PDA

View Full Version : would it not make sense to bring monsalve back from europe?

hodgkiss
06-26-2009, 09:12 AM
here's the thing... sutton is gone.
we have one international keeper and one american keeper that is on the bench. edwards makes $48,350.00

monsalve would provide better service and is a canadian. give him the money that edwards makes and it opens up an american spot.

he's young, is familiar with the tam and the city. from a cmnt side it makes sense because he can be seen regularly and he's just a really good keeper and a great guy.

mo, if you're reading this, get on it. i'm sure you guys tried to offer him something but i bet it was peanuts to what edwards makes.

funny thing is, since mo started bringing in canadian talent, the team has gotten much, much better!

get on it!

Parkdale
06-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Edwards is a much better keeper.

the idea of giving Monsalve the money Edwards makes is ridiculous.
also, being "familiar with the city", and "a really good guy" doesn't amount to much.

I've met David, and he's a good guy, but this isn't a logical argument.

Don Julio
06-26-2009, 09:18 AM
I really hope Mo's focus is not on our backup keeper situation.

Jack
06-26-2009, 09:22 AM
No it would not make sense.

Daveisonfire
06-26-2009, 09:23 AM
I've always liked Monsalve, but I wouldn't replace Edwards with him

rocker
06-26-2009, 09:28 AM
ya same here. Edwards is superior to Monsalve. bigger, stronger, better distribution. and Edwards is an american so he's worth more in this league if they ever had to trade him. If Frei went down I could accept Edwards as the #1... but if Frei went down I couldn't accept Monsalve as the #1. He'd be a third keeper at best right now, given his age and inexperience.

Also, 48000 that Edwards makes is peanuts against the cap.

prizby
06-26-2009, 09:29 AM
who is Monsalve

Parkdale
06-26-2009, 09:31 AM
and technically....

Mo could have traded Edwards and kept Sutton (with the canadian roster slot)
and still would have a strong position (Frei starting, Sutton as backup).

Daveisonfire
06-26-2009, 09:32 AM
who is Monsalve

fwiw here's his wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Monsalve

Mikey
06-26-2009, 09:32 AM
who is Monsalve
Like a goalkeeper but smaller....WAY smaller.

Stouffville_RPB
06-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Why would you do this? If you don't have a keeper the league provides one for you.

Chevy
06-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Edwards is a much better keeper.

the idea of giving Monsalve the money Edwards makes is ridiculous.
also, being "familiar with the city", and "a really good guy" doesn't amount to much.

I've met David, and he's a good guy, but this isn't a logical argument.

+1. I'm sure he can find a shortcut to BMO and tell you where to get a great espresso, but that ain't gonna keep balls out of the net.

Parkdale
06-26-2009, 09:36 AM
haha... hell..... I'm familiar with the city too..... can I play striker?

Stouffville_RPB
06-26-2009, 09:37 AM
haha... hell..... I'm familiar with the city too..... can I play striker?

I heard you were on deck if Gerba turned them down. Can you confirm this for me Parkdale?

Parkdale
06-26-2009, 09:42 AM
I heard you were on deck if Gerba turned them down. Can you confirm this for me Parkdale?

I can neither conform nor deny that you may, or may not, have heard something.

Yohan
06-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Also, 48000 that Edwards makes is peanuts against the cap.
then again, some people thought Harmse's 70k was too much lulz

hodgkiss
06-26-2009, 09:49 AM
it's funny, when i mentioned last year that nana should replace wynne, everyone went nuts. now this year everyone is praising him.

monsalve is not small he's 6' 2" and i think edwards is like 6' 3" hahaha - u guys are too funny.

as far as him knowing the city, it has to do with players wanting to come here. do u recall mulrooney? ruiz? nagamura? tebily? ya those guys didn't want to play here.

one day you guys will see. unless it's right in front of ur face, and everyone is talking about it, u can't spot talent.

great support guys but u gotta wake up!

ever see gabe gala play? no? cuz he doesn't get a chance. but he's better than several of our subs that see regular time. one day hopefully u will see that too! when he played with the u20s against argentina, he was making the argentine's look silly. in practice, he kills the ball and his speed and technical ability is probably near the top of the team. he just needs experience. as did nana. and look where he is now.

rocker
06-26-2009, 10:00 AM
u20s against argentina, he was making the argentine's look silly.

ya, and Pablo Vitti played on a u20 team with Messi. so what?

