PDA

View Full Version : The Pink Jersey...!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Carts
06-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Well, we wearing them tomorrow...

To launch our campaign in support of the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation, the team will be wearing a new third jersey for the match against the Red Bulls tomorrow! The boys will be decked out in a pink jersey for the game and they will also wear it against San Jose on October 10th.

http://a1253.g.akamai.net/f/1253/1122/1d/graphics.sdm3.com/MapleLeaf//uploads//TorontoFC/Jimmy%20and%20Carl%20pink%20jersey.JPG

Carts...

GhostPK
06-23-2009, 03:16 PM
cool...

DangerRed
06-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Big ups to the boys for this. Great cause. GO REDS!!

Jay P
06-23-2009, 03:17 PM
its now in stock on the adidas employee page.... i knew something was up haha

Ladies Love Julius James
06-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Urgh. Nasty.

TFC07
Does anybody still have a picture of pink kit?

Anyway, it is cool that TFC are doing this.

Carts
http://a1253.g.akamai.net/f/1253/1122/1d/graphics.sdm3.com/MapleLeaf//uploads//TorontoFC/Jimmy%20and%20Carl%20pink%20jersey.JPG

Carts
06-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Great cause yes.

Wearing Pink during our first (home) trophy celebration - terrible.

And its Pride week in Toronto (not that's there's anything wrong with that) - I'm sure the NYRB boards will have a hay-day with this...

Carts...

Yohan
06-23-2009, 03:22 PM
oh god.

i'm going to throw up

as much as it's cool to support a cause, but can't they show it in some other way?

we're going to be the laughingstock of MLS :(

Rudi
06-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Great cause yes.

And its Pride week in Toronto (not that's there's anything wrong with that) - I'm sure the NYRB boards will have a hay-day with this...

Carts...
It was Pride Week last week, no?

Regardless, the NYRB boards will have a hay day after we beat their asses again, so no worries.

Parkdale
06-23-2009, 03:25 PM
oh boy.....

they win ONE trophy and now they try to pull this?

I just hope this event was set on a flexible schedule.
If we didn't have the trophy from montreal, I could see
a lot of people getting really pissed over this.

I like the idea of supporting the charity, but do it with
a pink armband, or pink socks. Don't mess with the kit.

lintberg
Great cause!! Go Boys!!
Just think how great it'll be when we beat the NY SHITE bulls wearing pink...no less....LOL!!!

BakaGaijin
Yuck. Those jersey's are fugly.

BuSaPuNk
oh god.

i'm going to throw up

as much as it's cool to support a cause, but can't they show it in some other way?

we're going to be the laughingstock of MLS :(

Yeah it's too bad too. Everyone just going to laugh at the jersey's and not understand the cause. Sad and kind of ignorant to laugh about a cause such as this. Oh well would we expect any different?

zeelaw
06-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Good on ya boys.

Parkdale
06-23-2009, 03:30 PM
it could always be worse....

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00830/Newcastle_kit_280x3_830386a.jpg

flatpicker
06-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Do you think folks will bust out a chant of "Come on you Pinks!" ?
- that just sounds dirty!

The cause it great... pink armbands might have been better... but I suppose the full kit achieves maximum exposure.
So, good for them... they better win!

TOBOR !
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00830/Newcastle_kit_280x3_830386a.jpg
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !

The Kingpin
Believe it or not - I'm not too bothered by this. And I'm even less bothered by any animosity or vitriol shown against this via internet warriors and the like. A football team is for the community, and this disease affects so many in that community.

Now that I think of it, it's a great idea! Top flight exposure! If I'm to see one possible negative - if they start selling these in the club shop to get women in pink shirts. Then I would raise my typical stink.

I think it's pretty tough to lament the fact that your local club is contributing to a proper cause - is it purely altruistic, of course not, but I think it's a great time to do this.

TOBOR !
06-23-2009, 03:34 PM
most likely what they'd do is wear the pink during the pregame warmup, like the Leafs did with the Ace Bailey tribute last season, and then play the game in their red kit.

TFC Via Buffalo
06-23-2009, 03:36 PM
I think it's great regardless, but I gotta agree with Carts. Any other game but the trophy presentation day. Or wear all pink except the kits. MLB does the pink bats, NHL does the pink sticks, NFL has helmet patches. Very classy move, though.

Miko
06-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Now that I think of it, it's a great idea! Top flight exposure! If I'm to see one possible negative - if they start selling these in the club shop to get women in pink shirts. Then I would raise my typical stink.

according to the press release they are on sale starting tomorrow qith 10% of all proceeds going to the Cancer Society

Esquire

Completely Agree...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_g-Ylxb54NUc/RlGRTtvQdMI/AAAAAAAAAok/N7bOnaptG2Y/s320/Red+Bull+New+York+2007Home.png

kodiakTFC
Coooooooooooooooome onnnnnnnnn yooooooooooooou PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINKKS!!!!!!!!

jabbronies
06-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Believe it or not - I'm not too bothered by this. And I'm even less bothered by any animosity or vitriol shown against this via internet warriors and the like. A football team is for the community, and this disease affects so many in that community.

I think it's pretty tough to lament the fact that your local club is contributing to a proper cause - is it purely altruistic, of course not, but I think it's a great time to do this.

Agreed! Although I thought they already sold the pink womens jersey last year??

olegunnar
06-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Cash grab

How much will the pink jersey cost? 130 bucks? 10% to charity...or $13....so what of the remaining $117? I dunno maybe 2$ for the Vietnamese guy that made it...$15 for shipping...and $100 for MLSE.

The cause is a great one...no need to screw around with the jersey though.

BuSaPuNk
06-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Agreed! Although I thought they already sold the pink womens jersey last year??

Yeah there was. I bought one for my gf. They were available last year as well and they didn't do anything for it last year. Wonder why they are doing it this year?

olegunnar
06-23-2009, 03:41 PM

They are
from the e-mail:
10 % of all monies raised from the sale of all pink jerseys at CentreSports and BMO Field will be donated to CBCF. CentreSports is located inside the Air Canada Centre beside Gate 1.

Parkdale
06-23-2009, 03:42 PM
If I'm to see one possible negative - if they start selling these in the club shop to get women in pink shirts. Then I would raise my typical stink.

they sold them last season. It's not unusual to see at least one or two women wearing them at BMO on a game day. Most of the angry internet comments you'll see are leftovers from when they first came out, without much of a push for cancer fundraising - they just kind of showed up on the scene and caught people off guard.

commence stink raising!

AL-MO
06-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Terrible.

Parkdale
06-23-2009, 03:43 PM
looking closer..... these ones have some extra text on the right chest that probably explains the charity initiative.

the ones for sale in the past had no mention of that. They were just pink (and in ladies / girls sizes only)

The Kingpin
06-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Cash grab

How much will the pink jersey cost? 130 bucks? 10% to charity...or $13....so what of the remaining $117? I dunno maybe 2$ for the Vietnamese guy that made it...$15 for shipping...and $100 for MLSE.

I agree with this if they are selling them in the club shop. If they are, they should be embarrassed. I was under the impression that they would sell/auction off the player worn jerseys for charity. If they start profiting off cancer - I will be tempted to spit in any MLSE face I see on the street.

Imagine all those pink shirts in the stands......... Oh boy. Just when I was all positive....

Carts
06-23-2009, 03:45 PM
My pet-peeve with this…

Toronto FC appeals to predominantly male audience. Why not do something to raise awareness & funds for prostate cancer…???

Wear the regular jersey with a special blue symbol instead of the MLS logo, or even wear the BMO blue (I believe that’s the colour they use for awareness) and raise money and awareness for prostate cancer… To me this seems like MLSE jumping on the NHL (pink sticks) and other pro-sports coattails using the ‘pink’ symbol…

Let’s face it, as us guys get older we’re supposed to be tested regularly, but its known that a very large percentage of men doesn’t – as we try to avoid the finger in the backdoor & around the corner check up. Instead, most men rely on blood work to find abnormalities in hormone levels, even though that detects prostate cancer much, much later…

I think raising awareness and funds for a different good cause, one that affects their fan base just as much as breast cancer that other sports haven’t done would be better (I say just as much because even though the male audience may not develop breast cancer as much - wives, daughters, mothers do)…

Why break new ground? Instead of following the “big boys”…

AND, it would avoid a pink jersey (which girls are going to buy and wear b/c its different)…

After, the jersey's would be auctioned off at charity events...

Carts...

Parkdale
06-23-2009, 03:47 PM
good call Carts.

that makes very good sense.

Raging Reggie
06-23-2009, 03:50 PM
http://www.mediabistro.com/agencyspy/original/perez-hilton.jpg

Rudi
06-23-2009, 03:51 PM
I believe the game-worn jerseys will indeed be auctioned off for charity at a later date, but that doesn't make the jerseys themselves less barf-worthy.

The Kingpin
06-23-2009, 03:51 PM
My pet-peeve with this…

Toronto FC appeals to predominantly male audience. Why not do something to raise awareness & funds for prostate cancer…???

