PDA

View Full Version : Our best starting XI

Nuvinho
06-25-2009, 12:25 PM
So when everyone is healthy, back from international duty, and eligible to play on July 15.......what is our best starting XI??

----------------------Frei---------------------

Nana---------Serioux------Garcia------Brennan

---------------Cronin-------Robbo------------

----------------------Guevara----------------

Vitti-------------------------------------DeRo

------------------------Gerba----------------

Bench:
Wynne
Dichio
Barrett
Ibbe
Velez
Gomez
White
New Player 1
New Player 2
Edwards
Sanyang (August 1st)

prizby
06-25-2009, 12:27 PM
you forgot Sanyang

Whatever happened to Kilian Elkinson

Nuvinho
06-25-2009, 12:29 PM
^ Thanks edited it!!

spezz44
06-25-2009, 12:30 PM
you forgot Sanyang

Whatever happened to Kilian Elkinson

Sanyang is not eligble.

TFC_Chris
06-25-2009, 12:30 PM
^
Released at the end of last season with Gaudet, Melo, and Ruiz.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-25-2009, 12:31 PM
So when everyone is healthy, back from international duty, and eligible to play on July 15.......what is our best starting XI??

Bench:
Wynne
Dichio
Barrett
Ibbe
Velez
Gomez
White
New Player 1
New Player 2
Edwards
SanyangI actually agree 100% with this, unless we get a DP or something...

Roogsy
06-25-2009, 12:33 PM
You've got Wynne on the bench? :eek:

I would guess not. Nana is really good, I agree. But I think Cummins will insert Wynne back on D the second he is back, if only because it will add to the value of an asset they will want to move and make money from.

The nice thing is that the addition of Garcia makes our back line pretty solid. Funny how what supporters have been asking for since the beginning of the season was the right answer? I wish Mo would have addressed that before the season began.

Other than that, from the midfield on up to the forwards, that lineup looks really good. Barrett and Dichio off the bench to provide 2nd half power? Solid baby.

Forgive me, but I think that is a roster than not only can make it to the playoffs, but can also challenge well into the playoffs.

Nuvinho
06-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Wynne is only on the bench because I think Nana is a better defender, if we were to switch during a game to a 3-5-2....I'd put Wynne as a winger.

Sanyang will be able to play Aug 1st.

I agree we do have a lineup to make the playoffs, but with the addition of 1 or 2 new players....we won't have a problem in case of injuries.

prizby
06-25-2009, 12:37 PM
^
Released at the end of last season with Gaudet, Melo, and Ruiz.

why was he released...he was still young and developing and i watched him play for UofT against Laurentian and he was just as impressive as Gabe Gala

spezz44
06-25-2009, 12:38 PM
[quote=Nuvinho;596516]

Sanyang will be able to play Aug 1st.

[quote]

Exactly and in your first post it says eliglbe to play july 15th.

Yohan
06-25-2009, 12:39 PM
why was he released...he was still young and developing and i watched him play for UofT against Laurentian and he was just as impressive as Gabe Gala
limited number of roster spots

damn MLS and their constant rule changing

TorontoBlades
06-25-2009, 12:40 PM

I would guess not. Nana is really good, I agree. But I think Cummins will insert Wynne back on D the second he is back, if only because it will add to the value of an asset they will want to move and make money from.

The nice thing is that the addition of Garcia makes our back line pretty solid. Funny how what supporters have been asking for since the beginning of the season was the right answer? I wish Mo would have addressed that before the season began.

Other than that, from the midfield on up to the forwards, that lineup looks really good. Barrett and Dichio off the bench to provide 2nd half power? Solid baby.

Forgive me, but I think that is a roster than not only can make it to the playoffs, but can also challenge well into the playoffs.

you're forgiven

Yohan
06-25-2009, 12:40 PM
only if Gerba proves to be real deal and can put the ball in the back of the net

I'd like to see either Barrett or Vitti (probably Vitti) to be another consistent scorer.

Then we're talking about a real solid playoff team

TFC Kevin
06-25-2009, 12:42 PM

Your not the only one, this team is stacked and only getting better!

TFC Kevin
06-25-2009, 12:43 PM
only if Gerba proves to be real deal and can put the ball in the back of the net

I'd like to see either Barrett or Vitti (probably Vitti) to be another consistent scorer.

