PDA

View Full Version : Soccer Day in Canada

Batman
06-20-2009, 07:23 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/soccerday09/

The Montreal Limp Act vs. Vancouver game on at 1:30 today could be quite interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised if a frickin hockey game broke out!

Hooligan69
06-20-2009, 07:49 AM
Limp Act vs. Whitecraps should be a decent game. I might watch it.

Nerepis
06-20-2009, 08:03 AM
As Danny Dichio might say, "possibly a little Argy Bargy"

TFC Cityboy
06-20-2009, 08:23 AM
yes...expect a bit of "afters" from the Shitecaps

jabbronies
06-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Awesome!!! I was hoping to see this game. Man, Vancouver is going to be pissed. This should be a dirty game.

Batman
06-20-2009, 08:30 AM
As Danny Dichio might say, "possibly a little Argy Bargy"

ya, you gotta love argy bargy!

devioustrevor
06-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Hopefully the game's not sold out. I'm going to go to Saputo and see if I can get a walk-up ticket to the game.

ensco
06-20-2009, 08:52 AM
Which fans will give the Impact a harder time:

The home fans today, or the Vancouver fans the next time they go out there?

Yohan
06-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Which fans will give the Impact a harder time:

The home fans today, or the Vancouver fans the next time they go out there?
well, the ultras are having a protest and not showing up for 1st half

Mojo
06-20-2009, 09:46 AM

So instead of having 100 fans they'll have 95 fans at the game?

SoccMan
06-20-2009, 11:32 AM
It just shows how big soccer is in Canada at least at the participation level for the CBC to dedicate over six hours to something like this, well done.

stugautz
06-20-2009, 11:39 AM
How could it be soccer day in Canada without the Canadian Champions playing? Nobody else has made a comment about that yet?

FluSH
06-20-2009, 11:41 AM

The Montreal Limp Act vs. Vancouver game on at 1:30 today could be quite interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised if a frickin hockey game broke out!

FYI: The Whitecaps had an internal fight between themselves... there is a video out there with Charles and Gbeke going at it... I smell fights for thsi game...

jloome
06-20-2009, 11:42 AM
I think if we'd played that way against Vancouver, it might well have been 4-0 or 5-0 as well. If I'm Dos Santos, I leave in all but a couple of the guys from the other night and let them prove a point.

Vancouver fans are wacked on this point; we dominated that game, it wasn't an Impact lie down. We just pressured full-field, constantly, and it worked, largely because our defenders held good shape and forced their chances to come from wide, where Frei had good angles.

FluSH
06-20-2009, 11:42 AM

Yeah it's pretty funny... they are going at the players though... stating:

"You play half-assed... we will then support half-assed"

TFC07
06-20-2009, 11:44 AM
FYI: The Whitecaps had an internal fight between themselves... there is a video out there with Charles and Gbeke going at it... I smell fights for thsi game...

What?! They fought each other because TFC won the tournament?????

FluSH
06-20-2009, 11:45 AM
What?! They fought each other because TFC won the tournament?????

No this was at a game before the TFC tourney... but I don't doubt they will be at each other's throats today...

let me find the link

rwvcOuAt7AI
watch after 7:40

TFC07
06-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Good god!!! WTF is CBC showing bunch of kids and soccer moms from Atlantic Canada and Alberta? I can't wait for Montreal-Vancouver game.

TFC07
06-20-2009, 11:54 AM
No this was at a game before the TFC tourney... but I don't doubt they will be at each other's throats today...

let me find the link

rwvcOuAt7AI

LMAO!!!!

That was funny! I hope we see something like that in today's game.

Redcoe15
06-20-2009, 11:56 AM

Schadenfreude never felt so good. :scarf: :D

NateDoGG
06-20-2009, 11:57 AM
this soccer day is shit without TFC

TFC07
06-20-2009, 12:02 PM
this soccer day is shit without TFC

Agreed.

BTW, Vancouver is Canada's hotbed for soccer???? That statement is true like 20 years ago, but now, Toronto is soccer hotbed in Canada.

EDIT: Vancouver's president/owner(?) is talking shit and how they're going to have better support than Toronto and Seattle.

