PDA

View Full Version : Harmse traded to Chivas!

Lucky Strike
06-24-2009, 04:38 PM
http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2009/06/24/19432.aspx

Out of left field, isn't it? How can a Canadian want to go back to the U.S.?

Red Skies At Night
06-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Do Chivas have to use a SI spot for Harmse? (there's probably an article I should read but I'm prepping for the game)

NF-FC
06-24-2009, 04:41 PM
so this means we are not losing any players to the Gold Cup (not counting Gerba)

13CP
Wow, thats a shock.

joel
wife/gf was american?

Hitcho
06-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Allocation money received, and a midfield spot opened up.

Enter stage left, JDG... :D:D:D

Hitcho
06-24-2009, 04:43 PM
I know he wasn't starting XI material in our squad, but he was a good utility player and Canadian to boot, plus he always gave maximum effort. So on that basis, this is kind of shitty news.

Nuvinho
06-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...........now who do I make fun of??

The only good thing I liked about Harmse was that he was South African.

cy43
I dunno man, allocation money, roster spots available... something big is happening soon.

13CP
Any ideas of why he wanted to move back to the US?

Dirk Diggler
06-24-2009, 04:46 PM
For a second there I thought the thread title read "Harmse traded for Chivas" ... because honestly he is pretty much worth a single bottle of whiskey. But yeah, this is quite a surprise move ... although I sure as hell hope that there better be a midfielder or two coming in right away ... I'm getting tired of hemorrhaging players (no matter how bad they might be) and not getting anyone to replace them.

Nuvinho
06-24-2009, 04:46 PM
One Canadian out, One more Canadian in??? ;)

Lucky Strike
06-24-2009, 04:47 PM
I know he wasn't starting XI material in our squad, but he was a good utility player and Canadian to boot, plus he always gave maximum effort. So on that basis, this is kind of shitty news.

My thoughts exactly. And he lost the "mental patient" side of his game after coming to Toronto.

TFC RealDeal RPB
06-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Allocation money received, and a midfield spot opened up.

Enter stage left, JDG... :D:D:D

JDG isn't coming to Toronto so forget it :D IMO

peterboroughtfcfan
06-24-2009, 04:48 PM
For a second there I thought the thread title read "Harmse traded for Chivas" ... because honestly he is pretty much worth a single bottle of whiskey. But yeah, this is quite a surprise move ... although I sure as hell hope that there better be a midfielder or two coming in right away ... I'm getting tired of hemorrhaging players (no matter how bad they might be) and not getting anyone to replace them.

This could be the point that Vitti drops back to midfield and starts playing in an appropriate role for him.

Lucky Strike
06-24-2009, 04:49 PM

That's my concern as well. Never mind what anyone thinks of Harmse, one less player on an already slim squad can't really help much, particularly with the two extra games of the CCL (and hopefully more).

pekduck
06-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Any ideas of why he wanted to move back to the US?

his gf told him that he looks bad in pink, harmse promptly obliged...

Lucky Strike
06-24-2009, 04:50 PM
This could be the point that Vitti drops back to midfield and starts playing in an appropriate role for him.

Yeah, especially with Gerba now here, this makes sense.

RicoSuave44
06-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Good luck Harmsey you beach bum. I can already picture him riding the boardwalk on Venice with his beachcruiser ahahahah

Jack
06-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Hmmm...the transfer window is opening soon and we've cleared space on our roster and gained allocation. Something is brewing.

As for Harmse, his girlfriend is in TV and I'm sure a return to the LA area is a good move for her. I mean, it's a nice lifestyle out there, that's for sure.

He did his best for us and I wish him all the best. Good luck to him and to Monica!

prizby
06-24-2009, 04:55 PM
women...the things they do to men

Hitcho
06-24-2009, 04:55 PM
I sure as hell hope that there better be a midfielder or two coming in right away ... I'm getting tired of hemorrhaging players (no matter how bad they might be) and not getting anyone to replace them.

Agree with Lucky Strike on this one. Just wonder if we'll see Jamie Smith signign up now as a wide player (apparently he's not going back to Aberdeen and is moving abroad - see related thread on this), or even that McGlinchey kid, does he play wide too? Add Vitti in there with gerba taking his place up front and the squad suddenly looks a lot more balanced.