Then we're talking about a real solid playoff team

Hopefully they're one of those players who really suck in the regular season but kill in the playoffs.

TorontoBlades
06-25-2009, 12:44 PM
i think by MLS standards, this team is building well for today, as well as for the future. I honestly don't know what more you could realistically expect from an MLS manager as far as putting together a roster.

Pachuco
06-25-2009, 12:51 PM
What the? what is up with all the flip flopping? Guys, 3 games ago we were the worst team in the league according to most. 3 games ago we had a walkout DRIVEN by the horrendous play on the field. Since then, we have played the absolutely worst team in the MLS twice (who has 11 loses) and a bad USL team who actually didn't even play their starters.

All of a sudden everyone is saying this team can go deep into the playoffs?
We haven't seen Gerba play in the MLS yet and we haven't played a team that we shouldn't destroyed in a while. We also have lots of away games against tough opponents.

And to put it into perspective, there's pretty much a 6 way tie in the east right now. One loss, can put us in second last just as much as one win can put us in first.

So let's take it easy, this team still needs to improve, and by that, we need altleast 2 more players that are going to have an impact down the road. We don't only need to sign them, but they have to work out as well or we could be in trouble.

Oh by the way, our best starting 11 is with Jimmy on the bench and Wynne and Nana on the field :)

Nuvinho
06-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Oh by the way, our best starting 11 is with Jimmy on the bench and Wynne and Nana on the field :)

You know if I put that in from the beginning, I would of been killed by some posters on here........I agree tho ;)

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-25-2009, 12:54 PM
You're just like a constant downer, huh? This is MLS, to quote Robbo, everyone beats everyone else. We've beaten first place teams while at the bottom of the table and lost to last place teams while at the top. There's not much difference between first and last in MLS.

nimamalek
06-25-2009, 01:00 PM

Bench:
Wynne
Dichio
Barrett
Ibbe
Velez
Gomez
White
New Player 1
New Player 2
Edwards
Sanyang

this is the first time in 3 years i've looked at our team (starting 11 and bench) and been satisfied!

poppamidnight
06-25-2009, 01:07 PM

Wynne-------Nana-----Serioux-----------Brennan

Bench:
Garcia
Dichio
Barrett
Ibbe
Velez
Gomez
White
New Player 1
New Player 2
Edwards
Sanyang (August 1st)

Just altered around a few...

IMO Garcia is NOT what he's hyped up to be...

Watch him closely, and that "vocal leadership" people talk about is merely him turning around to yell at his fellow defenders WHEN HE F**K's UP!!!

as if he's trying to hide the fact HE SCREWED UP, by blaming it on his teammates...

Don't get me wrong, this guy is an improvement over Harmse or Velez, but he's definately not what we were looking for,

IMO best bet wouldh've been Serioux + Tyronne as our CB's,

as of now, our best 11 would feature Serioux + Nana as our CB's

Roogsy
06-25-2009, 01:08 PM
What the? what is up with all the flip flopping? Guys, 3 games ago we were the worst team in the league according to most. 3 games ago we had a walkout DRIVEN by the horrendous play on the field. Since then, we have played the absolutely worst team in the MLS twice (who has 11 loses) and a bad USL team who actually didn't even play their starters.

We haven't seen Gerba play in the MLS yet and we haven't played a team that we shouldn't destroyed in a while. We also have lots of away games against tough opponents.

And to put it into perspective, there's pretty much a 6 way tie in the east right now. One loss, can put us in second last just as much as one win can put us in first.

So let's take it easy, this team still needs to improve, and by that, we need altleast 2 more players that are going to have an impact down the road. We don't only need to sign them, but they have to work out as well or we could be in trouble.

This team was always competent. People were no happy because it was the FO that was standing pat.

Since then, we have signed Nick Garcia. His impact was immediate.

We have signed, but have not seen play, Ali Gerba. I think he will make an impact as well.

The team is playing with intensity. I think they knew thay had to kick it up a notch, but I also think they got a good reminder from the fans who showed we were getting impatient.

Nana has stepped up so well.

They've moved Barrett from the top forward position to the wing. A move I think happened because they recognized they were playing Barrett out of position.

These are good developments, and yes it happened only in the last couple of weeks. But it has given this team some momentum which they sorely needed and now they are going into RSL with some confidence.

