PDA

View Full Version : why dero never went to europe

Manutd #1
06-24-2009, 08:32 PM
I have always wondered this.. anyone know why Dero has never tested the water in Europe for bigger money and better leagues. My thought is he could have for sure played in at least the chapionship in england even know and he is getting older he is pure quality on for club and country

cy43
06-24-2009, 08:32 PM
He played in Germany for a while I think, but then Frank Yallop brought him back to MLS to play for San Jose...

Someone correct me if I am wrong

shwade
06-24-2009, 08:33 PM
He had a trial with Man City too I believe, but he didn't wanna move his family or something like that.

tfcleeds
06-24-2009, 08:36 PM
He played with Zwickau in Germany for awhile, had a trial with Notts Forest, but they didn't sign him.

Manutd #1
06-24-2009, 08:40 PM
I have just always wondered how he would have done, but then again maybe it was smart to stay here and be a star look at guys like jaime peters who dont even get a shot yet at least and it has hurt his career in terms of getting called up for canada as well

MrHawk
06-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Zwickau is a 5th tiered German team.

Perhaps now after more experience he may crack a Euro roster, but highly unlikely a league like Germany/England/Spain/Italy.

Probably may succeed in a mid-lower tiered league in Europe (Holland, Ukraine, Portugal, Greece)

Ladies Love Julius James
06-24-2009, 08:54 PM
We was always fit to go upper Europe with a mid level team. A Wigan etc, during his prime. He chose to stay home and collect the cheques here.

TFC OZZ
06-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Kevin Keegan tried to bring him to Europe back in the day

gmacpheetfc
06-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Cause he got cut from every single youth he tired out for as a teenager.

ensco
06-24-2009, 09:32 PM
It's not about DeRo per se. It's about the fact that he was a late bloomer, and only became a star around the age of 25.

Good veteran players (ie 25 or older) are more valuable to MLS in MLS, as the transfers paid for this type of player are not Edu-esque, because there is little/no chance of selling the player on to a bigger club. Taylor Twellman now going through the same thing.

Canary Canuck
06-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Dero was part of the reason Keegan left Man City. The board wouldn't support Keegan in signing Dero. Around the same time, Dero was offered a 6 month deal with Blackburn that he turned down because he did not want to uproot his family without a longer term guarantee

James17930
06-24-2009, 10:21 PM
oh well -- he's right where he belongs now :D

C.Ronaldo
06-24-2009, 11:11 PM
he was a late bloomer.

i know of guys that played with him at his level....

his dad was the coach (or something of that sort, this part is just hearsay) and he got the right shots at the right times.....

sometimes, its just circumstance.

great player though. its his determination that really sets him apart, not his talent

Blizzard
06-24-2009, 11:15 PM
He played with Zwickau in Germany for awhile, had a trial with Notts Forest, but they didn't sign him.

He and another Canadian player went to play for Zwickau at the same time. I recall stories about their difficulties dealing with the racism against blacks that existed in the small city in the former East Germany.

C.Ronaldo
06-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Dero's Black?

sarcasm as we all could care less what colour he is

Toronto Ruffrider
06-24-2009, 11:30 PM
^^ I read the same story on the V's board a while back, but I couldn't remember the details. I can't say I blame DeRo for staying clear of that shit.

jloome
06-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Dero was part of the reason Keegan left Man City. The board wouldn't support Keegan in signing Dero. Around the same time, Dero was offered a 6 month deal with Blackburn that he turned down because he did not want to uproot his family without a longer term guarantee

Yeah, this is dead on. I understand that the following season, Mark Hughes tried to bring him to Blackburn on a full contract, but there was serious opposition from the supporter groups, who didn't know/think much of him.

Their loss, DeRo's too, financially. Still, he makes a good coin, and he's never gonna have to pay for a meal in the GTA again.

jloome
06-24-2009, 11:55 PM
He and another Canadian player went to play for Zwickau at the same time. I recall stories about their difficulties dealing with the racism against blacks that existed in the small city in the former East Germany.

I believe it was Serioux, though it might have been Jason Bent.

Jamaicanadian
06-25-2009, 07:03 AM
^^^ It was Jason Bent.

Maple Leaf Red
06-25-2009, 08:23 AM
The coach that brought them over got canned less than a year after they got there and the new guy didn't rate either one.

C.Ronaldo
06-25-2009, 09:08 AM
soccer politics

too bad its here to (seems like the norm at the junior levels).

Probably has a lot to do with only having 3 subs, so not everyone gets a shot to prove themselves

Daddy's kid always gets the first shot