Wear the regular jersey with a special blue symbol instead of the MLS logo, or even wear the BMO blue (I believe that’s the colour they use for awareness) and raise money and awareness for prostate cancer… To me this seems like MLSE jumping on the NHL (pink sticks) and other pro-sports coattails using the ‘pink’ symbol…

Let’s face it, as us guys get older we’re supposed to be tested regularly, but its known that a very large percentage of men doesn’t – as we try to avoid the finger in the backdoor & around the corner check up. Instead, most men rely on blood work to find abnormalities in hormone levels, even though that detects prostate cancer much, much later…

I think raising awareness and funds for a different good cause, one that affects their fan base just as much as breast cancer that other sports haven’t done would be better (I say just as much because even though the male audience may not develop breast cancer as much - wives, daughters, mothers do)…

Why break new ground? Instead of following the “big boys”…

AND, it would avoid a pink jersey (which girls are going to buy and wear b/c its different)…

After, the jersey's would be auctioned off at charity events...

Carts...

All great points - very astute. That's why it wasn't done. I'm tired of flying off the handle over this crap. Paul, Cesar et al have proven that generally they are lacking in class and not worthy of my acute attention any more. I realise that long conversation I had with Paul was sheer rhetoric - he is not an honest individual as far as I'm concerned. It's too bad - but they may have finally beaten me. You'd think I'd have learned from their handling of other organisations... Damn MBA disease is ruining sport.

jabbronies
06-23-2009, 03:52 PM
What colour jersey do you want?

Prostate cancer seems to be two shades of blue:
http://www.prostatecancer.ca/About-Us.aspx (http://www.prostatecancer.ca/About-Us.aspx)

Colorectal Cancer is Purple:
http://www.colorectal-cancer.ca/ (http://www.colorectal-cancer.ca/)

AL-MO
06-23-2009, 03:54 PM
How about we just keep it red? :D

Carts
06-23-2009, 03:55 PM
What colour jersey do you want?

Prostate cancer seems to be two shades of blue:
http://www.prostatecancer.ca/About-Us.aspx (http://www.prostatecancer.ca/About-Us.aspx)

Colorectal Cancer is Purple:
http://www.colorectal-cancer.ca/ (http://www.colorectal-cancer.ca/)

I'll take either - as both are great causes that receive little to no attention from events like this...

AL-Mo has the best suggestion above...

Carts...

alexintoronto
06-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Loyalty = 15%
Cancer = 10%

FUCKIN' EH!!! We beat cancer!

oh wait - that was $15... :( Cancer beat us.

Stugatzo
06-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Fucking LOVE this!!! Great cause and great look!!
Fo' real!!

Kevvv
Meh

http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/img/season_shirts/manchester-united-away-shirt-1992-to-1993-s_2203_1.jpg

http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/img/season_shirts/thumbnails/stoke-away-shirt-1996-to-1997-s_6805_1_500x400.jpg (http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/img/season_shirts/stoke-away-shirt-1996-to-1997-s_6805_1.jpg)

Chevy
Cash grab

$2 for the Vietnamese dude? More like $2 for the week, including his wife and kids working beside him!

Don't go into sweatshop management. :D

yellowfellow
06-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Great cause, terrible jerseys!

They could have added a pink ribbon on the sleeve or something...

olegunnar
06-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Loyalty = 15%
Cancer = 10%

FUCKIN' EH!!! We beat cancer!

oh wait - that was $15... :( Cancer beat us.

Awesome!

If they really gave a shit they wouldn't sell the jerseys to the public.
They'd only make enough for the team. Get the team to autograph them post game and then auction off the 15-18 jerseys. One of a kinds, never offered to the public...100% to charity.

but no...that would be too genuine

Rudi
06-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Awesome!

They'd only make enough for the team. Get the team to autograph them post game and then auction off the 15-18 jerseys. One of a kinds, never offered to the public...100% to charity.

How would that be a better idea than (potentially) selling thousands of them along with still auctioning the game worn jerseys?

P.S. I don't think our team should ever wear an alternate colour at home. Ever.

The Kingpin
06-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Awesome!

Bang. On.

The Kingpin
06-23-2009, 04:05 PM
How would that be a better idea than (potentially) selling thousands of them along with still auctioning the game worn jerseys?

"...genuine..."

Don Julio
06-23-2009, 04:06 PM
My pet-peeve with this…

I love boobs.

a lot.

olegunnar
06-23-2009, 04:08 PM

What irks me the most is the way they're using cancer and charity as a way to line their pockets.

10%!

Rudi
06-23-2009, 04:09 PM
"...genuine..."
Looking at it from a purely numbers game, I'd think a $50000 cheque can genuinely help more than a $5000 cheque, no?

I do think the percentages should be higher, though. Say 25%.

I'm not a fool who thinks corporations are ever going to give 100% of anything to a cause, but I think the percentage should be higher.

Of course, they could just ignore the whole thing and give 0% to the Cancer Society.

Either way, I'm not going to get too fussed about this since I don't plan on buying a pink jersey any time soon.

dclaro
06-23-2009, 04:11 PM
couldn't it be a pink ball, or pink shoes?

grizzle
06-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Eww... good cause, but I don't like the way it screws up the jersey.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/sam_hain420/do-not-want-dog.jpg

Detroit_TFC
06-23-2009, 04:13 PM
As a young bachelor I had a lot of clothes that came out of the washer kinda looking like that.

FluSH
06-23-2009, 04:13 PM

To launch our campaign in support of the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation, the team will be wearing a new third jersey for the match against the Red Bulls tomorrow! The boys will be decked out in a pink jersey for the game and they will also wear it against San Jose on October 10th.

Carts...

and their goes any slight hopes however small on landing JDG....

Rudi
06-23-2009, 04:14 PM
and their goes any slight hopes however small on landing JDG....
JDG hates breast cancer awareness?

Edit: forgot the ;)

JonO
06-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Not diggin it. Great cause, but the pink jerseys really don't work....

ExiledRed
06-23-2009, 04:21 PM
I'd be more impressed to see TFC taking the initiative with raising awareness for prostate cancer (which affects 1 in 6 men) than jumping on a bandwagon.

Darlofletch
06-23-2009, 04:23 PM
oh when the pinks......

grizzle
06-23-2009, 04:25 PM
I suspect this is more of an initiative to bring in more female fans then really trying to raise awareness for a charity. If they really cared they would give way more than 10%. That is a joke.

boomcha
06-23-2009, 04:27 PM
I'd be more impressed to see TFC taking the initiative with raising awareness for prostate cancer (which affects 1 in 6 men) than jumping on a bandwagon.

I guess it going to be brown shirts for this.. :) Aaayooo!!!

I kid. I kid.

Seriously. While it may garner some abusive comments this is a good initiative.

Marc"2L"
06-23-2009, 04:27 PM
The other TFC(Toulouse FC) have had a pink kit before.

The problem I have is with the 10% and perhaps supporting another cause.

And seriously, if any other team makes fun of us, we'll get to laugh at their stupidity. I know for a fact some Columbus chump is going to make a comment without even realizing what's going on. Karma will probably bite his wifes ass hard.

Well not ass but you get the picture. I just don't want to be accused of wishing cancer on anyone.

AL-MO
06-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Only in Toronto would people go gaga over such a stupid idea.

Of course it's a great cause - get a pink ball, armband, ribbon + ask for donations at the gate, just don't make the team look like f*cking idiots.

Would they do this with the leafs (I don't mean sticks, I mean uniforms)?

This is f*king embarassing.

^^ Pretty much all that needs to be said.

ExiledRed
06-23-2009, 04:30 PM
I guess it going to be brown shirts for this.. :) Aaayooo!!!

I kid. I kid.

Seriously. While it may garner some abusive comments this is a good initiative.

It's just not 'cool' enough is all.

Mojo
06-23-2009, 04:32 PM
I like the jersey :D

Terrible timing though, first trophy pres? Pride week? Do it next game.

Carter
06-23-2009, 04:33 PM

Carts...

and at the beginning of the year everyone said they were never going to wear it!!!!!

ExiledRed
06-23-2009, 04:38 PM

better yet, do it in breast cancer awareness month and only then.

flatpicker
06-23-2009, 04:39 PM

nobody will see the trophy presentation anyway.
It will be taking place after the warmups... so it's not getting much exposure.

...We have a number of important (they're all important) games coming up and we need for our squad to be focused. As I mentioned in another thread we'll do a trophy presentation but it won't be an all encompassing affair. Rudi will represent the Voyageurs, and we'll present to the team after warmups. Which means that if you want to witness it you should be in your seat around 7:15pm tomorrow.

The Kingpin
06-23-2009, 04:39 PM
Looking at it from a purely numbers game, I'd think a $50000 cheque can genuinely help more than a $5000 cheque, no?

I do think the percentages should be higher, though. Say 25%.

I'm not a fool who thinks corporations are ever going to give 100% of anything to a cause, but I think the percentage should be higher.

Of course, they could just ignore the whole thing and give 0% to the Cancer Society.

Either way, I'm not going to get too fussed about this since I don't plan on buying a pink jersey any time soon.