Yes...we are about to face tests. Lots of away games coming up. But that is why it was so necessary for them to gather themselves and get some wind at their backs. Had they gone into this road swing on a low, we'd probably see another summer swoon. But instead they are riding some highs which will hopefully see them gut out some results.

Let's concentrate on the good. There has been so much negativity to worry about the last couple of weeks that we really should relish these moments of positivity more fully. We are Canada champs! We are in 2nd place! We are finally seeing a solid backline! Come on Pachuco! I normally get on your case about your negativity here but now I am encouraing you to join us in savouring some good times as a TFC fan! Because you never know when the bad times are coming. All the more reason to enjoy the good times when they are here!

Lock arms with us and do the bounce!

Pachuco
Just altered around a few...

IMO Garcia is NOT what he's hyped up to be...

Watch him closely, and that "vocal leadership" people talk about is merely him turning around to yell at his fellow defenders WHEN HE F**K's UP!!!

as if he's trying to hide the fact HE SCREWED UP, by blaming it on his teammates...

Don't get me wrong, this guy is an improvement over Harmse or Velez, but he's definately not what we were looking for,

IMO best bet wouldh've been Serioux + Tyronne as our CB's,

as of now, our best 11 would feature Serioux + Nana as our CB's

Actually Garcia had a really good game yesterday. Although before yesterday I felt the same as you. The jury is still out on him I think, need to see him do what he did yesterday with more consistency.

TorontoBlades

I'm pretty sure most of the posters here were the ones that were laughing at the people that were thinking the sky was falling two weeks ago

poppamidnight
06-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Actually Garcia had a really good game yesterday. Although before yesterday I felt the same as you. The jury is still out on him I think, need to see him do what he did yesterday with more consistency.

Yea he didn't F--- up as bad as the other 2 games,

With that said, yesterday I saw a Harmse temper flair up in him when he went face to face w/ richards (lucky to not get carded)

Another negative in my book...
We already have Brennan, Amado, Robbo with hot tempers, capable of getting straight reds for Dissent... we don't need a CB to have that

Pachuco
06-25-2009, 01:13 PM
This team was always competent. People were no happy because it was the FO that was standing pat.

Since then, we have signed Nick Garcia. His impact was immediate.

We have signed, but have not seen play, Ali Gerba. I think he will make an impact as well.

The team is playing with intensity. I think they knew thay had to kick it up a notch, but I also think they got a good reminder from the fans who showed we were getting impatient.

Nana has stepped up so well.

They've moved Barrett from the top forward position to the wing. A move I think happened because they recognized they were playing Barrett out of position.

These are good developments, and yes it happened only in the last couple of weeks. But it has given this team some momentum which they sorely needed and now they are going into RSL with some confidence.

Yes...we are about to face tests. Lots of away games coming up. But that is why it was so necessary for them to gather themselves and get some wind at their backs. Had they gone into this road swing on a low, we'd probably see another summer swoon. But instead they are riding some highs which will hopefully see them gut out some results.

Let's concentrate on the good. There has been so much negativity to worry about the last couple of weeks that we really should relish these moments of positivity more fully. We are Canada champs! We are in 2nd place! We are finally seeing a solid backline! Come on Pachuco! I normally get on your case about your negativity here but now I am encouraing you to join us in savouring some good times as a TFC fan! Because you never know when the bad times are coming. All the more reason to enjoy the good times when they are here!

Lock arms with us and do the bounce!

I didn't think I was being negative at all. Believe me, I'm savoring this play as much as everyone else. I'm just not ready to say this team is good enough to go deep into the playoffs until they prove it. A couple of good performances on the road I think will prove this team is ready.

Either way, I still think this team needs 2 solid additions. 1 quality starter and 1 quality utility player. Our starting 11 may look good right now, but we all know that we'd be lucky to have 10 out of 11 of those guys on the field every game.

Roogsy
06-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Sometimes putting things "in perspective" is in itself negativity Pachuco. That's what I don't think you understand. It's like you feel you HAVE to splash cold water on dreams. That IS negative. Sometimes, you just let people dream.

