PDA

View Full Version : New developments on McBride?

Pachuco
06-03-2008, 11:32 AM
After deciding that his time at Craven Cottage was up, reports are filtering through that our former centre-forward Brian McBride has found a new club.

If the reports are correct, then the ex-American international, will shortly sign for Chicago Fire.

Here at Vital Fulham, we'll endeavour to keep you informed of any developments whilst also trying, if the move materialises, to keep you informed of his progress.
[/URL]

[URL]http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=111578 (http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/World+Leagues/US+Major+League+Soccer)

flatpicker
06-03-2008, 11:32 AM
hmmm....

Oblio2
06-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Well, he can't sign with them till we let him go.

Oldtimer
06-03-2008, 11:49 AM
So did Mo waive our rights and keep the top allocation?
Did Mo take the top allocation and trade McBride's rights for something big?
Is McBride coming here after being sweet-talked by Mo?

Stay tuned sports fans...

jloome
06-03-2008, 11:50 AM
If the purpose of this particular thread is to answer the question it poses then, NO, this isn't new, because there's no source or context.

If it's to keep the McBride discussion going, woo hoo!

Technorgasm
06-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Well, he can't sign with them till we let him go.

GUILDWOOOooooooD what what!

see you at The Guild Inn! haha

Waiting to see what Mo has done with this, . . .

Oblio2
06-03-2008, 11:54 AM
GUILDWOOOooooooD what what!

see you at The Guild Inn! haha

Waiting to see what Mo has done with this, . . .

Guildwood...represssssent!!!! :hump:
lol

DOMIN8R
06-03-2008, 12:09 PM
I predict a 3 way trade to make this happen.

Steve
06-03-2008, 12:12 PM
So did Mo waive our rights and keep the top allocation?
Did Mo take the top allocation and trade McBride's rights for something big?
Is McBride coming here after being sweet-talked by Mo?

Stay tuned sports fans...

My question is, why would we keep the top allocation? Passing on this one doesn't make too much sense to me (since I'm assuming we have a few discovery claims left to get around using it as a tie-breaker, and we have less use for, and are less attractive to, USMNT players). Brian McBride is the biggest usage for the ranking this year, blow it and see what comes (or just block them getting McBride, they're too good as it is).

noochie
06-03-2008, 12:24 PM
My question is, why would we keep the top allocation? Passing on this one doesn't make too much sense to me (since I'm assuming we have a few discovery claims left to get around using it as a tie-breaker, and we have less use for, and are less attractive to, USMNT players). Brian McBride is the biggest usage for the ranking this year, blow it and see what comes (or just block them getting McBride, they're too good as it is).

Agreed. There is no chance we are passing up on this. Allocations are only useful for players coming BACK to MLS or non-team-specific player signings by MLS. We have discovery claims for new blood as Steve mentions here.

Milk it for all its worth Uncle Mo.

Shaughno
06-03-2008, 12:25 PM

Pretty much agree. Why let Chicago snap him up. They're playing amazing right now and have basically two games in hand which potentially puts them in first place at the current rate.

If they feel they need him bad enough, they'll offer something. If not, why WOULDN'T we keep him. Especially as it seems he won't be signing for DP status. B.McB is a HUGE upgrade on our current forwards.

Artur3575
06-03-2008, 12:29 PM
something has to happen soon,i hope with our team playing pretty good with a good striker we can make a great push...

Steve
06-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Here's my question:

I've read through all of the pertainant rules, and think I understand most of how this works, but there is one scenario I'm not certain of.

What happens if Brian McBride agrees to sign with the MLS, we use our allocation on him, and he backs out of his contract (because he doesn't want to play here). Is that allocation used up, or is it returned to us because the player in question broke his contract (through no fault of our own). I mean, I know if a player doesn't work out, we're on the line, but if a player goes back on his word before it starts, are we still?

I guess the question is, does allocation come into play before or after the player signs (do we need to use it for the right to sign him, on just for the player afterwards).

ensco
06-03-2008, 12:30 PM
That story looks like a rewrite of other earlier stories, it has no new facts at all

Shaughno
06-03-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure Steve. The whole Guevara situation really threw me for a loop last year and I'm still not concrete on what would happen.

noochie
06-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Here's my question:

I've read through all of the pertainant rules, and think I understand most of how this works, but there is one scenario I'm not certain of.

