PDA

View Full Version : Rohan Ricketts on the Footy Show tonight

Pigfynn
06-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Hey guys,

Rohan was on the footy show tonight with James Sharman being asked about what went down with TFC.

I have to say that Rohan was total and complete class about the whole thing. He talked about his love for TFC and it's supporters and that one day when he retires he will definitely come back to live here.

On the mutually agreed release: he said he spoke to Mo and they decided together that if he could get some of the dosh still left on his contract. he'd agree to being released so he could go back to Europe (Spain, Greece and Scotland mentioned)

All and all the man was very cool about all of it and I can say that I truly wish him the best with his career.

Thanks for the bit you did RR!

poppamidnight
06-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Link is here

http://www.thescore.com/video/index.aspx?v=Jyo_xGjnWjASZuncAxXqQQ0vzGSBLtjV

Lucky Strike
06-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Hey guys,

Rohan was on the footy show tonight with James Sharman being asked about what went down with TFC.

I have to say that Rohan was total and complete class about the whole thing. He talked about his love for TFC and it's supporters and that one day when he retires he will definitely come back to live here.

On the mutually agreed release: he said he spoke to Mo and they decided together that if he could get some of the dosh still left on his contract. he'd agree to being released so he could go back to Europe (Spain, Greece and Scotland mentioned)

All and all the man was very cool about all of it and I can say that I truly wish him the best with his career.

Thanks for the bit you did RR!

Yup, it certainly did portray him in a better light following Twittergate and all that.

Kevvv
06-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Can't say I'm surprised. Yes, he was frustrated about his playing time, and other than expressing it on a twitter feed, he has been professional about the situation, no sulking or kicking water bottles like others we have released.

FluSH
06-20-2009, 10:24 PM
damn missed it... but thanks for the link

Darlofletch
06-20-2009, 10:25 PM
I saw the interview and all I can say is wow, James Sharman, if the footy show ever gets cancelled, you'd make an excellent entertainment tonight interviewer of celebrities promoting movies. I get that ricketts was on your show a few times and you guys are obviously friends, but wow, that was the fluffiest interview I've ever seen. Ricketts couldn't have asked easier questions designed to show him in a good light if he was doing the interview himself.

rocker
06-20-2009, 10:27 PM
James Sharman looks slimmer than he used to

rocker
06-20-2009, 10:34 PM
I saw the interview and all I can say is wow, James Sharman, if the footy show ever gets cancelled, you'd make an excellent entertainment tonight interviewer of celebrities promoting movies. I get that ricketts was on your show a few times and you guys are obviously friends, but wow, that was the fluffiest interview I've ever seen. Ricketts couldn't have asked easier questions designed to show him in a good light if he was doing the interview himself.

really? he asked questions that people asked on this board, such as the question about whether his outside business was affecting his play. he asked about how fieldturf was.
he asked him if he worked hard enough. he asked him if he should have started.

the answer Rohan gave about Chris Cummins not starting him makes sense. The club knew he was moving out so why bother starting him over a guy who could be here all season?

don't see much fluff there.

FluSH
06-20-2009, 10:35 PM
# Ricketts came out looking dapper... great questions by Sharman... really good!

# Ricketts was quite professional in his answers...

# too bad about the MLS comments though...

MUFC_Niagara
06-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Funny how RR said the same thing as Carver.....he wants nothing to do with the MLS because of it's rules and regs. Not a good reputation for a league trying to grow in the football community....

MUFC_Niagara
06-20-2009, 10:39 PM
# Ricketts came out looking dapper... great questions by Sharman... really good!

Hopefully the league takes notice that foreign players and coaches are leaving their league because of the way its run....

rocker
06-20-2009, 10:39 PM
i thought his fieldturf answer was interesting.
here's a guy who doesn't owe MLSE anything and can speak his mind.. and he just said he didn't mind the turf, but that guys with knee injuries don't like it.

FluSH
06-20-2009, 10:41 PM
really? he asked questions that people asked on this board, such as the question about whether his outside business was affecting his play.

the answer Rohan gave about Chris Cummins not starting him makes sense. The club knew he was moving out so why bother starting him over a guy who could be here all season?

I don't think he saw the same interview...

