PDA

View Full Version : Gold Cup Squad - Confirmed

KRO
06-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Have I missed something here? This list is on the CSA site and the only TFC player on the roster for the goal cup is Kevin Harmse.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=3697

1- G- Greg Sutton | unattached / sans club
2- D- Adrian Cann | DEN / Esbjerg fB
3- D/M- Mike Klukowski | BEL / Club Brugge KV
4- D- André Hainault | USA / Houston Dynamo
6- M- Julian de Guzman | ESP / Deportivo La Coruna
5- D/F- Kevin McKenna | GER / 1. FC Köln
7- D/M- Paul Stalteri | GER / Borussia Mönchengladbach
8- M- Marcel de Jong | NED / Roda JC
9- F- Ali Gerba | unattached / sans club
10- M/F- Willi Johnson | USA / Real Salt Lake
11- D- Richard Hastings | SCO / Inverness CT
12- M- Issey Nakajima-Farran | DEN / FC Nordsjælland
13- M- Atiba Hutchinson | DEN / F.C. København
14- D- Dejan Jakovic | USA / DC United
15- M/F- Josh Simpson | GER / FC Kaiserslautern
16- F- Simeon Jackson | ENG / Gillingham FC
17- D/M- Jaime Peters | ENG / Ipswich Town FC
18- G- Joshua Wagenaar | ENG / Yeovil Town
19- D/M- Kevin Harmse | CAN / Toronto FC
20- M- Patrice Bernier | DEN / FC Nordsjælland
21- M- Chris Pozniak | SCO / Dundee FC
22- G- Kenny Stamatopoulos | NOR / FC Lyn Oslo (on loan from Tromsø I.L.)
23- F- Charles Gbeke | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Toronto Ruffrider
06-22-2009, 02:48 PM
^ Looks like the preliminary roster has been whittled down. We only have one call-up on that list, although that number will double when a certain unattached player signs with us.;) All in all, it looks like TFC will be okay for the Gold Cup.

prizby
06-22-2009, 02:56 PM
wow half those players weren't on the prelim roster..no besovic :(...we are gonna lose him soon!!!

my starting line up would be

----------------Wagenaar-----------------
Stalteri-Mckenna-Hastings/Jakovic-Klukowski
----------------de Guzman----------------
-----------Bernier-Hutchinson-De Jong-----
---------------Gerba-Jackson--------------

thoughts?

oppss forgot about de Guzman hahaha :S

Nuvinho
06-22-2009, 02:58 PM
^ De Guzman??

crozack
06-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Ya!....Where is Canada's best player?

The team will be lost without De Guzman

sulfur
06-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Everyone else is sending a B team, why not us? :)

prizby
06-22-2009, 03:25 PM
^we in a sense did

iansmcl
06-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Would've liked to see Begovic get capped... Attokora too, but I'm willing to wait for a less detrimental-to-TFC time for him.

devioustrevor
06-22-2009, 04:12 PM
I understand Begovic not being on this team. Near the end of the English season it was mentioned that James is going to miss some time early in the season and that since he's getting up there in age that the early part of the English season will be Begovic auditioning for the #1 spot post-James so he's going to want to come into camp fully rested and ready to go.

Kaz
06-22-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm kinda said about Nana, but I think he's better suited getting time on the Pitch with TFC's Starting XI then sitting on a bench.

Keegan
06-22-2009, 09:58 PM
wow half those players weren't on the prelim roster..no besovic :(...we are gonna lose him soon!!!

my starting line up would be

Stalteri-Mckenna-Hastings/Jakovic-Klukowski
----------------de Guzman----------------
-----------Bernier-Hutchinson-De Jong-----
---------------Gerba-Jackson--------------

thoughts?

oppss forgot about de Guzman hahaha :S

Everyone of those players except Gbeke was on the preliminary roster.....

Strong team though, stronger than last gold cup Canada gets more talented and talented through the years, only a matter of time.

I like your XI im not a big Gerba fan or Bernier or Hastings so here is what i'd switch

Stalteri-Mckenna-Hainault-Klukowski
----------------Jakovic----------------
-------Johnson-De Guzman-Hutchinson------
-----------Jackson----Simpson--------------

Keegan
06-22-2009, 09:59 PM
I understand Begovic not being on this team. Near the end of the English season it was mentioned that James is going to miss some time early in the season and that since he's getting up there in age that the early part of the English season will be Begovic auditioning for the #1 spot post-James so he's going to want to come into camp fully rested and ready to go.

Begovic is expecting his first child which is why he isn't coming and yes early english pre-season too.

Keegan
06-22-2009, 10:09 PM
^we in a sense did

This isn't really that much of a B team. We are missing Friend, Edgar, Radzinski, Occean, De Rosario, Serioux, Ledgerwood, Begovic, Imhof, Hirschfeld....