Lennon
06-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Jaime Peters ... plays in the "English Champions League" ......... WTG CBC

SoccMan
06-20-2009, 12:06 PM
If it was not for the Soccer Moms or dads there would not be the DeRosarios or Brennans of the world. You have to start playing at a young age to have a chance at making it big one day. What the point of something like a Soccer Day is to show the country how big the game is at the grassroots level and how many people it takes to run soccer at this level.

Hooligan69
06-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Decent game so far. Almost saw an own goal.

Pachuco
06-20-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't see the Impact supporter's that are usually behind the net. Guess they did walk out after all

werewolf
06-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Quality finish by Placenta. Now its time for vancouver to put in a half-dozen :lol:

Hooligan69
06-20-2009, 01:16 PM
1-0 Montreal. We all know what happened last time they were up by a goal.

:lol:

manic.street.preacher
06-20-2009, 01:20 PM
i just want to say that i love nigel reed

"you can see this match streamed live on cbc.ca ... in punjabi. so if you don't want to listen to my voice, that's where you can go."

:rofl:

Ratven
06-20-2009, 01:33 PM
I gotta say I'm kinda pulling for Montreal... Vancouver can Eat It.

2-0 Montreal at the half

FluSH
06-20-2009, 01:36 PM

"you can see this match streamed live on cbc.ca ... in punjabi. so if you don't want to listen to my voice, that's where you can go."

Hahaha I heard that...

NIgel Reed is our best commentator... no questions about it... I would have prefered the Punjabi broadcast over Craig Forrest though...

werewolf
06-20-2009, 01:36 PM
LMAO

Joey Saputo apologizing to impact fans and vancouver for Thur. night.

Kaz
06-20-2009, 01:40 PM
I feel so bad for Vancouver, they are down two major players on suspension, and now Montreal looks to be beating them, just two days after losing 6-1 to TFC... the Fans are going to cry bloody murder in Vancouver...

Dub Narcotic
06-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Wow, Saputo with mea culpas to the fans and the Whitecaps. Says he ripped the players after the game. He also says it's *when*, not *if*, Montreal gets in to MLS, and that 2011 is a real possibliity.

Hooligan69
06-20-2009, 01:44 PM
I feel so bad for Vancouver, they are down two major players on suspension, and now Montreal looks to be beating them, just two days after losing 6-1 to TFC... the Fans are going to cry bloody murder in Vancouver...

I am crying my eyes out. :rofl:

werewolf
06-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Jason De Vos was told by "reliable sources" that the Montreal ultras weren't in attendance for the first half....really? he had to be told by sources to figure that out?

LOL

eustacchio
06-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Hahaha I heard that...

NIgel Reed is our best commentator... no questions about it... I would have prefered the Punjabi broadcast over Craig Forrest though...

especially when Forrest started talking about how he wondered if TFC would have scored six goals against today's Montreal line up, and Reed said, we'll never know the answer to that, but one thing is for sure Toronto FC fans don't care.

FluSH
06-20-2009, 01:50 PM
especially when Forrest started talking about how he wondered if TFC would have scored six goals against today's Montreal line up, and Reed said, we'll never know the answer to that, but one thing is for sure Toronto FC fans don't care.

That was Jason... slightly better than Forrest LOLZ

eustacchio
06-20-2009, 01:51 PM
my bad...for a second I thought you were addressing me personally...hahaha

Lucky Strike
06-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Earlier in the match, Placenta was called offside and I couldn't resist to shush him on TV. :D

TFC USA
06-20-2009, 01:57 PM
I like Scott Russell, but English Champions League? What the fuck?

Waggy
06-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Any one else surprised at how out of it Vancouvers looking? I figured theyd come out guns BLAZING.

Southsider
06-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Wow, that was a funny way to get a goal.

Cambridge_Red
Get in Vancouver on the come back lol

werewolf
good thing um02 showed up.

:lol:

TFC USA
06-20-2009, 02:07 PM
2-1. James scored.

Lucky Strike
06-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Vancouver with a goal, perhaps another epic collapse is in the making?

Lucky Strike
06-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Lol, why didn't Brown slide to get that? Pretty lazy.

Inklink
06-20-2009, 02:08 PM
I would've rather watched Spain/South Africa live in English than this USL game to be honest.

Southsider
06-20-2009, 02:10 PM
That had to be a revenge offside on Brown for yelling in his face.