Edwards looks better to my eyes than Monsalve.

Monsalve is good, but you're starting a thread and making a big deal out of it.

Your job is to make a case why Monsalve is BETTER than Edwards. You haven't.

Let Monsalve get some seasoning elsewhere. He's 20 years old... lots of years left to get the experience he doesn't have.

hodgkiss
06-26-2009, 10:44 AM
sure, we'll let him get experience elsewhere and then pursue him when all the big teams want him and we can pay more and have him refuse instead...

what a joke.

Parkdale
06-26-2009, 10:58 AM
what a joke.

this thread.

can you seriously say that Monsalve is better than Edwards?
Right now, Edward's isn't taking an unreasonable chuck of the salary,
so it's very hard to justify downgrading our backup keeper for a savings
of less than $20,000 in salary cap space.

Phil
06-26-2009, 11:05 AM
http://members.gamedev.net/edxLabs/image/facepalm.jpg

It must be Friday

BFin
06-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Absolutely not.
I have seen you kick a ball.
:)

prizby
06-26-2009, 12:26 PM
and technically....

Mo could have traded Edwards and kept Sutton (with the canadian roster slot)
and still would have a strong position (Frei starting, Sutton as backup).

is paying someone 120k more worth keeping a canadian spot?

Parkdale
06-26-2009, 12:28 PM
is paying someone 120k more worth keeping a canadian spot?

if he's a better player (which in this case, he is)

besides, I never said it was better to keep Sutton over Edwards,
I said it would make more sense to keep Sutton than Monsalve

Get In There
06-26-2009, 12:31 PM
it's funny, when i mentioned last year that nana should replace wynne, everyone went nuts. now this year everyone is praising him.

monsalve is not small he's 6' 2" and i think edwards is like 6' 3" hahaha - u guys are too funny.

as far as him knowing the city, it has to do with players wanting to come here. do u recall mulrooney? ruiz? nagamura? tebily? ya those guys didn't want to play here.

one day you guys will see. unless it's right in front of ur face, and everyone is talking about it, u can't spot talent.

ever see gabe gala play? no? cuz he doesn't get a chance. but he's better than several of our subs that see regular time. one day hopefully u will see that too! when he played with the u20s against argentina, he was making the argentine's look silly. in practice, he kills the ball and his speed and technical ability is probably near the top of the team. he just needs experience. as did nana. and look where he is now.

How dare you start a thread

Excellent post

B

InTheCrowd
06-26-2009, 12:33 PM
I don't like Edwards and don't trust him as a keeper. But as a bench player he is decent enough and doesn't take up that much cap space. However I do find it ridiculous that we're using a international roster spot on a backup keeper.

Jack
06-26-2009, 12:46 PM

Wow...

Last year Nana wasn't ready to replace Wynne. Now everyone is praising him because he's doing a good job but what does that have to do with you calling for him to replace Wynne last year? A lot of people recognized that Nana was a good young talent last year and he was given limited playing time then this year he made the push for more and has done very well. That's usually how it works with young players, so no great ability of yours is in evidence there. By that same logic, Nana was brought along slowly and is now doing well, so I would imagine a similar path would suit Gala.

You need to be careful about generalization. There are about 1700 active users on this message board, so saying "u can't spot talent" is a pretty ignorant statement to generalize to everyone.

Monsalve may just develop into a great keeper and playing in Finland might be good for him.

"Bringing him back" as you suggest might not be an option.

I love how people think bringing in players is a case of snapping your fingers.

Yohan
06-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Wow...

