PDA

View Full Version : Is Mo's job safe now that we won the Canadian Championship?

Damien
06-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Just curious because I think personally it depends on how well we do in the Champions League... and if we get knocked out quick then we better make the playoffs.

D.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Hos job is safe till the end of the 5th yr...then go from there....there is no point in having a 5 year plan and give up on it during year 3..see it out,
we are making progress as last nights game proved...

1) we have won our first Trophy
2) we have advanced to the Concacaf Champions league Prelims
3) we are still in playoff shot in MLS
4) better players are coming in

lets give him another 2 years..

gtaguy
06-19-2009, 02:46 PM
no matter what we do or say the decision will never lie with us. When ml$e says he goes then he goes.. but it will never be a decision made becuase the supporters demand it..

BeninatoTFC
06-19-2009, 02:48 PM
If we miss the playoffs again and bow out early in the Champions League the clock is ticking. Beating down a team who played with no heart, desire, passion, and their best players in a lower league is far from a job saver.

Jack
06-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Playoffs and Canadian Championship were the goals set out this season.

If they are reached, then I don't see how he could lose his job.

dantdot
06-19-2009, 03:02 PM
It doesn't hurt. He'd be safe if we make playoffs, if we suffer some kind of late season collapse then I'd call for his head.

TFC USA
06-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Fuck the 5 year plan. We've got part 1 done now we need to take care of business in the league and not embarrass ourselves in the CCL.

I think Mo will stay even after the 5 year plan. One win doesn't change everything. He's still not good in my book but he gets a reprieve for last night.

If we start to tank it in the league then I want him out immediately. Otherwise until season's end to determine his fate.

trane
06-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Jack,

Agreed, I wanted to see him fired, when the team that he put together put itself in a seemingly impossible goal, but now that same team has gotten intself out. But playoffs remains a goal. His performance shuold be reviewed at the end of the year.

I also do not want to put a damper on this but everything is relative, the boys were amazing, and I think that this game was a turning point which should carry over. It also gave me more reason to make my mind positively about Cummins. Not everything he has done has worked, but he has shown a willigness and ability to make the changes needed to try and get the results.

FluSH
06-19-2009, 03:09 PM
The players made history yesterday... The players saved Mo Johnston's bacon

Yohan
06-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Jack,

Agreed, I wanted to see him fired, when the team that he put together put itself in a seemingly impossible goal, but now that same team has gotten intself out. But playoffs remains a goal. His performance shuold be reviewed at the end of the year.
The team Mo put together can play some really damn good football, as proven by last night, vs Chivas and away at KC.

It's just whether the team can do it on consistent basis. That's when team chemistry comes into play.

It just seems TFC is full of talented technical players, but mentally not so good, or guys who have their head on straight, but lacks technical ability

mclaren
06-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Hell No!!!

trane
06-19-2009, 03:25 PM
The team Mo put together can play some really damn good football, as proven by last night, vs Chivas and away at KC.

It's just whether the team can do it on consistent basis. That's when team chemistry comes into play.

It just seems TFC is full of talented technical players, but mentally not so good, or guys who have their head on straight, but lacks technical ability

I tend to agree with this, I think the right manager is key. Cummins seems to be the right manager. Ultimatly even that selction is Mo's responsability.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2009, 03:28 PM

but all those games were on grass...but thats another topic!!

Yohan
06-19-2009, 03:29 PM
but all those games were on grass...but thats another topic!!
chivas game was played in BMO.

Beach_Red
06-19-2009, 03:40 PM
It'll have to be at the end of the contract because MLSE will never let someone go if it means paying two managers at the same time. How much is left on his contract?

And now expectations will be even higher for the next manager, and of course, he'll demand a longer contract and his own multi-year plan and he'll gut the team and start over. No one would keep a team that got the last guy fired.

Like him or not, Mo's teams have been improving. What should happen now is MLSE should actually let him sign a DP.

Davenport
06-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Is this a serious question ?
We beat a team 2 levels below us who had nothing to play for and suddenly everyone's forgotten what the team is really like.
Of course he should go.

Jack
06-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Is this a serious question ?
We beat a team 2 levels below us who had nothing to play for and suddenly everyone's forgotten what the team is really like.
Of course he should go.
How about you make that call at the end of the season?

Shakes McQueen
06-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Playoffs and Canadian Championship were the goals set out this season.

If they are reached, then I don't see how he could lose his job.

Yep. Before this season started, most people here said the goal for the team was to win the NCC, and make the playoffs

If we accomplsih both, then I don't see how you get rid of Mo. If we accomplish only one of them - well, I suppose it depends on how the team loks for the rest of the season.

We are right in the thick of the playoff picture though.

- Scott

trane
06-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Seriously it is about the bottom line, not personal like or dislikes. However, unlikely it seemed Mo has deliverd on one goal, he has eanred a chance to deliver on the secong. That is the bottom line in my books.

Davenport
06-19-2009, 04:22 PM
How about you make that call at the end of the season?

Look at the table. NE have 2 games in hand on us and are just 3 points behind.
I know, I know.... we'd be only 1 point behind DC if we won our game, but the problem is we've got a lot of away games still to play and we don't win many of those.
This is his third year and still no DP or recognised striker.

clubgpwltptsD.C. United (http://www.dcunited.com/)1552823Chicago (http://chicago.fire.mlsnet.com/t100/)1453621Kansas City (http://kc.wizards.mlsnet.com/t105/)1455419Columbus (http://columbus.crew.mlsnet.com/t102/)1342719Toronto FC (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/)1455419New England (http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/)1244416New York (http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/t107/)1521039

Davenport
06-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Fook....that league table didn't come out well....

trane
06-19-2009, 04:25 PM
^ Dude I am critical, but this is over the top. If we keep present form, we can make the playoffs.

