PDA

View Full Version : Michael McGlinchey to trial again?

Corpand
06-23-2009, 01:56 PM
A week or so outdated but a good read. He was offered a contract but MLS didnt agree with the terms. Now that he's free, maybe its time for another go?
http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/2009/06/14/i-was-on-top-of-the-world-playing-for-celtic-but-now-i-d-be-happy-playing-anywhere-says-michael-mcglinchey-78057-21439778/

Also rumored by UltraSuperMegaMo that he might be coming over again.

Thoughts?

http://www.4thegame.com/media/00/03/58/mcglinchey_michael_cfc_profile_2006.jpg

TFC07
06-23-2009, 02:01 PM
To be honest, I don't know who this player is and what he is capable of doing on pitch.

Nuvinho
06-23-2009, 02:01 PM
a development contract....interesting

Alarius
06-23-2009, 02:02 PM
"They want me to go over for another trial but I can't afford to pay for flights again with no guarantee of a deal. I just want to play and definitely feel I'm good enough to be at that level or SPL."
Doesn't sound like he is willing to come over for another trial...

Nuvinho
06-23-2009, 02:02 PM
To be honest, I don't know who this player is and what he is capable of doing on pitch.

He was here during pre-season. Did pretty well, I think he scored a goal or two.

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-23-2009, 02:13 PM
He can play wide or central midfield. He’d come in handy in terms of our lack of wide players and our potential loss of central players due to international callups.

Cambridge_Red
06-23-2009, 02:21 PM
They would make him pay for his flight over? Sounds a bit harsh really..

prizby
06-23-2009, 02:23 PM
if u want him (TFC), pay for it (flight)

Troll
06-23-2009, 02:23 PM
If they've had him over already during the pre-season, then why make the kid come back for another trial only a few months later?

Time to put up or shut-up, let's stop wasting everybodies time here.

BakaGaijin
06-23-2009, 03:01 PM
They would make him pay for his flight over? Sounds a bit harsh really..

It's probably related to one of those silly MLS rules. You know, like the one that says we can't send our players to away matches on private flights, or that we cannot pay for a players accomodation when in town.

It must be related to compensation or something.

TOBOR !
06-23-2009, 03:30 PM
he looks like a muppet

Don Julio
06-23-2009, 04:49 PM
I wonder if they would be allowed to pay for it only if they didn't sign him - then he wouldn't be a player anyway, so no conflict?

BayernTFC
06-23-2009, 07:03 PM
He was here during pre-season. Did pretty well, I think he scored a goal or two.
He scored for us against the U.S. U-20 team:

http://www.tribalfootball.com/celtic-winger-mcglinchey-impressing-toronto-fc-trials-226696

Lucky Strike
06-23-2009, 07:11 PM
A week or so outdated but a good read. He was offered a contract but MLS didnt agree with the terms. Now that he's free, maybe its time for another go?
http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/2009/06/14/i-was-on-top-of-the-world-playing-for-celtic-but-now-i-d-be-happy-playing-anywhere-says-michael-mcglinchey-78057-21439778/

Also rumored by UltraSuperMegaMo that he might be coming over again.

Thoughts?

http://www.4thegame.com/media/00/03/58/mcglinchey_michael_cfc_profile_2006.jpg

Sounds like he's had tough luck. I don't really know anything about him but his desperation to play anywhere would make him extremely motivated to perform well.

BayernTFC
06-23-2009, 07:45 PM
He can play wide or central midfield. He’d come in handy in terms of our lack of wide players and our potential loss of central players due to international callups.
I think so as well. We play much too narrowly and we could use a winger who can stretch defenses and deliver consistent balls into the box. I don't know much about this player and I don't really follow the SPL, but what I have read suggests that McGlinchey is comfortable in the midfield and attack.