Sometimes, you just relish the moments. Take a few moments to join the flights of fancy fans and supporters often take along the road. Because the cold dose of reality hits us far too often for us NOT to take these moments to picture what this team could be.

mclaren
06-25-2009, 01:36 PM

I agree with you Pachuco, we have played some horrendous opposition and now some people are talking like we're Brazil. Our recent acquisitions are fairly average and the rest of the season we're basically playing away from home. Give credit to the team for winning the last few matches, but let's keep our feet on the ground - we ain't done nuthin' yet.

T_Mizz
06-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Just throwing this out there but Nana and Wynne are both RBs right? With Jimmy on the bench we'd look pretty one sided, no?

Yohan
06-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Just throwing this out there but Nana and Wynne are both RBs right? With Jimmy on the bench we'd look pretty one sided, no?
nana can play both CB and RB

jloome
06-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Yea he didn't F--- up as bad as the other 2 games,

With that said, yesterday I saw a Harmse temper flair up in him when he went face to face w/ richards (lucky to not get carded)

Another negative in my book...
We already have Brennan, Amado, Robbo with hot tempers, capable of getting straight reds for Dissent... we don't need a CB to have that

You see, this kind of negative horseshit is why a lot of us don't post as much as we used to. When, exactly -- as in pinpoint a specific occasion in the last three games -- has Garcia been a liability to us?

Beyond that, he's the first central defender we've ever had who can deliver balls well out of the backline.

poppamidnight
06-25-2009, 05:52 PM
You see, this kind of negative horseshit is why a lot of us don't post as much as we used to. When, exactly -- as in pinpoint a specific occasion in the last three games -- has Garcia been a liability to us?

Beyond that, he's the first central defender we've ever had who can deliver balls well out of the backline.

When he got blown by his man....

Three times in the first two games, causing clear scoring chances for MTL and RBNY

(grant it none last game)

Read my post foolio... I said he's better than what we had (Velez/Harmse) BUT STILL NOT WHAT WE NEED (something of the Tyronne Marshall mold), as he's simply too slow without the height

Yohan
06-25-2009, 05:52 PM

uhhhh... he gave away that penalty in Mtl...

other than that, he's been great! :)

Yohan
06-25-2009, 05:54 PM
When he got blown by his man....

Three times in the first two games, causing clear scoring chances for MTL and RBNY

(grant it none last game)

Read my post foolio... I said he's better than what we had (Velez/Harmse) BUT STILL NOT WHAT WE NEED (something of the Tyronne Marshall mold), as he's simply too slow without the height
blown by NY?

If you're referring to Kandji, Kandji is really damn fast. very few defenders in MLS has the wheels to stay with him. Even then, Garcia forced Kandji to go wide and cut down the angle for him to shoot at

jloome
06-25-2009, 06:06 PM
blown by NY?

If you're referring to Kandji, Kandji is really damn fast. very few defenders in MLS has the wheels to stay with him. Even then, Garcia forced Kandji to go wide and cut down the angle for him to shoot at

OK, forgot the penalty. Bu Yohan's point on the other is valid. There were three occasions, two with Kandji and one with Richards, where they "blew by" him -- except they didn't, he forced them wide. The one shot that resulted in was into the stratosphere and from an acute, almost unscorable angle.

So one bad tackle hardly justifies classifying someone as a fuckup, particularly when he was one of the best players on the pitch Wednesday night. Anyone who can't see the obvious improvement in positioning and delivery from the backline since he got here isn't paying attention.

poppamidnight
06-25-2009, 06:11 PM
OK, forgot the penalty. Bu Yohan's point on the other is valid. There were three occasions, two with Kandji and one with Richards, where they "blew by" him -- except they didn't, he forced them wide. The one shot that resulted in was into the stratosphere and from an acute, almost unscorable angle.

So one bad tackle hardly justifies classifying someone as a fuckup, particularly when he was one of the best players on the pitch Wednesday night. Anyone who can't see the obvious improvement in positioning and delivery from the backline since he got here isn't paying attention.Again, I'm not saying it's not an improvement (in fact I've said it a couple times now: It is an improvement from what we had),

But it's still not what we need...

We need a tall vocal leader back there, whose got some legs...
...Something along the lines of Tyronne...

So for like the fifth time,

He's good,
but to have a full 11 without any worries... he'd be a hole in that...