Sharman asked questions about:

1. The grass/turf... contriversial

2. How much money did Ricketts get..

3. he pressured again on the money to see if Ricketts was sour that he didn't get his full guaranteed contract

4. Asked about Ricketts training habits... whether he gave his 100%

5. Asked if Ricketts' extra curriclar activities affected him or the way the club looked at him

6. Sharman pretty much asked... who is the Real Coach? Mo Johnston or Cummins? who was making the field decisions Mo or Carver

Sharman went in there correct...not harshly but he definately asked the right questions...

FluSH
06-20-2009, 10:45 PM
here's a guy who doesn't owe MLSE anything and can speak his mind.. and he just said he didn't mind the turf, but that guys with knee injuries don't like it.

Well.. what was the bit about the Spurs and turf? maybe Sharman knew that Ricketts had played in turf before or that in Englad they have turf in some clubs for their practice facilities...

I think it's fair to say that turf is not good for those with injuries... is it better than grass? certainly not... however can you have a winning team playing in turf? Ricketts said it's an advantage... I guess as long as you have healthy and young players it is... because Saprissa plays on turf and their stadium is one of the hardest stadiums to get a win at in Central America... in fact Costa Rica has played a perfect game at home in the WCQ all at Saprissa on turf.

Juanito
06-20-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm happy for him. He wasn't wanted in Toronto anymore, but he has left a professional and a class act. He'll be happier in Europe, it's a system that makes more sense to him. MLS is not good for Europeans as far as the business ends go, so I'm not surprised he will leave the MLS.

I for one, will miss him.

TFC07
06-20-2009, 10:54 PM
I'm happy for him. He wasn't wanted in Toronto anymore, but he has left a professional and a class act. He'll be happier in Europe, it's a system that makes more sense to him. MLS is not good for Europeans as far as the business ends go, so I'm not surprised he will leave the MLS.

I for one, will miss him.

At least Ricketts will still support Toronto FC and probably end up living here someday.

Fushida
06-20-2009, 11:13 PM
it was a good interview. sharman asked the right questions straight up, which is always nice. glad to see there are no hard feelings... best of luck to him. i think by the way he played in some of his most recent sub appearances, he deserves some kudos.... knowing that you're outta here within a few weeks, yet still busting your ass while on the field is commendable.

Yohan
06-20-2009, 11:15 PM
i think by the way he played in some of his most recent sub appearances, he deserves some kudos.... knowing that you're outta here within a few weeks, yet still busting your ass while on the field is commendable.
or raise his profile and stock a little for teams interested in signing him

sorry... cynicism came out

FluSH
06-20-2009, 11:25 PM
What's hard is the reality of this business... Sutton has a family... was he released? or also bought out? I mean did he get some sort of severance package?

It looks like Ricketts was trying to say that it was hard on the guys when Sutton was released and that they all thought about him and his family...

SanStarko
06-21-2009, 06:09 AM
Hopefully the league takes notice that foreign players and coaches are leaving their league because of the way its run....

But until it's guys who have been a success here who are leaving and making the comments then they aren't going to bother.

Neither Carver or Ricketts were a success in this league. If Ricketts had come in, blown the league apart and then left and made comments about the MLS it would be more effective.

But coming in, not doing all that well in the league and then making comments about the MLS can be contrived as just being sour grapes.

I'm not saying it is sour grapes by Ricketts but it's probably the way the MLS would look at it.

boban
06-21-2009, 10:24 AM
What really has to be asked about his appearance on the Score for this interview is what's the deal with that outfit he wore?? Geeezus!!!

Corpand
06-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Here ya go:

http://www.thescore.com/video/index.aspx?v=Jyo_xGjnWjASZuncAxXqQQ0vzGSBLtjV

spezz44
06-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Class, seems like a nice dude.

MUFC_Niagara
06-21-2009, 11:14 AM
But until it's guys who have been a success here who are leaving and making the comments then they aren't going to bother.

Neither Carver or Ricketts were a success in this league. If Ricketts had come in, blown the league apart and then left and made comments about the MLS it would be more effective.

But coming in, not doing all that well in the league and then making comments about the MLS can be contrived as just being sour grapes.