Lucky Strike
06-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Lol @ DeVos: Vancouver trying to preserve a 1 goal deficit.

TFC07
06-20-2009, 02:13 PM

lmao! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BTW, I am going to check out this punjabi stream. lol

TFC07
06-20-2009, 02:20 PM
lmao! :rofl: :rofl:

BTW, I am going to check out this punjabi stream. lol

These Punjabi guys are too busy talking about Maradona and his visit to India and some youth teams in England instead of calling the game. :rofl:

TFC USA
06-20-2009, 02:21 PM
This game has been more exciting than the Confed Cup games.

Kaz
06-20-2009, 02:27 PM
ref's are annoying.. that is a front page story...

TFC USA
06-20-2009, 02:33 PM
7 minutes? ARE YOU SHITTING ME!!!!?

Southsider
06-20-2009, 02:34 PM
7 minutes! and we thought 4 was a crime . . .

Kaz
06-20-2009, 02:34 PM
has anyone ever heard of a game with 7 minutes of stoppage time?

well at least we know USL refs are worse then mls ones...

Krasno.pL.
06-20-2009, 02:35 PM
ive never seen 7 min of stoppage time in the 23 years ive played...
ridiculous for sureee...

TFC USA
06-20-2009, 02:36 PM
What a save by Jordan.

TFC USA
06-20-2009, 02:37 PM
In West Ham vs. Man City we had 11 minutes of stoppage time with a massive injury.

Kaz
06-20-2009, 02:40 PM
wait.. if it was 7 minutes of stoppage time, why'd the whistle plow before the 7 minute mark?

wtf was that?

Also Vancouver just showed why they didn't deserve the cup

Southsider
06-20-2009, 02:41 PM
That looked great on the shitecaps

Dunkers
06-20-2009, 02:42 PM
has anyone ever heard of a game with 7 minutes of stoppage time?

well at least we know USL refs are worse then mls ones...

How does this make a ref bad? I think its great, if a team is getting carded for time wasting in the second half, i think its a great message to send as a ref, it will take diving out of the game, players wont flop around on the pitch, if they know they are going to be nailed with 7 min of injury time, good on the ref!!!

Brooker
06-20-2009, 02:44 PM
poor vancouver.... poor poor vancouver....

GBV
06-20-2009, 02:48 PM
How does this make a ref bad? I think its great, if a team is getting carded for time wasting in the second half, i think its a great message to send as a ref, it will take diving out of the game, players wont flop around on the pitch, if they know they are going to be nailed with 7 min of injury time, good on the ref!!!

yeah, i'd be all for "injury" time actually being a second-by-second equivalent to how much bs time-wasting goes on.

manic.street.preacher
06-20-2009, 02:52 PM
POZ!

H Bomb
06-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Poz on TV

Hooligan69
06-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Confederation Cup game on CBC right now with no commentary whatsoever.

GBV
06-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Confederation Cup game on CBC right now with no commentary whatsoever.

which is better than Jason DeVos.
heeeyoooooooo.

Hooligan69
06-20-2009, 03:06 PM
All of a sudden commentary has been added to the game. :confused:

H Bomb
06-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Poz on TV

FluSH
06-20-2009, 03:12 PM
All of a sudden commentary has been added to the game. :confused:

DAmn! If it's not Nigel Reed take me to the Punjabi broadcast lol

Dalmond
06-20-2009, 03:43 PM
It is so nice to watch without commentary. Hopefully CBC can make it a regular feature on the second audio channel.

devioustrevor
06-20-2009, 04:20 PM
I went to the game at Saputo and while I didn't deck myself out in TFC red (although I did wear my blue TFC cap as it's the only lid I brought to Montreal) I still got some looks. No negative comments though, but some positive ones. Including from a member of Montreal's office staff his name was Mike something and I believe he was Director of Corporate Sales or something like that and before the game we had a nice approximately 20 minute talk about Thursdays game (and the Southsiders reaction to it), the state of Soccer in Canada and Soccer in General. He confirmed that even after the Champions League run season tickets sales did go down slightly, but all corporate partners re-upped their deals which made them a lot more money that they lost with the slight season ticket decline. He also said that while the friendlies later this month and in early July with the Syrian and Haitian National Teams would be at Saputo, that the friendlies with Bordeaux and Guingamps would be at the Big O.