Generally agree - but the bolded section of your statement is just another feather in the cap. It's a downward spiral, we all know it's happening, but because so many have invested so much... It's just tough to look away.

Profiting off Cancer, in any way shape or form, is about as low as it gets. And don't get me wrong, I know Cancer is big business, but a club is for the community... At least that's what I was told TFC was going to be, by TFC staff.

Marc"2L"
06-23-2009, 04:40 PM
So nobody wants to be the bigger team and just accept that we're doing this?
If you're going to throw a fit, do it over the profit from the jersey and the minuscule donation being made.

Timing with pride week?
Oh Noes! Everybody's going to think TFC has caught the gay.
Hell, good. Wear it for pride week too.
How many people have been killed because they loved somebody they were not supposed to? Nothing wrong with standing up against that too.

The biggest issue here is the donation amount. It's the only thing we have a legit claim to be upset about.

Cuz
06-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Funny lookin' shirts, but it's for an excellent cause!

And I agree the timing is a little bad. lol

DreFuss
06-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Tough Call: When I first saw the news, I thought to myself "they're gonna look like idiots." Now the more that I think about it, good on them. In all honesty I think it shows the strength in character behind the TFC. I'm not saying that I like the colour or the timing. In fact it's unfortunate timing in my opinion (to be PC about the issue). However, they probably committed to this awhile back and good on them for sticking by their word.

Also, the idea of supporting prostate cancer is pretty smart. I second the brown jersey.

JonO
06-23-2009, 04:53 PM
So nobody wants to be the bigger team and just accept that we're doing this?
If you're going to throw a fit, do it over the profit from the jersey and the minuscule donation being made.

Timing with pride week?
Oh Noes! Everybody's going to think TFC has caught the gay.
Hell, good. Wear it for pride week too.
How many people have been killed because they loved somebody they were not supposed to? Nothing wrong with standing up against that too.

The biggest issue here is the donation amount. It's the only thing we have a legit claim to be upset about.
I agree - the argument about the timing is stupid. However, regardless of the timing, the jersey's are funny-looking at best. No, it's not the end of the world - but I don't have to like it.

Roogsy
06-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Great cause.

Terrible execution.

yellowfellow
06-23-2009, 05:02 PM
I hope they wear their RED warmup jerseys during the trophy presentation...

alexintoronto
06-23-2009, 05:04 PM
I agree - the argument about the timing is stupid. However, regardless of the timing, the jersey's are funny-looking at best. No, it's not the end of the world - but I don't have to like it.
It depends - if this is the "Official" trophy presentation they should be wearing their home jersey's for it - and it's a big deal. If the "Official" presentation was in Montreal and this is just for show at our home field - then it's no big deal.

But only 10% + profiting off cancer is a big deal regardless.

Jack
06-23-2009, 05:13 PM
I think it's great that TFC wants to support this cause, bandwagon or not. Cancer is a horrible disease in all its forms.

Now, the fact that only 10% of these jersey sales are going to be donated smacks of tokenism to me. If you're going to do something as big as a pink kit for a cause, I would think that a larger donation than that would be made.

I can't see more than a few thousand of these selling, so we're talking about maybe a $30,000ish donation there.

Supporters have raised more money for cancer charities in the past two years than that without the backing of Adidas. It should also be noted (mainly for you olegunnar) that Adidas is probably getting a nice cut of the shirt too, so it's not all going to the great evil MLSE ;)

I'm not a big fan of the shirt sales to raise money for charity because I think it is brutally ugly and would never buy one. 10% of these sales is a pretty measley amount. I'd rather just donate $130 to breast cancer and not have to wear around a $117 ugly jersey in order to donate $13.

Despite all that, any money that goes to cancer research is good.

rocktml
06-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Come On You Pinks!!!
Oh When The Pinks.......

alexintoronto
06-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Save yourself $117 - just donate your $13 here:
https://www.cbcf.org/become/don_online.asp (https://www.cbcf.org/become/don_online.asp)

Roogsy
06-23-2009, 05:17 PM
I'm not a big fan of the shirt sales to raise money for charity because I think it is brutally ugly and would never buy one. 10% of these sales is a pretty measley amount. I'd rather just donate $130 to breast cancer and not have to wear around a $117 ugly jersey in order to donate $13.

I agree with this statement 110%.

Get In There
06-23-2009, 05:18 PM
TFC using breast cancer to sell jerseys*.....go figure

What's the rest of the campaign? (since this is just the 'kickoff') oh, the details will come later when this is down the memory hole.

B

* 10% to the charity on a very high margin product that you can only buy at their store. The society is getting nothing out of this.

Jack
06-23-2009, 05:19 PM

What's the rest of the campaign? (since this is just the 'kickoff') oh, the details will come later when this is down the memory hole.

B

* 10% to the charity on a very high margin product that you can only buy at their store. The society is getting nothing out of this.
Personal insults are not needed. Attack the organization, attack the actions, but do not attack the person.

Kevvv
06-23-2009, 05:21 PM
It depends - if this is the "Official" trophy presentation they should be wearing their home jersey's for it - and it's a big deal. If the "Official" presentation was in Montreal and this is just for show at our home field - then it's no big deal.

But only 10% + profiting off cancer is a big deal regardless.

It's to be a small presentation:

...before Wednesday nights game is there going to be a trophy presentation?

Hope so. Coaches want to keep the guys focused on the road ahead...we'll do something after warm up, and with one or two players to represent the team. Need to defer a little bit to the judgement of the coaching staff here, while still giving you all an opportunity to celebrate it.

...plan on being at the stadium (in your seat) around 7:10pm.

(edited for brevity)

Rudi
06-23-2009, 05:27 PM
I think it's great that TFC wants to support this cause, bandwagon or not. Cancer is a horrible disease in all its forms.

Now, the fact that only 10% of these jersey sales are going to be donated smacks of tokenism to me. If you're going to do something as big as a pink kit for a cause, I would think that a larger donation than that would be made.

I can't see more than a few thousand of these selling, so we're talking about maybe a $30,000ish donation there.

Supporters have raised more money for cancer charities in the past two years than that without the backing of Adidas. It should also be noted (mainly for you olegunnar) that Adidas is probably getting a nice cut of the shirt too, so it's not all going to the great evil MLSE ;)

+1 Spot on, Jack.

I do think that any awareness is good awareness, even though 10% is a very low number.

ilikemusic
06-23-2009, 05:30 PM
https://www.cbcf.org/become/don_online.asp (https://www.cbcf.org/become/don_online.asp)

I like this message.

Kevvv
06-23-2009, 05:31 PM

B

The only corporate charity that doesn't sell product is anonymous. Why not fight Tim Hortons or McDonalds for using charities to sell you coffee and fries? (Not that they don't do good work, and benefit a lot of charitable groups, but there's a reason they don't do it anonymously.)

That said, it would be interesting to know how the $130 gets divided: Adidas, MLS, BMO/the kiosks & stores that sell the merch, MLSE, etc.

Inklink
06-23-2009, 05:33 PM
Kudos for addressing the problem. Breast cancer is all too common. Selling the jersey in stores is what's pissing me off

It's no different than the pink jerseys the NHL made for women. Just a new product to appeal to part of their market. I would've had NO problems with the pink jerseys if all they did was auction them off and didn't sell them at stores.

Cash Grab Sports and Entertainment!

Inklink
06-23-2009, 05:34 PM

You got it bro!

Jay P
06-23-2009, 05:38 PM
I think MLSE is taking a cut on this jersey. The pink jersey is the same price as the authentic home jersey, adidas/reebok employees get then for $60, they are what? $100 reg price? So if anything MLS / MLSE get a smaller cut of the profits. I also assume these are of limited supply as there was no inventory on this until last friday.

mlsintoronto
06-23-2009, 05:57 PM
We were going to do a third jersey, and we thought it would be good to go further in creating awareness about this than any other team. We also are taking a risk on the jerseys as any retailer does. We'll only make money on these if they sell out but the 10% goes to the cause regardless. We also feel it's important to be transparent in the amount, and not hide behind "a portion of the proceeds..." or some other vagueness.

I think the photo doesn't do them justice and they look really good with the black shorts.

You don't have to like them. I hope we sell out because that means we will take more risks like this in the future.

TFC07
06-23-2009, 06:00 PM
We were going to do a third jersey, and we thought it would be good to go further in creating awareness about this than any other team. We also are taking a risk on the jerseys as any retailer does. We'll only make money on these if they sell out but the 10% goes to the cause regardless. We also feel it's important to be transparent in the amount, and not hide behind "a portion of the proceeds..." or some other vagueness.

I think the photo doesn't do them justice and they look really good with the black shorts.

You don't have to like them. I hope we sell out because that means we will take more risks like this in the future.

Oh snap....so they're going to look very similar to Palermo kits.

Yohan
06-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Oh snap....so they're going to look very similar to Palermo kits.
make sure someone tells the lads that some other teams wear pinko jerseys regularly, so that their morale doesn't go down ;)

Maple Leaf Red
06-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Generally agree - but the bolded section of your statement is just another feather in the cap. It's a downward spiral, we all know it's happening, but because so many have invested so much... It's just tough to look away.

