PDA

View Full Version : No Harme(s) done??? I think not...take him off!!!

juve76
06-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Am I the only one in the stadium that think Harmes should not be anywhere near the playing field? Ever touch goes to the opposition, and he's always out of position....looks lost.
I mean, is there really no other player on the bench that they can replace him with?????get him off!!!

Fort York Redcoat
06-24-2009, 10:35 AM
No you're clearly not the only one but he did a job last game bombing down the wing and tried his ass off. If he puts in another effort like that I forgive him an a game by game basis.

GingerNinja
06-24-2009, 10:35 AM
:fluffy:

Miko
06-24-2009, 10:37 AM
No you're clearly not the only one but he did a job last game bombing down the wing and tried his ass off. If he puts in another effort like that I forgive him an a game by game basis.

Completely agree.

He looked out of position previously because he was! He's not a defender, even Cummings admitted that.

Looked way better on the wing and with Ricketts gone, he may get more of a chance to show it.

juve76
06-24-2009, 10:38 AM
I agree, he does often hustle more than some of the guys out there at times, but it just seems like he commits more errors than many other Reds, and in a game of "least mistakes" a player posing a gaping hole in the middle and middle-back position can be costly at the worst times

trane
06-24-2009, 10:38 AM
He had looked good in the mid in the past couple of games. He is a good back up for a DM or Winger spots. However, NEVER EVER EVER EVER AT CB. please.

felipe
06-24-2009, 10:43 AM
I think Harmse is quite clearly our best player and should be given DP money. I got no clue what you're on about. Obviously, you have never watched a game. When he retires he should be made manager and general manager. When he is done with football he should be prime minister. And then go on to run the United Nations. And then become a bigger film star than Vinnie Jones. He will be the next James Bond - only for real. Kevin has a top class brain and magnetic personality - we should be paying $200 each to watch him every night - not sodding Real Madrid. There will become 'The church of Harmse' where we will ultimatley sacrifice the unbelievers like you.

juve76
06-24-2009, 10:46 AM
I think that no matter where Harmes is on the field, he is a liability. Sure, he can have a good run or two on the wing, crossing it to create a chance (not often, but anyway) but that hardly makes up for a general lack of skill that often plagues him...watch when he has the ball, it looks like he panics and tries to get rid of it...that may be fine with Cummin's style of kick and chase, but won't help the team at large

Bloor West FC
06-24-2009, 10:49 AM
:scarf::drinking:

Fort York Redcoat
06-24-2009, 10:50 AM
He looked better in the last game than I've ever seen him. I don't see why now is when you want to cut the chord.

Fort York Redcoat
06-24-2009, 10:53 AM
I think Harmse is quite clearly our best player and should be given DP money. I got no clue what you're on about. Obviously, you have never watched a game. When he retires he should be made manager and general manager. When he is done with football he should be prime minister. And then go on to run the United Nations. And then become a bigger film star than Vinnie Jones. He will be the next James Bond - only for real. Kevin has a top class brain and magnetic personality - we should be paying $200 each to watch him every night - not sodding Real Madrid. There will become 'The church of Harmse' where we will ultimatley sacrifice the unbelievers like you.

You're getting a pink Harmse jersey for your birthday. You can hide it under your altarboy robe at the church of Harmse. Make sure you make it to Columbus to see him play for Canada in the Gold Cup!

jloome
06-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Harmse contributed a lot in that last game and is vastly underrated on these boards by people who frankly have no fucking clue what they're talking about.

You don't always have to be the most technically gifted to contribute; and even on that front, he's better than people give him credit for. As a midfielder, it's obvious his positioning is very good, his passing is at least average, his ball control (as displayed on the wing against New York) is pretty good.

He's just too aggressive at times and lacks grace, so people think he's a clod. Me? I'll side by the professionals who keep picking him and the national team coach who keeps calling him up. There are other options, you know.

RedsYNWA
06-24-2009, 10:56 AM

ALL HAIL THE CHURCH OF HARMSE:drum:

boban
06-24-2009, 10:59 AM
I agree, he does often hustle more than some of the guys out there at times, but it just seems like he commits more errors than many other Reds, and in a game of "least mistakes" a player posing a gaping hole in the middle and middle-back position can be costly at the worst times
You mean like the error when he scored our only goal in the VC last month against Vancouver here??

Yohan
06-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Harmse contributed a lot in that last game and is vastly underrated on these boards by people who frankly have no fucking clue what they're talking about.