I'm not saying it is sour grapes by Ricketts but it's probably the way the MLS would look at it.

This is true. However, Beckham has made the same comments. Greg Sutton also made comments to the effect that with the salary cap its hard to create a competition for places because you can't have an effective backup at each position challening your first 11.

It's debatable as to whether the cap is good or bad. I mean there isn't much between the teams in this league, everyone beats everyone and its rare to see the same team win the title each year. It's like how it was in England up until the maximum player wage was abolished in 1961. Prior to that, and prior to the induction of tv money, every team was in contention for the League title. This is a good thing.

At the same time, its also frustrating that we can't get the best players because we can't pay them. Obviously with no cap some teams will be extremely better than others. I suppose with MLSE as our owners we'd be one of the richer clubs without a cap and could spend away leaving a club like Dallas to be shit for eternity.

Dub Narcotic
06-21-2009, 11:43 AM

Ricketts was a terrible player and Carver was a terrible coach. They are both good at blaming external forces for their personal failures. The MLS is just fine.

Cuz
06-21-2009, 12:11 PM
RR did make one excellent point that ALL players will be taking into consideration before coming to play in the MLS, it's "ruthless" and you can get cut in the snap of a finger, just like with what happened to Sutton. Cuz nothing is guaranteed in the MLS like it is in Europe.

dupont
06-21-2009, 09:27 PM
It's sad that the MLS salary cap makes it a liability if you get a raise in pay. One bad season and they will be wanting to cut you from the team just to free up some cap space. If I played in MLS I would try to keep a modest pay level so you have some wiggle room if you hit a rough patch.

Brooker
06-22-2009, 04:53 AM
where was this "class" during his last days with TFC?

always looking out for #1. classless.

boban
06-22-2009, 10:25 AM
where was this "class" during his last days with TFC?

always looking out for #1. classless.
I have to agree with you.
This interview looked more like a pr thing. All very hunky dori it seemed.
The Score was more than willing to go along with it.

ensco
06-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Interesting that he said that the conversations around the buyout had gone on for two months. It's a window into Mo's hardball tactics.

I think "Twittergate" happened because Mo was making lowball offers, and RR got pissed off about it. Then he retracted once he came to his senses.

Beach_Red
06-22-2009, 10:52 AM
^ Maybe the upside for players is it shows that TFC is willing to negotiate for two months.

Big Bruva
06-22-2009, 12:45 PM
really? he asked questions that people asked on this board, such as the question about whether his outside business was affecting his play. he asked about how fieldturf was.

lol this guy does not have much clue it seems Rocker and you gotta let it be sometimes.

RR is one guy that does not get emotional in situations where most would so any questions that some might of wanted to avoid he wouldn't mind answering.

Big Bruva
06-22-2009, 12:46 PM

A lot of the players feel the same way but just can not say it, hence Carver leaving the league too.

Big Bruva
06-22-2009, 12:48 PM

I agree lol coz he had/has license to throw salt in the wounds if he wanted to now but still kept it professional even though he does not really like it lol

Big Bruva
06-22-2009, 12:49 PM
I don't think he saw the same interview...

Sharman asked questions about:

1. The grass/turf... contriversial

2. How much money did Ricketts get..

3. he pressured again on the money to see if Ricketts was sour that he didn't get his full guaranteed contract

4. Asked about Ricketts training habits... whether he gave his 100%

5. Asked if Ricketts' extra curriclar activities affected him or the way the club looked at him

6. Sharman pretty much asked... who is the Real Coach? Mo Johnston or Cummins? who was making the field decisions Mo or Carver

Sharman went in there correct...not harshly but he definately asked the right questions...

Ya he did ask questions that a lot of fans would of wanted to know.

I was very interested lol

Big Bruva
06-22-2009, 12:55 PM
or raise his profile and stock a little for teams interested in signing him

sorry... cynicism came out

Ya stock will not raise much if any when you come on for the last 5 mins. All that can be achieved is showing what kinda character he has and that usually gets passed on from someone at the club if needed.

So no its not to raise any stock, it was more for his teammates and the fans.

bhoybobby
06-22-2009, 12:56 PM
RR did make one excellent point that ALL players will be taking into consideration before coming to play in the MLS, it's "ruthless" and you can get cut in the snap of a finger, just like with what happened to Sutton. Cuz nothing is guaranteed in the MLS like it is in Europe.

