PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy on The Fan; Gerba to sign today

gmacpheetfc
06-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Jimmy on the fan now

Fan 590 reporting gerba to sign today and be available at the start of the summer transfer window.

TFC07
06-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Jimmy on the fan now

Fan 590 reporting gerba to sign today and be available at the start of the summer transfer window.

When is that?

rocker
06-22-2009, 01:45 PM
July 15... but i thought released players could be brought in at any time? ugh. I never understand the rules.

If that's the case I guess he can take off for the Gold Cup then. He needs to get into shape and TFC doesn't have any games in July until the GC group stage is over.

Nodoubtguy
06-22-2009, 01:46 PM
makes no sense since he's unattached to any club.....except ours!!!

Dirk Diggler
06-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Jimmy on the fan now

I don't see why the transfer window has any relation to this ... I think the management just made that up because they were too lazy to explain to the media why he might not be available right away due to the Gold Cup and what not.

gmacpheetfc
06-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Don't shoot the messenger just stating verbatim what the fan reported

Carter
06-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Jimmy on the fan now

Its been discussed in many other threads that this is what could possibly be holding us up.

But after reading the MLS Website its not this holding us up...

(B) TRANSFERS AND LOANS
An MLS player may be transferred or loaned at any time to a team outside the League (subject to that team's Federation's transfer window). The registration windows - the dates between which MLS may request the transfer certificate of an international player - are as follows:
January 21 - April 15 (Primary Window)
July 15 - August 14 (Secondary Window)

Because if i remember correctly we got his discovery rights off San Jose.. which means he would fall under this...

(E) DISCOVERY SIGNINGS
Each team has the opportunity to make six Discovery signings per season (expansion teams have 10 Discovery signings in their initial season). The last day for Discovery player signings is September 15, 2009 - coinciding with the roster freeze date and trade deadline. The six Discovery signings can be used to fill senior roster spots only. If multiple teams claim the same player using a Discovery, the team that filed the claim first will have first rights to the player. Discovery claims expire following each season. If the League and player are unable to reach an agreement during the season, the team that first filed the Discovery retains the right of first refusal in the event the player is later signed by the League.

Super
06-22-2009, 02:05 PM
It's a little odd considering the club mentioned he MIGHT be available for MTL - just a week ago.

Phil
06-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Its not hard for me to imagine that a report on the radio isn't well researched as far as eligibility and transfer dates. Overall the sport is confusing to most media and does not operate in a way to make it any easier for them.

I hope this gets done and we don't have to wait. Our roster needs some spots filled asap.

Carter
06-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Its not hard for me to imagine that a report on the radio isn't well researched as far as eligibility and transfer dates. Overall the sport is confusing to most media and does not operate in a way to make it any easier for them.

I hope this gets done and we don't have to wait. Our roster needs some spots filled asap.

Did we HAVE to drop ricketts for the Cap space before submitting the contract to the league or could we have done a if this approved kinda deal?

Phil
06-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Not sure, but if they did it I assume it had to be done. Either way the writing was on the wall for a lot of guys and its not the nice side of buisness.

Dunkers
06-22-2009, 02:29 PM
i read somewherer that if you sign someone durring the summer transfer, only half of there salary counts towards the cap, so this might be the problem, we only have half of the cap space available for gerba, so we need to wait until the cap hit is less

ensco
06-22-2009, 05:01 PM
Could easily be that the gopher (whoever you are, no insult intended) who wrote the copy for the 590 news update just misunderstood and/or got the bit about "the summer transfer window" wrong.

rocker
06-22-2009, 05:05 PM
i read somewherer that if you sign someone durring the summer transfer, only half of there salary counts towards the cap, so this might be the problem, we only have half of the cap space available for gerba, so we need to wait until the cap hit is less

that's a way of looking at it ... although I think you're thinking of the DP situation. When Becks came to MLS midway, his cap hit was half.
Most guys who come in later are prorated anyways. So it's not like Gerba is gonna make 300K this year. He's prob gonna make half a season of that, so it'll be prorated to 150K.

didn't colin Samuel join TFC before the transfer period? I remember his salary was prorated to 18 games, and it didn't look that bad in those Union reports. But then the following year it was added to the cap as the full year amount, and it was pretty high. like around 200K.

