PDA

View Full Version : 2009 SuperLiga Thread

Lucky Strike
06-20-2009, 09:04 PM
A good opening game won 1-0 by Chicago over San Luis. Lots of quality play, goal scoring opportunities and saves in this one. Chivas USA and Tigres to start momentarily. All games can be seen online free at http://web.superliga2009.com/index.jsp

Enjoy!

Yohan
06-20-2009, 09:15 PM
scrap superliga plz

Cambridge_Red
06-20-2009, 09:16 PM
cheers

Cambridge_Red
06-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Fuck what a goal

Lucky Strike
06-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Fuck what a goal

Indeed. It was like a bicycle kick but at 90 degrees. Nice!

Lucky Strike
06-21-2009, 08:31 AM
A 2-1 win for Tigres yesterday with Lillingston getting sent off for a second yellow. Not as exciting as the earlier match but good to watch anyway.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-21-2009, 08:43 AM
scrap superliga plz

no..its agreat tournament to have...it helps create interest in the league.

what they do need is a Canadian team in there to make it interesting

Lucky Strike
06-22-2009, 11:26 AM

They would had TFC finished in a position to qualify and hadn't made it to the Champions League.

C.Ronaldo
06-22-2009, 11:30 AM
keep the tournament

the players need the extra money, it generates interest, and is good experience for the teams to raise their quality

I just wish it was a 2 week tourny same with champions league, no need to drag it out

Yohan
06-22-2009, 11:31 AM
i wonder how many people are in favour of superliga, but bitch about friendlies

Fort York Redcoat
06-22-2009, 11:38 AM
I'll give people credit for taking an interest in any football when there's no TFC in it but Superliga must be scrapped until we have the larger squads needed for another tournament.

It's got to be all inclusive as well. Like the Champions league.

C.Ronaldo
06-22-2009, 11:39 AM
superliga is competitive

friendlies are not

Yohan
06-22-2009, 11:41 AM
superliga is competitive

friendlies are not
right. so competitive when you take couple of teams that rank top mid table and put them through matches that end up wearing out the players for later in the season and play offs

not necessary

CCL is good enough.

C.Ronaldo
06-22-2009, 12:24 PM
^which is why id like to see it in a 2 week format in June/

if possible

when the rosters expand, this probably wont be an issue

Canary Canuck
06-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Atlas kept their first team in Guadalajara and sent a mixture of their youth team and reserves to this tournament.... yeah, they're really hungry to win this one!!!

Pachuco
06-22-2009, 01:07 PM
keep the tournament

the players need the extra money, it generates interest, and is good experience for the teams to raise their quality

I just wish it was a 2 week tourny same with champions league, no need to drag it out

No money goes to the players from this tourny. There was a lot of talk about that last year. By the time all the money gets divied up, the players are seeing less money then a bartender makes on tips in a night.

Lucky Strike
06-22-2009, 01:10 PM
^which is why id like to see it in a 2 week format in June/

if possible

when the rosters expand, this probably wont be an issue

Thing is about June is that CCL qualification for TFC is not complete. MLS has a rule that teams participating in the CCL can't also be in Superliga (like the UEFA CL and Europa League). The timing would be problematic in this case.

C.Ronaldo
06-22-2009, 03:02 PM
then keep as is

and expand the roster.

MLS needs more competitive exposure outside of MLS teams.

This is a great way to do it. Those mexican B teams are still better than many MLS teams, and if MLS starts winning, the mexican teams will start putting out better teams.

No one wants to lose every year

p.s
this isnt for US fans.
This is to get the other fans interested.

Whatever draws attention to MLS is good attention

ExiledRed
06-22-2009, 03:15 PM

A canadian team means us.

We can't play in it while we are in the CL. (You know the meaningful competition, that incorporates teams from all over north and central america.)

So that's that then.

next.

Shway
06-22-2009, 03:47 PM
right. so competitive when you take couple of teams that rank top mid table and put them through matches that end up wearing out the players for later in the season and play offs

not necessary

CCL is good enough.

SO i guess you have the same mindset for the Europa Leauge?

I suppose

ensco
06-22-2009, 03:54 PM
I really like Superliga. I'd much rather have a meaningful game against a San Luis than the River Plate game we're getting.

Expand it and get rid of friendlies.

Lennon
06-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Either make it into a serious UEFA Cup-like tournament with serious money prizes and more then 2 countries or scrap it ... MLS squads are too small to be be playing friendly tournaments in the middle of the season ...

Lucky Strike
06-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Either make it into a serious UEFA Cup-like tournament with serious money prizes and more then 2 countries or scrap it ... MLS squads are too small to be be playing friendly tournaments in the middle of the season ...

Well I guess it depends what a serious prize money is for you, but the winner of SuperLiga gets 1 million dollars, which was (or maybe still is?) a record in CONCACAF.

And it's not a friendly tournament, either. :D

Lennon
06-22-2009, 05:01 PM
It kind of is when teams are dropping out of the tournament ... and those they do play are playing with their youth/reserve players ...

Players only get 30% of that million ... so 300k/24 = 12.5k per player for MLS teams ... meh ...

Lucky Strike
06-22-2009, 05:20 PM
It kind of is when teams are dropping out of the tournament ... and those they do play are playing with their youth/reserve players ...

Players only get 30% of that million ... so 300k/24 = 12.5k per player for MLS teams ... meh ...

If SuperLiga were cancelled next year I wouldn't be too upset about it, but I feel it does more good than harm despite the few things that aren't ideal.

And as a side note, despite only 30% going to the players, 12.5K for a player in the MLS can be significant, especially those that are making less than 100K per year.

Yohan
06-22-2009, 05:34 PM

I suppose
no.

because Europa league teams don't have roster restrictions so their teams have depth for a prolonged and increased number of games

and that tournament has more competition, unlike this mickey mouse 8 team tourney that adds really nothing much

Fort York Redcoat
06-23-2009, 06:53 AM

I suppose

Not to mention the support the tournament has as second tier as it is. Superliga was suppose to be a money maker for Mexican-Americans and doesn't generate any more attention than the CCL and is less valid as a compettion.

C.Ronaldo
06-23-2009, 08:11 AM
give it time to grow people

lisbon wasnt re-built overnight

troy1982
06-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Not to mention the support the tournament has as second tier as it is. Superliga was suppose to be a money maker for Mexican-Americans and doesn't generate any more attention than the CCL and is less valid as a compettion.

SuperLiga does generate a profit for SUM and MLS plus the winner gets $1 million.