Profiting off Cancer, in any way shape or form, is about as low as it gets. And don't get me wrong, I know Cancer is big business, but a club is for the community... At least that's what I was told TFC was going to be, by TFC staff.

It's like all of the corporations that jumped on that AIDS/Red bandwagon. It's just a way to move merchandise and make donations with our money. Guess who gets the charitable write-off?

Phil
06-23-2009, 06:04 PM
We are going to need help if Robbo scores in that....

It will be a youtube classic for sure.

Roogsy
06-23-2009, 06:12 PM

I can agree with the sentiment, but like I said above, it's unfortunately poor execution. I know I certainly won't be buying one of these, it's god-awful ugly. I do hope you get to sell these out as the cause is good and it would be unfortunate if this flops and future initiatives are curtailed because of this. However, all the more reason that you guys should have put more thought into this.

At the end of the day, to sell something well, you have to give people something they want, something they will whip out their wallets for. Does this jersey say that? In my opinion...no.

Like I told Canadian Bhoy...a black jersey with pink trim or offset would have been cool, would have created demand, and would have given a better probability for success. I hope you guys do well with this, but I am not holding my breath.

Ruby do
06-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Love the pink jerseys!! Great cause
Big ups to the boys for wearin them!! Plus itll look great when our boys n pink kill the NYRB!!

Dirk Diggler
06-23-2009, 06:32 PM
It doesn't look too bad ... I wouldn't mind wearing it but I won't be buying it. Doesn't bother me too much ... although I do wish that it did not coincide with the trophy presentation.

TFC111
06-23-2009, 06:32 PM
What serious football club ever screws with its home kit like this? Are they gonna have a different jersey colour every week for every cause? What's the point of taking pride in your colours now?

Jack
06-23-2009, 06:40 PM

I hope they sell out as well. All the more money for the charity!

What serious football club ever screws with its home kit like this? Are they gonna have a different jersey colour every week for every cause? What's the point of taking pride in your colours now?

Uhm...this isn't the home jersey. This is an alternate third jersey. It's not like they're ditching the red.

adamdz
06-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Dang I was hoping for a different thread when I read "The Pink". This is still quality though.

Jack
06-23-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm going to put this warning out here now so people don't say it wasn't said.

You don't have to like or agree with this initiative. In fact, you can outright hate it. But personal attacks on Paul, just like on any other user on the board, are not acceptible.

You can disagree with the policy or the organization and you can let him know that, but attacking him personally will earn you a ban just as it would for any other user.

TFC Kevin
06-23-2009, 06:46 PM
The Pink jerseys are strategic, we look soft and cute but then we're gonna kick their asses. Fuck with their minds.

TFC111
06-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Uhm...this isn't the home jersey. This is an alternate third jersey. It's not like they're ditching the red.

I get what it is Jack. But they are doing it for two games. What's not to say they do this for another cause for another couple a games and how long before this just becomes a corporate money grab like the Raptors green jersey? You think the top footy clubs in the world would ever come out wearing anything but their home kit at a home match? Why aren't we allowed to have the same pride they do?

Kevvv
06-23-2009, 06:48 PM

How many colours has Man Utd worn in the last few years? Chelsea? Arsenal?

We've seen TFC in their grey at home before, and wearing the pink jersey at an away game wouldn't make any sense.

Toronto_Bhoy
06-23-2009, 06:53 PM

Winning post Alex!!!

If you want to wear pink tomorrow night wash you TFC jersey in warmer water with a white t-shirt.

I smell fundraiser RPB style!!!

I guess $13 is the "loyalty price"!

grizzle
06-23-2009, 06:54 PM
At the end of the day, to sell something well, you have to give people something they want, something they will whip out their wallets for. Does this jersey say that? In my opinion...no.

Like I told Canadian Bhoy...a black jersey with pink trim or offset would have been cool, would have created demand, and would have given a better probability for success. I hope you guys do well with this, but I am not holding my breath.

I agree 100%, I would definitely throw money down for a black jersey esp. if part was going to a charity, but I won't be buying a pink one.

* Crossing fingers for a future black jersey :hump:

TFC111
06-23-2009, 06:56 PM

We've seen TFC in their grey at home before, and wearing the pink jersey at an away game wouldn't make any sense.

How many colours Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal worn at home other than their home kit for that season? The answer to that is NONE and those clubs give more to charity than TFC ever will. TFC wore grey at home because Chivas had only one shirt in 2007. Not the same thing.

Blazer
06-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Yuck. Those jersey's are fugly.

Could be worse. Could be Palermo FC.

http://images.quickblogcast.com/92912-88346/palermo_juve_1_del_piero_with_2_palermo_players.jp g

Inklink
06-23-2009, 06:58 PM
:rofl::rofl: I feel much better

http://njmg.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/09/22/sevillapink_1_the_associated_pres_2.jpg

Ageroo
06-23-2009, 07:04 PM

+1

Where else would this jersey make sense to be worn? It is for a good cause regardless of the percentages. Selling it out is what I hope for. As Jack said, you don't have to like it...and I don't personally, but selling them means more money to a worthy cause. I am sure everyone here can probably think of someone they know or have lost because of breast cancer.

Why can't we put aside our dislike for the jersey and applaud the effort being made. I know I am.....:hurray:

TFC111
06-23-2009, 07:10 PM
+1

Where else would this jersey make sense to be worn? It is for a good cause regardless of the percentages. Selling it out is what I hope for. As Jack said, you don't have to like it...and I don't personally, but selling them means more money to a worthy cause. I am sure everyone here can probably think of someone they know or have lost because of breast cancer.

Why can't we put aside our dislike for the jersey and applaud the effort being made. I know I am.....:hurray:

If they realy believed in the cause they would donate 10% of all jersey sales no matter what colour. This is part marketing part charity part guilt. Breast cancer is no more important than any other type of cancer. Couldn't they find one that uses red as a colour and donated all jersey sales to it? I don't care about the jersey as much as the disrespect to a football club's traditions at home. Again, no big club would ever do this out of respect to the club's colours at home. I know we are not a big club but do we have to think and act like a small one?

Ageroo
06-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Tough crowd tonight.......:)

Blazer
06-23-2009, 07:19 PM
I'll support anything related to breasts ... :hump:

Ageroo
06-23-2009, 07:21 PM

Atta Boy!

Phil
06-23-2009, 07:22 PM

I like the way you think :D

Detroit_TFC
06-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Could be worse. Could be Palermo FC.

http://images.quickblogcast.com/92912-88346/palermo_juve_1_del_piero_with_2_palermo_players.jp g

Anybody cracks wise about their jerseys, they will sleep with the fishes. :)

rocker
06-23-2009, 07:33 PM
pink TFC jerseys? looks like Malcolm the Kit Man mistakenly put some bleach in the wash.

Ruby do
06-23-2009, 07:57 PM
for a group mostly full of men...u all bitch an awful lot! maybe pink is a properly suited color.
snicker snicker

billyfly
06-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Don't like them. RED is our colour.

Make jerseys with "woman's cuts" if you have too but PINK is DUMB

ExiledRed
06-23-2009, 08:07 PM

Which is why you picked a good charity for RPB with the Terry Fox Organisation.

Cancer is cancer, it's as terrible to get bladder cancer as it is to get breast cancer, maybe worse. Money should go to all aspects of cancer research and not just the trendy, media friendly, kinds.

Ladies Love Julius James
06-23-2009, 08:27 PM
I dont know the details but I had a guy explain to me that every single cancer charity is a scam LOL he said we've given trillions since society existed and all it does is give the doctors a higher salary or pay for their luxerious flights. He had worked within charities before.

ExiledRed
06-23-2009, 08:33 PM
I dont know the details but I had a guy explain to me that every single cancer charity is a scam LOL he said we've given trillions since society existed and all it does is give the doctors a higher salary or pay for their luxerious flights. He had worked within charities before.

I don't doubt it. I would seriously like to see an audit done for all the major cancer research organisations, and the results made transparent.

Trillions is correct, and that money isn't necessarily going toward helping the sufferers (i.e covering their medical expenses, helping the family absorb the financial impact, comfort and care etc...)

I'm cynical, and maybe I shouldn't be, but at times it looks to me like finding a cure would be bad for business.

Ladies Love Julius James
06-23-2009, 08:36 PM
I don't doubt it. I would seriously like to see an audit done for all the major cancer research organisations, and the results made transparent.

Trillions is correct, and that money isn't necessarily going toward helping the sufferers (i.e covering their medical expenses, helping the family absorb the financial impact, comfort and care etc...)

I'm cynical, and maybe I shouldn't be, but at times it looks to me like finding a cure would be bad for business.

Your not off and the more I think about it neither is he. Someone as little as the common cold would affect a lot of people in the pharmaceutical industry.

Pistachio Disguisey
06-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Oh my a god! I a just a come a back from Italia, I have a been gone since December and I just a see this.