You don't always have to be the most technically gifted to contribute; and even on that front, he's better than people give him credit for. As a midfielder, it's obvious his positioning is very good, his passing is at least average, his ball control (as displayed on the wing against New York) is pretty good.

He's just too aggressive at times and lacks grace, so people think he's a clod. Me? I'll side by the professionals who keep picking him and the national team coach who keeps calling him up. There are other options, you know.
You need a grinder like Harmse on your team. Same reason why Gattuso plays for AC Milan

Harmse is ok, when given specific role to play and not overreach beyond his abilities (IE put him in CB)

juve76
06-24-2009, 11:08 AM
uhm, ok...does that 1 goal make up for the goals that have come from him not marking his man? or a pass directly to an on-coming forward, that eventually lead to a goal against TFC? or whole comedey of errors which is his playing style...hey, nothing against him, its not his fault, i blame the coach who thinks he's anything more than a reserves-substitute

sulfur
06-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Again. Not a CB.

boban
06-24-2009, 11:11 AM
uhm, ok...does that 1 goal make up for the goals that have come from him not marking his man? or a pass directly to an on-coming forward, that eventually lead to a goal against TFC? or whole comedey of errors which is his playing style...hey, nothing against him, its not his fault, i blame the coach who thinks he's anything more than a reserves-substitute
No, but without that goal an we are out of the CCL.
You makeit sound like no one else has made a pass to a wrong player or not made any mistake. This is the MLS buddy. Accept some flaws. And in that light Harmse is not at all bad. He contributes and shows some fight.

juve76
06-24-2009, 11:14 AM
come on, we are talking about Harmes, right? look, "average passing" doesn't win you games, "pretty good" bad ball control doesn't win you games, i'll give you that "grace" doesn't win you games. I think as TFC fans, we have to be careful in being satisfyed with "average". and Harmes (which I'm sure he's a nice guy and all) is well below average.
oh and as for the "professionals" choosing him for the National Team? have you seen Canada play recently?

jloome
06-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Juve76, in the real world, teams need averge players who just quietly contribute. You can't get a team full of stars, and, human nature being what it is, on the odd occasion that you do, you generally see "Galacticos" style meltdowns of clashing egos and monstrous self-interest.

And beyond that, the contention that he's unskilled is just horseshit.

juve76
06-24-2009, 11:22 AM
You're right, we don't have a team of allstars, but seriously, I find it very hard to believe that there is no one else on the bench that comes close to competing with Harmes for a starting spot...why do you think is doesn't consistently start? because Cummins doesnt know (a) what to do, and (b) what to do with Harmes...

Pachuco
06-24-2009, 11:24 AM
I personally think he's a decent midfielder and he's worth the money as long as he doesn't step anywhere near the defense.

Yohan
06-24-2009, 11:24 AM
You're right, we don't have a team of allstars, but seriously, I find it very hard to believe that there is no one else on the bench that comes close to competing with Harmes for a starting spot...why do you think is doesn't consistently start? because Cummins doesnt know (a) what to do, and (b) what to do with Harmes...
there is no one really on the bench who can be the utility player like harmse is.

he's playing the role pozniak played in year 1

plus harmse is a serviceable defensive midfielder which no one else on the squad can play coming off the bench

Fort York Redcoat
06-24-2009, 11:28 AM
so you want to go with an unknown vs Harmse who's playing at his best. You had the right idea for most of the season but now not the brightest idea. Don't worry, if he's back to poor form this game you'll have the opportunity to look stellar to all us bleeding hearts.

Sláinte TFC
06-24-2009, 11:32 AM
In a salary cap world, especially a miniscule one like that of the MLS there will always be jobs for players like Harmes. Cheap and effective when used properly.

sulfur
06-24-2009, 11:32 AM
As an aside... HARMSE != HARMES.

Not sure who this "Harmes" guy is :)

juve76
06-24-2009, 11:33 AM
wow, Harmes playing at his best, thats not saying much. its not about being being right or wrong, its about talking about our team and what should happen for it to improve. if he has glimpes of skill, that's great, but if i see something shiny in a turd, that doesn't mean I still won't flush.....