Oh the humanity, do your job, or lose it what a terrible thing. Now, let's hope it's applied to all levels of the organization:scarf:

Big Bruva
06-22-2009, 12:57 PM
What's hard is the reality of this business... Sutton has a family... was he released? or also bought out? I mean did he get some sort of severance package?

It looks like Ricketts was trying to say that it was hard on the guys when Sutton was released and that they all thought about him and his family...

Again partly how the MLS works isn't it lol a lot of players don't really have any security and thats obviously worse on the players that have families etc too. If you don't have a gaurenteed contract with the league you have no security in this league.

Roogsy
06-22-2009, 12:58 PM
I am sure that is going to be addressed by the players in the next CBA.

Ladies Love Julius James
06-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Was figures realized as to how much Ricketts got?

Big Bruva
06-22-2009, 01:01 PM

See again i hear what ya saying but disagree, the league better take a bit of notice or at least it would be good for them to do so, wether you feel Carver and RR did well or not they have names in England so the word gets around England for example.

Although a lot of the players play against each other a lot of them are actually friends and will speak to each other about playing in other leagues/countries. I know for a fact that RR knows A LOT of players in England and speaks to a lot of them, he is not the kinda person to just come out and speak negative about the league but if a player asks him what he thought of the league coz they might move there im sure he will give his opinion lol

bhoybobby
06-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Again partly how the MLS works isn't it lol a lot of players don't really have any security and thats obviously worse on the players that have families etc too. If you don't have a gaurenteed contract with the league you have no security in this league.

Is that not how the NFL works? if your seven shades of shite, your out.

The only reason RR isn't still here is 'cause he was given ample opportunity to deliver & couldn't, i'e: Seven shades of shite:scarf:

Roogsy
06-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Was figures realized as to how much Ricketts got?

Does it matter? We know what his total salary was for the year. We know we are halfway through the year which means it's at least half. And we know the amount is less than the total of the contract.

So you gotta figure somewhere north of 50% of the total contract and less than 100%. Because the numbers in the contract aren't huge, there really isn't much room for large variance.

I am guessing somewhere between 100k and 120k of total compensation for the entire contract. That's nothing to MLSE.

Ladies Love Julius James
06-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Just wanted to know if it was worth it for him. Do you ride the pine and collect the money/hope to get playing time or take a sweet ass cut and go your seperate ways.

Big Bruva
06-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Ricketts was a terrible player and Carver was a terrible coach. They are both good at blaming external forces for their personal failures. The MLS is just fine.

lol i can tell you just like having TFC in the city type fan instead of progression.

Roogsy
06-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Is that not how the NFLl works, if your seven shades of shite, your out.

The only reason RR isn't still here is 'cause he was given ample opportunity to deliver & couldn't, i'e: Seven shades of shite:scarf:

First of all, the issue wasn't whether he played well but whether it was effective enough given the MLS cap and his contract. He was still better than most players on TFC. Calling him "shite" only diminishes the weight of your point.

Second...learn something about the NFL before you compare it. Their compensation system is much different.

Roogsy
06-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Just wanted to know if it was worth it for him. Do you ride the pine and collect the money/hope to get playing time or take a sweet ass cut and go your seperate ways.

I think this allows him to look for another opporunity immediately, especially considering teams are about to start their season in Europe which is where I assume he will be looking.

Considering in Europe he will likely be getting a higher salary regardless of the team he plays for, I don't think he was looking to squeeze money out of MLSE so long as it gave him freedom to look but also provided a fair settlement to his contract. He wasn't going to leave for free, that's bad business.

Big Bruva
06-22-2009, 01:06 PM
^ Maybe the upside for players is it shows that TFC is willing to negotiate for two months.

lololololol Beach_Red thats quality lol

Big Bruva
06-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Is that not how the NFLl works, if your seven shades of shite, your out.

lol ya you know it ;)

Pachuco
06-22-2009, 01:09 PM

Ricketts didn't leave because of the league. Ricketts left because he was benched. It's no secret.