DigzTFC!
06-22-2009, 05:22 PM
I think it has something to do with european contracts. I think they run past the season, so technically Gerba is signed with MK Dons right now but does not have a contract with them for the following year. You can get around it by terminating the contract early but that means part of the salary is waived. Anybody know more about this?

Toronto_Bhoy
06-22-2009, 05:34 PM
He's free to sign with another club but can't play until his current contract expires on July 15.

trane
06-22-2009, 06:07 PM
^ I fucking hope not. Was his contract not voided when he was released. It makes not sense otherwise, we were trying to sign him to play in Montreal, or at least that was the imprission. I hope he is available on Wensday.

H Bomb
06-22-2009, 06:08 PM
also i think most english contracts run to july 1st, not the 15th

trane
06-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Waiting untill July 15th,2009 makes not sense. Althougt it is my birthday, so there may be some kind of cosmis meaning to it all.

jloome
06-22-2009, 07:10 PM
The discovery allocation thing is the only logical answer; technically he can't sign because discovery signings only occur during the windows, so whether he's under contract or not is moot.

trane
06-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Fuck. So he will not be able to play untill after July 15, fuck that sucks.

James Oliphant
06-22-2009, 08:00 PM
My understanding is that Gerba wasn't released...Dons just chose not to pursue a new contract for him. That means his contract is up at the end of June.

Jeremy: I may be missing it, but I don't see anything saying discovery signings can only be made during the international windows...just that the last day is also the day of the roster freeze/trade deadline.

Beach_Red
06-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Do we know who else TFC have Discovery Claims on?

gmacpheetfc
06-22-2009, 09:00 PM
michael owen

noochie
06-22-2009, 09:07 PM
My understanding is that Gerba wasn't released...Dons just chose not to pursue a new contract for him. That means his contract is up at the end of June.

Right, so they must have set this up as a free transfer which would be the only way that the window would apply...

James Oliphant
06-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Right, so they must have set this up as a free transfer which would be the only way that the window would apply...

Yup...and that's where I think the red tape came in that wouldn't allow us to sign him in time for Montreal.

Marc"2L"
06-22-2009, 09:30 PM
It's our window that's the problem.
Because there's no actual transfer activity between the clubs, MLS has a simulated "winter" or mid-season transfer window.

The idea is to simulate what happens around a transfer window anywhere else in the world. Press and what not. Of course that doesn't really work because MLS is still a bit of a joke among the masses.

So yeah, Contract ends on July 1st, Our window opens 2 weeks later.
Other wise that rule is poorly written.

James17930
06-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Fuck. So he will not be able to play untill after July 15, fuck that sucks.

Not really, because he's going to be at Gold Cup anyway.

So it actually works out fine.

And hopefully he'll have a good tournament, get some fitness back, and then come to us fully charged.

James Oliphant
06-23-2009, 01:48 AM
It's our window that's the problem.
Because there's no actual transfer activity between the clubs, MLS has a simulated "winter" or mid-season transfer window.

The idea is to simulate what happens around a transfer window anywhere else in the world. Press and what not. Of course that doesn't really work because MLS is still a bit of a joke among the masses.

So yeah, Contract ends on July 1st, Our window opens 2 weeks later.
Other wise that rule is poorly written.

Yeah, but he's not a player who would require transfer papers since he's out of contract midnight July 1. He should be able to sign a new contract with the league on that date, since the "transfer window" in MLS only applies to those who would need international transfer papers to be completed.

Or am I wrong on that?

Pachuco
06-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Today is tommorrow again, and Gerba still hasn't signed ;)

djking2
06-23-2009, 09:17 AM
The player contract and the transfer window are two seperate issues. Whether it's a loan, sale or transfer the transfer window always applies. That's why Beckham has to wait til July 15.

While MLS set the specific dates for incoming transfers they have to follow FIFA guidelines. FIFA requested MLS shorten the summer transfer window from 2 months to 1 month just last year. As a matter of fact, McBride waited til JUly 15 last year for the window to open and then Mo played hardball on the negotiations and finally agreeing to terms just a day before the window closed.