About the Southsiders claiming Montreal threw the match he shook his head and sighed saying that every keeper needs a game off now and then and that Montreal's entire first-choice backline was injured and that Stefano Pesoli was making his first appearance of the season today. We talkied about player development including the academy programs of Vancouver (which we both admitted was far ahead of either Toronto or Montreal's. He also indicated his belief that Vancouver having a women's academy program meant their development program would put Torotno and Montreal's to shame for quite awhile yet). He said that since pretty much every TFC supporter on Thursday was in 223 that they have a pretty fair idea how big our total travelling contingent was and it was over 300, but less than 400. He also said we rocked the place on Thursday.

As for today, other than 8 guys that did show up UM02's first-half boycott was a truly complete event. It's also quite possible that those 8 guys in their cauldron were just random jackasses wanting to stand on the terraces instead of sitting in seats. When UM02 did show up there was hardly any spectacle other than a few people asking where they came from. But once they got organized they were effective. Montreal gave away a bunch of lamenated noise-makers (which I made sure to get one of) but even with 10,000 poseurs making noise with them you could still hear UM02 most of the time. I did notice a few times that Saputo Stadium pumped in noise to prime the crowd, pretty sad really. Today's announced attendance was 12,671 and while the crowd was definitely much bigger than Thursday night, the number was still inflated by probably 1,500-2,000.

There were a lot of kids and parents at the game, way moreso that Thursday night.

I showed up really early wanting to get a ticket in fears that the game would be sold out and while waiting for the ticket booths to open up I got to meet Sandro Grande and tell him how well I thought he played in the Champions League against Santos Laguna. He seemed to appreciate it. Also, he is small. Really, really small. But so where a lot of the players. Gordon Chin of Vancouver looked like a 12 year old out there.

I thought Vancouver a little unfortunate to lose today. Before Placentino's opener against the run of play Vancouver was dominating. Also Matt Jordan saved Montreal's ass today. Vancouver probably should've had 3 or 4 goals. After watching Montreal's defence today I can safely say I doubt Jordan playing on Thursday would've made much of a difference. Before the game Montreal's goalkeeping coach (who apparently is a former Moroccan NTer) spent a lot of time with Srdjan working on crosses and high balls. Srdjan also seems a little short to be playing keeper.

In the battle of Talismanic Midfielders Grande definitely had the edge on Martin Nash today. Nash didn't look very impressive today at all.

FluSH
06-20-2009, 06:39 PM
^^^
Great report... I too thought that Jordan had one heck of a game in net... yes every keeper needs his day off... and also I can't think of one keeper that would want a 6-1 trump on their resume... so I can't see Djekanović willingly throwing out the game...

Toronto Ruffrider
06-21-2009, 02:42 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. In CONCACAF, you see way too much time wasting. Why do players waste time? Because they know that the ref will never add as much time to the end of each half as he should.

When it comes to stoppage time - and that's what I call added time, as it includes more than time added for injuries - refs should add as much time as was lost, regardless of what the norm is. If no time is lost, no stoppage time should be given; if 10 minutes are lost, 10 minutes should be added.

Crazy Canuck
06-21-2009, 09:26 PM

let me find the link

rwvcOuAt7AI

What happened with the two whitcap players, I can't say I've seen two teammates fight while playing a winning game.

Wilbix
06-22-2009, 07:30 AM
I agree wholeheartedly. In CONCACAF, you see way too much time wasting. Why do players waste time? Because they know that the ref will never add as much time to the end of each half as he should.

When it comes to stoppage time - and that's what I call added time, as it includes more than time added for injuries - refs should add as much time as was lost, regardless of what the norm is. If no time is lost, no stoppage time should be given; if 10 minutes are lost, 10 minutes should be added.

I'd like to see go to a system similar to how rugby is now played. Whenever there is a stoppage (injury, substitution, somebody needs to be chewed out/carded) the referee calls for the clock to be stopped, and then restarted when play is ready to resume. When time has expired, a horn is blown in the stadium, and the current play is played to completion. Once the ball is out of play, the half (or game) is over. No judgement calls, no advantage to faking injuries - just the correct amount of time played in a match!