Big Bruva
06-22-2009, 01:09 PM
First of all, the issue wasn't whether he played well but whether it was effective enough given the MLS cap and his contract. He was still better than most players on TFC. Calling him "shite" only diminishes the weight of your point.

Second...learn something about the NFL before you compare it. Their compensation system is much different.

Roogsy i pick who i quote and answer to coz some people don't have much clue mate :)

Big Bruva
06-22-2009, 01:11 PM
I think this allows him to look for another opporunity immediately, especially considering teams are about to start their season in Europe which is where I assume he will be looking.

Considering in Europe he will likely be getting a higher salary regardless of the team he plays for, I don't think he was looking to squeeze money out of MLSE so long as it gave him freedom to look but also provided a fair settlement to his contract. He wasn't going to leave for free, that's bad business.

Roogsy we gotta talk lol

bhoybobby
06-22-2009, 01:11 PM

Learn how to read Re: The NFL, was a question.

Me saying RR was shite was a statement of fact, him playing like shite diminished him right out of the team. He didn't play well, he was shite, pure & simple.

Good luck to hime in the future, but I think he's going on the same career trajectory as Welshie:scarf:

Roogsy
06-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Ricketts didn't leave because of the league. Ricketts left because he was benched. It's no secret.

That's sort of the same thing.

Ricketts would still be on the team if the cap wasn't an issue. For Mo to bring in players that fit the new system (which arguably Ricketts didn't fit), he needed to clear up cap space. That's the same reason Sutton was released. Do you think Sutton (a Canadian slot) would've been released had it not been for the cap? My guess is Mo and Cummins would have rather kept a proven keeper on the bench rather than have one starter and one unproven player.

My guess is if Mo didn't need the cap space, Ricketts would have continued to try to fight for a starting spot. I don't think he was looking to leave. He genuinely liked it here.

So Ricketts left because of the roster rules of the MLS. In effect, the original statement was correct.

Roogsy
06-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Learn how to read Re: The NFL, was a question.

LOL! Riiiiight....like when I say "bhoybobby is crazy right?" I don't actually mean to insinuate you're crazy do I? It's just a question. :D

bhoybobby
06-22-2009, 01:20 PM

Ricketts would still be on the team if the cap wasn't an issue. For Mo to bring in players that fit the new system (which arguably Ricketts didn't fit), he needed to clear up cap space. That's the same reason Sutton was released. Do you think Sutton (a Canadian slot) would've been released had it not been for the cap? My guess is Mo and Cummins would have rather kept a proven keeper on the bench rather than have one starter and one unproven player.

My guess is if Mo didn't need the cap space, Ricketts would have continued to try to fight for a starting spot. I don't think he was looking to leave. He genuinely liked it here.

So Ricketts left because of the roster rules of the MLS. In effect, the original statement was correct.

So, are we to think you rated him as a player? If so, I'm sorry, I thought he was piss poor. I think he has one , maybe two decent games, that's it. That's why he's gone:scarf:

bhoybobby
06-22-2009, 01:22 PM
LOL! Riiiiight....like when I say "bhoybobby is crazy right?" I don't actually mean to insinuate you're crazy do I? It's just a question. :D

lmao, just so we're clear.

RR was seven shades of shite isn't a question, it's a statement of fact :scarf:

TFC07
06-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Kind of off-topic question: isn't anyone else worried about our lack depth and don't have faith in Mo of getting good replacements to make up our roster (especially now that we are playing in CCL)?

Roogsy
06-22-2009, 01:26 PM
:seeya:

I am very worried, especially considering we are going to be losing players to the Gold Cup.

I didn't agree with this move at all.

Darlofletch
06-22-2009, 02:06 PM
I have to agree with you.
This interview looked more like a pr thing. All very hunky dori it seemed.
The Score was more than willing to go along with it.

Careful Boban, you're not being fully complimentary of ricketts, that means you don't have a clue.:rolleyes:

After most people disagreed with my earlier analysis, i watched it again, and I haven't really changed my mind.

I was a bit harsh on Sharman as the footy show isn't pretending to be a hard news show, more of a footy based entertainment show, that has had (and probably will again by the sounds of things) RR on as a guest and also needs to maintain good relations with TFC, so i think my expectations were too high. Looking at it again, it was always going to be a friendly interview, set up to make Ricketts and TFC look good. And James Sharman did a good job of that.

