PDA

View Full Version : 3 Games 1 Week... twice

kodiakTFC
06-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Week In July
07/22 - Wednesday River Plate * 7:30 p.m.
07/25 - Saturday at Columbus Crew 7:30 p.m.
07/29 - Wednesday Puerto Rico 8 p.m.
** All-star game is the 29th as well, so presumably/hopefully there will be no TFC players in the game!!

Week in August
08/01 - Saturday at New England Revolution 7:30 p.m.
08/04 - Tuesday at Puerto Rico 8 p.m.
08/07 - Friday Real Madrid ^ 7:30 p.m.

Great job FO!

/sarcasm

http://web.mlsnet.com/schedule/scoreboard/season.jsp?team=t280
http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/06/report-concacaf-champions-league.html
http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.aspx?id=4790

Toronto_Bhoy
06-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Yep. I was looking at this last night.

We play Houston on July 18…how much sense would it be to rest up for the Crew match?

Not much apparently…

ensco
06-23-2009, 07:19 PM
I wish we understood this stuff better.

Let's accept that the summer friendlies are vitally important in MLS (I know many don't, including me, but bear with me)

Given that, wouldn't a team want to have a two week hole in their schedule.....when the friendlies occur each year? As opposed to early July, like we do?

Phil
06-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Well they have been doing it since preseason so hopefully they weather it well.

The Real Madrid game will probably have a lot of reserves and a lot of subs. I don't think there will be too much worry about the All star game.

James Oliphant
06-23-2009, 07:22 PM
The Real Madrid game will probably have a lot of reserves and a lot of subs.

Ditto the River friendly.

ensco
06-23-2009, 07:23 PM
The odds that we give maximum effort in that NE game, are not good. We'll be playing for the draw from the opening whistle, I'll wager.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-23-2009, 07:28 PM
I wish we understood this stuff better.

Let's accept that the summer friendlies are vitally important in MLS (I know many don't, including me, but bear with me)

Given that, wouldn't a team want to have a two week hole in their schedule.....when the friendlies occur each year? As opposed to early July, like we do?

like the friendlies, the timmg stinks and the big pile up of games in apr and may with little in July and augest is mad...the best weather months and
we are barely at home?

rocker
06-23-2009, 07:28 PM
if we beat Puerto Rico, we're gonna have more of this... so get used to it.

I'm actually glad they have a 2 week break now, cuz we just finished a massive stretch of games.
Serioux looks beat up.

Inklink
06-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Serioux looks beat up.

Honestly, Serioux looks like he just walked between two armies in trenches firing at each other. And he looks like that in the 2nd minute and in the 92nd minute, as one of the TFC commentators mentioned.

Broadview
06-23-2009, 07:48 PM
If we get a five minute sub in the ASG, then I'm happy with that. None at all would be even better.

rocker
06-23-2009, 07:53 PM
i don't really care if TFC plays subs mostly in the friendlies. People are there to see the other side, particularly in the case of Madrid. Tell the starters to run out for a bit and then do some wholesale changes... give the subs some time. for example, Edwards needs a goddamn game!
use these as reserve games since the reserve league is dead.

Fort York Redcoat
06-24-2009, 06:58 AM
i don't really care if TFC plays subs mostly in the friendlies. People are there to see the other side, particularly in the case of Madrid. Tell the starters to run out for a bit and then do some wholesale changes... give the subs some time. for example, Edwards needs a goddamn game!
use these as reserve games since the reserve league is dead.

Agreed Rocker. Our first XI are warmed up for the season and the bench are hungry. Give them a chance.

Miko
06-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Isn't the PR game on the 28th?

prizby
06-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Isn't the PR game on the 28th?

on the concacaf website it apparently is listed on the 29th

Derko
06-24-2009, 09:06 AM
Agreed Rocker. Our first XI are warmed up for the season and the bench are hungry. Give them a chance.

Agreed and I think that will be the case, if management is smart, and I think they are!!

:scarf: :drinking:

deltox
06-24-2009, 09:44 AM
if we have players selected for the ASG and that is the same day as the PRI game (or a day before or after), can a player turn down the ASG so they can play in the Concacaf game instead?

stugautz
06-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Really it's 6 games in 17 days.

peterboroughtfcfan
06-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Really it's 6 games in 17 days.

I'd be more concerned about this if I hadn't witnessed what the L'impact did last year. I think they had a far more difficult schedule than this and they seemed to get better and better the more soccer they played.

I don't buy the arguement that fatigue plays such a giant role - these guys are professionals...they train year round to be able to play 60-75 mins a match and then have a couple days off before they do it again.

Look at it this way - if Michael Phelps can do what he did (winning 8 gold medals over the course of 6 days - swimming 3-4 times each day) then we should be able to play a few matches within a couple days of one another.