At first when I see this a shirt for Toronto I think they are changing to be with a the Palermo style of shirt. I cannot be blamming them for that because they are a the best in my eyes for football clubs. Except TFC would be like an insult to the colour because they do not play the beautiful football. Mostly just Englanders and their style of play. But Toronto is now my home so I support the club and they are deserving of all our support.

I read more of this messages and I a find out that this shirt is just extra and money is for charity. I think a giving the money for charity is a good idea. Lots of my a family give a money to charity some a times. I not a say that TFC is a bad, I love a going to the match, but I say that charity sometimes is good way to make the tax money back.

In a my a town back home one of a my neighbours got taken away by the police because he gave a lot of money to the kids with no legs. It turn out that he not a give any money to them at all, he just a lie and say that so that the kids would love his face and the taxes could be low. He go to jail, but I didn't feel bad because he lie.

Now a that I'm back to Canada, I can't wait to be coming to the games. I would like to be in the 112 if I could get a ticket. I have most of my times in the beer garden but would like a to try the red patch section. I a call Mario tonight to see if I a go tomorrow if a not, I come soon.

guelphguy1965
06-23-2009, 08:48 PM
I dont know about you guys but my wife bought one last year and when we met Dero for autograph signing he actually liked the jersey and commented on how nice it looked. There are lots of TFC female fans so this jersey will give them an option to wear something TFC related other than Red when they are not at games and at same time help a good cause.
Make what you want with that.

FluSH
06-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Oh my a god! I a just a come a back from Italia, I have a been gone since December and I just a see this.

At first when I see this a shirt for Toronto I think they are changing to be with a the Palermo style of shirt. I cannot be blamming them for that because they are a the best in my eyes for football clubs. Except TFC would be like an insult to the colour because they do not play the beautiful football. Mostly just Englanders and their style of play. But Toronto is now my home so I support the club and they are deserving of all our support.

I read more of this messages and I a find out that this shirt is just extra and money is for charity. I think a giving the money for charity is a good idea. Lots of my a family give a money to charity some a times. I not a say that TFC is a bad, I love a going to the match, but I say that charity sometimes is good way to make the tax money back.

In a my a town back home one of a my neighbours got taken away by the police because he gave a lot of money to the kids with no legs. It turn out that he not a give any money to them at all, he just a lie and say that so that the kids would love his face and the taxes could be low. He go to jail, but I didn't feel bad because he lie.

Now a that I'm back to Canada, I can't wait to be coming to the games. I would like to be in the 112 if I could get a ticket. I have most of my times in the beer garden but would like a to try the red patch section. I a call Mario tonight to see if I a go tomorrow if a not, I come soon.

We need to get this guy in 112! now.. :D

ExiledRed
06-23-2009, 08:52 PM
We need to get this guy in 112! now.. :D

He's too turtley for our turtle club.

Yohan
06-23-2009, 08:53 PM
did he actually put down italian caricature on this post? LMAO

Jack
06-23-2009, 08:57 PM

For what it's worth:

http://www.terryfoxrun.org/english/foundation/default.asp?s=1

Red CB Toronto
06-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Pink is such a stunning color in general, I have no problem with them wearing it, pink is very fashionable these days for men to wear, so there is no need to say any bad about this, cancer is very important to deal with so lets just do that and let everything be good, the band must play on.

Keyman
06-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Pink is a legit colour. I'd rock pink any day of the week.

Yohan
06-23-2009, 09:02 PM
ok. so we know who are the metrosexuals on the board :p

Keyman
06-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Yup, I'm typing with my freshly manicured nails. :rolleyes:

ExiledRed
06-23-2009, 09:08 PM
For what it's worth:

http://www.terryfoxrun.org/english/foundation/default.asp?s=1

I'd never doubt the integrity of the fundraising groups, maybe I should have been clearer.

Aaron's point was the money donated to cancer research by the fundraising groups, might well be used inefficiently or disingenuosly by the medical centre's, medical staff, and corporate drug research labs that appropriate that money.

That's what I'd like to see audited, and made transparent. What does the money marked 'cancer research' do? What does it pay for? who decides where it goes, and who would be out of pocket if the cure was found?

Wagner
06-23-2009, 09:15 PM
I hadn't been online since around 4pm....
i come home after a long day, thinking about the big game tomorrow.
thinking how my TFC Fever is at an all time high....
but my nightmare came true....

Pink Kits!!! WTF???

as others suggested...armbands, ribbons above the crest....pink ball....etc....
I'm all for Breasts, I'm all for fighting cancer, I'm all for equality (could care less if someone questions our masculinity).

I just don't want to mess with building a tradition....
Would the Leafs dare wear a pink jersey?
would the Habs?
would the NY Giants?
would the bosox, celtics, lakers, etc????

TFC has always avoided gimmicky things until now.
I hope it doesn't catch on...let's be more creative than jumping on this bandwagon....let's see some new ideas, thinking outside the box...etc.

Bobo
06-23-2009, 09:15 PM
So pink streamers tomorrow?

Yohan
06-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Nous chantons que les roses allez?

nascarguy
06-23-2009, 09:27 PM

I think i would wear the pink shirt over this shit:scarf:

Yohan
06-23-2009, 09:30 PM
oh when the pinks...
go marching in...

sorry. this has been a very traumatic experience for me

i am forever mentally scarred :(

hug me :(

twistedchinaman
06-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Great cause yes.

Carts...

Let them.

FluSH
06-23-2009, 09:46 PM
So pink streamers tomorrow?

I would avoid this... you might get thrown out if the wind catches the streamer and it hits a player

ExiledRed
06-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Let them.

yeah, I'm sure the three of them will laugh it off eventually.

Oldtimer
06-23-2009, 09:51 PM
So now for tomorrow, we will have to become... the pink patch boys ?

Juanito
06-23-2009, 09:52 PM
I'd never doubt the integrity of the fundraising groups, maybe I should have been clearer.

Aaron's point was the money donated to cancer research by the fundraising groups, might well be used inefficiently or disingenuosly by the medical centre's, medical staff, and corporate drug research labs that appropriate that money.

That's what I'd like to see audited, and made transparent. What does the money marked 'cancer research' do? What does it pay for? who decides where it goes, and who would be out of pocket if the cure was found?

I hope that a "cure for cancer" is found but the cynic in me says that the pharmaceutical industry will never allow that to happen. It's more profitable to keep someone alive and taking medications for the rest of their lives, then to cure them in one shot.

I'm not saying we shouldn't try to look for a cure or not support cancer research, it is a good thing.

GuelphStorm2007
06-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Great cause, Do not mind the pink. Hell if it is good enough for Palermo, It's good enough for TFC..

Wagner
06-23-2009, 09:59 PM
how about a Camo Jersey to support our troops????
http://www.baseballjerseys.org/images/N223.jpg
http://sport2wear.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/stpaulihls05061.jpg

Boudge
06-23-2009, 10:01 PM

Completely agree

BakaGaijin
06-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Which is why you picked a good charity for RPB with the Terry Fox Organisation.

Cancer is cancer, it's as terrible to get bladder cancer as it is to get breast cancer, maybe worse. Money should go to all aspects of cancer research and not just the trendy, media friendly, kinds.

Good points.

I also think more effort needs to spent on awareness to prevent these things in the first place. There are reasons why Asian countries have much lower incidents of breast cancer than the Western world.

It is mostly to do with diet, smoking and oral contraceptives.

http://www.cancerproject.org/survival/cancer_facts/breast.php

TorCanSoc
06-23-2009, 10:11 PM
I may get a pink one for my daughter. I feel bad for loving the team more than I love my kids, so a jersey for them will ease my internal conflict.

Seriously brings up a question... if MLSE made an NCC kit available, would you buy it?

TFC07
06-23-2009, 10:22 PM
I wonder how many teams in MLS and USL have the balls to rock a pink kit for a game. Just imagine how their fans will react to it.

Cas87
06-23-2009, 10:31 PM

Nah, I think if TFC did something for the troops just have the "Support Our Troops" Ribbon in place of the MLS crest for the one game and keep the red. Maybe a camo captains armband too:canada:

Yohan
06-23-2009, 10:32 PM
CADPAT jerseys would be pretty damn cool though

ochos
06-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Exiled - I completely agree, and you're not cynical. Most people have no idea that many charitable organizations around the world are devil's dressing up as nuns.

It's sickening that nobody questions this. People need to learn too use critical analysis..

Phil
06-23-2009, 10:41 PM
CADPAT jerseys would be pretty damn cool though

You just read my mind on that one...

nascarguy
06-23-2009, 10:50 PM
this would be a great idea but not the way tfc is doing by only giving away 10% of sales mlse you money hungry loser do something right for a change give at else 60 to 70% of sales on this pink jersey

boomcha
06-23-2009, 11:22 PM
So now for tomorrow, we will have to become... the pink patch boys ?

I don't know about you guys but usually I love any kind of pink patch. ;)

nascarguy
06-23-2009, 11:37 PM
red Camo Jersey would be ok maybe only if the give ways 60 to 70% of sales

CoachGT
06-24-2009, 05:32 AM
pink jersey for the pink cows?