Hitcho
06-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Hmmm...the transfer window is opening soon and we've cleared space on our roster and gained allocation. Something is brewing.

Well that would be the natural, sensible conclusion, yes. But in reality it's just Mo jerking our chain and we'll shortly find that the only thing brewing is a lot of pissed off anger from the fans. Again.

That said, I'm still in the hoping bracket of seeing a couple of players brought in, especially since Cummins referred to it in his pre-game presser the other day.

Dirk Diggler
06-24-2009, 05:03 PM
As it stands right now, we are walking on thin ice in terms of roster depth. Unless people are signed immediately, we are absolutely under manned, no doubt about it. Not having a 3rd goalkeeper is probably a risk worth taking in this league but having no depth in defence and midfield for any amount of time is asking for trouble. All it'll take is one twisted ankle on the hard artificial pitch or a reckless MLS tackle from an opposition centre back and we better hope that MLS has an emergency pool for outfield players as well.

Lucky Strike
06-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Well that would be the natural, sensible conclusion, yes. But in reality it's just Mo jerking our chain and we'll shortly find that the only thing brewing is a lot of pissed off anger from the fans. Again.

That said, I'm still in the hoping bracket of seeing a couple of players brought in, especially since Cummins referred to it in his pre-game presser the other day.

Me too, but the fact that Harmse requested a trade from the club could indicate that this isn't a grand plan to bring in someone else like McGlinchey or Smith. Though the press release did say they "tried hard to hang on to him", so maybe it's something they've known for some time. The question is how much time.

TFC USA
06-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Too bad. I'll miss fearing that we'll be down to 10 men for every tackle he makes.

Lucky Strike
06-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Random thought but: couldn't TFC have waited until after the RBNY match to seal the deal so at least he'd be available there? It's probably so he didn't run the risk of injury to screw the deal but, just putting it out there.

Hitcho
06-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Me too, but the fact that Harmse requested a trade from the club could indicate that this isn't a grand plan to bring in someone else like McGlinchey or Smith. Though the press release did say they "tried hard to hang on to him", so maybe it's something they've known for some time. The question is how much time.

Yeah I saw that too, but it could just be a smoke screen. Mo's not an idiot, he's pretty savvy when it comes to trades, so my guess is he's timed the trade to suit his own purposes. Whether that's to maximise what he got for Harmse or to coincide with another player coming in to fill the ropster spot, who knows. But one thing is for sure, Mo is no way gonna get fucked over by a player like Harmse wanting to keep his woman happy. So the longer he's known about it, the more likely it is that Mo has timed this according to his own agenda. IMHO.

Lucky Strike
06-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Yeah I saw that too, but it could just be a smoke screen. Mo's not an idiot, he's pretty savvy when it comes to trades, so my guess is he's timed the trade to suit his own purposes. Whether that's to maximise what he got for Harmse or to coincide with another player coming in to fill the ropster spot, who knows. But one thing is for sure, Mo is no way gonna get fucked over by a player like Harmse wanting to keep his woman happy. So the longer he's known about it, the more likely it is that Mo has timed this according to his own agenda. IMHO.

Seems to make sense. I sure hope this is the case.

poppamidnight
06-24-2009, 05:19 PM

Are you serious???

This is the best news ever... we actually found someone willing to take him on...

His salary was proportionally bad... I wouldh've rather paid the extra $$$ and held a character guy like Sutton than have Harmse on here...

Good Utility player??? Nah, not really,
He's sub-par at every position he plays..
It doesn't mean just because he's played the positions that he's good at em,
he was such a liability....

Free Agents
06-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Trimming the fat. I like.

billyfly
06-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Ask Ageroo - he tells no lies!

Dub Narcotic
06-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Pozniak is unattached. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

TFC FORZA RPB
06-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Thank God

Good Redinse
i mean good luck

ensco
06-24-2009, 05:51 PM

First thought that crossed my mind.

Inklink
06-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Good luck Harmsey. You're a nut but still, good luck :D.

Slightly OT: BTW I don't see Harmse in the NCC CHAMPIONS photo. Did he play that game? Or was he suspended? And Gerba made it into the picture, why couldn't Harmse?

dantdot
06-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Thank God

Good Redinse
i mean good luck

Me fail english?

Good luck Harmsey. You're a nut but still, good luck :D.?