IMO, He's a solid bench player... Not a playoff-lock starter

The first player off the bench when we hold leads and want to sub off a forward/MF for a Defender

We've got a shot at the playoffs this yr... Why are we doing these band-aid fix's (although we don't know, Mo could still have his eyes on another CB who he thinks is starter-worthy)

Yohan
06-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Again, I'm not saying it's not an improvement (in fact I've said it a couple times now: It is an improvement from what we had),

But it's still not what we need...

...Something along the lines of Tyronne...

So for like the fifth time,

He's good,
but to have a full 11 without any worries... he'd be a hole in that...

IMO, He's a solid bench player... Not a playoff-lock starter

The first player off the bench when we hold leads and want to sub off a forward/MF for a Defender

We've got a shot at the playoffs this yr... Why are we doing these band-aid fix's (although we don't know, Mo could still have his eyes on another CB who he thinks is starter-worthy)
Which Tyrone Marshall have you been watching? As good defender as Marshall is, he never had a lot of speed, nor was he a really vocal commanding CB who can organize the defence

So you think height is mandatory? You wanna tell Fabio Cannavaro that he sucks?

Garcia is no Cannavaro either, but so far from what I've seen (and watching few SJ games last year) no TFC defender has commanding presence, plus positioning and football IQ that Garcia has.
at 5'10", it's not like he's a midget either

In case you missed this, 2000 MLS Cup winner. 2004 US Open Cup winner. 6 USMNT caps.
How many MLS defenders can say that on their resume?

Gazza
06-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Not sure where the Ali Gerba hype comes from. Is it because he's a national team player? So were Jeff Aunger and Kevin Harmse. I really wouldn't want to see him taking quality minutes away from Dichio down the stretch.

The only team that seems to rank Gerba outside of the USL is Toronto FC and their fairweather fans.

Yohan
06-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Not sure where the Ali Gerba hype comes from. Is it because he's a national team player? So were Jeff Aunger and Kevin Harmse. I really wouldn't want to see him taking quality minutes away from Dichio down the stretch.

The only team that seems to rank Gerba outside of the USL is Toronto FC and their fairweather fans.
uhhhh... Gerba. 23 caps. 11 goals (incl 2 against Mexico)

Yohan
06-25-2009, 06:26 PM

Another note about height, Brennan, Serioux and Attakora are 6 footers. So it's not exactly we're lacking height in the back.

Also, very few MLS teams possess tall freak target man strikers, ie Nate Jaqua or Kenny Cooper or Brian McBridge.

I'd rather take good positioning sense over height anyday

Gazza
06-25-2009, 06:27 PM
9 pro years, 13 different teams...

I could do this mastercard thing all day;)

And i wonder how many goals Jeff Aunger had.

Yohan
06-25-2009, 06:31 PM

44 caps, 4 goals. a bit different than Gerba's strike rate, eh

i really dont know exactly what's Gerba's problem with clubs, but he does have one goal every 3 games strike rate

take that for what you will

Gazza
06-25-2009, 06:34 PM
My point is, i just wouldn't want to spoil any rhythm that Dero, Amado and Dichio have. Because when they're on, we have the most creative attack in the league. Gerba, for me, would be a quality back up to Dichio when he needs a rest.

My only solace is that many of Gerba's national team goals have been tee'd up by Dero. Let's watch how he does in the gold cup.

Yohan
06-25-2009, 06:36 PM
My point is, i just wouldn't want to spoil any rhythm that Dero, Amado and Dichio have. Because when they're on, we have the most create attack in the league. Gerba, for me, would be a quality back up to Dichio when he needs a rest.

My only solace is that many of Gerba's national team goals have been tee'd up by Dero. Let's watch how he does in the gold cup.
if it's any consolation, Gerba had good Gold Cup in 2007

The problem with TFC attack is that Guevara and DeRo will not be scoring goals all the time. Dichio is on his last legs (his last few games haven't been really effective)

Gerba looks like replacement for Dichio next year too.

In MLS, you gotta take some risks with players you bring in, because getting a proven commodity from overseas is very rare

jloome
06-25-2009, 06:37 PM

Meaningless. Most of those, he never got a chance to start. At Dons, when he did, he had the best strike rate on the team.

In fact, over the last five years, Gerba's strike rate is a goal every 2.9 games, better than any striker TFC's had.

Gazza
06-25-2009, 06:44 PM
You need to earn your right to start. Gerba is streaky and has been labelled as a cancer in the dressing room. If a european team wanted him, he would've stayed like all the other young canadian internationals.