Last year Nana wasn't ready to replace Wynne. Now everyone is praising him because he's doing a good job but what does that have to do with you calling for him to replace Wynne last year? A lot of people recognized that Nana was a good young talent last year and he was given limited playing time then this year he made the push for more and has done very well. That's usually how it works with young players, so no great ability of yours is in evidence there. By that same logic, Nana was brought along slowly and is now doing well, so I would imagine a similar path would suit Gala.

You need to be careful about generalization. There are about 1700 active users on this message board, so saying "u can't spot talent" is a pretty ignorant statement to generalize to everyone.

Monsalve may just develop into a great keeper and playing in Finland might be good for him.

"Bringing him back" as you suggest might not be an option.

I love how people think bringing in players is a case of snapping your fingers.
Gala really deserves some play time though, after promise he showed in year 1.

at least send him on a loan to some USL club so he can get some first team experience

Jack
06-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Gala really deserves some play time though, after promise he showed in year 1.

at least send him on a loan to some USL club so he can get some first team experience
No question he needs to get out there and play. But ahead of whom?

loyola
06-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Monsalve is small. His club listed him at 6'0.

He's a decent keeper but what would be the point at bringing back here? Edwards is OK and probably better than Monsalve at the moment.

InTheCrowd
06-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Messi is small too. I know Messi isn't a keeper, however as long as they get their job done I don't care about height or weight. Same goes with Gerba.

Yohan
06-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Messi is small too. I know Messi isn't a keeper, however as long as they get their job done I don't care about height or weight. Same goes with Gerba.
for a GK, height does make a difference, unless you can leap like a pogo stick. plus a bigger keeper takes up more space, esp in one on one situations

InTheCrowd
06-26-2009, 01:02 PM
for a GK, height does make a difference, unless you can leap like a pogo stick. plus a bigger keeper takes up more space, esp in one on one situations

I realize this, however he could easily make up for those couple of inches with proper positional sense.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Monsalve wasn't all that special from what I recall... I thought Djekanovic was decent for Toronto, but after the game in Montreal I've reconsidered my position...

loyola
06-26-2009, 01:05 PM
The poster who started this thread said that Monsalve was 6'2 when he is in fact 6'0 and maybe smaller (from what I've seen in person I would list him at 5'10 or 5'11). That's why I said he was small, just to correct Hodgkiss.

Yohan
06-26-2009, 01:05 PM
I realize this, however he could easily make up for those couple of inches with proper positional sense.
this is true

however, there are those bang bang plays where a GK makes a save, just because he's bigger and ball happens to hit him. more luck than skill, but eh

Parkdale
06-26-2009, 01:09 PM
The poster who started this thread said that Monsalve was 6'2 when he is in fact 6'0 and maybe smaller (from what I've seen in person I would list him at 5'10 or 5'11). That's why I said he was small, just to correct Hodgkiss.

stats are often exagerated. Barett is listed as 5'11" but I think he might be an inch or two shorter than that.

back to the original poster - The emotional take on a player should never get in the way of the honest assessment of their abilities. Just because someone is a likeable guy, or a local boy, doesn't mean they get credit for that when it comes to who should be on the roster.

InTheCrowd
06-26-2009, 01:12 PM
or a local boy, doesn't mean they get credit for that when it comes to who should be on the roster.

Well if local means Canadian I'd have to disagree. I think that our backup keeper should definitely only be taking up a domestic roster spot.

Parkdale
06-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Well if local means Canadian I'd have to disagree. I think that our backup keeper should definitely only be taking up a domestic roster spot.

and if we can find a guy who can match the value we have for Edwards (skill level - price) who is also a Canadian, then by all means, sign him.
If there are two identical players, and one is Canadian, then go for that guy.

There's no point in having someone on the field who's Canadian, just because they are Canadian (Braz anyone?).

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-26-2009, 01:28 PM
There's no point in having someone on the field who's Canadian, just because they are Canadian (Braz anyone?).
Or Pozniak... I'd definitely take Edwards over Monsalve based on skill.