Yohan
06-24-2009, 11:41 AM
wow, Harmes playing at his best, thats not saying much. its not about being being right or wrong, its about talking about our team and what should happen for it to improve. if he has glimpes of skill, that's great, but if i see something shiny in a turd, that doesn't mean I still won't flush.....
ok Mr GM

you find me a player at 70k per year, utility player and a Canadian willing to play for TFC

why a canadian player? because otherwise you'd have to waste an international spot on an utility player

Sláinte TFC
06-24-2009, 11:43 AM

I dunno, myself, I think I would investigate further...

Steve
06-24-2009, 11:47 AM

Ok, I think I get your point.

1) Carver thought Harmse good enough to play a utility role on the team

2) Cummings thinks Harmse is good enough to play a utility role on the team

3) Hart thinks Harmse is good enough to play a utility role on TFC

4) The majority of this board (at least in this thread) thinks Harmse is good enough to play a utility role on our team

5) Juve76 thinks Harmse is the worst player ever to play. Using such persuasive arguments as comparing him to a turd.

So.... I'm convinced. How could I have been so blind?

juve76
06-24-2009, 12:03 PM
hey guys, ofcourse he's not a turd...shall i explain metaphorical verbage?
all i am saying is that what people have to understand is that 1 goal does not a player make...but if you look at every touch Harmes makes, it turns into a mistake...that is all that I am saying. and if 9 out of 10 of every touch of the ball goes either out of bounds or to the opposing team, then where is the quality? "a good run", a "gritty player", a "utility player" is great for hockey, but this is soccer.
Yohan: you mean to tell me there is no one on the bench at all that deserves a shot in place of Harmes? just give someone else a shot, thats all that I am saying

Fort York Redcoat
06-24-2009, 12:13 PM
^And all I'm saying that you should wait for a bad game. His present form is contributing. It's just a bad time to bench him.

Yohan
06-24-2009, 12:14 PM
all i am saying is that what people have to understand is that 1 goal does not a player make...but if you look at every touch Harmes makes, it turns into a mistake...that is all that I am saying. and if 9 out of 10 of every touch of the ball goes either out of bounds or to the opposing team, then where is the quality? "a good run", a "gritty player", a "utility player" is great for hockey, but this is soccer.
When you have limited number of roster spots, yes, you need those utility players who can play multiple positions. It's just fact of life in MLS

Yohan: you mean to tell me there is no one on the bench at all that deserves a shot in place of Harmes? just give someone else a shot, thats all that I am saying
better question is who else can play in Harmse's role? Ibby? He's a striker. Gala? left side winger. Who else is left?

Broadview
06-24-2009, 12:15 PM

Well he beat out Hemming, Rosenlund and Melo among others in fulfilling a Pozniak type role. People who have made professional soccer their life's work see something in him that you don't, Juve. Go figure.

Kind of annoying when people start negative threads harping on a player whose last game was pretty good.

We just won a trophy, enjoy yourself a little.

juve76
06-24-2009, 12:17 PM
hey if he contributes by not getting the ball and simply drawing defenders away to create space for the rest of the team, then he should continue to help the team in this capacity...bad time to bench him? what did carver know that cummins doesn't?

felipe
06-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Mr. Harmse is very disapointed in you juve76...he has evaluated your writings and found you wanting...

He has decided you do not warrant a place in the red patch boys exclusive forums as a starter poster, and not even in the registered users forums as a backup poster.

Unfortunatley, it appears you will be waived outright.

I'm sorry your time as a TFC supporter has come to an end, if only you had done better with the ample chances you were given to root root root for the home team...

The Church of Harmse will pray for your TFCless soul...

Cambridge_Red
06-24-2009, 03:06 PM
When you have limited number of roster spots, yes, you need those utility players who can play multiple positions. It's just fact of life in MLS

better question is who else can play in Harmse's role? Ibby? He's a striker. Gala? left side winger. Who else is left?

Sam Cronin, it's his natural position. But anyways I think Harmse is doing an alright job lately hes converted me, I still think hes a douche as a human being though.

Red Skies At Night
06-24-2009, 03:33 PM
but if you look at every touch Harmes makes, it turns into a mistake...that is all that I am saying.

Well if that's all your saying unfortunately you are factually wrong. Try not using hyperbole when making your case, it will give it more credibility.

jloome
06-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Ok, I think I get your point.

1) Carver thought Harmse good enough to play a utility role on the team

2) Cummings thinks Harmse is good enough to play a utility role on the team

3) Hart thinks Harmse is good enough to play a utility role on TFC

4) The majority of this board (at least in this thread) thinks Harmse is good enough to play a utility role on our team

5) Juve76 thinks Harmse is the worst player ever to play. Using such persuasive arguments as comparing him to a turd.

