PDA

View Full Version : Halfway Point Remaining Schedule

Flashman
06-25-2009, 11:00 AM
I was looking at the remaining schedule, and most of us are aware that TFC have a large percentage of games on the road remaining (10 of 15 : 67%).

I was surprised to notice that we also have a large (the same) percentage of games vs Western Conference opponents (10 of 15 : 67%).

While it is nice to win against opponents in your own conference (the proverbial 6-point-game), except for a few exceptions (Houston, Seattle, maybe Colorado and Chivas) I think the west is still an easier opponent.

TFC is sitting on 22 points at the halfway mark, and we probably need 18 more points to guarantee a playoff spot (6 wins). I think the team will only be getting better with the return of Wynne (who may have a hard time winning his spot back), Ali G, Jamie Smith, and...? I hope they can pick up a couple of utility or developmental players to fill out the roster.

Thoughts? :scarf:

London
06-25-2009, 11:05 AM
we actualy play 16 west teams and 14 east teams this season.

anyone care to explain that??

rocker
06-25-2009, 11:05 AM
while the road schedule is scary, it's still ok if certain things happen.

what needs to happen is TFC wins most of those home games. if they take 4, that'd give us 10 wins total. Then in the 10 road games, you pull off 2 wins, 2 ties.

then we'd have 42 points and that's probably good enough for the playoffs.
if they play well on the road, it gets easier of course, since most MLS teams suck on the road.

But it won't be easy. However I think this team is probably more capable on the road than previous seasons.

I'm also going to be watching what happens to our enemies due to callups for Gold Cup, WCQ, injuries, Champions League group stage.

It's not always just what we can do but what happens to our opponents.

ensco
06-25-2009, 11:18 AM
We have 17 points from 10 home games (1.7 ppg)

We have 5 points from 5 road games (1.0 ppg). Our road record is pretty good so far. Key will be to maintain this rate.

At these rates, we'll finish with 43-44 points.

Yohan
06-25-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm not too optimistic on road

speaking of western conference, Colorado? WTF? Omar Cummings having a career year along with Conor Casey.

San Jose slowly getting groove back with Huckerby back

Seattle can't find a way to win, but they are still drawing and Seattle at home is still dangerous

Ditto with LA

seriously. No Western conference opponent is to be taken lightly. Even Dallas. (spanked Chicago 3-0 and won 2-1 vs Columbus)

lose a few and the boys goes into their funk and it might get ugly

Flashman
06-25-2009, 11:20 AM
I am cheering loudly for the US as the Gold Cup Quarter Finals are July 17/18 and TFC plays Houston (stuart Holden and Brian Ching) on the 18th, and the Finals are on the 26th, and TFC plays Columbus (Chad Marshall and Robbie Rogers) on the 25th

Flashman
06-25-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm not too optimistic on road

speaking of western conference, Colorado? WTF? Omar Cummings having a career year along with Conor Casey.

San Jose slowly getting groove back with Huckerby back

Seattle can't find a way to win, but they are still drawing and Seattle at home is still dangerous

Ditto with LA

seriously. No Western conference opponent is to be taken lightly. Even Dallas. (spanked Chicago 3-0 and won 2-1 vs Columbus)

lose a few and the boys goes into their funk and it might get ugly

Yes, Colorado is hot at the moment, but it remains to see if they can sustain that. All teams go through hot-streak/cold-streak spells

Yohan
06-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Yes, Colorado is hot at the moment, but it remains to see if they can sustain that. All teams go through hot-streak/cold-streak spells
this is so true in MLS

no team seems to be steady in consistency. even Chivas and Chicago are having their funk moments

but Colorado just slipped in unnoticed and put together a solid team that plays some really good football. and without a DP. imagine that. lol

arguably, Colorado has been the most consistent team in MLS from the start of this season...

TFC_Chris
06-25-2009, 11:31 AM
we actualy play 16 west teams and 14 east teams this season.

anyone care to explain that??

There are 8 teams in the West vs 7 teams in the East
Since we play each team twice and include two "Rivalry" match-ups that gives us:
West - 8 teams x 2 games = 16 games
East - 6 teams (not including us) x 2 games = 12 games
East - 2 teams x 1 game = 2 games
Total = 30 games

rocker
06-25-2009, 11:44 AM
seen Chicago's home record? worse than ours. The only reason they even close to the top is a sparkling road record (part of which was gifted to them thanks to a certain referee).

TFC need to grind it out on the road. if they pulled an LA Galaxy and went on a road tie run, maybe toss in a surprise road win, they could get 10 points in 10 games on the road. play strong at home and we're fine. I hope the lack of home form early was just a fluke.

olegunnar
06-25-2009, 11:53 AM
We were doing pretty well in year one until fixture build up decimated us with injuries.

Lets see what our roster and injury list looks like after the Real madrid game. From the caRP game to the RM game we have 6 games in 17 days....5 of those games on turf.

We don't have a bench this year so it could be pretty bad.

Pachuco
06-25-2009, 12:31 PM
I respectfully disagree that the west is easier then the East. Not this year it's not.

I think this thread needs a little grounding. We need more then developmental players or another Harmse to make a push for the playoffs. People are being very short sighted. There is no doubt this team is playing better, but it's playing better against the absolute worst team in the MLS (TWICE) and against a bad USL team that played their bench. If we lost any of those games, all hell would've broken lose.

So the big challenge is how we perform on the road. We need a key addition in the midfield (particularly the wings) in order to take on that challenge or possibly even a DP striker.

That's my 2 cents

rocker
06-25-2009, 12:59 PM
IWe need more then developmental players or another Harmse to make a push for the playoffs.

that's what the transfer window is for.. which opens July 15.

my guess is Mo will fill out the roster at that time.. there's no reason otherwise.

a few decent additions in the window and then this team is as deep as most MLS teams.

prizby
06-25-2009, 01:02 PM
We don't have a bench this year so it could be pretty bad.

when we have everyone, we are gonna have nana or wynne on the bench...we will likely have ibrahim on the bench, as well as any combination of 2 of DeRo, Vitti, Barrett, Gerba, and Dichio...not to mention OB White

thats not that bad of a bench

and CC said there are likely another signing on its way!