Pookie
06-24-2009, 05:40 AM
I hope that a "cure for cancer" is found but the cynic in me says that the pharmaceutical industry will never allow that to happen. It's more profitable to keep someone alive and taking medications for the rest of their lives, then to cure them in one shot.

That's a common view but think about this.

What if you were the company that found the "silver bullet" that cured all cancers? Now, recognize that you'd have a 25 year patent on it. It's EXTREMELY motiviating to be the first to find this cure.

That fact alone though is a problem. It's not that they don't want to cure it. It's that they don't want to work together to cure it. It's business as much as it is personal.

In thinking about the motivation not to cure cancer also think about this. We don't get off the earth alive. Eventually, something will get us. Therefore, there will always be a market for the drugs.

For example, if cancer is cured yet we all live long enough to develop Alzheimers, that market will explode. Or we all get depressed about being 140 years old but unable to walk so the anti-depressant market takes off.

There is no financial downside to curing cancer. If you think purely in a business sense, the market would just shift.

Fort York Redcoat
06-24-2009, 06:28 AM
If you like pink buy the kit and wear it where we don't want a sea of red.

If you want to support the fight for breast cancer do not feel the need to go pink.

They give 10% of every jersey sold to the cause NO MATTER THE COLOUR.

The auction is great but as its been said just use it for warm up. I don't want to see that all game long.

BakaGaijin
06-24-2009, 07:20 AM
Exiled - I completely agree, and you're not cynical. Most people have no idea that many charitable organizations around the world are devil's dressing up as nuns.

It's sickening that nobody questions this. People need to learn too use critical analysis..

Word. Look at MADD, Mother's Against Drunk Driving, 81% of their donations are used for administration cost's! What a farce!

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/134309

Most charities just piss away money. The United Way is another horrible run organization.

MartinUtd
06-24-2009, 07:43 AM
I had a good laugh when Oldham donned them last year. I think this is karmas payback.

Wagner
06-24-2009, 08:04 AM
Word. Look at MADD, Mother's Against Drunk Driving, 81% of their donations are used for administration cost's! What a farce!

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/134309

Most charities just piss away money. The United Way is another horrible run organization.

This is a bad story, but doesn't tell the whole story.
Yes, in 2006, that exec at Head office was being a douche.
But there is a difference between head office and all the local chapters.

The local chapters were greatly affected by this story as donations dried up...
The local chapters do a lot of great work on a shoestring budget and get most of their funds from the old school ways (bake sales, car washes, etc)

SilverSamurai
06-24-2009, 08:10 AM
Good cause, ugly kit.

Kaz
06-24-2009, 08:21 AM
good on them
it's a great cause, and will build awareness
It will be interesting to see the reaction to it tonight

Cambridge_Red
06-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Wearing our Red kit after winning our first championship would've been sweet too... oh wait that would've been common sense.

All for the cause but seriously wtf...

BakaGaijin
06-24-2009, 08:29 AM

This statement is ridiculous. The mark up on these products is at least 400%.

Adidas doesn't even pay it's workers in Thailand enough money to properly feed their families:

http://www.cleanclothes.org/news/111

How about raising awareness for a cause such as this?!? :rolleyes:

The reason you won't is because it won't get you the media attention that you are buying with this pink shirt gimmick.

Brooker
06-24-2009, 08:35 AM
seriously... im all for breast cancer awareness, but can i ask why this couldn't wait until say... the Houston game?

we're being presented with our first trophy FFS!

what is going on here? are they trying to piss people off now? it's never fucking ending.

Kevvv
06-24-2009, 08:42 AM
seriously... im all for breast cancer awareness, but can i ask why this couldn't wait until say... the Houston game?

what is going on here? are they trying to piss people off now? it's never fucking ending.

It's a small presentation, not even the whole team. But you're right, the trophy is meaningless if they aren't wearing red.

olegunnar
06-24-2009, 08:59 AM
If I bought live strong bracelets for 20 cents a unit, then sold them on the RPB board for $5 a pop...with a portion going to charity lets say Sick Kids Hospital...lets say...I dunno 10%?

So 20 cents for the braclet, 50 cents for chairty, $4.30 per bracelet into my pocket...would I not be a scam artist?

I guess because it's a company doing it, rather than just one person, it's okay??

Derko
06-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Cash grab

Much like the profit margin on the Red BMO Jerseys eh!

On a side note, Breast Cancer having touched 2 of my Wife's sister, one passed and one survivor and we having 2 adult daughters I have no issues at all with this.

Roogsy
06-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Guys, how TFC is running this is no different than how any other corporation has run their fundraising for various causes. Let's not hold MLSE any different than any other corporation. They all do it this way, it's going to continue being done this way and it's a wasted exercise to complain about it. You simply exercise your opinion by either supporting it or not. If you really want to donate to Breast Cancer causes, there are so many ways to do it, this is just one.

nascarguy
06-24-2009, 09:08 AM
If I bought live strong bracelets for 20 cents a unit, then sold them on the RPB board for $5 a pop...with a portion going to charity lets say Sick Kids Hospital...lets say...I dunno 10%?

So 20 cents for the braclet, 50 cents for chairty, $4.30 per bracelet into my pocket...would I not be a scam artist?

I guess because it's a company doing it, rather than just one person, it's okay??if your making money yes you would be a scam and would not be ok but if your not making then it would be ok plus you could use it for next year income tax and would get some money back I think

Cambridge_Red
06-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Guys, how TFC is running this is no different than how any other corporation has run their fundraising for various causes. Let's not hold MLSE any different than any other corporation.

Come again? !

Roogsy
06-24-2009, 09:12 AM
What's wrong with my statement? I view MLSE as a corporation that does things in a corporate way. Should that surprise us?

Them issuing a pink jersey does not change material issues with the team. The DP issue, the grass issue etc. Therefore I could care less about pink jerseys. Don't get me wrong. It certainly doesn't impress me, in fact quite the opposite. I am beginning to wonder what's going on in the back rooms of TFC's head office. But at the end of the day, I am not going to hold them to a different standard than other corporations in Toronto who raise funds for charity in similar ways.

Now...if they did something that would screw with the product on the field....well pitchforks and lanterns it is!

Jack
06-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Guys, how TFC is running this is no different than how any other corporation has run their fundraising for various causes. Let's not hold MLSE any different than any other corporation. They all do it this way, it's going to continue being done this way and it's a wasted exercise to complain about it. You simply exercise your opinion by either supporting it or not. If you really want to donate to Breast Cancer causes, there are so many ways to do it, this is just one.
Exactly.

If you disagree with this whole 10% going to Breast Cancer and the rest going into Adidas and TFC's pockets, the best way to send your message is to sponsor one of our head shavers in September for $130 ;)

That way you're helping a great cause with the full amount and you don't have to buy a fugly jersey

:scarf:

joel
06-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Wow, some people will whine about anything. Organize a protest and walkout!

Who cares! Palermo plays in pink all the time and it looks fine. NYRB is gonna get beat by the pinkies, it's going to be great!

drewski
06-24-2009, 09:45 AM
What if you were the company that found the "silver bullet" that cured all cancers? Now, recognize that you'd have a 25 year patent on it. It's EXTREMELY motiviating to be the first to find this cure.

neither here nor there, but a patent is 20 years in Canada and the US, not 25

drewski
06-24-2009, 09:48 AM

the real, most important trophy presentation took place already in Montreal. This is merely us showing off, so not so big a deal.

and personally, something as trivial as jersey colour during a trophy presentation isn't worth getting pissed over, one way or another

Cambridge_Red
06-24-2009, 09:49 AM
What's wrong with my statement? I view MLSE as a corporation that does things in a corporate way. Should that surprise us?

Them issuing a pink jersey does not change material issues with the team. The DP issue, the grass issue etc. Therefore I could care less about pink jerseys. Don't get me wrong. It certainly doesn't impress me, in fact quite the opposite. I am beginning to wonder what's going on in the back rooms of TFC's head office. But at the end of the day, I am not going to hold them to a different standard than other corporations in Toronto who raise funds for charity in similar ways.

Now...if they did something that would screw with the product on the field....well pitchforks and lanterns it is!

Ok that I can live with :D, I just think this Pink jersey thing is too much. How about they just go into the vast MLSE coffers and donate some money? Or ask for a donation at the gate? I am 100% behind donating but those kits are hideous... It's bad alone the track record we've had with our grey kits..

Oh by the way Palermo's Pink jersey may have something to do with them having Pink as one of their official colours.

BFin
06-24-2009, 10:34 AM
I don't normally get on you guys in the Front Office Paul, but in this instance I have to.

I agree with everyone that the pink jersey is a disgrace for our first ever trophy presentation. If we wanted to raise awareness why couldn't there be a large Breast Cancer logo in midfield, with the same pink logo on the TFC RED jersey that they normally wear? If you wanted a commemorative jersey so badly to raise money for the cause, this would be the same thing...minus the ridiculous look on the field. I get the strange feeling that you guys felt that a breast cancer logo on the jersey would not be different enough for people to repurchase.