So.... I'm convinced. How could I have been so blind?

Hey! None of that rational linear thinking around here, you!

kodiakTFC
06-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Harmse was incredible against NYRB last time around, give him some slack.

jloome
06-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Verbiage. Verbage would be "hey, he turded on my grammar!"

all i am saying is that what people have to understand is that 1 goal does not a player make... but if you look at every touch Harmes makes, it turns into a mistake...that is all that I am saying. and if 9 out of 10 of every touch of the ball goes either out of bounds or to the opposing team

Ookay, now outside of the fact that "every" touch can 't be an "it"; and outside of the fact that "9 our of 10 of every touch of the ball" would mean, like nine-tenths of the contact point between his foot and the ball;
and forgiving the fact that it's nonsensical....sorry, what was your point again?

then where is the quality? "a good run", a "gritty player", a "utility player" is great for hockey, but this is soccer."

Being a good runner is good for hockey? Finally, something explains the leafs. And yes, you're obviously right, no one wants good runners with grit and utilitarian skills. Genius.

Yeah, Yohan, ya tool. I knew you were behind this global conspiracy to brainwash footie fans into thinking Kevin Harmse is a competent midfielder. Who are you holding back from us Yohan? Huh? Huh?!?

joel
06-24-2009, 03:56 PM
He played great last game against NYRB on the wing. Easy on the crack. So far he plays better when he is not in charge of making tackles and defending, where his aggressive play can get him into trouble. Aggressive on the wing is a good thing.

mike
06-24-2009, 04:45 PM
well timed thread!

Lucky Strike
06-24-2009, 04:51 PM
^Indeed. http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=14878

Dirk Diggler
06-24-2009, 04:51 PM
well timed thread!

LOL I wonder if juve76 is Mo in disguise ... coming to start this thread just so he can make a case for trading Harmse before letting the news out.

Hitcho
06-24-2009, 04:53 PM
He probably left ebcause no-one on here could spell his fucking name correctly!

H-A-R-M-S-E people, not Har-mees!

jabbronies
06-24-2009, 05:06 PM
way to go juve76....now he's gone because of this thread

jaahuuu
06-25-2009, 08:46 AM
He probably left ebcause no-one on here could spell his fucking name correctly!

H-A-R-M-S-E people, not Har-mees!
Maybe it was because nobody could pronouce it right.

Harms-uh, not Harms.

juve76
06-25-2009, 08:47 AM
Verbiage. Verbage would be "hey, he turded on my grammar!"

Ookay, now outside of the fact that "every" touch can 't be an "it"; and outside of the fact that "9 our of 10 of every touch of the ball" would mean, like nine-tenths of the contact point between his foot and the ball;
and forgiving the fact that it's nonsensical....sorry, what was your point again?

Being a good runner is good for hockey? Finally, something explains the leafs. And yes, you're obviously right, no one wants good runners with grit and utilitarian skills. Genius.

Yeah, Yohan, ya tool. I knew you were behind this global conspiracy to brainwash footie fans into thinking Kevin Harmse is a competent midfielder. Who are you holding back from us Yohan? Huh? Huh?!?

Honestly. I am sure you are among those who still chant for Tie Domi at Leafs games. Just because I think a player is garbage, doesn’t mean I am less of a fan.

Its nice that you show up to games with their fake British accents to cheer on our Reds, but I am starting to think that you have no clue about the game except for what you read in the Toronto Star during your woodworking classes.

I am sure that if fans like you had your way, we would still have Andy Welsh running the hundred metre dash down the sidelines.

Go Reds!!

ua-kozak_TFC
06-25-2009, 09:01 AM
You need a grinder like Harmse on your team. Same reason why Gattuso plays for AC Milan

Harmse is ok, when given specific role to play and not overreach beyond his abilities (IE put him in CB)
hahahaha you make me laugh not that it matters at this point since he is already out of the squad... but Harmse a grinder!?!?!?! lol that's a funny one... commeting dumb fauls and being a grinder are 2 different things... I think materatzi would be a better description... without the ability to get into the opponents mind and take him out of the game

Phil
06-25-2009, 10:35 AM
I guess we are done with being talked down to in this thread for having some degree of support for a guy who had a good game or two for us in an underapriciated role.

By far not my favorite player but the continual pile on is silly.

Continue your comments and discussion here:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=14878