What happens if Brian McBride agrees to sign with the MLS, we use our allocation on him, and he backs out of his contract (because he doesn't want to play here). Is that allocation used up, or is it returned to us because the player in question broke his contract (through no fault of our own). I mean, I know if a player doesn't work out, we're on the line, but if a player goes back on his word before it starts, are we still?

I guess the question is, does allocation come into play before or after the player signs (do we need to use it for the right to sign him, on just for the player afterwards).

The allocation rule is really up in the air. The league still holds much discretion around the usage of these slots. I imagine that in the case you mention that the league would do one of two things:

1. Move Toronto back on top of the allocation order.
2. More likely, receive allocation money as compensation

Pachuco
06-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Pretty much agree. Why let Chicago snap him up. They're playing amazing right now and have basically two games in hand which potentially puts them in first place at the current rate.

If they feel they need him bad enough, they'll offer something. If not, why WOULDN'T we keep him. Especially as it seems he won't be signing for DP status. B.McB is a HUGE upgrade on our current forwards.

I think the answer to that is pretty simple. He don't want to play here, and we don't have a choice but to trade for him. There's nothing MLS or anyone could do if he doesn't want to be here. Remember when Guevara didn't want to be here? he left to Honduras. McBride will retire before he plays here, specially for none DP money.

Broadview
06-03-2008, 01:12 PM
With Guevara, Chivas still owned his rights and they could do whatever thay wanted with him. They certainly didn't want him on their team after the way he left just last year. Lots of teams were wary of him so there wasn't crazy demand. Even what we gave up for him was merely "conditional picks" depending on how things played out.

McBride's been out of the league so long that no MLS team owns his rights anymore, so his playing rights go into the allocation pool, at which we are at the top.

Shaughno
06-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Yeah Pachuco, totally different situations and not comparable at all. Apples to Oranges on that one.

nascarguy
06-03-2008, 01:21 PM
McBride is old he will retire he only has 2 or 3 years left in him I say let Chicago have but we get there dp if they want him that bad or or i say we tell him he is playing for us or you can not play in the mls.. he would want to be pay DP money

Marc"2L"
06-03-2008, 01:42 PM
This league will do anything if it means keeping or increasing the money coming in.

They bend the rules for Landycakes twice. (Allocation + current DP bullshit)
They'll do it for us too.

Fort York Redcoat
06-03-2008, 01:42 PM
McBride won't be a DP? Now we're talking...

noochie
06-03-2008, 02:20 PM
McBride is old he will retire he only has 2 or 3 years left in him I say let Chicago have but we get there dp if they want him that bad or or i say we tell him he is playing for us or you can not play in the mls.. he would want to be pay DP money

Chigaco does not have a DP slot to trade. They have Blanco. Unless you meant that we get Blanco... which ain't gonna happen.

McBride won't be a DP? Now we're talking...

He would likely only give Chicago the hometown discount. Anywhere else he would command DP salary... of course if he would play anywhere else.

sully
06-03-2008, 02:20 PM
hmmm..what are the new developments?

noochie
06-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Nothing official but the article seemed to apply that the signing is imminent (to Chicago). As in... perhaps something has already been worked out. Then again, it isn't really new news, seems credible though coming from a Fulham website.

Pachuco
06-03-2008, 02:32 PM
yeah the new development from this article is that it implies a deal has been made or is imminent with Chicago. Yesterday's news was more around teams being interested in him. Can't wait to see what happens

T_Mizz
06-03-2008, 03:15 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again Mcbride isn't coming here he's going to Fire and there's nothing that anyone can do about it, regardless of allocations. Dallas had the first allocation when Donovan came back and the first superdraft pick when Adu was drafted but the league stepped in and sent Landycakes to LA and Adu to DC

noochie
06-03-2008, 03:25 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again Mcbride isn't coming here he's going to Fire and there's nothing that anyone can do about it, regardless of allocations. Dallas had the first allocation when Donovan came back and the first superdraft pick when Adu was drafted but the league stepped in and sent Landycakes to LA and Adu to DC

And in both cases the opposing side were compensated nicely, so we still win even if the league steps in. You make it sound like we get nothing. Dallas got Ruiz (a player who at the time had 50 goals in 70 matches) in the Donovan (and continued to produce at the same rate as Donovan after the trade). And in the Adu case, they got an entire extra player allocation while still getting 2 first round picks.

noochie
06-03-2008, 03:26 PM
besides... the league has come a ways in the last few years, have some faith in Uncle Mo :)

BeachRed
06-03-2008, 03:37 PM
And in both cases the opposing side were compensated nicely, so we still win even if the league steps in. You make it sound like we get nothing. Dallas got Ruiz (a player who at the time had 50 goals in 70 matches) in the Donovan (and continued to produce at the same rate as Donovan after the trade). And in the Adu case, they got an entire extra player allocation while still getting 2 first round picks.