He's a nut, crazier than a coconut.

McGill
06-24-2009, 06:01 PM
I didn't like how he played, he was too over agressive and would force penalties at stupid times in bad locations - I remember him being one of the causes of those major last 5 minute TFC meltdowns last season, so I'm surprised someone actually wanted him.
He was cool because he was Canadian but kept on screwing up too much in my humble opinion.

K1nG
06-24-2009, 06:01 PM
JDG isn't coming to Toronto so forget it :D IMO
you just dont want him to sign because you'll lose $100.00.

felipe
06-24-2009, 06:03 PM
I always hated that guy...

Super Cereal
06-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Damn, I liked Harmsy. Hope he does well for Chivas.

Shakes McQueen
06-24-2009, 07:29 PM
I hope to hell there are players coming in...

Harmse wasn't great, but we can't afford to thin out our roster too much.

- Scott

Nodoubtguy
06-24-2009, 09:02 PM
saw this quote on sportsnet.ca

Kevin requested a move back to the U.S

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/06/24/tfc_trade_harmse/

TFC OZZ
06-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Harmse always got a bad rap for being a poor soccer player here, despite the fact that he was heavily used out of position. When he played DM and wide, I always thought he gave 100% effort and was a decent player.

TFCRegina
06-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Brutal

Inswingingwingman
06-24-2009, 09:17 PM
No Harmse, no foul. LOL

scooter
06-24-2009, 09:26 PM
another part of the mo special plan
pay attention the mo haters because here we go again
a wee scot is on the move again

TorontoBlades
06-24-2009, 10:22 PM
We traded him to Chivas with the understanding that he starts at CB when we play them :)

This is clearing space for Jaime Smith, which is back on

colman1860
06-24-2009, 10:23 PM
Too bad. I'll miss fearing that we'll be down to 10 men for every tackle he makes.

Do you suffer from paranoia away from TFC as well?

1 red card in 1.5 seasons with the club is hardly a bad record.

TFC Cityboy
06-24-2009, 10:23 PM
shit player- won't be missed. Gotta think some big deal is in the works eh

icecoldbeer
06-24-2009, 10:24 PM

+1 haha

gardooney
06-24-2009, 10:30 PM
shit player- won't be missed. Gotta think some big deal is in the works eh

C'mon say what ya really mean ta say.:D

J .
06-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Harmse was a good role player for us. Great utility and a good price for a player. I hope he gets a good shot in Chivas. He is a hardworking player and his detractors were too hard on him and will just turn to another whipping boy.

nimamalek
06-24-2009, 10:34 PM
I always liked Harmse, was nice to have more Canadians on the team. Good luck Harmse!

Lucky Strike
06-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Harmse was a good role player for us. Great utility and a good price for a player. I hope he gets a good shot in Chivas. He is a hardworking player and his detractors were too hard on him and will just turn to another whipping boy.

I dunno, Velez never stopped being the team's goat.

Pachuco
06-24-2009, 10:41 PM
Wasn't too happy to hear this. We are running extremely thin on depth. We reaaally need some players. Hopefully we aren't trading away Harmse to replace him with another international Harmse. what would be the point in that?

Blizzard
06-24-2009, 10:46 PM
women...the things they do to men

She probably makes more money in her career than he does in MLS.

FluSH
06-24-2009, 10:51 PM
wife/gf was american?

This has to be it... he played in L.A. and CHIVAS = L.A.

twistedchinaman
06-24-2009, 10:57 PM
When it comes to Harmse, I say in the immortal words of the Boy Rooney, "Get me the tank!" -- and I don't mean it in the about-to-pass-out-from-laughter type!

Let's hope this means we have cap room to plug up any and all remaining holes.

rocker
06-24-2009, 11:03 PM
harmse? I don't care. didn't contribute a helluva lot. a space filler.

twistedchinaman
06-24-2009, 11:09 PM
harmse? I don't care. didn't contribute a helluva lot. a space filler.

Emphatically +1'd!

dupont
06-24-2009, 11:57 PM
YES! good riddance! get the fuck to shitty LA!