But how many of those guys are starters? Friend and Hirschfeld.... and maybe Radzinski, De Rosario and Imhof. Friend and Hirschfeld are the only CLEAR starters missing, we all love DeRo but he is 31 now and guys like Johnson and Simpson are knocking at the door.

Josh Simpson has been injured lately so has played rarely for the MNT but did assist on the goal versus Cyprus, here is a nice video of him for his club side. For those who doubt he is a good DeRo replacement...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZs87kMVhds

prizby
06-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Everyone of those players except Gbeke was on the preliminary roster.....

Strong team though, stronger than last gold cup Canada gets more talented and talented through the years, only a matter of time.

I like your XI im not a big Gerba fan or Bernier or Hastings so here is what i'd switch

Stalteri-Mckenna-Hainault-Klukowski
----------------Jakovic----------------
-------Johnson-De Guzman-Hutchinson------
-----------Jackson----Simpson--------------

im not a fan of simpson...and i can't see johnson playing midfield

Wagenaar was not on the prelim list, (bit of an exageration when saying half lol)

Keegan
06-22-2009, 11:38 PM
im not a fan of simpson...and i can't see johnson playing midfield

Wagenaar was not on the prelim list, (bit of an exageration when saying half lol)

Johnson is a midfielder though? He plays midfield for Real Salt Lake and has always played as a mid for Canada.

VPjr
06-23-2009, 12:47 AM
Serioux is not going because of lingering injury issues. Anyone who has been watching him lately can see he is hurting pretty bad but is gutting it out.

Nana was left home because it was deemed that its more important that he continues to play regularly for TFC rather than get spot duty for Canada. It would be a good experience for him and I have no doubt he would have liked to be called up but this is what is best for him at this time of his career.

Lars basically was forced to choose between a contract and his country. Lars is a business man and wisely chose contract. Can't blame him

There are a couple of players I would have liked to have seen on the roster (Ornoch and Uccello come to mind first and foremost) but overall, no major complaints.

devioustrevor
06-23-2009, 07:26 AM
There are a couple of players I would have liked to have seen on the roster (Ornoch and Uccello come to mind first and foremost) but overall, no major complaints.

What has Uccello done to deserve a call-up. Really I haven't heard anything about him in 5 years.

Fort York Redcoat
06-23-2009, 07:33 AM
Any word on Gold Cup on TV?

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-23-2009, 07:35 AM
Wow...

First off, let's be honest, Sutton has no business being there. Granted, Lars Hirschfeld hasn't started either at Cluj, but he's a better goalkeeper hands down- and he's playing for the reigning Romanian champions, while Sutton just got dropped from TFC. Nothing against the guy, but I don't think he's of an international standard.

I can understand the omission of DeRo and Nana due to club commitments, but where's Rob Friend? The German season is over, the only explanation I can think of is that he refused a call-up after the qualifying debacle, like Brennan. What about Edgar? Occean? Imhof?

IMO, none of Pozniak, Sutton, McKenna, Harmse and Gbeke should even be given consideration. We have far better players available.

Out of those, my starting eleven looks like:

G Stamotopolous
D Stalteri
D Cann
D Hastings
D Klukowski
M Nakajima-Farran
M Htuchinson
M De Guzman
M Bernier
F Gerba
F Jackson

Forgive my pessimism, but that's definitely not the best we could put out.

Toronto Ruffrider
06-23-2009, 08:46 AM
^ I think I'd rather have McKenna in my back line than Cann, but other than that I'd go with your starting XI. As for players such as Sutton, I'm sure they were inserted into the roster out of convenience. Sutton doesn't have any club commitments, and he doesn't have to be flown across the Atlantic; that's win-win from the perspective of the CSA piggy bank.

VPjr
06-23-2009, 08:54 AM
What has Uccello done to deserve a call-up. Really I haven't heard anything about him in 5 years.

The guy scored 24 goals in Italy last season and is apparently negotiating for a move up to a significantly higher level for 2009/2010.

He is a goal scorer. Not the quickest player but a goal scorer does not need to be a speed demon (i.e. Dichio).

I would rather see uccello than Gbeke....

mr k
06-23-2009, 08:56 AM
I also wish Begovic was there - but apparently he is expecting a baby soon.

VPjr
06-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Wow...

First off, let's be honest, Sutton has no business being there. Granted, Lars Hirschfeld hasn't started either at Cluj, but he's a better goalkeeper hands down- and he's playing for the reigning Romanian champions, while Sutton just got dropped from TFC. Nothing against the guy, but I don't think he's of an international standard.

Lars pulled out because he is working on a new contract (he's leaving Cluj) and was told to pick between a job and 3 week run with Canada at the Gold Cup. He made the right choice.

