PDA

View Full Version : Player incentive for winning

mastermixer
06-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Just wondering... is there a pay bonus to the players for winning these concacaf games? I would assume so, but I was just wondering if anyone had any details.

bhoybobby
06-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Yeah, you don't get your ass booted out the door ala Rohan

TFCRegina
06-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Players who are on winning teams are worth more money. Nobody wants choke artists or lazy asses.

James17930
06-19-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm sure there are financial incentives in their contracts depending on how far they get in both the MLS play-offs and the Champions League.

But I don't have actual proof.

BakaGaijin
06-19-2009, 09:34 PM
^^^^

As per the CBA, it all depends on wether the Voyageurs Cup was a compulsory tournament or not. If it was cumpulsory, then the players would share 50% of the prize money (because there is no way in hell the prize money is over $200 000). If it's not compulsory, then ML$E could pay them whatever they want to pay them (this sounds like a possible loophole to exceed the salary cap - Mo, are you taking notes?!?!). However, there have been changes to the format of the "Champions Cup" since the CBA was drawn up, so I am sure that MLS and the union have met to change the contract somewhat.

Anyways, here's the compensation as per the most recent CBA:

(vii) Tournaments and Exhibition Games: If an MLS Team or MLS receives prize
money by virtue of the Team’s performance and/or participation in a compulsory tournament
(i.e., where MLS is required to participate by U.S. Soccer, CONCACAF or FIFA), Players
competing in that tournament will receive the following:
(a) if the Team or MLS receives up to $200,000 in prize money, fifty percent
(50%) of such prize money; or
(b) if the Team or MLS receives prize money in excess of $200,000, the
Players will receive 50% of the first $200,000 and thirty percent (30%) of
amounts over $200,000, up to a maximum payment to the Players
(collectively) of $200,000.
(c) With respect to the CONCACAF Champions Cup tournament, the
following prize money shall be paid to each team, unless the amount in (a)
or (b) above is greater, in which case the amount in (a) or (b) above shall
be paid:
Team advances to quarter final: $11,000
Team advances to semi-final: $16,500 additional ($27,500 total)
Team advances to final: $22,000 additional ($49,500 total)
Team wins final: $27,500 additional ($77,000 total).
Notwithstanding the above, in the event of CONCACAF Champions Cup
format changes, MLS and the Union shall meet and confer concerning
amendments to the above bonus schedule. In no event shall the potential
prize money decrease as a result of such format changes.
Neither MLS nor any MLS Team shall be required to pay Players a portion of any compensation
MLS or the Team receives in conjunction with participation in a Non-Compulsory Tournament,
but nothing in this CBA shall prohibit MLS or a Team, in its sole discretion, from voluntarily
making payments to Players in connection with such tournaments.

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/collective_bargaining_agreement__final.pdf

Baggio2TFC
06-19-2009, 09:40 PM
So. if TFC win CCL, they get $77,000 to split?? 50% of that goes to the team? That is MLS paying out right? Not CONCACAF?

Confused?!

BakaGaijin
06-19-2009, 09:48 PM
This wording is starting to intrigue me:

"Neither MLS nor any MLS Team shall be required to pay Players a portion of any compensation MLS or the Team receives in conjunction with participation in a Non-Compulsory Tournament, but nothing in this CBA shall prohibit MLS or a Team, in its sole discretion, from voluntarily making payments to Players in connection with such tournaments."

So........we don't have to pay a player to compete in the Carlsburg Cup.....however, what if we wanted to sign player X at some point in the season and player X wanted $500 000 in compensation but we only have $300 000 in cap space? Couldn't we just pay him $200 000 to appear in the prestigious Carlsburg Cup and skirt the salary cap rules?

BakaGaijin
06-19-2009, 09:52 PM
So. if TFC win CCL, they get $77,000 to split?? 50% of that goes to the team? That is MLS paying out right? Not CONCACAF?

Confused?!

The prize money is split between the team and the players. It's probably a combination of funds from MLS and CONCACAF. All the leagues are partners with CONCACAF in the Champions League.

$77 000 would have been the compensation when this CBA was first drawn up. Further down it states that MLS and the union will meet to make ammendments to compensation if the format of the tourney changes.

The format did change and I am sure the compensation is a lot more because the revenues are probably also a lot more. Remember how much smaller the Champions Cup tournament was?

TFCRegina
06-19-2009, 10:21 PM
This wording is starting to intrigue me:

"Neither MLS nor any MLS Team shall be required to pay Players a portion of any compensation MLS or the Team receives in conjunction with participation in a Non-Compulsory Tournament, but nothing in this CBA shall prohibit MLS or a Team, in its sole discretion, from voluntarily making payments to Players in connection with such tournaments."

So........we don't have to pay a player to compete in the Carlsburg Cup.....however, what if we wanted to sign player X at some point in the season and player X wanted $500 000 in compensation but we only have $300 000 in cap space? Couldn't we just pay him $200 000 to appear in the prestigious Carlsburg Cup and skirt the salary cap rules?

Short Answer: Yes
Long Answer: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssss

Pretty sure this is how Beckham and Donovan stayed playing on the same team. Even with the Beckham rule counting only part of their salaries, that team should be way over the cap.