Also, 10%? Is that a joke?
What is the profit margin on one of these jerseys? For transparencies sake, why not state ALL PROFITS WILL BE GIVEN TO THE CANADIAN CANCER SOCEITY?? Seems like a pretty easy thing to do for a company that made a profit last year without another jersey.

Better yet, why not have an in stadium fundraiser? Why not donate a portion of concessions? Why not donate a portion of ticket sales? Was this really the best option we had for this?

Just looking for some rationale.

Get In There
06-24-2009, 10:42 AM
I don't normally get on you guys in the Front Office Paul, but in this instance I have to.

I agree with everyone that the pink jersey is a disgrace for our first ever trophy presentation. If we wanted to raise awareness why couldn't there be a large Breast Cancer logo in midfield, with the same pink logo on the TFC RED jersey that they normally wear? If you wanted a commemorative jersey so badly to raise money for the cause, this would be the same thing...minus the ridiculous look on the field. I get the strange feeling that you guys felt that a breast cancer logo on the jersey would not be different enough for people to repurchase.

Also, 10%? Is that a joke?
What is the profit margin on one of these jerseys? For transparencies sake, why not state ALL PROFITS WILL BE GIVEN TO THE CANADIAN CANCER SOCEITY?? Seems like a pretty easy thing to do for a company that made a profit last year without another jersey.

Better yet, why not have an in stadium fundraiser? Why not donate a portion of concessions? Why not donate a portion of ticket sales? Was this really the best option we had for this?

Just looking for some rationale.

Because it's an easy, BS, corporate, coat-tail, using, thing to do.

It's what comes natural to 'that company and it's employee'

B

BFin
06-24-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm not trying to say that Get In There, just wondering why alternative measures were not taken.

grizzle
06-24-2009, 10:48 AM
We also are taking a risk on the jerseys as any retailer does.

This is a completely pointless risk. If you had of made them almost any other colour you would have almost guaranteed selling out, but you guys decided to choose the 1 color that over 50% of people might have an issue with. Not only did you take a risk you made a bad business decision.

Anyway, I hope you sell out, the charity makes some money and you prove me wrong, but I would bet that doesn't happen. I appreciate what you were trying to do, but I think the execution here was really poor.

Get In There
06-24-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm not trying to say that Get In There, just wondering why alternative measures were not taken.

Really BFin - that is the answer.

Think about it.

Your question is (nut shell) "If you are interested in helping the BC cause, why didn't you do this .....or do that"

?

Beacuse.......they are not really interested.......and it's obvious.

Bill

Wagner
06-24-2009, 11:10 AM
What if it was pink argyle??
http://www.ensport.com/catalog/images/ajfmar08a1.jpg

+

http://x.couver.us/images/headband/hotpink_headband_hotpinkblue_argyle_wristband_set. jpg

Troll
06-24-2009, 11:49 AM
if your making money yes you would be a scam and would not be ok but if your not making then it would be ok plus you could use it for next year income tax and would get some money back I think

My head just exploded.

Roogsy
06-24-2009, 11:51 AM
What if it was pink argyle??
http://www.ensport.com/catalog/images/ajfmar08a1.jpg

+

http://x.couver.us/images/headband/hotpink_headband_hotpinkblue_argyle_wristband_set. jpg

Parky would buy it for sure!

RedsYNWA
06-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Guys WHO CARES what is the big Deal...if we win our 2 games in this jersey I will buy one and say we are Perfect wearing Pink and demand the team only play in PINK

Cas87
06-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Just to let you guys know the text on the jerseys basically says TFC vs. New York today's date and the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation logo.

Rudi
06-24-2009, 12:43 PM
This is a completely pointless risk. If you had of made them almost any other colour you would have almost guaranteed selling out, but you guys decided to choose the 1 color that over 50% of people might have an issue with. Not only did you take a risk you made a bad business decision.
So if the jerseys were green no one would have a problem?

I highly doubt it.

Limani_Ole
06-24-2009, 12:52 PM
They should play with two balls to support the Testicular Cancer Society.. although saving boobs is a good cause as well..

Chewy Unikronik
06-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Not to sound like an ass, but why does breast cancer get so much pub and money, while the others are almost completely ignored? Cancer is cancer is cancer, as far as I'm concerned.

On top of that, this cancer fundraising stuff is a multi BILLION dollar industry and they haven't solved or proven jack poop. Where does all this fricken money go????

BFin
06-24-2009, 01:03 PM
They should play with two balls to support the Testicular Cancer Society.. although saving boobs is a good cause as well..
LOL
I just let out a big laugh in the office for that one

BFin
06-24-2009, 01:05 PM

I highly doubt it.
The jerseys are red.
Home jerseys are red.
Period.

10% of the sales goes to BC? That's the problem. The jerseys might as well be green because breast cancer is only going to get silver and copper from MLSE on this one.

My problem is I would like to know what other alternatives were even discussed before this disaster of a jersey was erected.

joel
06-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Not to sound like an ass, but why does breast cancer get so much pub and money, while the others are almost completely ignored? Cancer is cancer is cancer, as far as I'm concerned.

On top of that, this cancer fundraising stuff is a multi BILLION dollar industry and they haven't solved or proven jack poop. Where does all this fricken money go????

Cause Breasts are great and worth saving!!

joel
06-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Can't wait for this breast cancer protest to start!! This should be a first!

Roogsy
06-24-2009, 01:43 PM
I say we all wear plastic boobs on our heads.

Magical. :D

grizzle
06-24-2009, 02:17 PM

I highly doubt it.

I think there would be more sales than on a pink one honestly. Obviously the colors that would sell most are things like blue, black, and maybe a special red one with something additional.

Jay P
06-24-2009, 02:46 PM
easy, because women will support causes that mean something to them, while men just bitch and complain on why shit happens and shit doesnt get done.

Now if MLSE offered a new black kit with proceeds going to support colon cancer you're probably gonna have hardcore jersey collectors buy it, but most guys won't justify spending another $130 on a jersey after purchasing a new home and or away kit, but pink and supporting breast cancer well, that shit sells im sorry, and I am sure it will sell well

H Bomb
06-24-2009, 02:48 PM
pink balls would have been a better idea.

Carts
06-24-2009, 02:50 PM
I say we all wear plastic boobs on our heads.

Magical. :D

Or just have all ladies in attendance with "plastic boobs" wear no shirts... :D

Carts...

JonO
06-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Or just have all ladies in attendance with "plastic boobs" wear no shirts... :D

Carts...
I can handle a fake personality, but you gotta draw the line somewhere...

Carts
06-24-2009, 02:54 PM
I can handle a fake personality, but you gotta draw the line somewhere...

I have no issues with a lady "improving herself" through the wonders of modern medicin... :yum:

Carts... :D

Darlofletch
06-24-2009, 02:56 PM

Some of our players have a hard enough time picking out a red shirt to pass to.

Remember man United's infamous gray shirt? Worst excuse ever.

Hitcho
06-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Some of our players have a hard enough time picking out a red shirt to pass to.

Remember man United's infamous gray shirt? Worst excuse ever.

Haha - you mean best excuse ever, that still cracks me up! :D:D:D

prizby
06-24-2009, 04:19 PM
this is a crying shame...i cannot understand this one bit. The boys are supporting females in their fight for brest cancer...i'll support that 110% all the way, but what boggles my mind is they do nothing to promote and support prostate cancer, the number one cancer killer of MEN (just like them)

disappointing

Bars92
06-24-2009, 04:45 PM
I've seen teams in the Oakville soccer dome rocking pink jerseys, dammit TFC should have no problems!

Hitcho
06-24-2009, 04:51 PM
this is a crying shame...i cannot understand this one bit. The boys are supporting females in their fight for brest cancer...i'll support that 110% all the way, but what boggles my mind is they do nothing to promote and support prostate cancer, the number one cancer killer of MEN (just like them)

disappointing

That's because it's not commercially viable to promote prostate cancer. That's not a dig at Paul or even TFC - just look around at how many products are sporting the pink ribbon nowadays for breast cancer - fucking loads. People are fighting over it because it sells so many extra units. There is expensive litigation going on in Canada right now about who has the right to put the pink ribbon on bottles of wine. It's fucking crazy.

And how much do they actually give to the charity? 10% or less, plus a one off licensing fee. So no wonder MLSE has joined the bandwagon on this one.

The only question is how much longer will the public be deceived by this crap and realise they are just lining corporate pockets and would be much, much better off just giving the money straight to the charity instead.

Seriously people, instead of spending 130 bucks on a pink TFC shirt (wtf?!) just give 10 bucks to breast cancer research. They'll get about the same level of benefit from it and you don't have walk around dressed like a fucking pimp.

Red Skies At Night
06-24-2009, 05:39 PM
In regards to the Pink Ribbon campaign, keep in mind that it is not a "corporate" initiative, it was created by the NFP's themselves. It is the single most effective campaign they have ever tried. It has raised more awareness and money for the cause than anything else they've tried.

