View Full Version : Cronin called up for Gold Cup

djking2
06-25-2009, 09:31 AM
http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_14942228.html

I didn't see that coming

Darlofletch
06-25-2009, 09:32 AM
good for him, but booooooo!

Ah well, harmse can take his midfield spot. eh? oh!

Niall
06-25-2009, 09:35 AM
I don't see Wynne in that line up though.

Dozitwin
06-25-2009, 09:36 AM
The other side of that is that Wynne is not listed on the squad....so you have wynne and attakora at the back and have Jimmy or Serioux push up into the mid.

Redpunkfiddle
06-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Its an MLS- heavy B team, so its not saying he'll be pulled away during the WCQ. Still, he may be given a chance to impress and maybe down the road he'll break into the top squad.

Its a pain for us though for sure.

spezz44
06-25-2009, 09:38 AM
good for him, he's been a awesome for us this year. sucks though cause the team will miss him.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Congratulations to him, but damn, he's been a key player... Hopefully the US crash out. :D

CoachGT
06-25-2009, 09:44 AM
good for him, but booooooo!

Ah well, harmse can take his midfield spot. eh? oh!

Dooooh! Harmse is now at Chivas!

zeelaw
06-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Great for Cronin, He'll improve in value but damn more players gone. How come we always get the best Canadian AND best yankees.

Gazza_55
06-25-2009, 09:54 AM

I didn't see that coming

This is friggin nuts. They call up Marvell Wynne twice this year for a total of 2 1/2 months and he sits on the bench. Now Cronin who is a key part of our midfield will miss another month so he can be a practise player. Is he even going to be back for the Puerto Rico Islanders match?

If US Soccer wants to play in these tournaments stop taking players who are in the middle of their seasons. Aren't there enough European based American players to beat Mexico's C team?

rocker
06-25-2009, 10:06 AM
hey, look on the bright side: other MLS teams just lost more important players: Jon Busch in Chicago.... Chad Marshall and Robbie Rogers in Columbus... Jimmy Conrad AND Davy Arnaud in KC... Holden AND Ching for Houston... in a way, I hope the US does well so we don't see Holden and Ching at BMO on July 18 ;)

we're lucky we don't have any games from June 28 to July 10. So the effect should be lessoned a bit.

Yohan
06-25-2009, 10:08 AM
This is friggin nuts. They call up Marvell Wynne twice this year for a total of 2 1/2 months and he sits on the bench. Now Cronin who is a key part of our midfield will miss another month so he can be a practise player. Is he even going to be back for the Puerto Rico Islanders match?

If US Soccer wants to play in these tournaments stop taking players who are in the middle of their seasons. Aren't there enough European based American players to beat Mexico's C team?
and why would USMNT give a fuck about TFC?

poppamidnight
06-25-2009, 10:27 AM
and why would USMNT give a fuck about TFC?

Not about USMNT,

About the players... They hold the right to Veto, choose not to participate.

You know what? If Canada calls on me to play on it's 2nd-tier team, seemingly in a Bench role, and I'm in the playoff hunt starting every game with my club, then I'm saying thanks :canada: but no thanks,

You want me to play, Give me a committment in writing that I'll start for you,
Otherwise, my skills are more beneficial to the people that sign my paycheques.

rocker
06-25-2009, 10:28 AM
well, some of these guys are not in a position to get that kind of promise.
For a lot of these dudes, they would love to be on the national team for the world cup and they just want a look from Bob Bradley. They won't say no or else they'll never get a look.

Lucky Strike
06-25-2009, 11:11 AM

I didn't see that coming

Happy for him, but argh! Leave our players alone!

Yohan
06-25-2009, 11:14 AM
For a lot of these dudes, they would love to be on the national team for the world cup and they just want a look from Bob Bradley. They won't say no or else they'll never get a look.
what he said

once you've reached DeRo level of stature, you can turn down NT duties

but you're a rookie and you say no to representing your country, it's going to rub people wrong in a lot of ways

even if it's in a B team, you're going to say no to a national team cap, esp for US?

