PDA

View Full Version : Let's Make a Change!

Chewy Unikronik
06-25-2009, 11:20 AM
I know this may not be a popular opinion, but I DESPISE these Saturday 3PM start times.

By the time the game is over your day is virtually shot, unless you reside in the core of the city.

You don't have much to do in the morning, as you have to get to the game, and most of the action in the city takes place much later than when the game ends. Suckas get tired and go home.

Currently, there is a survey from MLS and MLSE asking for our opinions on various matters. One of these matters includes game time starts!!!!

I for one would like to see a few more weeknight matches, Sunday afternoon, and even more so SATURDAY NIGHT matches!!!!!!!!

Night games just seem to have a little more magic to them, and allow people to actually go out and do things BEFORE and AFTER the game.

If any of you would prefer some variety to the game starts, now is our chance. Let's do it!

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-25-2009, 11:23 AM
I prefer afternoon kickoffs actually. I've never been much of a night person.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-25-2009, 11:26 AM
as long as none are 8pm im appy or 1pm... 7pm weekend and 7:30 weeknight matches i could easily handle....more home dates during the CNE would be great TOO:

Suds
06-25-2009, 11:27 AM
I prefer the night games throughout the summer.

Yohan
06-25-2009, 11:28 AM
i was surprised to see the stadium looking half decently full at 730 last game

moar night games plz. i was getting sunfucked even at 730. though totally my fault for wearing my raccoon hat and pants.

Miko
06-25-2009, 11:29 AM
I said no to Sundays but yes to evening starts.

I'd like to see a return to kick offs on the half hour as it makes it easier for transit users.

rocker
06-25-2009, 11:30 AM
last night was actually the fullest I've seen for a weeknight game ever. it was a record overall right? I can believe it. usually those weeknight games look a bit thinner.

grizzle
06-25-2009, 11:30 AM
My votes are for:
Sunday Afternoon
Saturday Evening (ie. 7pm start)
Weeknights

Where is this poll?

rocker
06-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Where is this poll?

i believe all season ticket holders got an email from The Don (Garber) with the survey.

I got it yesterday.

Eastend
06-25-2009, 11:38 AM
I said no to weeknights or Sunday games and more Saturday night games....and I agree with Miko, definite yes to half hour starts.....

Toronto Ruffrider
06-25-2009, 01:57 PM
My preferred start time in the summer is Saturday at 7:30 p.m. The weather isn't too hot at that time in the evening, and I prefer games that start at half past the hour because then I don't have to sprint to the GO Train platform - selfish, I know.

Roogsy
06-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Ugh...Saturday evenings. I would hate it. The afternoon games let me enjoy the game, enjoy the post-game events and still go out afterwards.

C.Ronaldo
06-25-2009, 02:05 PM
too hot in the summer, and the game is too slow with summer day time games.

weeknight games are my favourite

breaks up the week for me

H Bomb
06-25-2009, 02:05 PM
saturday nights sound good to me

pubboy
06-25-2009, 02:09 PM
It's a footie tradition - 3pm starts on saturday afternoon. Then home, quick shower and change, and out on the lash !
is nothing sacred ??? (joking !)
But seriously, hell no to saturday night games.

pedro
06-25-2009, 02:12 PM
But do you know why it's a tradition to start at 3pm? Because way back in the day in England, people worked half days on Saturday, getting out of the factory mid-day. Since there weren't any floodlights, mid afternoon was chosen.

So why should we be beholden to a system created in another country, at another time, for other needs? Our needs are get out of the heat so we can have a better game, no?

cementhead
06-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Saturday night and Sunday afternoons!

daner90
06-25-2009, 02:17 PM
I would defintley enjoy saturday night games at 7:30 and if possibly more home games in july and august...

Chewy Unikronik
06-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Ugh...Saturday evenings. I would hate it. The afternoon games let me enjoy the game, enjoy the post-game events and still go out afterwards.
LOL... we all don't have that kinda stamina. Sitting out in the sun for at least 3 hours, going to eat or pub after and then trying to go out in the evening is not something I can do after every game!!!