I doubt he'd even be a top ranked mls striker. That would put him up there with Juan Pablo and Brian McBride...i don't see him anywhere near their caliber. I just hope that if he goes on a 10 game scoreless drought, that we don't get on his back. I'll be happy if he notches 5 goals and puts in a solid effort every night to hold the ball up for our creative midfielders.

Yohan
06-25-2009, 06:55 PM
You need to earn your right to start. Gerba is streaky and has been labelled as a cancer in the dressing room. If a european team wanted him, he would've stayed like all the other young canadian internationals.
Guevara is supposedly a locker room cancer too

Brennan joined MLS at age 29 IIRC. Serioux was like 25-26. DeRo had his chances to go play in Europe but somehow never stuck. Do they suck because they didn't stay with an European team?

I doubt he'd even be a top ranked mls striker. That would put him up there with Juan Pablo and Brian McBride...i don't see him anywhere near their caliber. I just hope that if he goes on a 10 game scoreless drought, that we don't get on his back. I'll be happy if he notches 5 goals and puts in a solid effort every night to hold the ball up for our creative midfielders.
I don't think anyone expects Gerba to be up there with top MLS strikers putting in 15 goals a season.

Gazza
06-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Brennan hadn't been on an english pitch in 2 years before he signed with toronto. He was a third stringer with norwich. He doesn't suck, he's a quality mls fullback. I just wouldn't expect him to be a saviour, let alone our captain. Serioux was not wanted in Millwall. I'm still surprised he's in the mls. He doesn't have the pace and gets exposed quite a bit. But i like him because he's mean and doesn't give up.

I'll give you Dero. He had some tough times early on in europe, whether it was injuries or racism. He found a home in the MLS and started a family. He should be an MLS hall of famer. To me, he's the best player to ever wear a Canadian jersey. But if you're comparing either Serioux or Brennan or Gerba to dero you need to have your head examined.

Darlofletch
06-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Yea he didn't F--- up as bad as the other 2 games.....

Let's see, first game, he'd only been with us a couple of days and we had a very makeshift defence with serioux at left back, not ideal conditions, but he still looked alright. Second game against montreal, we only had 3 at the back, sometimes not even that because we were chasing the game, again not ideal conditions, and he didn't look all that good in that situation, i'll give you that.

this was the first game where we've been able to put out our strongest defensive 4, and he looked good in it.

Is he a magnificent team changing dp type of centre back? no. Could he be improved upon in an ideal world? yes. Is he a step up from velez/harmse and a good solid mls level defender? I think so.

For me, the jury's still out, but it would be ridiculously unfair to judge him not good enough based on those first 2 games.

trane
06-25-2009, 07:33 PM
You know I am as critical as they come, but fuck there is a difference between critical, as many of us are, and just negative. Critical is you take a analytical look at your team and you give an opinion on the strenghts and weakness. Negative is when it is never good enough. I agree, with Roogsy, and Jloome, and others. We were at the edge of the abyss a couple of weeks ago, not just because of poor results, but because of overall poor form. At that point we voiced our displesure loudly. The club responded, from top to bottom, you have to be positive about it. Mo, has done things that have helped the club, Cummins has put players in positiiosn to succed, the players have suceed, we are in good form. There is not reason to shit on this. De Ro has been a monster, Garcia has been an improvemetn and as inteligent a CB as I have seen in this league, Guevar has been great, Cronin and Brennan probably the biggest factor in our defensive form, Nana has shown signs of not just being good but being great one day. Serioux has been a monster, Dichio has done what he always does when he is called upon ( play inteligenty and score at a .30+ rate) Vitti and barret have contributed in their roles. Most importatnly we are playing well as a team. If we keep this up we can make the playoffs and more.

Gazza
06-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Garcia still scares me. But the jury is still out. I, like most people in toronto had no idea who he was when he came here. But i think he needs someone with pace along side of him. I'd love to see Nana beside him and Wynne back on the right when he comes back. You notice the difference in the backline when he's barking out orders and encouragement. But one on one he's exposed. I have full confidence that it's something they can iron out.

trane
06-25-2009, 08:28 PM
^ I do not disagree that our best back four includes Nana and Wynne, for very different reason. Wynne-Serioux-Garcia-Nana if possible. I like Brennan but I do think he is slippong. The thing about Nana is that I see him developing into a CB, just because of his size and physical play.