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-25-2009, 11:16 AM
what he said

but you're a rookie and you say no to representing your country, it's going to rub people wrong in a lot of ways

even if it's in a B team, you're going to say no to a national team cap, esp for US?
Great point!

Toronto_Bhoy
06-25-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm not surprised…I think Sam has been absolutely outstanding…thinks way beyond his years.

He won't be here for long…

Carter
06-25-2009, 11:37 AM
If he caps for USMNT doesn't that mean he can move to euro?

Im confused about this rule. any light on the subject would be awesome!

Yohan
06-25-2009, 11:50 AM

For British work permit, I believe you have to played in 75% of national team games in 2 years for work permit. But if you're a star player, that gets waived.

Every other league's rules work a bit differently, with teams being allowed to sign one or two non EU players per season or something.

So technically Cronin can make the jump to EU right now, if a team wants to sign him

rocker
06-25-2009, 11:52 AM

what I remember with Mo Edu was you have to play a certain number of games with the nats to get a permit to play in Great Britain. gotta prove you're a solid talent and not some schmuck who's going to take a British player's job.
But it's complicated and there are review committees and appeals etc. Not sure about the rest of Europe, since there are Canadians who head over there without having played a lot or any with Canada.

rocker
06-25-2009, 12:04 PM
hey I just realized Amado was not called up by Honduras for the Gold Cup!

suweeet!

so he gets some well deserved rest for two weeks after the RSL game and we have him until August 12 when his next WCQ game is.

ilikemusic
06-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Keep Wynne and leave us Cronin! :(

TorCanSoc
06-25-2009, 02:39 PM
I see Cronin trying to play with the ball a bit more in the midfield. His confidence is rising. Good for him.

dclaro
06-25-2009, 02:47 PM
hey I just realized Amado was not called up by Honduras for the Gold Cup!

suweeet!

so he gets some well deserved rest for two weeks after the RSL game and we have him until August 12 when his next WCQ game is.
when i was watching the game yesterday from the MSG feed, the commentor said he was called up but he turned them down

jmorgs88
06-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Not about USMNT,

in this sport no coach can give you any sort of guarantee like that, cronin is young, would be hard to turn down your first callup to the national side, could cost a player in the long run

Marc"2L"
06-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Any ideas on formation sans Cronin?

Darlofletch
06-25-2009, 09:55 PM

The other side of that is that Wynne is not listed on the squad....so you have wynne and attakora at the back and have Jimmy or Serioux push up into the mid.

What he said, unless there's new players brought in to fill our empty roster spots by then who could fill his role.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Just something to add, a lot of players might hold EU citizenship through their parents, which eliminates the need for a work permit. I read that, for instance, Lars Hirschfeld has an EU passport, and I also hold European citizenship so I wouldn't have trouble going over there to work.

Yohan
06-25-2009, 10:59 PM

what i wrote in the other thread

I'm really bothered by Cronin being gone.
He's that vital link between Guevara and Robbo right now.

Now Serioux can play DM and move Robbo up as CM, but as much as I like Robbo's other qualities, he's not a good passer. In fact, it seems his passing as gone more shite as of late.

Other option is put DeRo as AM and pull Guevara as CM, but Guevara isn't as effective as a CM than AM. Though this option may be best of two choice, if Vitti and Barrett and DeRo continues to produce as they have already.

so option 1

------------Frei
-Wynne-Nana-Garcia-Brennan
------Serioux
--------------Robbo
--DeRosario-Guevara-Vitti
------------Dichio

option 2
-----------Frei
-Nana-Garcia-Serioux-Brennan
------Robbo-Guevara
-Barrett--DeRosario-Vitti
----------Dichio

or play 4-4-2 :p

jloome
06-26-2009, 12:10 AM
-----------Frei------------
----Nana--Serioux--Garcia---
Wynne------------------Brennan
-------Guevara--Robbo----------
----Barrett-------------Vitti----
--------------DeRo

Fort York Redcoat
06-26-2009, 07:25 AM
Not about USMNT,

About the players... They hold the right to Veto, choose not to participate.