Wait, you make it sound as though the league is doing a good job of making it easy for established American players to return the MLS - something that might actually help the league - and is compensating the other teams involved. Can that be possible? :wink5:

T_Mizz
06-03-2008, 05:15 PM
I have nothing against Uncle Mo I wouldkill to actually be related but this is like when JDG (the bad one) might play for us and I didn't get my hopes up because thats how you get crushed but don't be surprised if we get jipped.

rocker
06-03-2008, 05:17 PM
here's a goodbye video Fulham created as a tribute to McBride

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2008/May/McBrideSalute.aspx

nascarguy
06-03-2008, 05:30 PM
mo know what he is doing

kdzb
06-03-2008, 06:21 PM

I don't think the league will try to screw us up. They will really look like a bush league if they do that.
I'm confident that we will be in a winning situation at the end of this deal.
Remember this is just an icing on the cake for us...nobody knew that McBride was coming home.
Only if Mo reads into the future :p Tell us Mo is Sheva going to be our DP ?

Bender
06-03-2008, 06:53 PM
I don't think the league will try to screw us up. They will really look like a bush league if they do that.
I'm confident that we will be in a winning situation at the end of this deal.
Remember this is just an icing on the cake for us...nobody knew that McBride was coming home.
Only if Mo reads into the future :p Tell us Mo is Sheva going to be our DP ?

oh god please please please please please be Shevaaaaaaa i'd also settle for Klose ;)

Toronto_Bhoy
06-03-2008, 07:28 PM
As I said on the other McBride thread...I have two words for the Fire and League...FUCK OFF!

We are not in the charity business...we are in the winning business...McBride is a decent footballer who I would like to see in a TFC uniform...however if he (and others) wish to see him in an other uniform...he can...for equal value!

If not...I wish Brian all the best in his "early" retirement!

sully
06-03-2008, 07:37 PM
As I said on the other McBride thread...I have two words for the Fire and League...FUCK OFF!

We are not in the charity business...we are in the winning business...McBride is a decent footballer who I would like to see in a TFC uniform...however if he (and others) wish to see him in an other uniform...he can...for equal value!

If not...I wish Brian all the best in his "early" retirement!

absolutely.. (except the like seeing in a Toronto jersey part..)

nascarguy
06-03-2008, 07:56 PM
I think i would take Chad Barrett (http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t100&player=barrett_c&playerId=bar569516&statType=current) and allocation money
or
2 players Chad Barrett (http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t100&player=barrett_c&playerId=bar569516&statType=current) & John Thorrington (http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t100&player=thorrington_j&playerId=tho577109&statType=current)

and one more think is McBride a diver if he is not on our team he could get a spot on my banner with Blanco

DigzTFC!
06-03-2008, 08:56 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/soccer_redcard/2008/05/mcbride-sitting.html

"The league isn't in a rush," Matthew said of Brian's situation. "But Brian has to tell U.S. soccer pretty soon whether he will be part of the Olympic team or not."

Even if a deal is worked out between the Fire and Toronto for McBride, he would not be able to join the Fire until the July 15 transfer window. He is not expected to leave England until mid June when his kids are out of school.

"I think from [Brian's perspective], he's been on the road a lot of years and is excited to come home," said Matthew.

I don't know if this has been talked about, but this is pretty revealing about the difficulties McBride has given the Fire. One, he has to wait for his kids to get out of school to play come July 15th and on top of that he's contemplating going to the Olympics. Both his agent and McBride know the rules around the MLS, so they're really just being tits about the whole thing. On top of that, he thinks he has a year and half is left in the tank. So lets do the math, 1 and 1/2 with 3 months dedicated Olympics and moving = 2 months going into playoffs and one full year playing with the fire. What GM would do this deal? The fire will have to give up draft picks and allocation or a young forward for 35 year old forward that doesn't plan on hanging around all that much? If anyone wants that deal TFC will accomodate. I just hope a guy like Benny Feilhaber doesn't decide to come back too and we lose in the long run in getting someone else for picks and allocation

Blixa
06-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Don't worry, Mo will figure this one out and will milk this cow for all it's worth.

