PDA

View Full Version : Gerba Signs - Official Announcement

Batman
06-23-2009, 10:00 AM
http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090617&content_id=5371830&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Toronto FC announced Tuesday that the club has signed Canadian international forward Ali Gerba. Due to international transfer rules, Gerba will not be available to Toronto FC until the MLS transfer window opens on July 15, 2009. As per team policy, financial details were not released.

"We are very happy to get Ali in here and under contract," said manager, director of soccer Mo Johnston. "Ali is a very strong player, he's quick, he's got an eye for goal and he's someone that will help us down the stretch. We've tried to get him in here before - and he's shown a real desire to play here, so we're looking forward to getting him on the pitch with the rest of the squad."

Fort York Redcoat
06-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Debut vs Houston? Man, hurry up already.

Ageroo
06-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Aww yeah......GERBA!

Parkdale
06-23-2009, 10:03 AM
sweet!

time for some goals!

InTheCrowd
06-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Gerba!! Finally, things are going to change.

:drum::drum::scarf::drum::drum:

Nodoubtguy
06-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Ali Gerbaye!!!

cementhead
06-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Yes!Another striker and it a done deal.What took so long!LOL !

Ageroo
06-23-2009, 10:10 AM
I still don't understand how transfer rules apply in this scenario......but at least it is finally done.

TFC Cityboy
06-23-2009, 10:10 AM
boyakasha!!!! Ali G is in da house!

billyfly
06-23-2009, 10:11 AM
I hope he proves to be as good as we hope he will be. I might even forgive that he's from Montreal if he's any good.

Corpand
06-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Ye baby!

trane
06-23-2009, 10:26 AM
I am glad it is done. Waiting untill July 15, is a bit of a disapointment, but there is not much that can be done about that.

gtaguy
06-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Excellent news ... now we have more options with him and soon to be ready obrian white..
I wonder what Paul Winsper thinks of Ali g's conditioning..

dclaro
06-23-2009, 10:33 AM
its turning into the toronto lynx reunion, dero, serioux, gerba, this team is going to have a lot of heart

Yohan
06-23-2009, 10:36 AM
I still don't understand how transfer rules apply in this scenario......but at least it is finally done.
yeah really.

just as you thought you had MLS rules figured out... not :p

I really hope Gerba delivers :)

Lucky Strike
06-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Excellent, can't wait to see him in action!

Flashman
06-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Excellent news ... now we have more options with him and soon to be ready obrian white..
I wonder what Paul Winsper thinks of Ali g's conditioning..

I wonder if he is able to immediately, or in the next few days, begin working with Paul? Or is he off limits completely till the 15th? I am sure Paul would at least be giving him a workout plan he can follow at home....I wonder if Ali will even read it, or will he eat it. lol

Danny says "Eat it!"

billyfly
06-23-2009, 10:44 AM
its turning into the toronto lynx reunion, dero, serioux, gerba, this team is going to have a lot of heart

We're only missing Joe Mattacchione. Joe, quit being a HS gym teacher and get back here!

Lucky Strike
06-23-2009, 10:45 AM
I wonder if he is able to immediately, or in the next few days, begin working with Paul? Or is he off limits completely till the 15th? I am sure Paul would at least be giving him a workout plan he can follow at home....I wonder if Ali will even read it, lol

A few days ago, he was training with the team so I don't think that'll be a problem.

DangerRed
06-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Gotta hand it to the FO and Mo on this one -- our defence was a little patchy, so they brought in Garcia.

Barrett and Vitti were taking turns effing the dog, so they brought in Ali G.

There's another spot open and I hope we see something else worth talking about in fairly short order.

Feeling good about our playoff hopes right now, and obviously can't wait to see what Ali G is capable of.

GO REDS!!!!
:scarf::scarf::scarf:

Ageroo
06-23-2009, 10:46 AM
I wonder if he is able to immediately, or in the next few days, begin working with Paul? Or is he off limits completely till the 15th? I am sure Paul would at least be giving him a workout plan he can follow at home....I wonder if Ali will even read it, lol

As far as I know he is working out with the team....he was at the open practice was he not. I assume he has already been run through all Winsper protocol. He would have had to pass a physical before signing. So he can't be in Fred Flinstone shape....

Lucky Strike
06-23-2009, 10:47 AM
I am glad it is done. Waiting untill July 15, is a bit of a disapointment, but there is not much that can be done about that.

Not as much as you think. Remember he's going to the Gold Cup so we'd have missed him for a while anyway. He'll be able to use those matches to get him into game shape for TFC.