He doesn't have much of a track record to study because he hasn't played very much in the last few years. McGlinchey has played eight games for a Scottish first division team in 07/08 and he has struggled to get time in Celtic's reserve squad:

But at a club like Celtic there are very few opportunities to play in the top team and I've even found myself struggling to get a game in the reserves.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2009/01/29/i-won-t-be-last-wonder-kid-to-not-make-the-grade-says-celtic-flop-michael-mcglinchey-86908-21079907/

McGlinchey is a talented young player who needs another chance to resurrect his career. He's only 22 and it sounds like he is hungry to play. I think this is the type of player we should be taking a stab at. What McGlinchey needs is minutes on the field and what we need is a reliable attacking option that changes our look. He certainly couldn't provide us with anything less than what we were getting from Johann Smith or Rohan Ricketts this season and he should come much cheaper.

jloome
06-24-2009, 01:50 AM
Another Celtic washout worth looking at is Chris Killen, the former Oldham striker. Good finisher, but won't get much time at Celtic and was pissed he went on a loan last year, then didn't get to play.

BayernTFC
06-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Another Celtic washout worth looking at is Chris Killen, the former Oldham striker. Good finisher, but won't get much time at Celtic and was pissed he went on a loan last year, then didn't get to play.
It's an interesting thought, but I don't see it happening:

"I would love to come back at some stage and possibly finish my career in Wellington, but not right now," the 27-year-old said. "I'm in no hurry to leave. Celtic is such a great club and I'm just not ready to leave at the moment."http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/2477951/Killen-says-no-to-Phoenix

He's under contract with Celtic for another year.

torontocelt
06-24-2009, 03:08 PM

I was thinking the same thing the other day actually. To be fair to Killen he is one of the worst strikers I have ever seen play for Celtic, he has been abysmal for the hoops and way out of his depth. He did however have one good season with hibs where he banged in about 22 goals or so, it is fair to say that he is pretty much a one season wonder. He is definitely not Celtic quality although he may be able ot do a job in the MLS. If I could get him on loan for half a season to see what he could do then I would take it from there. He may want to stay at Celtic just now as he may have been signed for Hibs by Mowbray, they were certainly there at about the same time.

BayernTFC
06-24-2009, 03:24 PM
McGlinchey may not be coming here after all:

PARTICK THISTLE may be set to hand former Celtic starlet Michael McGlinchey a career lifeline. The 22-year-old joined the Jags for the opening day of their pre-season at Lochinch where he was put through his paces along with the rest of the first-team squad by Thistle assistant Gerry Britton.
Also present was former Hibs striker Damon Gray, who had two successful loan spells with the Jags over the last two seasons, but it is the inclusion of the once highly touted McGlinchey that will intrigue Firhill fans.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2516220.0.mcglinchey_and_gray_on_trial _as_jags_scour_talent.php

Partick Thistle is a team in the Scottish First Division:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partick_Thistle_F.C.

Toronto_Bhoy
06-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Killen never impressed me even before he came to Celtic…which was a head shaker from the go.

Has been really beaten by the injury bug…not sure he's the answer…

BayernTFC
06-24-2009, 03:30 PM
He may want to stay at Celtic just now as he may have been signed for Hibs by Mowbray, they were certainly there at about the same time.
Yes, he wants to be "reunited with his former Hibs boss":

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11787_5364645,00.html

BayernTFC
07-04-2009, 04:13 PM
I think that McGlinchey scored for Partick Thistle in their closed door match today. He is on trial with Partick and was supposed to get some game time. Partick has mentioned that a trialist striker scored for them:

Thistle though did take a 1-0 lead into the half-time break with a goal in the 38th minute. Stephen McKeown touched the ball to the trialist striker at the edge of the box and his low shot found the corner of the net.
Team: Tuffey, Robertson, Twaddle (Maxwell), Corrigan, Archibald, Paton, Rowson (Erskine), McKeown (Cairney), Buchanan (Doolan), Trialist (Gray), Hodge (Little).http://www.ptfc.co.uk/news/2009-2010/july_2009/partick_thistle_4_cowdenbeath_1

"Michael is here too and will be involved in the initial games while Simon is a player I know from his time at Dundee when I was assistant to Jim Duffy.http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/sfl/2009/06/25/as-new-faces-start-pre-season-training-at-partick-thistle-boss-ian-mccall-promises-more-signings-86908-21469749/

http://images.newsquest.co.uk/image.php?id=1105983&type=full

Partick Thistle trialist Michael McGlinchey is put through his paces
Pictures: Marc Turner http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/largeimage.php?imid=1105983

bhoybobby
07-05-2009, 10:47 AM

This shithead was a long term injury guy that Celtic stuck by, he got fit, then fucked off to play in some optional games for Australia, a self centred shit head:scarf:

torontocelt
07-05-2009, 03:03 PM
This shithead was a long term injury guy that Celtic stuck by, he got fit, then fucked off to play in some optional games for Australia, a self centred shit head:scarf:

That isn't true at all. Killen has played for Celtic whenever called upon, it just so happens that he is crap. He hardly played at all last season due to him being crap and he was even loaned out to Norwich City which he agreed to just so that he could get first team football. He barely played at Norwich though and was returned to Celtic when he got injured I think? He is also a New Zealander not Australian. Any first team football he picks up is of benefit to Celtic as it will keep him sharp if we need him and it will also put him in the shop window.

bhoybobby
07-05-2009, 09:09 PM
That isn't true at all. Killen has played for Celtic whenever called upon, it just so happens that he is crap. He hardly played at all last season due to him being crap and he was even loaned out to Norwich City which he agreed to just so that he could get first team football. He barely played at Norwich though and was returned to Celtic when he got injured I think? He is also a New Zealander not Australian. Any first team football he picks up is of benefit to Celtic as it will keep him sharp if we need him and it will also put him in the shop window.

I stand corrected on the New Zealander, he did bugger off for Olympic qualifying after being sidelined by injury while at Celtic, that did not indear him to Strachan. It galled him that he was unavailable for selection due to injury, then took flight when the squad was short. That is indeed true.

Anyway, not up to snuff, onlt good spell he had was at Hibs before he snapped his achilles

BayernTFC
07-06-2009, 12:02 PM
According to the Glaswegian, it wasn't McGlinchey who scored for Partick Thistle on Saturday against Cowdenbeath, but another former Celtic player on trial. Diarmuid O'Carroll:

But it was another new face who opened the scoring on Saturday - trialist Diarmuid O'Carroll formerly of Celtic.

The bustling frontman did his chances of landing a Thistle contract no harm with a determined display which included his 38th minute strike.
http://www.theglaswegian.co.uk/football/partick-thistle-fc/partick-thistle-news/2009/07/06/partick-thistle-latest-new-boy-bryan-hodge-looked-the-real-deal-in-friendly-win-102692-21498677/

druid
07-06-2009, 02:43 PM
McGlinchey was a pretty hot prospect at one time. As a youth Man Utd and Liverpool were in the fight for his signature.

He did well in Celtic's youth program, in the reserves, and then put in a couple of appearances for the first team. IIRC he got an assist and perhaps one goal. Was then banished by a manager with a penchant for binning players for unknown reasons. Under the circumstances, McGlinchey probably should have left a Celtic earlier then he did. Now he's trying to resuscitate his career.

There's probably a slim chance he could turn out to be quite a decent MLS striker.

BayernTFC
07-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Under the circumstances, McGlinchey probably should have left a Celtic earlier then he did. Now he's trying to resuscitate his career.

There's probably a slim chance he could turn out to be quite a decent MLS striker.
He was on loan at Dunfermline for 8 games before getting injured and sent back to Celtic early. From what I have read, he was mainly used as a sub at Dunfermline and didn't get enough playing time to make a significant impression. Bringing players over to North America from other leagues around the world to play in the MLS is a gamble. MLS transfer rules are weird, there is a restrictive salary cap and rosters are small. There is plenty of competiton for good players and not all players will even consider the MLS. Risks have to be taken to strengthen your squad. What McGlinchey has going for him is that he is still young and relatively untested. He needs to find a place that will give him playing time.

BayernTFC
07-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Both of Partick Thistle's goals today against Queen's Park FC were from trialists. Three trialists started for Partick and one was a substitution:

It took Thistle just six minutes to level the scores. Kris Doolan and Chris Erskine combined to set up one of the three trialists that started the game and he made no mistake with a low shot.

Thistle had to wait, however, until the 77th minute to score what proved to be the game's winning. The trialist number 10 created the opening for himself before finding the net with a powerful finish.