Damien
06-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Rumors swirling that Chicago may part with Wilman Conde (http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t100&player=conde_w&playerId=con160317&statType=current) or Justin Mapp (http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t100&player=mapp_j&playerId=map504282&statType=current)..... though Mapp is a midfielder and we're deep at midfield already. I know Conde wants out of Chicago.

Chad Barrett (http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t100&player=barrett_c&playerId=bar569516&statType=current) would be a nice pickup.

Pachuco
06-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Rumors swirling that Chicago may part with Wilman Conde (http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t100&player=conde_w&playerId=con160317&statType=current) or Justin Mapp (http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t100&player=mapp_j&playerId=map504282&statType=current)..... though Mapp is a midfielder and we're deep at midfield already. I know Conde wants out of Chicago.

Chad Barrett (http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t100&player=barrett_c&playerId=bar569516&statType=current) would be a nice pickup.

Link?

rocker
06-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Conde's been dying to go to NYRB tho right? he's the guy who wanted to be reunited with Osario and has been sulking.

jabbronies
06-04-2008, 10:42 AM
get Conde and then trade his ass right away.

Razcle
06-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Yha I don't want Conde...maybe there is someone on NYRB that we can take to send Conde over there.....come on trader mo!

deltox
06-04-2008, 10:57 AM
am i wrong here? isnt the olympic games for u23 only?

Razcle
06-04-2008, 10:58 AM
am i wrong here? isnt the olympic games for u23 only?

You are right....but each team is allowed 3 overage players. So that's where McBride would fit in. I believe the coach already said he would hold a spot of him as well.

deltox
06-04-2008, 11:00 AM
cheers

Pachuco
06-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Yha I don't want Conde...maybe there is someone on NYRB that we can take to send Conde over there.....come on trader mo!

With altidore gone, I don't see them giving us any kind of striker, although I'll take Richards for Conde any day.

Steve
06-04-2008, 12:39 PM
You are right....but each team is allowed 3 overage players. So that's where McBride would fit in. I believe the coach already said he would hold a spot of him as well.

I hate this rule. It means that we might very well lose Amado for the whole month of August (just when we need to be making a huge push for the playoffs). I don't necessarily blame him for going, but I do wish he would choose TFC over the Olympics (who cares about olympic soccer anyway).

rocker
06-04-2008, 12:56 PM
I hate this rule. It means that we might very well lose Amado for the whole month of August (just when we need to be making a huge push for the playoffs). I don't necessarily blame him for going, but I do wish he would choose TFC over the Olympics (who cares about olympic soccer anyway).

i'm not sure if Amado is gonna go.. he has a World Cup Qualifier during the month of the Olympics and surely they'd want him for that. I also don't believe TFC has to let him go for the Olympics anyways.

Oldtimer
06-06-2008, 07:38 AM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/soccer_redcard/2008/05/mcbride-sitting.html

Even if a deal is worked out between the Fire and Toronto for McBride, he would not be able to join the Fire until the July 15 transfer window. He is not expected to leave England until mid June when his kids are out of school.

The blog is incorrect on this point (what, a North American journalist get something wrong about footie? :rolleyes:). Under FIFA rules, the transfer window that applies is that of the receiving league. He can join June 15th. However, school might get in the way...

The registration windows - the dates between which MLS may request the transfer certificate of an international player are as follows: January 15 - April 15 (Primary Window)
June 15 - August 15 (Secondary Window)

http://web.mlsnet.com/about/league.jsp?section=regulations&content=overview

The July 15th date is for players going to Europe.

Pachuco
06-09-2008, 09:32 AM
The blog is incorrect on this point (what, a North American journalist get something wrong about footie? :rolleyes:). Under FIFA rules, the transfer window that applies is that of the receiving league. He can join June 15th. However, school might get in the way...

http://web.mlsnet.com/about/league.jsp?section=regulations&content=overview

The July 15th date is for players going to Europe.

You know, I was pretty sure the transfer window opened June 15th. But for some reason there are more then just this website saying it's July 15th. I'm confused.