Corpand
06-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Ofcourse, check out TFC TV for his interview. Finally solves the mystery of the hooded man.

Plus during the little snippet of him training, he looks like a BEAST. Shows nothing of his soccer skills though. Hope he impresses.
Wonder what this means for Vitti with O'White and Gerba starting soon

Lucky Strike
06-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Ofcourse, check out TFC TV for his interview. Finally solves the mystery of the hooded man.

Plus during the little snippet of him training, he looks like a BEAST. Shows nothing of his soccer skills though. Hope he impresses.
Wonder what this means for Vitti with O'White and Gerba starting soon

Provided we don't extra cap space for another move down the road, he'll stay for the rest of the year, but with limited playing time. But after that, I doubt he'd be brought back. At best, he'll be just one of many options Mo will look at.

olegunnar
06-23-2009, 10:51 AM

It's a blessing in disguise. It'll give him more time to try and get fit

Ossington Mental Youth
06-23-2009, 10:54 AM
I hope he proves to be as good as we hope he will be. I might even forgive that he's from Montreal if he's any good.

you adn me both

Nuvinho
06-23-2009, 10:56 AM
We need 2 more players tho.

brad
06-23-2009, 10:57 AM
A few days ago, he was training with the team so I don't think that'll be a problem.

It's not a problem. A player can't play in a competitive match due to transfer restrictions. If he was attached to another club until then, they would likely have a say in the matter, but he isn't.

Lucky Strike
06-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Interesting note that's kind of off-topic but not at the same time. I edited the TFC wiki to add Gerba and noticed that someone put in that our sister club is Everton (but this doesn't appear on the page itself, only when you see the coding when you click to edit the page). Weird, no? Anyone know anything?

trane
06-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Not as much as you think. Remember he's going to the Gold Cup so we'd have missed him for a while anyway. He'll be able to use those matches to get him into game shape for TFC.

Good point. Having him game ready will be good. We will need him on the road.

Pachuco
06-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Good news. Let's hope he can create as many chances as Barrett and bag three times as many

TFC07
06-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Interesting note that's kind of off-topic but not at the same time. I edited the TFC wiki to add Gerba and noticed that someone put in that our sister club is Everton (but this doesn't appear on the page itself, only when you see the coding when you click to edit the page). Weird, no? Anyone know anything?

Interesting, but I heard OSA are partners with Everton. Maybe the person who edited the page got TFC confuse with OSA???

Steve
06-23-2009, 11:10 AM

Then let me enlighten you friend!

As far as FIFA is concerned, a "transfer window" is actually a registration period. That is to say, players may only be registered during one of two FIFA mandated periods in the season (start of season and middle). The exception to this is players who are out of contract.

Now, you might say "but Steve, surely you know Gerba is out of contract, so that exception should apply!". Not quite. Actually, the exception only applies to players who have been released prior to the end of the registration period for the league they are going to. Confused yet?

So, to use Gerba as an example. Since MLS has a registration period of Jan 15 to Apr 15, if Gerba had been released by MK dons before Apr 15, he would have been eligable to sign for TFC whenever he wanted to. However, since he was not released until May, he cannot now be registered in MLS until the beginning of our next transfer window, which is to say July 15. If this wasn't the case, clubs could just completely ignore windows, by releasing a player and allowing another team to sign them outside of the window.

S_D
06-23-2009, 11:12 AM
I wonder if MLS got any adjustments to his contract as the rumour was they were holding up the signing.

If the rumour was correct, sure sounded to me like he only wanted to play here if he couldn't hook up in Europe, and had an out to let him play there if he got an option in the future. Anyone know?

Lucky Strike
06-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Then let me enlighten you friend!

As far as FIFA is concerned, a "transfer window" is actually a registration period. That is to say, players may only be registered during one of two FIFA mandated periods in the season (start of season and middle). The exception to this is players who are out of contract.

Now, you might say "but Steve, surely you know Gerba is out of contract, so that exception should apply!". Not quite. Actually, the exception only applies to players who have been released prior to the end of the registration period for the league they were in. Confused yet?

So, to use Gerba as an example. Since league one has a registration period of Jan 1 to Feb 2, if Gerba had been released by MK dons before Feb 2, he would have been eligable to sign for TFC whenever he wanted to. However, since he was not released until May, he cannot now be registered in MLS until the beginning of our next transfer window, which is to say July 15. If this wasn't the case, clubs could just completely ignore windows, by releasing a player and allowing another team to sign them outside of the window.

Very interesting, thanks!

Lucky Strike
06-23-2009, 11:15 AM
I wonder if MLS got any adjustments to his contract as the rumour was they were holding up the signing.