Team: Hinchcliffe, Paton (McGeough), Twaddle, Little, Maxwell, Rowson (Hodge), Trialist (Cairney), Trialist (Trialist), Trialist (Bannigan), Doolan, Erskine
http://www.ptfc.co.uk/news/2009-2010/july_2009/queens_park_1_partick_thistle_2

BayernTFC
07-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Mcglinchey has now left Partick Thistle and is said to be headed for Australia to find work:

PARTICK THISTLE won't be signing ex-Celtic starlet Michael McGlinchey after the New Zealand-born striker decided to head Down Under in search of a club.

McGlinchey, right, had spent the first two weeks of pre-season training with the Jags after being freed by Celtic in May.

But the 22-year-old playmaker has decided to take the chance on a trip to Australia where he hopes to win a deal with Central Coast Mariners.

http://www.theglaswegian.co.uk/football/partick-thistle-fc/partick-thistle-news/2009/07/08/no-partick-thistle-deal-for-mcglinchey-gray-as-duo-head-off-in-search-of-club-102692-21503658/

Ossington Mental Youth
07-08-2009, 11:03 AM
bit ridiculous we cant even fly him over (im assuming from whats been said)

BayernTFC
07-08-2009, 01:10 PM
bit ridiculous we cant even fly him over (im assuming from whats been said)
Well, those comments stem from the quotes taken in the article posted by Corpand in his OP:

When McGlinchey knew his time was up at Parkhead, ex-Hoops striker Mo Johnston invited him for a trial in Toronto. Slated
But despite scoring and impressing boss John Carver, MLS red tape prevented him from signing for the Canadian club.
He said: "I played in three games, scored and did well. They offered me a development contract but MLS red tape put an end to it.
"We got in touch with Toronto recently to see if they were still interested although Carver has now left.
"They want me to go over for another trial but I can't afford to pay for flights again with no guarantee of a deal. I just want to play and definitely feel I'm good enough to be at that level or SPL."

It certainly doesn't seem as though McGlinchey is unwilling to travel for a chance at employment:

He said: "This is not something I was expecting but my agent Jim Harkins called me to say he had an interested party abroad.
"I was over in Portugal being best man at my brother's wedding so it's great news and an exciting opportunity. I'm up for the challenge and it's a case of having a look around the club and they will get the chance to look at me.
"I've never lost confidence in my ability so I'm going to give it a real go and see how things work out.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2009/07/08/celtic-reject-michael-mcglinchey-heads-down-under-in-search-of-a-deal-86908-21503438/

With only McGlinchey's comments to make judgments from, it would appear that the interest coming from Mo wasn't serious enough. Although, Central Coast Mariners didn't offer McGlinchey a firm deal before inviting him to their camp. Agents will use anything for leverage, so it is possible that Mo thought that McGlinchey and his agent were asking too high a price in initial discussions. Dealmaking is delicate. BakaGaijin made a very good point as well. MLS rules can be weird and may have prevented TFC from paying for accomodations. Can anyone enlighten us on that matter? Anyways, just because a player is trialing with a team, that doesn't necessarily mean that the player will ultimately sign there. Who knows whether other teams are tracking a particular player's performance while they are on trial with another team? Perhaps McGlinchey and his agent have been successful at parlaying his time at Partick Thistle into a serious opportunity with Central Coast Mariners? Maybe his time at CCM will just be a stopover before heading to greener pastures?

Agent
07-17-2009, 04:42 AM
1/He was not offered a professional contract after showing he was more than capable of playing at that level!
2/Mariners had offered a contract before he got on the flight!
3/Was asked to pay for a flight back over to you guys for another trial.....Bizzare!

4/Could have had a great player in your team!

BayernTFC
07-17-2009, 10:21 AM
2/Mariners had offered a contract before he got on the flight!
Was it guaranteed? I was under the impression that he was on trial with CCM and that he still had some convincing to do, no?

CENTRAL Coast Mariners trialist Michael McGlinchey has arrived Down Under to boost his club career but may yet find the door swinging open to a shot at the World Cup.

The former Celtic youngster will spend the next fortnight trying to convince the Gosford outfit that he would be a worthy addition to the squad but it isn't just Lawrie McKinna who is keeping a close watch on his progress. http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/107542,double-chance-for-mcglinchey.aspx

Please come back and let us know how Michael does against Gold Coast United tomorrow. I'll try to update RPB with any news that I can find.

