26-2009, 02:23 PM
----------------Frei----------------
------Attakora-Garcia-Serious------
Cronin-------Robinson------Brennan
-------------Guevara--------------
------Vitti-------------DeRo-------
--------------Dichio---------------

Cronin's out, but isn't Wynne back? If not, they might have to try Gomez at right wingback.

BuSaPuNk
06-26-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm expecting a draw as well. Only if DeRo's scoring machine isn't up and running!! 1-1 or mabey 2-2. Were in tough that is for sure RSL is a quality team, and going from playing a shite team in the energy drinks to them will be a big jump. Hopefully we don't get bogged down in the first 25 mins and can bring the game to them.

Redpunkfiddle
06-26-2009, 02:31 PM
It will be nice not to have the ridiculous bouncing ball like we had on the old Salt Lake stadium surface.

prizby
06-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Cronin's out, but isn't Wynne back? If not, they might have to try Gomez at right wingback.

Cronin is out....with what??????

djking2
06-26-2009, 03:02 PM

Cronin will leave after the game and Wynne will no doubt be on the bench for the US at the final in South Africa

TFC USA
06-26-2009, 06:08 PM
TFC 8 Real Salt Lake 0

DeRo scores all 8.

A man can dream, right? :)

Gwando
06-26-2009, 07:03 PM
You folks forget, football is all about momentum...we got lots at the moment, RSL does not have a whole bunch. The fact that we are playing so many games so close to each other and that momentum is going up, not down, is a huge advantage for us. It is mid-season, not the drudgery of end-of-season tiredness, looking for inspiration. The lads are hot at the moment and I am expecting more of the same. Frei is playing in fine form also... 2-nil...maybe three!

jloome
06-26-2009, 07:10 PM
You folks forget, football is all about momentum...we got lots at the moment, RSL does not have a whole bunch. The fact that we are playing so many games so close to each other and that momentum is going up, not down, is a huge advantage for us. It is mid-season, not the drudgery of end-of-season tiredness, looking for inspiration. The lads are hot at the moment and I am expecting more of the same. Frei is playing in fine form also... 2-nil...maybe three!

They haven't lost in three either, so you're seriously overstating our "momentum." Optimism's fine, but realistic expectations also help. On the road, against a team we rarely play well against, with all but two of their key players? I'll be thankful for a point.

Yohan
06-26-2009, 08:20 PM
They haven't lost in three either, so you're seriously overstating our "momentum." Optimism's fine, but realistic expectations also help. On the road, against a team we rarely play well against, with all but two of their key players? I'll be thankful for a point.
well, TFC does have a decent record against RSL. 2 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss (incl 1 win away).

Yohan
06-26-2009, 08:34 PM
lol@Cummins pregame commentary. it's about as bland and generic as you can get

GBV
06-27-2009, 09:10 AM
goal line:

Real Salt Lake -0.5 +104
Toronto FC +0.5 -112

Three-way money line:
Real Salt Lake +105
Draw +239
Toronto FC +320

Over/under:
2.5 over +105
2.5 under -116

noochie
06-27-2009, 10:25 AM
I despise Beckerman

Yohan
06-27-2009, 10:28 AM
I despise Beckermanwho doesn't despise that dirty hippy?

James17930
06-27-2009, 01:58 PM
A win today would be so fucking amazing.

C'mon boys -- buck the odds!

jloome
06-27-2009, 02:07 PM
This is a tough over/under, too. I'd leave this game alone entirely.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-27-2009, 03:02 PM
a draw away from home is acceptable..but this one will be tough...RSL are a good side at Home, just ask the Revs...but its a grass pitch and we have done well on the grass this year, 3 goals in DC, 6 in Montreal..

come on:scarf:

billyfly
06-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Come on boys, you can do it. BIG 3 points is needed.

Dunkers
06-27-2009, 05:24 PM
a draw away from home is acceptable..but this one will be tough...RSL are a good side at Home, just ask the Revs...but its a grass pitch and we have done well on the grass this year, 3 goals in DC, 6 in Montreal..

come on:scarf:

we also lost 3 nil to Houston, on grass
2 nil loss to Vancouver on grass

Lets go toronto! But lets not create artifical arguments here, the turf is bad enough

Hooligan69
06-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Blaaaaaaaaaah! I don't wanna stay home to watch the game tonight. :eek:

Nazzer
06-27-2009, 06:20 PM
anyone know if this game will be online anywhere? channelsurfing.net doesn't have it listed

Yohan
06-27-2009, 06:23 PM
anyone know if this game will be online anywhere? channelsurfing.net doesn't have it listed
http://atdhe.net/

FCBarcelona
06-27-2009, 07:00 PM
====
Or matchcenter on the MLS site, thats where i can see the game, it not on tv here.

Nuvinho
06-27-2009, 08:27 PM
same lineup as Wednesday.