If the rumour was correct, sure sounded to me like he only wanted to play here if he couldn't hook up in Europe, and had an out to let him play there if he got an option in the future. Anyone know?

No, but I'd be very eager to know as well. Who finally relented?

Luanda
06-23-2009, 11:24 AM
We need 2 more players tho.

YUP. The TFC roster is currently 22, including Gerba.

SilverSamurai
06-23-2009, 11:27 AM
As far as I know he is working out with the team....he was at the open practice was he not. I assume he has already been run through all Winsper protocol. He would have had to pass a physical before signing. So he can't be in Fred Flinstone shape....

You make it sound like he's Oliver Miller...
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1320/1408067140_236dc13920.jpg

Anyways I'm glad he's here. Hopefully he'll do his part and start bagging goals for TFC.

rocker
06-23-2009, 11:29 AM
so after tomorrow, there's only 1 game until July 11. That should give the roster time to rest (Serioux needs it). Then depending on the Gold Cup run for Canada, Gerba could be back and in shape and ready to roll with a rested TFC for late-July.

jloome
06-23-2009, 11:33 AM
so after tomorrow, there's only 1 game until July 11. That should give the roster time to rest (Serioux needs it). Then depending on the Gold Cup run for Canada, Gerba could be back and in shape and ready to roll with a rested TFC for late-July.

Dude, that's the most positive was of saying "he'll miss the next three league games" anyone could have ever proferred.:D

Inklink
06-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Heh, was just about to post that hooded mystery man comment :D.

James17930
06-23-2009, 11:42 AM
You know, a lot of people have cautioned against putting too much stock in him or treating him like the saviour etc, but I honestly have this feeling that he's going to come in here and kick some massive ass.

Sure he's transfered around a lot, but maybe that just means we're getting him at the right time. 27 -- almost perfect age for a striker.

I think he's going to score at least 10 goals to finish off the year.

Ageroo
06-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Heh, was just about to post that hooded mystery man comment :D.

It was not a mystery to me........why did no one believe me when I said it was Gerba. Is it because I ride in the back of the bus with Rosa Parks? ;)

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Lets hope Mo finally gets his credit insted of the constant critisism that has been headed his way....we are stronger then we were at the start of the season, were off
to the champions league...and with luck a playoff spot....well done MoJo

SpiderRunner
06-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Did anyone watch the highlights of his goals? They were wicked. And a lot of them were on the first touch. Something we've been lacking.

C.Ronaldo
06-23-2009, 12:06 PM
he's only 5-11"

whats so BEAST about him?

He used to be ripped, whats he look like now?

C.Ronaldo
06-23-2009, 12:10 PM
he looks like he has a cannon for a leg.

he seems to enjoying ripping a hole in the net

rocker
06-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Did anyone watch the highlights of his goals? They were wicked. And a lot of them were on the first touch. Something we've been lacking.

i do like his quick shot.. he seems to have good quick reactions when in close. None of this "I'm gonna think about what to do with this nice ball placed right on my foot" attitude.

he also seems very strong if not particularly tall.

stretchthetruth
06-23-2009, 12:23 PM
he's only 5-11"

whats so BEAST about him?

He used to be ripped, whats he look like now?

i saw him practice on the weekend... when they came out and started, you could tell he was a presence on the field... during the finishing/shot taking drills it was hard to look anywhere else, a couple of sweet touches during the scrimmage as well...

i'm not saying he's going to be the next coming, but he definitely has an air about him, and i get the feeling his size and strength will be effective in holding off defenders. the trip to the gold cup will hopefully get him match fit...

Oldtimer
06-23-2009, 12:30 PM
It was not a mystery to me........why did no one believe me when I said it was Gerba. Is it because I ride in the back of the bus with Rosa Parks? ;)

Not at all. It's just that some of us believe everyone, others of us believe no one (until the player's holding the jersey), and others like me hope you're right, but aren't sure.

Technorgasm
06-23-2009, 12:39 PM
http://content.imagesocket.com/thumbs/aligerba0cf.gif (http://www.imagesocket.com/view/aligerba0cf.gif)

Rudi
06-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Good news. Let's hope he can create as many chances as Barrett and bag three times as many
Gerba will create a fraction of the chances that Barrett does, but finish 2-3x as many.

Gerba is a poacher, plain and simple.

Inklink
06-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Hey I had an idea it was him. Just saying it was mysterious to some people.

BTW, they seemed to have removed that "hooded" interview from Montreal. Maybe he looked WAY too stoned in it. :)

Broadview
06-23-2009, 01:38 PM

So where can we buy an "Ageroo Tells No Lies" T-Shirt?

