PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Saturday, Jun.20

denime
06-20-2009, 07:12 AM
Mornin'

Big win is just the start, vow Toronto FC players
Clinching Canadian title `a huge boost' says delighted De Rosario
Daniel Girard
MONTREAL–It's the type of victory that can transform a season.
Toronto FC, a box-office smash but on-field bust over its initial two years of existence, claimed its first trophy here Thursday night, capturing the Canadian championship with a stunning 6-1 defeat of the Montreal Impact.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/653950

TFC set for a hot time
LANCE HORNBY (lance.hornby@sunmedia.ca)
Toronto FC might want to keep those thick woolly team scarves at home when it goes island hopping for a first taste of CONCACAF tournament play.
While the home-and-home dates with the United Soccer League's Puerto Rico Islanders are not set, Toronto will be going to the U.S. territory in the first week of August, when it is often rainy and steamy with a high of around 90.

Read More (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2009/06/20/9868601-sun.html)

Loss to TFC still bothering Impact
Randy Phillips
MONTREAL -- Nick De Santis says Soccer Day in Canada is an opportunity for the Montreal Impact to make things right.
The Impact host the Vancouver Whitecaps in league action on Saturday, a little a more than 36 hours after being embarrassed 6-1 by Toronto FC in the finale of the Nutrilite Canadian Championship.

Read More (http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=1714664)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

scooter
06-20-2009, 07:31 AM
mornin d

Nerepis
06-20-2009, 07:53 AM
There's always two sides to the coin our "Miracle in Montreal" is labeled in Montreal as "The debacle at Saputo Stadium" and "The nightmare against TFC." ROFL! I'm still buzzing from this win.

jabbronies
06-20-2009, 08:30 AM
I didn't know Puerto Rico Islanders are a USL team.

London
06-20-2009, 09:36 AM
I didn't know Puerto Rico Islanders are a USL team.

they won the USL title 2 seasons ago, this is a very good USL squad, probably better than the whitecaps!!

rocker
06-20-2009, 10:59 AM
ya know, normally I wouldn't agree with an Impact official... but I have to agree with DeSantis on this:

"One is of a team that needs to win at all cost, is going to impose the game on you, and will do everything to win and we saw that. Then you have a team, that while it wants to do well, doesn't have the same mindset."

This, to me, was the key part of the game. TFC knew it needed a load of goals, while the other team was eliminated. In that situation it's probably gonna be a blowout.

Lucky Strike
06-20-2009, 11:17 AM
they won the USL title 2 seasons ago, this is a very good USL squad, probably better than the whitecaps!!

Indeed. They lie 3rd (of 11) in the USL and have beaten both Montreal and Vancouver in Puerto Rico. This isn't going to be easy for sure.

massive_magpie
06-20-2009, 11:42 AM
From Velez's Wikipedia page:

Vélez signed with the Puerto Rico Islanders in 2005, where he scored 2 goals in 22 games playing as a defender. During the 2006 season, Vélez was instrumental in the Islanders' run to the playoffs and their qualification for the CONCACAF Champions Cup, the first time in team history thay they had qualified for either tournament. Vélez was selected to be the Islanders' captain during the CONCACAF Champions Cup qualifiers.

They can't be THAT good :D

Marc"2L"
06-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Wasn't there rumblings of a Hamilton USL team? A 4th team would certainly help this "We need to win - We don't care" situation from ever happening again.

Then again USL might not be around in 2 years or so.

Marc"2L"
06-20-2009, 11:48 AM
From Velez's Wikipedia page:

They can't be THAT good :D

Are we still taking shots at Marco?

I know he's not the most talented player on the team but come on. Was it not him who took the believe banner?

Redcoe15
06-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Loss to TFC still bothering Impact
Randy Phillips
MONTREAL -- Nick De Santis says Soccer Day in Canada is an opportunity for the Montreal Impact to make things right.
The Impact host the Vancouver Whitecaps in league action on Saturday, a little a more than 36 hours after being embarrassed 6-1 by Toronto FC in the finale of the Nutrilite Canadian Championship.

Read More (http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=1714664)
:violin:

greatwhitenorf
06-20-2009, 03:49 PM
And with a win today - 2-1 over the Tightcaps - the Impact are vindicated in their decision on Thursday. We can go back to respecting them.

Somewhat.

Hooligan69
06-20-2009, 03:50 PM
And with a win today - 2-1 over the Tightcaps - the Impact are vindicated in their decision on Thursday. We can go back to respecting them.

Somewhat.

Respecting them? Cold day in hell before I do that.

Roogsy
06-20-2009, 05:47 PM
The point is the Impact made the right decision. Not because it benefited TFC but because they knew they had a big league game coming up and putting out a full squad for a meaningless game is STUPID.

Real Madrid anyone?

CretanBull
06-20-2009, 06:15 PM
^ A lot of people were mad at Man U on the final game of the year for resting some of their top players vs. Hull when so much was at stake for the other clubs facing relagation. The bottom line is that a team has to act in it's own self-interest and they shouldn't be critizied for doing. They have to take care of themselves first, appeal to their fan base first etc.

Oldtimer
06-20-2009, 08:22 PM
^ A lot of people were mad at Man U on the final game of the year for resting some of their top players vs. Hull when so much was at stake for the other clubs facing relagation. The bottom line is that a team has to act in it's own self-interest and they shouldn't be critizied for doing. They have to take care of themselves first, appeal to their fan base first etc.

Exactly.

trane
06-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Agree with the last three posts.