You know what? If Canada calls on me to play on it's 2nd-tier team, seemingly in a Bench role, and I'm in the playoff hunt starting every game with my club, then I'm saying thanks :canada: but no thanks,

what he said

One must consider the exposure aspect as well. We all know the difference between how Edu played for country vs club last year. Internationally it didn't matter his inconsistency for Toronto when people were looking more at older US coverage.

A couple good outings for country can make a guys career but MLS exposure, while it's been getting better...

greatwhitenorf
06-26-2009, 09:00 AM
We saw Wynne playing the right side of midfield earlier this year. Would like to see them persevere with this.

Could be his best position as his quickness and ball-winning ability in one-v-one's would be very beneficial. He's already tough to defend against when he overlaps, so this could really stretch open defences and give Barrett and Vitti more chances to miss goals:-).

Yohan
06-26-2009, 09:39 AM
We saw Wynne playing the right side of midfield earlier this year. Would like to see them persevere with this.

Could be his best position as his quickness and ball-winning ability in one-v-one's would be very beneficial. He's already tough to defend against when he overlaps, so this could really stretch open defences and give Barrett and Vitti more chances to miss goals:-).
the problem is that I thought he looked pretty clueless operating as a right winger. did not know when to run forward

zeelaw
06-26-2009, 09:48 AM
-----------Frei------------
----Nana--Serioux--Garcia---
Wynne------------------Brennan
-------Guevara--Robbo----------
----Barrett-------------Vitti----
--------------DeRo
switch barrett and dero and you got quite an interesting lineup.

Yohan
06-26-2009, 09:57 AM
switch barrett and dero and you got quite an interesting lineup.
except Barrett sucks as CF. DeRo is not a good CF either, but at least he can finish.

Steve
06-26-2009, 10:19 AM
the problem is that I thought he (Wynne) looked pretty clueless operating as a right winger. did not know when to run forward

This I agree with. I was actually really disappointed whenever I saw him in the midfield. In defense, he has poor positioning, but makes up for it with speed. Add in overlapping runs, and late game runs, and he's a really dangerous player. In midfield, his greatest asset is neutralized. He no longer gets to make a sick run while the winger in front of him is drawing the defense. Now the defense is concentrated on him, and he gets less time on the ball to blow past people before he's closed down. I just feel like on defense, his overlapping runs are killer because it's over and above our normal attack. As a part of our normal attack, his runs lose their bite.

except Barrett sucks as CF. DeRo is not a good CF either, but at least he can finish.

I agree with this. DeRo has shown this year he is the best finisher on our team (we'll see about Gerba and OBW). I don't want Barrett at the top. Not only because I don't trust him to finish, but because I think his service is good, and he's more likely to take his chances (and not ruin his confidence) if he gets less easy chances on goal (let him have the harder shots, he's more likely to pot them, and we're less likely to yell at him if he doesn't).

jloome
06-26-2009, 11:34 AM

Bingo.

zeelaw
06-26-2009, 12:34 PM
yea, but you'd want de-ro closer to midfield so he could create more.

Yohan
06-26-2009, 12:37 PM
yea, but you'd want de-ro closer to midfield so he could create more.
purpose of a CF is not to create, esp using DeRo's game.

Darlofletch
06-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Did dichio retire already and I didn't hear about it? move de ro back to lw/rw and Dichio up front. Barrett or Vitti takes the other wing position with the other one ready to come off the bench later on in any of the 3 forward positions.

prizby
06-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Great for Cronin, He'll improve in value but damn more players gone. How come we always get the best Canadian AND best yankees.

cuz we always lose and get the best draft picks

zeelaw
06-27-2009, 09:21 AM
cuz we always lose and get the best draft picks
good point