I want one with "Plourde" and the number 9 on the back.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Great signing... but does this now make Barrett surplus to requirements?

bertal
06-23-2009, 02:21 PM
i guess the the new #10

billyfly
06-23-2009, 02:25 PM
http://content.imagesocket.com/thumbs/aligerba0cf.gif (http://www.imagesocket.com/view/aligerba0cf.gif)

Tax Da Panty....:hump:

bhoybobby
06-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Lets hope Mo finally gets his credit insted of the constant critisism that has been headed his way....we are stronger then we were at the start of the season, were off
to the champions league...and with luck a playoff spot....well done MoJo

Thanks for bagging a journeyman who can't stick at a club, well done Mo

ExiledRed
06-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks for bagging a journeyman who can't stick at a club, well done Mo

It's not like the fans had never heard of him and haven't been calling for his signature for a while, though.

Seriously, If I had to live in Milton Keynes, I'd play like a depressed mule too. I'm hoping we get the CMNT Gerba and not the league one Gerba.

bhoybobby
06-23-2009, 11:33 PM
It's not like the fans had never heard of him and haven't been calling for his signature for a while, though.

Seriously, If I had to live in Milton Keynes, I'd play like a depressed mule too. I'm hoping we get the CMNT Gerba and not the league one Gerba.

LMAO.

No doubt the lad will be a better option than Barrett. I was hoping for a better class player though, someone worthy of a D.P slot.

I'll be cheering for the lad, hopefully he contributes to us making the play-offs

Beach_Red
06-24-2009, 08:40 AM
LMAO.

No doubt the lad will be a better option than Barrett. I was hoping for a better class player though, someone worthy of a D.P slot.

I'll be cheering for the lad, hopefully he contributes to us making the play-offs

Yes, as long as the stupid DP rule is in the league, we should use it.

I don't know about dangling ten million bucks in front of JDG, though........

jloome
06-24-2009, 11:08 AM

I went to school near there as a kid in the '70s, when it was just a depressing town, not a depressing city.:rolleyes:

The knock on him has been fitness. Apparently, he didn't really get a look at his Scandinavian clubs, except when on loan at Horsens, in Denmark, where he struggled a bit and wasn't quite one-in-three. The Dons fans on their chat boards said he came in unfit, but once fit -- my impression was after about six weeks -- he tore the place up finishing.

They said he looked lethargic, he didn't move much, but he was always in the right place at the right time to score. He had the best strike rate on the team and those 10 goals came in 16 starts.

If you watch his youtube videos, his release is really quick. He just decides and plugs it.

All adds up to, maybe, a poacher hitting his prime. I think he's exactly what we need. A lot of the crap that we've been missing, he'd probably put in. And his 1-in-2.9 strike rate since 2004 is a tad better than Barrett's 1-in-6.something.

jloome
06-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Eek. His Dons bio also says he's 5-10, 198 pounds.

Hope he lifts a lot of weights.

rocker
06-24-2009, 11:28 AM
i'm pretty resigned to the fact most players in MLS have some key flaws.. seems his is fitness/weight. but as long as he finishes obvious chances, I'll be happy.
his resume scares me a bit... but at least he should be in his comfort zone, being in Toronto and with buddies like De Ro. no excuses here i think.
gotta be better than barrett right?

brad
06-24-2009, 11:37 AM

As long as the rest of the team is creating chances for him to finish, I think so.

I would hope he is good at holding the ball up as well.

Oh, at 5'10" near 200, he's gonna be a fat bastard.

Rudi
06-24-2009, 11:52 AM
He's not fat.

brad
06-24-2009, 11:54 AM
He's not fat.

Good to hear - he must be built like a bloody tank if those stats are accurate.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-24-2009, 11:58 AM
i'm pretty resigned to the fact most players in MLS have some key flaws.. seems his is fitness/weight. but as long as he finishes obvious chances, I'll be happy.
his resume scares me a bit... but at least he should be in his comfort zone, being in Toronto and with buddies like De Ro. no excuses here i think.

Good point, i dont see DeRo letting him get away with doing nothing, that being said im still a bit nervous, hope to fuck he proves me wrong

InTheCrowd
06-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Gerba is a big guy for a player in this sport. But don't let that fool you, he is still a good striker and what this team needs.

bhoybobby
06-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Gerba is a big guy for a player in this sport. But don't let that fool you, he is still a good striker and what this team needs.

Hope you're right, 'cause it looks like he's fooled no one at the umpteen other clubs he's tried his luck at.