PDA

View Full Version : Houston Dynamo Stadium Done Deal

kodiakTFC
06-23-2009, 12:52 AM
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss169/mlsrumors/250212-0-0-1.jpg

With months of arduous back-and-forth negotiations now completed and financing options falling into place, only minor hurdles remain before construction could begin this fall on the proposed Houston Dynamo downtown stadium.

Oliver Luck, president of the Major League Soccer team, says although he did not expect the deal to drag out this long, he never believed the project would be derailed since serious discussions began with the city 18 months ago.

“Considering the downtown location, the growth of the sport and the changing (racial) demographics in this city, and the fact that the team was going to carry the preponderance of risk — unlike the other big sports stadiums in town that were mostly publicly financed — I really was never dismayed during the whole process,” Luck says. “How long it took is a different story, but now I feel we’re close.”

At least three or more undisclosed banks have submitted term sheets to finance the bulk of the stadium’s construction costs, with separate negotiations on the books to provide financing for the Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone, or TIRZ, the six-block area in which the stadium would be built within a stone’s throw of Minute Maid Park.

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/06/stadiums-houston-dynamo-stadium-deal.html

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2009/06/22/story4.html

James Oliphant
06-23-2009, 01:52 AM
Actually, it says in the original article that it's not yet a "done deal", but it is getting close.

Thanks for the link.

kodiakTFC
06-23-2009, 01:53 AM
Actually, it says in the original article that it's not yet a "done deal", but it is getting close.

Thanks for the link.

Ahh mlsr and their assumptions.

James Oliphant
06-23-2009, 01:58 AM
There's a reason Usector refers to it as "some shite website." ;)

James17930
06-23-2009, 04:07 AM
Well, looks about 95% done anyway. And his new pic is a massive improvement over the original rendering they released.

Good news for Houston and MLS.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-23-2009, 04:35 AM
yep congrats to some decent supporters, i seem to think they get good numbers no?
im sure this will help too

Dirk Diggler
06-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Well, looks about 95% done anyway. And his new pic is a massive improvement over the original rendering they released.

LOL I remember the original rendering. It was just four identical stands with no roof or facade whatsoever. It looked hideous and I felt sorry for the Houston fans. Thankfully they are getting a better stadium than that.

kodiakTFC
06-23-2009, 12:51 PM
yep congrats to some decent supporters, i seem to think they get good numbers no?
im sure this will help too

They get an average of 16-17k and with a new stadium downtown they will probably rival us. Houston is one of the markets that is obviously working.

Inklink
06-23-2009, 01:09 PM
That's a beautiful looking stadium.. with filled in corners .. and a .. roof ... :o:scarf:

TFC247
06-23-2009, 01:24 PM
...and most importantly, no football lines. Please, dear Lord, no football lines...

rocker
06-23-2009, 01:30 PM
...and most importantly, no football lines. Please, dear Lord, no football lines...

well, a college football team is gonna play there.. Tulane University I think it is. Although it'll prob only be 4-5 games.

NF-FC
06-23-2009, 01:33 PM
LOL I remember the original rendering. It was just four identical stands with no roof or facade whatsoever. It looked hideous and I felt sorry for the Houston fans. Thankfully they are getting a better stadium than that.

I know the picture you are referring to but I don't think that was what the stadium was supposed to look like. I think that was a cut away shot, because there was another picture from the same time that showed the same facade we see in this new render.

TFC247
06-23-2009, 01:45 PM
well, a college football team is gonna play there.. Tulane University I think it is. Although it'll prob only be 4-5 games.

True, but this time it's other way around. College is now the tenant. Does it mean they will be playing football on soccer lines? Probably not. This is just my guess, but I think it'll be similar to the Pizza Hut Park and how they deal with the High School football. The football lines are there if you look hard enough, but no where near the mess that they got at Robertson though.

FluSH
06-23-2009, 01:47 PM
DeRo.................. NO REGRETS BABY!

Cannon
06-23-2009, 03:59 PM

Considering Tulane is located in New Orleans I don't think they'll be playing any games in this new stadium. :wink5:

Most likely they'll have some high school football.

Broadview
06-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Just as long as there's no lacrosse lines.

kodiakTFC
06-23-2009, 04:20 PM

This one.

http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/dynamo-stadium-khou-above.jpg

Shway
06-23-2009, 04:27 PM
this stadium looks like its going to have a capacity that holds 25k -30k

rocker
06-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Considering Tulane is located in New Orleans I don't think they'll be playing any games in this new stadium. :wink5:

Most likely they'll have some high school football.

oops, my bad... shouldn't depend on my memory. but it's not highschool football.

It's Texas Southern University (TSU -- knew it started with a T!), a college side that will be playing games at this soccer stadium.

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/khou090324_mh_dynamo-stadium.694b5ecd.html

this stadium looks like its going to have a capacity that holds 25k -30k

capacity is 21000.

the stadium is downtown but it's not a huge move. Robertson stadium is really close to their downtown too (almost as close as BMO is to union station)... the distance between Robertson and the new stadium is only about 5 kilometres... so it's not gonna suddenly attract surbanites that wouldn't drive out to the suburbs or whatever.
but it's close to the other stadiums and gonna be on a new public transit line.. and it's new and shiny and their own, so that's good.

TFC247
06-23-2009, 07:11 PM
It's Texas Southern University (TSU -- knew it started with a T!), a college side that will be playing games at this soccer stadium.

Like he said, some high school football team :D :D

Beach_Red
06-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Like he said, some high school football team :D :D

That stadium isn't big enough for a Texas high school football team :D.

I do like this, though:

“Considering the downtown location, the growth of the sport and the changing (racial) demographics in this city..."

ExiledRed
06-23-2009, 08:28 PM
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss169/mlsrumors/250212-0-0-1.jpg

This looks like one of those foil trays that lasagnes come in.