It's a footie tradition - 3pm starts on saturday afternoon. Then home, quick shower and change, and out on the lash !
is nothing sacred ??? (joking !)
But seriously, hell no to saturday night games.
It's only a quick shower and change if you live close by. I'm not willing to drive all the way back out to Ajax and back, nor go train it. A little variety wouldn't hurt.

And sucks to tradition!!! :) Otherwise, we'd be playing matches in the fall and winter as well...

Kaz
06-25-2009, 02:18 PM
as someone that would like to make it to the CCL qualifier but is stuck 6 ours away from bmo (travel time) and I often have to be back for 7am work start time, I prefer any game that ends by 10pm, so I can get back to Bay St to hope a 11;30pm bus back to northern Ontario so I can head right to work.

anytime between 3 and 7:30 is ideal

pubboy
06-25-2009, 02:19 PM
But do you know why it's a tradition to start at 3pm? Because way back in the day in England, people worked half days on Saturday, getting out of the factory mid-day. Since there weren't any floodlights, mid afternoon was chosen.

So why should we be beholden to a system created in another country, at another time, for other needs? Our needs are get out of the heat so we can have a better game, no?

Yes i do know why, as i used to work saturday mornings and go to the footie afterwards. Floodlights have been around for longer than you think !
I just have lots of things to do Saturday nights, so would rather the games were not then.

Chewy Unikronik
06-25-2009, 02:21 PM
A game starting at 7:30 gives you plenty of time to do things before and after it's start.

Again, no one's saying all matches have to be at that time, but I don't need them all to be 3PM sauna and sun fests either

pubboy
06-25-2009, 02:22 PM
LOL... we all don't have that kinda stamina. Sitting out in the sun for at least 3 hours, going to eat or pub after and then trying to go out in the evening is not something I can do after every game!!!

It's only a quick shower and change if you live close by. I'm not willing to drive all the way back out to Ajax and back, nor go train it. A little variety wouldn't hurt.

And sucks to tradition!!! :) Otherwise, we'd be playing matches in the fall and winter as well...

Nah mate - live in Milton, and i still get time. You should take less time in the shower ! :D
Tradition is not always a bad thing ! ;)

Jay P
06-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Sat nights, i don't mind the 4pm starts, but evening games are sweet
a lot of other MLS teams play in the evening, and I am sure the heat in the summer is a factor.

besides I work weekends so whatever helps me make the games I'm all for.

Toronto Ruffrider
06-25-2009, 02:27 PM
A game starting at 7:30 gives you plenty of time to do things before and after it's start.

Again, no one's saying all matches have to be at that time, but I don't need them all to be 3PM sauna and sun fests either

I can't imagine standing in the afternoon sun at BMO on a day like yesterday. You can easily get sick in that kind of weather. There's quite a difference in sun and heat between a November afternoon in England and a June afternoon in Toronto!

jabbronies
06-25-2009, 02:29 PM
I picked night games arcross the board.

Standing on the east side sitting in the sun the whole game drains the hell out of me and the crowd as a whole. it's much quieter and less rowdy I find during those balmy afternoon games.

Get In There
06-25-2009, 02:33 PM

100% Saturday Night Fever

sully
06-25-2009, 02:40 PM
I'd say TV dictates the K.O. times really..

mclaren
06-25-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm a bit of a football traditionalist and when TFC first came to town I wanted 3 PM kick-offs. However, now I realise that doesn't make sense in North America in summer. It's just way too hot in the East stands plus, everyone knows night matches get a better atmosphere! Bring on more weekend night matches!

Carts
06-25-2009, 03:04 PM
I prefer late Saturday afternoon or night games - just my personal preference... I like having time before to tailgate, or sit at the pub for a couple...

I would HATE to have lots of Sunday games - going to work hungover is no fun (I'm living that today LOL)...