I agree Sutton doesn't belong on this team. I am shocked he's there. Greg is being given a 2nd chance he doesn't deserve in my view. I would rather see Wagenaar start and I don't rate him either. Too bad Begovic and his wife/girlfriend/baby mama are expecting a child this summer or else he would have been the obvious choice.

where's Rob Friend?

INJURED...Out for several months

What about Edgar? Occean? Imhof?

Edgar is a big question mark. He's working on finding a new club for next season, which might be why he's not at this tournament. Also, it could be that Stephen Hart doesn't rate him as highly as players like Jakovic, Hainault, etc... Not sure what to think.

Occean is in the middle of the season in Scandanavia. Until he stops playing in a summer league, playing for Canada is gonna be tough.

Inhof is another question mark but I'm trying to find out.

[quote=I_AM_CANADIAN;590675]

IMO, none of Pozniak, Sutton, McKenna, Harmse and Gbeke should even be given consideration. We have far better players available.
[quote]

McKenna is still a solid option for Canada. He is a semi-regular starter in Bundesliga. Nothing wrong with that. He's a leader-type player and is excellent on set pieces, which is important for Canada.

I agree thatn Harmse has no business on this team but TFC had to give them someone, right?

Poz is a good soldier who won't complain about being left out of the 18 man roster. Good team guy, versatile. Plus, it doesnt hurt his chances of finding a better gig by stating he's still considered a national team player for Canada. I'm told that Dundee wasn't exactly the greatest place to play pro footy so it would not shock me if he's looking for greener pastures.

This team was never going to be our "best" squad. Its hard to get our best together for WCQ, much less a relatively meaningless Gold Cup tournament in a summer where preseason starts soon.

This tournament should have been held in Mid June. We would have had more top players.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Ah, I didn't realize Friend was out... that's really a drag. His omission was my main complaint really.

I've never heard of Uccello actually, which division was he playing in this year? If he manages to get into Serie B or even a good C1 side it'd be difficult to overlook him.

Keegan
06-23-2009, 09:49 AM
Wow...

I can understand the omission of DeRo and Nana due to club commitments, but where's Rob Friend? The German season is over, the only explanation I can think of is that he refused a call-up after the qualifying debacle, like Brennan. What about Edgar? Occean? Imhof?

Out of those, my starting eleven looks like:

G Stamotopolous
D Stalteri
D Cann
D Hastings
D Klukowski
M Nakajima-Farran
M Htuchinson
M De Guzman
M Bernier
F Gerba
F Jackson

Forgive my pessimism, but that's definitely not the best we could put out.

You are starting the two worst CBs called into camp imo. Jakovic, Hainault and McKenna are all better. McKenna is a bundesliga starter how is he not good enough?

Also you chose to start Bernier and Nakajima, but we have some good young stars on the bench such as Johnson, Peters, De Jong and Simpson.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Jaime Peters can't break into the Ipswich first team, is he really better? He pointedly failed to impress at Gillingham on loan as well. He's a good prospect for the future but isn't starting material right now. Hastings was one of the few defensive players I liked during World Cup qualifying, Hainault and Klukowski refused to close down and by half time had no stamina left. Cann I might be wrong about, but he was a standout for the Whitecaps and I've heard praise for him since he moved to Denmark.

McKenna is a Bundesliga starter, this is a point, but I've never been convinced by his play for Canada during a period where we failed somewhat miserably.

maninb
06-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Did Edgar REFUSE to play? If not, he's BY FAR the best CB they've got, and a glaring omission..!

boban
06-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Why is this thread not in the Canada forum?

Dub Narcotic
06-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Did Edgar REFUSE to play? If not, he's BY FAR the best CB they've got, and a glaring omission..!

By far? He wasn't that impressive for the U-20's or Newcastle. He's probably the most overrated player in the national team pool.

prizby
06-23-2009, 12:31 PM
Johnson is a midfielder though? He plays midfield for Real Salt Lake and has always played as a mid for Canada.

i always thought of him as a striker, i believe ur correct though

Keegan
06-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Jaime Peters can't break into the Ipswich first team, is he really better? He pointedly failed to impress at Gillingham on loan as well. He's a good prospect for the future but isn't starting material right now. Hastings was one of the few defensive players I liked during World Cup qualifying, Hainault and Klukowski refused to close down and by half time had no stamina left. Cann I might be wrong about, but he was a standout for the Whitecaps and I've heard praise for him since he moved to Denmark.

McKenna is a Bundesliga starter, this is a point, but I've never been convinced by his play for Canada during a period where we failed somewhat miserably.

Actually Peters finished the year starting for Ipswich under Roy Keane. Klukowski was our best player besides Radzinski during qualifying imo. I don't think Cann starts in Denmark does he?