And the 10% deal has been around long before the pink ribbon campaign. Nearly anyone who's run a NFP will tell you that the 10% is money they would not otherwise see. The money people spend via corporations to "support" charities is money they wouldn't typically just donate to said charity (unfortunately - I wish more people took your advice Hitcho and just donate straight to the charity, but unfortunately experience has shown they generally don't)

Remember last year MLSE sold pink female jerseys and donated squat from the proceeds (which annoyed me then as I thought it would be a great PR move from the team for relatively little money).

prizby
06-24-2009, 06:34 PM
who are NFP's???

why not get the NFP's to do the same for prostate cancer?

drewski
06-24-2009, 06:49 PM
they look pretty sharp on tv, which is saying a alot cause I've never worn pink (other then at run for the cure)

ilikemusic
06-24-2009, 07:19 PM
The kit looks great.

The jersey looks awful.

TFC07
06-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Pink jersey doesn't look too bad. Maybe TFC can make pink jersey their 3rd jersey.

loconet
06-24-2009, 08:51 PM
I always thought pink + black actually looks decent. It looked sharp on TV. Vitti seems to like it :P

Those were my home town club's colours and we were far from "feminine". Too bad we got relegated ..boo.

http://www.loconet.ca/gfix/linked/sba2.jpg

http://www.loconet.ca/gfix/linked/sba3.jpg
http://www.loconet.ca/gfix/linked/sba4.jpg

http://www.loconet.ca/gfix/linked/sba1.jpg

Redcoe15
06-24-2009, 08:56 PM
If it gets us results, like tonight, then who's complaining? :scarf:

I <3 :tfc:

scooter
06-24-2009, 09:08 PM
pink is in
we won
viti cracked his cherry
all good

ilikemusic
06-24-2009, 09:28 PM
2 - 0 win in the pink!

Dont ever take them off!

:p

H Bomb
06-25-2009, 12:42 AM
^^6-1 win in the red....stick to it!!

James17930
06-25-2009, 03:34 AM
I'd still like to see a black third kit next time we get new ones . . . 2011, I guess.

Hitcho
06-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Prizby - NFP = not for profit, ie charities and stuff.

Red Skies - agree and understand that the charities would not otherwise see the 10% they get. And for regular products which are being sold everyday anyway then it's a good deal for everyone, the charity gets a licence fee and a 10% cut and the corp gets a small boost in sales and some good PR. Thart's fine when you stick the ribbon on a box of Tetley tea bags or something that would otherwise be sold regardless. but this is different ebcuase it is something that was made up specifially as a one time gig for this one game, those pink shirts would not otherwise have been made and put on sale in the normal course. So in those circumstances, if MLSE really is looking to raise money and wareness, give 50% of the proceeds to the charity, or fuck it just give all profits as a one off and make it revenue neutral for MLSE. So many more people would buy the shirts that way and the charity would really benefit, not just get a token donation of a few hundred dollars. There is absolutely no fucking need for MLSE (of all corps) to go looking for extra profits by taking 90% of the proceeds for a one off charity produced shirt run. That's what makes me sick about the whole thing. Fine, raise awareness and donate, that's all good, but don;t profiteer from it in this way.

EDIT - MLSE could probably easily donate a million bucks of profits to breast cancer research this year anyway even without this additional shirt run. Plus they claim tax deductions for such donations anyway, whcih just makes the whole thing even more distatseful.

TorCanSoc
06-25-2009, 08:18 AM
I'd still like to see a black third kit next time we get new ones . . . 2011, I guess.

All white third strip for the NCC!!

[I did not read through this thread just wanted to say not enough contrast between the white on the NYRB and our pink jerseys]

Parkdale
06-25-2009, 08:25 AM
[I did not read through this thread just wanted to say not enough contrast between the white on the NYRB and our pink jerseys]

yes they were close in colour, but it wasn't hard to follow the action.

Boudge
06-25-2009, 08:58 AM
I really liked the pink jersey, definately going to purchase one if I can find it

Carts
06-25-2009, 09:00 AM
In the first half, with the sun in our eyes, it was hard to tell the teams apart...

NYRB should have worn their blue kit...

I must admit, the pink looked nice...

Carts...

Don Julio
06-25-2009, 09:02 AM
They actually looked quite good.

I was worried that it might be hard to tell them apart when I saw the nyrbs wearing white, but it was actually really easy.

Ageroo
06-25-2009, 09:10 AM

I think a black third kit would look pretty sick.....but from a player's perspective that would be a disaster. Summer heat and a black jersey are a no-no......

On a side note...I was actually impressed that the pink\black combo looked pretty good.

Boudge
06-25-2009, 09:26 AM
I hope we get rid of those bland grey jerseys and replace them with the pink.....

Redcoe15
06-25-2009, 09:30 AM
I'd like to see a third kit that has a white jersey with red sleeves. Kinda resembling the Canadian flag. :canada:

Jay P
06-25-2009, 10:38 AM
I hope we get rid of those bland grey jerseys and replace them with the pink.....

I love the grey jerseys.. and after last night I want a pink one too... serously its like the hart foundation!

Shaughno
06-25-2009, 10:40 AM
yes they were close in colour, but it wasn't hard to follow the action.

That's cause you had your fucking back to the sun bitch! I couldn't tell who played for who for most of the fucking game! :lol:

rocker
06-25-2009, 10:43 AM
i had some trouble with the lack of colour contrast between teams. ya need more contrast!

Yohan
06-25-2009, 11:11 AM
I love the grey jerseys.. and after last night I want a pink one too... serously its like the hart foundation!
no one can make pink so bad ass like Bret 'The Hitman' Hart

I still wanted to puke, but those pink jerseys weren't as disastrous as I thought

Jay P
06-25-2009, 11:28 AM
no one can make pink so bad ass like Bret 'The Hitman' Hart

I still wanted to puke, but those pink jerseys weren't as disastrous as I thought

Dero can!

TFC hart foundation

Dero = hitman
Serioux= the anvil
Dichio= british bulldog
Barrett = the nugget.

Yohan
06-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Dero can!

TFC hart foundation

Dero = hitman
Serioux= the anvil
Dichio= british bulldog
Barrett = the nugget.
well, Barrett does kind remind me of Brian Pillman...

Roogsy
06-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Wow....talk about 2 in the pink.

None in the stink!

Jay P
06-25-2009, 11:33 AM
well, Barrett does kind remind me of Brian Pillman...

naw barretts kinda like owen hart, wants to be the go to guy but can't get the job done on a reg. basis.

harmse would of been a great brian pillman lol loose cannon and all that.

Yohan
06-25-2009, 11:52 AM
naw barretts kinda like owen hart, wants to be the go to guy but can't get the job done on a reg. basis.

harmse would of been a great brian pillman lol loose cannon and all that.
ahahahaha

oh man. this is so true

Ruby do
06-25-2009, 11:50 PM
Wow....talk about 2 in the pink.

None in the stink!
nicely put roogs!!

robert32
06-26-2009, 12:49 PM
I posted this somewhere else, not here though. Got a nice shot of DeRo in pink

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robagarphotos/3659356362/

RedPatchRookie
06-26-2009, 11:00 PM
The women's jersey was $80 and the men's $120...!!!!!!!!! Had they lost the pink would have been pretty hard to take out there, but since it went our way, pink, red, blue green...whatever...TFC FOREVER...!!!!!!

:drum: :scarf: :drum:

apetimberlake
06-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Terrible.

I thought they looked good.
Similar to the old Juve away kits or Palarmo home jersey.

AL-MO
06-28-2009, 12:36 PM
I thought they looked good.
Similar to the old Juve away kits or Palarmo home jersey.

I posted that before the game. ;)

They didn't look as bad as I thought they would.

BUT...I am not in favour of the pink becoming any kind of alternate/3rd jersey.

apetimberlake
06-28-2009, 02:15 PM
I have noticed in Europe Pink is a popular 3rd jersey.
I am in favour of it.

acw
06-28-2009, 03:00 PM
i agree that 10% is pathetic considering the price of the jersey, but i kinda like how these ones look...

i'm female and i hated the pink women's jerseys last year & I don't particularly like the red women's jerseys this year either. i find them a bit too cheesecake for my taste..i wear a youth jersey & it works for me...

i'd get a youth pink one and wear it *but* for the games i'll stick to my red one (i like it better..it's autographed!) :)

flatpicker
06-28-2009, 05:04 PM
I just saw on the news Mayor David Miller wearing the pink jersey at the Pride Parade.
It's a multi-purpose shirt.
and Miller sure likes to rep TFC!

canadian_bhoy
09-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Couldn't help but think of the pink TFC jersey when I saw this trailer.
What an embarrassment that shirt was.

http://www.nfb.ca/film/pink_ribbons_inc_trailer/

Whoop
09-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Looks like a good movie.

Ribbons are attached to every cause now. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode.

DichioTFC
09-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Heard reasons why the breast cancer / pink ribbon thing was a scam awhile back. Apparently the big reason why companies use breast cancer campaigns overwhelmingly in favour of prostate cancer campaigns is because men don't respond to the marketing as well as women.