PDA

View Full Version : GolTv Free All August incl. Real Madrid

Inswingingwingman
06-24-2009, 08:45 PM
In HD....for Real Madrid anyways, just heard it for the 2nd time on Gol Tv.

Free on "All Carriers..."

Wooster_TFC
06-24-2009, 09:21 PM
I'll believe it when I see it...Rogers will screw the pooch again I'm sure.

Inswingingwingman
06-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Horse Hockey. They Said Free.....all August...all carriers...that means Rogers too...

JonO
06-24-2009, 09:59 PM
I keep hearing this, but do they even have a HD channel??

Canary Canuck
06-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Gol TV in HD would be sweet.

mlsintoronto
06-24-2009, 10:10 PM
The HD channel will be based on digi carriers who are feeling cooperative. They all have unused HD channels.

BakaGaijin
06-24-2009, 10:24 PM
The HD channel will be based on digi carriers who are feeling cooperative. They all have unused HD channels.

So...do you have to subscribe to regular GOL TV to get the GOL TV HD for free.......or are both GOL TV channels going to be on free preview?

Additionally, if you could pass on the word: Get us some J-league and AFC Champions League matches! Get them on live........cheap programming (I am assuming) that can be aired without interfering with any other live programming (I don't need to see Off The Pitch 50 times a week).

Inswingingwingman
06-24-2009, 10:41 PM
All they said is GolTV is free on all providers in August, and the Real Madrid Game is HD. So go and prove me wrong...

Why are so many people negative here...they said it twice on TV....

Is that good enough.....

Wooster_TFC
06-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Horse Hockey. They Said Free.....all August...all carriers...that means Rogers too...

They also said it would be free earlier in the season, and I never once got to see a game for free. Called Rogers and they either had "technical issues" or "it wasn't free" or some other lame excuse. According to a PM conversation with Paul, Rogers screwed the pooch.

He basically told me to buy Gol TV if I expected to ever see it on Rogers. There's no benefit for me to do so beyond TFC so I haven't bothered yet. Plus the whole experience cheesed me off.

So, I will believe it when I see it.

bob
06-25-2009, 07:29 AM
Gol TV in HD...sweet!
Free in August...sweet!
If it doesn't happen on Rogers...that's ok :) .... I always got my FTA satellite back up :hump:

elvis
06-25-2009, 09:19 AM

Is Rogers feeling cooperative?

Do you know when/if Goltv will have a permanent home in HD? That's when I will subscribe.

BakaGaijin
06-25-2009, 09:23 AM

Do you know when/if Goltv will have a permanent home in HD? That's when I will subscribe.

Well.........Rogers apparantly owns 80% of Setanta Sports Canada. This channel is strong competition for Setanta.............so, I don't think Rogers is too keen on seeing Gol TV succeed.

chileno
06-25-2009, 12:17 PM
GolTV stinks. It isn't avaliable in HD and I don't think there will be an HD channel made only avaliable for this Real Madrid game. The presentation of TFC games on GolTV is below bush league. When you have USL games being played on HD on CBC before a Confederations Cup game, something is seriously wrong in Canada! GolTV won't be in HD for a really really long time, maybe never...

Pigfynn
06-25-2009, 12:23 PM
^^ and you know this how?

I think the fact that Paul just said the complete opposite to you in this thread might make your comments a little bit....uhhhh wrong.

JonO
06-25-2009, 01:52 PM

Just in case anyone in here is from rogers - me too!

Inswingingwingman
06-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Gol Tv is on a channel that can do high def, if the feed is hi def. Simple as that. For the Real Madrid deal, you have to believe that MLS signed a deal for the game, as part of the revenue to pay for the Spanish side's expenses. I assume they want to sell this all over the place, and in the process have HD setup because you want to sell it to Europe, you need more than a Rogers lite 3 inch by 3 inch computer feed.

Normally when promos are done, ie a channel is going to be free, Rogers puts it on Cable 1. That way you can be enticed to pick up a digital box to get the actual channel. Just marketing 101.

So Paul says it's so, I heard it on Gol TV's feed last night 2 times, Real Madrid on Goal TV free in August on all major carriers, with grass. I'm sure they will post it on their website. Now that the game is sold out who's got tickets LOL!

Anyone selling? (Yells).

Just so you know I've neither bought nor sold a ticket via scalpers. But once my son was taking me to an Argos game and we had nose bleed tickets. No one was buying so my son gets box seats for $20 a piece. We paid more than that for the crappy tickets, but the game was just starting and the scalper had a fist full of tickets he couldn't sell....

JonO
06-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Gol Tv is on a channel that can do high def, if the feed is hi def. Simple as that.
Not gonna happen - no station is going to broadcast a HD feed on the only channel they have. That would automatically exclude the majority of their clients (who do not have HD)

Time to speak to a friend of mine at Rogers... ;)

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Well.........Rogers apparantly owns 80% of Setanta Sports Canada. This channel is strong competition for Setanta.............so, I don't think Rogers is too keen on seeing Gol TV succeed.

they work well with each other..setanta still shows delayed TFC games,
and we need two football networks...one for the EPL and world footie (setanta) and one for domestic footie Tfc,mls (Gol)

leafsman
06-25-2009, 04:29 PM
tried to email them asking when this hd channel will be available and it came back undeleiverable.

Inswingingwingman
06-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Found on the net:

GOL TV Canada going HD soon?

Here is my evidence: First, the CRTC (the Canadian version of the American FCC) has authorized GOL TV to go HD on June 12th of this year with the following official press release:

The Commission approves the application by Gol TV (Canada) Ltd. to amend the broadcasting licence for the national, Category 2 specialty programming undertaking known as Gol TV (originally approved under the name of The Soccer Net) to extend, until the end of its licence term, the authority granted in Broadcasting Decision 2006-239 to allow the service to be made available for distribution in high definition (HD) format. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.

Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. (MLSE), which owns 80.1% of GOL-TV Canada have announced that:

Later this summer, MLSE will unveil its long-term programming and production strategy for their all-soccer network which includes relaunching the GOLTV brand and relocating the network's existing studios to a high-definition broadcast facility inside Air Canada Centre.

Lastly, Toronto FC (of the MLS) have put out the following press release just today in regards to their friendly on August 7th vs. Real Madrid (which by the way is SOLD OUT):

GOLTV Canada also announced that it will produce and broadcast the Toronto FC versus Real Madrid friendly in High-Definition.

As Canada’s all-soccer network dedicated to the Canadian perspective on the global game, GOLTV will be available in freeview on all major cable carriers for the month of August. Presently, more than five million households across the country who subscribe to digital television will have access to the channel. ESPN will also broadcast the friendly match in the United States. ESPN is carried in 96 million households.

I think I have enough pieces of the puzzle to conclude that Canadians may see GOL TV (and therefore La Liga) in glorious HD come August!!!

In related news, the Toronto FC press release also mentions that GOL TV will be showing the Wembley Tournament this year:

Celtic vs Al-Ahly, July 24 at 4:30 p.m. GMT
Tottenham vs Barcelona, July 24 at 7 p.m. GMT
Barcelona vs Al-Ahly, July 26 at 12:30 p.m. GMT
Tottenham vs Celtic, July 26 at 3 p.m. GMT

Inswingingwingman
06-25-2009, 05:49 PM
bumping for fun

drek
06-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Sick, now if only I had a HD rogers box.

elvis
06-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks for this Wingman - we can only hope you're correct!

prizby
06-26-2009, 09:30 AM
is there a press release that will provide evidence that this is true?

n/m