Darlofletch
06-25-2009, 12:09 AM
Again , much like Ricketts, I'd say, ok, this doesn't bother me too much, but I hope we can get someone else in to take up his spot. we seem to be getting rid of a lot of the players who weren't really good enough to be getting in the first team regularly, which isn't a bad thing. If we can replace them with better players, then well done Mo. Hopefully that will happen.

grizzle
06-25-2009, 01:08 AM
I also think this is a good move. Opens a spot for someone better.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-25-2009, 01:11 AM
hopefully theres someone better coming.
im getting very nervous with all these players leaving and noone coming in.

Shakes McQueen
06-25-2009, 02:43 AM
There has to be something in the works. There is no point in freeing up salary and allocation, if you don't plan to bring in talent during the transfer window.

- Scott

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-25-2009, 02:46 AM
MLSR is reporting that Jamie Smith is a done deal.

Brooker
06-25-2009, 06:25 AM
MLSR is reporting that Jamie Smith is a done deal.

:hump::hump::hump::hump::hump::hump::hump:

Oldtimer
06-25-2009, 07:21 AM

I would bring in Poz, the ultimate utility player. He could do everything that Harmse could do, and more, and better, for less $$$.

London
06-25-2009, 08:35 AM
i might be wrong, but is the worst thing about losing harmse is,

he had a super hott girlfriend!!!

Ageroo
06-25-2009, 08:38 AM
There has to be something in the works. There is no point in freeing up salary and allocation, if you don't plan to bring in talent during the transfer window.

- Scott

Probably something in the works, but from what I hear Harmse wanted to be moved. I don't think TFC really wanted to move him.

rocker
06-25-2009, 09:12 AM
i might be wrong, but is the worst thing about losing harmse is,

he had a super hott girlfriend!!!

please post pics.. thanks

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-25-2009, 10:21 AM
He was a utility player, he put in some good performances but the flaws in his game were obvious. Good luck to him at Chivas...

boomcha
06-25-2009, 11:11 AM
Good news. We don't have to see him standing around watching the game while on the field.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-25-2009, 11:23 AM
http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2009/06/24/19432.aspx

Out of left field, isn't it? How can a Canadian want to go back to the U.S.?

the amount of abuse he took from the supporters end might have something to do with it...too bad too as he was a good player.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-25-2009, 11:25 AM
^except not really. He was adequate. If this helps us bring in someone better then I'm all for it.

Roogsy
06-25-2009, 11:35 AM
I spoke with Kevin at the beginning of the season and he seemed happy here but I know he was dealing with immigration issues for his girlfriend.

If I put 2 and 2 together, my guess is that those issues didn't really work out, or she didn't want to stay and that is what caused him to move back. My guess is the immigration issues because a request to move to the US could've meant winding up almost anywhere, not necessarily LA again.

rocker
06-25-2009, 11:54 AM
I spoke with Kevin at the beginning of the season

did you snap a pic of his girlfriend? I need to judge whether this was a good move for him ;)

cincy
06-25-2009, 12:02 PM
this thread is useless without pics

Roogsy
06-25-2009, 12:02 PM
did you snap a pic of his girlfriend? I need to judge whether this was a good move for him ;)

She wasn't here yet...which I believe was part of the problem.

I hear she is hot...never had a chance to meet her. Damn it!

Jack
06-25-2009, 12:09 PM
I've met her.

She interviewed me. She's very nice and she has posted on the boards here in the past.

Probably not a good idea to be talking about her like an object.

http://notable.tv/tfc.php

rocker
06-25-2009, 12:11 PM
I've met her.

She interviewed me. She's very nice and she has posted on the boards here in the past.

we talk about Kevin Harmse like an object, so what's the diff? ;)

Roogsy
06-25-2009, 12:15 PM
I've met her.

With the amount of criticism Harmse got on this board, wouldn't surprise me if she is long gone by now!

Detroit_TFC
06-25-2009, 12:46 PM
I don't disagree that Harmse had some good plays but all I can remember are the ugly ones. Conversely, Wynne's had some howling bad plays but I mainly remember the good ones. Football is not fair.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-25-2009, 12:50 PM
I think it's fair to say, though, that Wynne can make much more of an impact than Harmse.

Roogsy
06-25-2009, 12:58 PM
I think it's fair to say, though, that Wynne can make much more of an impact than Harmse.

I agree.

How about in situations where we'd insert Harmse, we have the option of having both Wynne AND Nana on the pitch? Awesome.