Parkdale
06-26-2009, 01:41 PM
I thought Poz was a good utility player, but again, not as good as Dunnivant

torfchamilton
06-26-2009, 01:42 PM
What kind of money would you make in Finland?

hodgkiss
06-26-2009, 01:58 PM
What kind of money would you make in Finland?

more than mls. from what i have heard, monsalve was offered a contract but turned it down because it was very little. then mo went and picked up edwards in the draft and payed him more... how does that work?

so monsalve was the first choice. i have heard this from a very good source.

monsalve was the guy that mo turned to in season one against aston villa. to get the start against a club like that (even though he let in 4 goals) shows mo had some faith in the guy. the 4 that went past him didn't show much for any tfc player as we were a new team and our backs were horrible.

felipe
06-26-2009, 02:03 PM
How about bringing back Forrest? He's been out of the game for a while - might fancy a kick about - and he's pretty tall, and a canadian - ooohhh...and I just read an article on Hubert Busby, he's in shape - coaching apparently, he might fancy a chance...and I just seen some kids in the park playing basketball, they seemed to have good hands and were kind of tall - and surely canadian...

hodgkiss
06-26-2009, 02:13 PM
btw, his club (inter turku) lists him at 188 cm. maybe he grew a few cms over the last couple of years. he IS only 20 as of now... when he was with tfc he was still 17.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/spieler/94578/david-monsalve/profil.html

jloome
06-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Like a goalkeeper but smaller....WAY smaller.

Dude, WTF are you talking about? Engage brain before putting mouth into gear; he's 6'2" tall, one inch shorter than Brian Edwards and taller than several MLS starters.

He looked tiny in the Villa game becuase he was borrowing gear from Sutton, who is 6'5.

As for those who say Edwards is better, I'd say you're all full of shit. Not because you're wrong, but because there's no way to make that judgment based on what we've seen. He's made six appearances for us in two years, none of which seemed particularly impressive.

Monsalve has made one appearance for us, two years ago as a teenager, against an English premiership side.

Simply judging that because he's playing in Finland (or wherever the hell he is now) he must be inferior is intellectual dishonesty. There isn't enough out there to judge.

Having said that, it stands to reason that Mo is well aware of his availability. And so far, he's been making the right moves this year, so perhaps Edwards will show well once Frei has gone to Europe.

jloome
06-26-2009, 02:21 PM
You need to be careful about generalization.

Pot, kettle, black. Some of us quite openly stated last year that Attakora was good enough to step in.

And Brian Edwards has shown us absolutely fuck all. Monsalve let four in against Villa, but I don't recall any of them being his fault. And he did make some nice saves.

This entire debate is crap; we don't have enough info on either as a pro to judge. So the question of whether it might be smart, in the long run , to invest in a young Canadian keeper , is a legitimate one.

Anyone who doubts that, just refer to those of us who were frantically posting for Canada to cap Daniel Fernandes about a decade ago. Too fucking late now, isn't it?

There are legitimate points here. By the time we know what his prospects are, there's a possibility we won't be able to afford him.

VPjr
06-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Every coach I know who has ever worked with Monsalve has told me that he has outstanding potential. Super athletic, springs in his legs, quick reflexes, etc. etc..

the two negatives have always been that he needs to work on his body (he's very slight) and his ball distribution needs improvement.

I'd prefer to see David at home rather than toiling in Finland but, like Tossaint Ricketts and Frank Jonke, who are also over in Finland, this opportunity can hopefully be a good stepping stone to bigger and better things.

Toronto Ruffrider
06-27-2009, 06:14 PM
btw, his club (inter turku) lists him at 188 cm. maybe he grew a few cms over the last couple of years. he IS only 20 as of now... when he was with tfc he was still 17.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/spieler/94578/david-monsalve/profil.html

I've seen Monsalve in person twice - once in the Aston Villa friendly and once as an MLS reserve back-up for San Jose. In the AV game, Monsalve was tiny. However, when I saw him a second time - only a year later - Monsalve looked much taller and not quite as skinny. I don't think height is a liability for Monsalve anymore.