Beach_Red
06-25-2009, 08:50 PM
You know I am as critical as they come, but fuck there is a difference between critical, as many of us are, and just negative. Critical is you take a analytical look at your team and you give an opinion on the strenghts and weakness. Negative is when it is never good enough.

For some people the structure of MLS with it's roster restrictions and salary cap make it difficult to support. And difficult to take an analytical look at the team's strength and weaknesses within those restrictions.

That's fair enough, it's still a minor league and not everyone likes to follow a minor league.

Gazza
06-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Take it for what it is and enjoy it.

DichioTFC
06-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Anyone else think that Barrett should try being an AMC? Maybe its that whole Rooney look he's got...

But still, 2 assists against the Tabernac, he might have some magical potential that nobody knows about...

Yohan
06-30-2009, 12:49 AM
Anyone else think that Barrett should try being an AMC? Maybe its that whole Rooney look he's got...

But still, 2 assists against the Tabernac, he might have some magical potential that nobody knows about...
nah. he has good vision and creativity for a winger, but not for centre mid.

he's been most effective as a winger. stick him there.

plus we have Guevara and DeRo to play attacking centre mid role, so this is really a non issue

DichioTFC
06-30-2009, 01:06 AM
nah. he has good vision and creativity for a winger, but not for centre mid.

he's been most effective as a winger. stick him there.

plus we have Guevara and DeRo to play attacking centre mid role, so this is really a non issue

you're right about Guevara and DeRo being better at ACM.

I would rather have DeRo on the wings with a free role, I think he really hasnt been able to unleash his creativity in some games

Yohan
06-30-2009, 01:34 AM
you're right about Guevara and DeRo being better at ACM.

I would rather have DeRo on the wings with a free role, I think he really hasnt been able to unleash his creativity in some games
I wouldn't.

Putting DeRo on wings just means less room for him move around. Less room means opposition can crowd him and make him less effective.
DeRo has decent ball skills, but not good enough to constantly beat average MLS defenders

Plus putting DeRo on wings seems to make him a bit more selfish, and he's not using his teammates well. He needs room and space to run at defenders and to spray passes to his teammates making supporting runs, which he's not been able to do effectively on wings

Big Bruva
06-30-2009, 03:46 AM
blown by NY?

Does not really matter who it was, i said from before anyone with a good amount of pace will force Garcia to struggle one on one BUT he is whats needed at the back and thats partly why you have a partnershhip at CB, Adrian has pace and they work well together.

Garcia jut needs to stay in his lanes on the pitch and he will be fine coz he seems to read the game pretty well from what i have seen so far. John Terry is the same kinda player in the sense of his pace and if he gets caught wide (out of his lane) against a player with pace he struggles but he knows where to be most of the time.

Jimmy B is not sitting and neither is Garcia lets be real.

Big Bruva
06-30-2009, 03:50 AM
^ I do not disagree that our best back four includes Nana and Wynne, for very different reason. Wynne-Serioux-Garcia-Nana if possible. I like Brennan but I do think he is slippong. The thing about Nana is that I see him developing into a CB, just because of his size and physical play.

Can't see it, Nana can't use his left like Jimmy. You can get away with doing that kinda thing in the mid but a lot of times it will hurt you tryna do that in the back.

Maybe do it when the team is up the last 15-20 mins maybe to give Jimmy a wake up call but dunno if it would really happen.

Can't think of another player that can really play left back so this might be another reason for his performances not being up to what they usually are recently.

cochrdoc
06-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Our defence needs to be blown up.Way to many goals given up from quality chances .Garcia lack of pace didn`t give him a chance on first goal against Real.Brennan giving to much space for service to players in box and lack of pace.Look at his positioning on second and third goal,although was LM on that one,Carl Robinson turned inside out on second goal.Certain players seem to be put on a higher platform then others even with poor performances.ADrianne has been a warrior for us but I think he needs some rest,Hopefully alittle break in the schedule will help.You would think finding good steady backs would be easier for Mo then a big time goalscorer.Keeping the game close and pulling out a tight game by not giving up so many games would keep the boys into it more and less complaining at each other and the ref.WE seem tohave missed out on two young Canadian backs who are contributingfor their teas,Washington and Houston