BayernTFC
07-18-2009, 12:09 PM
2-2 draw between Central Coast Mariners and Gold Coast United. No goal(s) from McGlinchey:

"(Scottish trialist Michael McGlinchey) is here for another week and we were quite happy with him. I don’t think he spilled up the ball once, he was very tidy. He’d only done a week’s pre-season before he got here so I’m sure he’ll get better. It’s always good to get the ball and make things happen in midfield, so we were quite happy with him," McKinna said.

BayernTFC
07-25-2009, 03:15 PM
0-0 Draw between Central Coast Mariners and Wellington Phoenix today. McGlinchey played the whole game and was in on some of the action:

Trialist Michael McGlinchey was the next to create an opening, feeding Dean Heffernan in the left channel, Heffernan taking the ball to the byline, before having his cross cut out.

First Michael McGlinchey forced Mark Paston well out of his box, amid calls for handball, while Kwasnik perhaps should have finished the game off deep into inujury time, but Paston was once again brilliant in denying the yellow and navy, a scoreless draw confirmed.
http://www.ccmariners.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=28364

As you can see, McGlinchey still hasn't signed for CCM.

BayernTFC
07-27-2009, 02:24 PM
I thought that I would post an update. It sounds as if McGlinchey is close to signing with CCM:

On the playing front the Mariners have recruited Scotsman Chris Doig and are close to signing former Celtic youngster Michael McGlinchey.

"Doigy has come in at a good price and given us that leadership and experience we lacked at the back. McGlinchey's quite polished and tidy."
http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/108611,the-aleagues-scottish-invasion.aspx

BayernTFC
07-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Final update. McGlinchey has signed with CCM:

Central Coast have already signed three imports – Scottish defender Chris Doig, English midfielder Nicky Travis and New Zealand playmaker Michael McGlinchey – for this season, while the club hopes to add two more foreign strikers to its roster before the Augustth31 transfer deadline.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/football/a-league/boost-for-coast-as-bladesx2019-18bn-man-joins-board/2009/07/28/1248546727604.html

felipe
07-29-2009, 08:14 AM
more importantly, Doig is a former Forest player.

I wonder why McGlinchey didn't stick after his trial with TFC - I would of thought he'd have done well here...

celtic bhoy
10-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Thought you would like an update on michael mcglinchey, he has been named in the new zealand squad for the world cup play off against bahrain next week not bad for a lad your team thought not good enough . http://www.nzsoccer.com/plugins/newsfeed.cgi?rm=content&plugin_data_id=28775

Shaughno
10-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Andy Boyens was named to the roster as well... doesn't mean he's a great defender. :lol:

Pigfynn
10-01-2009, 03:13 PM
^^Why? Andrew Boyens plays for New Zealand as well and he wasn't good enough either. New Zealand is a poor team.

Edit: what Jay said

Dunkers
10-01-2009, 04:55 PM
bgmvJgZS4mw

Skip to the 4:55 min mark to see how awsome Andy Boyens is while playing for NZ

and i think i got a glimpse of what the coach was writing after that goal...

"note: the red bulls are shite!!!!"

TorontoBlades
10-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Sounds like he's had tough luck. I don't really know anything about him but his desperation to play anywhere would make him extremely motivated to perform well.

I'm pretty desperate to play pro footy...how you reckon I'd perform on the pitch for TFC :rolleyes:

celtic bhoy
02-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Anyone remember this guy trialing for TFC a few years back he was a team mate of Ryan Nelson at the 2010 world cup would he be a good additon to the squad .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9A4KmdXJV8

Derko
02-17-2013, 05:21 PM
I'm pretty desperate to play pro footy...how you reckon I'd perform on the pitch for TFC :rolleyes:

They don't use Blades in Football, lol :drinking:

Yohan
02-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Anyone remember this guy trialing for TFC a few years back he was a team mate of Ryan Nelson at the 2010 world cup would he be a good additon to the squad .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9A4KmdXJV8
I watched few games of A League with McGlinchey playing. Not worth signing IMO