Weeknight games are neat 'now and then' but I hate having to rush out of work etc and then the next day hurtin...

There's no right or wrong answer, its all our own personal preference & what fits in to our schedules & lifestyles...

Carts...

Yeoman
06-25-2009, 03:10 PM
so for someone that drives five hours to TO to see games (as there is a few others, maybe not that many hours but three hours one way is still six on the road), definetely don't want to see more weeknights and sundays.
like it has been said, it's traditional to do so.
for ruining the rest of your day? how? you're home at what? 7:30? plenty of time to hit up whatever. i hit up joe's afterwards, drive back to london and still manage to have a grand ol time at the pub back home.

Chewy Unikronik
06-25-2009, 04:38 PM
so for someone that drives five hours to TO to see games (as there is a few others, maybe not that many hours but three hours one way is still six on the road), definetely don't want to see more weeknights and sundays.
like it has been said, it's traditional to do so.
for ruining the rest of your day? how? you're home at what? 7:30? plenty of time to hit up whatever. i hit up joe's afterwards, drive back to london and still manage to have a grand ol time at the pub back home.

Who's home @ 7:30??? Certainly not me. Do you not see the traffic alone at the end of the game, plus 45-60 minute drive?

It does possibly ruin your day if you don't live in the city and have to go home to either shower or change, only to have to come all the way back down for say 10 or 11.

And please save this tired "it's tradition" arguement. We don't play games in November or February do we? Last time I checked, a Spring/Summer schedule had nothing to do with tradition.

3 or 4 Saturday night games during the hottest points of the season is a reasonable suggestion.

Yohan
06-25-2009, 04:59 PM
out of towners also don't make up the majority of crowd at BMO...

majority rules

Chewy Unikronik
06-25-2009, 05:20 PM
And I suppose all of these city dwellers love sitting in the hot sun in July and August?

In all seriousness, why are people against having a few night games in the season? I don't get it.

Yeoman
06-25-2009, 06:42 PM
i have nothing against night games, provided they're saturday night.
maybe i'm just one of the few fortunates that can manage to go from noon or earlier when i work the tailgates till when the pub closes in woodstock at '2am'
yes i meant to put 8:30, i did not notice that until you made mention of it, my bad. generally I'm home by 9:30 even when there's a 3pm kick off. and I drive to woodstock?
what about guys like buffalo, myself, or markinottawa? all season holders, all can't attend week night games in TO. i actually know of three other guys in petawawa, that have seasons. so they're screwed as well.
and it's a little hard to play games in feburary. though if you look at russia and the scandanavian nations (who play the same time frame), look at when they play.
i get you want night games.
day games are indeed brutual because of that sun. most people don't take care of themselves and drink water with their booze before hand, and water with that stupidly over priced beers at the field (just why that i always have more water then anything else when i've got coolers supplied for tailgates for games i can actually attend).
so you want games to start at what? say 7:30 possibly 8? nothing wrong with that, for a saturday night game. there's no way i would go to a sunday night game that starts at 8, only to drive five some odd hours to get back up to the base to report back into work at 0600. no way.

greatwhitenorf
06-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Love what hot Saturday afternoons do to female supporters wardrobes. And we have some great lookin' ladies at our games.

The summer heat here is nowhere near as bad as it is Stateside and when we get grass, the players will be even more comfortable.

The nighttime atmosphere does go up a notch as we've seen for both these Red Burp visits. But I love the tradition of a 3pm kickoff. Love enjoying the summer sun as well.

Derko
06-25-2009, 07:28 PM
First Choice: Saturday 1:00pm or 2:00pm

Second Choice: Tuesday or Wednesday Evening 8:00 pm (I am from out of town and getting to BMO through traffic is hell)

Third Choice:Sunday 1:00pm or 2:00pm

joesoccerfan
06-25-2009, 07:40 PM
What else is going on Saturday nights in the summer? Absolutely perfect for soccer!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-25-2009, 07:43 PM
The majority of MLS teams play there games at night.....I wish we would too!