After the twitter/blog comments post release about the real story coming out, and all the twittergate stuff and post game comments before that alluding to "other things" going on, I was expecting there to be something juicy, but it turned out to be a fairly bland story which wasn't all that different at all from what i imagined, Mo wanted to cut him, but he had a guaranteed contract so they had to negotiate a price before he'd agree to leave.

Either it was just a dull story, or Sharman didn't pry the real story out of him, either way for me it was a bit of a damp squib and not half as interesting as I thought it was going to be.

Darlofletch
06-22-2009, 02:09 PM
:seeya:

I am very worried, especially considering we are going to be losing players to the Gold Cup.

I didn't agree with this move at all.

I fully agree with this, I obviously don't know (or am clueless about) the full details of what's involved in releasing a player and signing another one, but I'd rather have Ricketts on the roster than nobody, especially as he made a couple of good appearances from the subs bench towards the end.

FluSH
06-22-2009, 08:44 PM

Let's just pray Frei makes it through the season without any injuries...

VPjr
06-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Funny how RR said the same thing as Carver.....he wants nothing to do with the MLS because of it's rules and regs. Not a good reputation for a league trying to grow in the football community....

I've spoken to several players who might have interest in MLS but there is a lot of fear and confusion about how this league works.

The biggest issue they all have is the potential of being traded. They don't like the idea that the league owns their contract because they feel that the league can potentially move them around like chess pieces as they see fit. I haven't seen alot of that although many of them point to Eskandarian being traded unceremoniously and without his consent. that scares the crap out of players...they don't want the league to determine where they play.

Yagbod
06-25-2009, 12:40 AM
Ricketts was at the game tonight.

I was in the Beer Garden with my friends (who were getting pictures with Ben Johnson, why? I don't know..."I Cheetah all the time". )

But, I digress: Rickett's was standing by the 'end of game exit' by Gate 1 wearing street clothes. Then after about 10 mins of shaking hands he put on his old TFC kit. That moment was odd because it seemed like he was expecting something.

My buddy and I went up to him to offer him best wishes. He said he was there as a fan, something he had also said on the Footy Show.

Anyway, the whole thing had a Sid Barrett kind of feel to it (ex-Pink Floyd, who showed up to many gigs, but was not all there). He wasn't there with anyone, and what was with the kit?

Anyway, I wish him the best of luck.

London
06-25-2009, 07:26 AM
Last night rohan showed in in 112 for the second half.
he truely was a TFC supporter last night!!
he chanted, played the drum, seemed to realy like the massive!!!!

FluSH
06-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Last night rohan showed in in 112 for the second half.
he truely was a TFC supporter last night!!
he chanted, played the drum, seemed to realy like the massive!!!!

Apperantly Ricketts was having a hard time getting into 112... the security guys didn't recognize him and wouldn't let him in without a ticket! LOL

My bros had to tell the security guys that it was Rohan Ricketts and pleaded with them to let him stay for a few chants...

Good to see him there although it was a distraction for a bit as we chanted for Rohan 2 - 3 sets... once should have been enough as I don't think he wanted the attention... he just wanted to support like we do. Anyhow, I personally said thanks... and wished him goodluck. I do hope he comes back... he was not the greatest of players on our team but then at the time who really was...

jabbronies
06-25-2009, 08:12 AM
I've spoken to several players who might have interest in MLS but there is a lot of fear and confusion about how this league works.

The biggest issue they all have is the potential of being traded. They don't like the idea that the league owns their contract because they feel that the league can potentially move them around like chess pieces as they see fit. I haven't seen alot of that although many of them point to Eskandarian being traded unceremoniously and without his consent. that scares the crap out of players...they don't want the league to determine where they play.

Do you think this will change in the next round of player negotiation talks?

Waggy
06-25-2009, 08:21 AM
After meeting him last night, dude is all class. He clearly bleeds red, that much is obvious. He said he's on his way back to europe, but I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't find his way back here after his playing days are over (who wouldn't want to see RR co-hosting the Footy Show?!).