Yohan
06-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Fook....that league table didn't come out well....
dude. there is still half a season to go

as much as tfc road record blows, like, there's still a lot of games to be played

you sure firing Mo and bringing in a new guy is somehow magically transform the bad away record?

Beach_Red
06-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Seriously it is about the bottom line, not personal like or dislikes. However, unlikely it seemed Mo has deliverd on one goal, he has eanred a chance to deliver on the secong. That is the bottom line in my books.

Is this your first day on the board? ;)

TFC USA
06-19-2009, 04:29 PM
We need to be better than Shitlumbus.

Fact.

trane
06-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Is this your first day on the board? ;)

I know, but for me it is never personal. I mean not unless the gus is a complete twat, ala Ronaldo, but those are few, Cunny and Ruiz were close to that but not quite.

poppamidnight
06-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Nah, I think the telling measure will be playoffs,

This team was projected to be a playoff team - UNDER THE ASSUMPTION THAT THE OBVIOUS HOLES WOULD BE FILLED...

IMO - they have yet to be filled - No striker, and our D STILL looks shaky,

Nick Garcia may be vocal - but that doesn't change the fact he's not starter-quality,
He was brutal vs. MTL,
in fact, I would go as far to say that he's worse than Serioux when Serioux's limping...

So by my count we still have the same 2 holes needing to be filled that were there at the start of the season,

Team makes the playoffs = Mo's back
Team Doesn't = Mo's gone

flatpicker
06-19-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm happy to stick with Mo right now.

btw... I don't care for the "let's make the playoffs" objective.
Any team (especially in a balanced league like this) should be aiming to win the Supporters' Shield.
It should never been anyone's goal to simple finish in the top half of the league!

VPjr
06-19-2009, 06:31 PM
If TFC doesn't get past Puerto Rico and into the group stage, I don't believe Mo's situation is improved because TFC managed to pull of an unexpected huge win last night.

If TFC doesn't make the playoffs, last night is far less meaningful

But, if TFC squeeks into the playoffs and somehow gets by Puerto Rico (no easy task), we will be cursed by Mo for years to come.

I agree with flatpicker...in my opinion, sneaking into the playoffs is not much to crow about in a 15 team league that allows half of its teams to make it into post season. The team should be striving a) to be the top team in the league or, at minimum b) top team in its division.

ManUtd4ever
06-19-2009, 06:44 PM
MoJo's job is secure for the rest of the season. If TFC doesn't achieve any results in CCL or in the playoffs (or fail to make the playoffs) then I wouldn't bet on MoJo returning next season. I believe that he will eventually fill the void at the striker position and TFC could then go on a great run this season. Although Montreal didn't field their best squad last night, TFC still accomplished a truly phenominal feat that ranks right up there with the most improbable comebacks in the history of professional football at all levels. A watershed moment like last night may be the turning point the franchise and the supporters have been waiting for...

bhoybobby
06-19-2009, 07:12 PM
I"m as happy as anyone we won the nutrilite, congrats to the lads.

That been said, we should be favs for that every year. As for the play-offs we should make it this year.

It seems with some folks, that Mo has them brainwashed them into accepting that the expectations should be kept low. I guess in that environment he'll never lose.

He should be aspiring to excellence, not mediocrity

T_Mizz
06-19-2009, 07:15 PM
I think what this championship has bought Mo is the conclusion of his 5 yr plan and I think at the end of that he should be assessed but I have a feeling that we'll have a great team by then as he's put together a young (youngest in MLS) talented team.

Jack
06-19-2009, 07:23 PM
I agree with you Bobby, but on the road to excellence from the town of shit, don't you have to pas the gas station of mediocrity? :D

Beach_Red
06-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Mo's got nothing to do with my expectations (I'd never heard of the guy before he got this job, but then I've never followed soccer before).

But I've been down the expansion team road before many times, that's what set my expectations. My dearly departed Expos had 10 straight losing seasons when they joined MLB. I was a member of the 'fan club,' as we called it, The Young Expos for that entire time.

When the Tampa Bay Bucaneers joined the NFL I predicted they'd start fast because they hired one of my favourite coaches, John McKay who had great success at USC (four championships) - still it took them until the very end of their second season to win a game. Took a lot longer to get to a winning season. I work with a guy who's a huge Buffalo Sabres fan, they started pretty fast but thirty-some years later still haven't won anything.

From expansion to winning can take a long time. Usually the teams that start off the fastest have more trouble later. The St. Louis Blues were the earliest success of the second-six NHL teams and the Flyers one of the worst, but Philadelphia won two Stanley Cups and St. Louis is still waiting.

I want to say that TFC is no longer an expansion team, but as long as they have the same captain they had in their first year then they're still an expansion team. When they finally move past Robinson, Brennan and Dichio then I'll expect an MLS Championship. I still think TFC will get one before New England.

ua-kozak_TFC
06-19-2009, 08:02 PM
I agree with you Bobby, but on the road to excellence from the town of shit, don't you have to pas the gas station of mediocrity? :D
well JACK with all due respect... if half of the road has passed and we;ve been prommised a sign to the road of exellence (play off spot last year) and if you keep seeing that the road is still bumpy with no sign of improovement then you gotta question the driver ... dont you?
I think if we go to group stage of Concacaf.. and make the play offs this year... NO BODY... will question MO. BUt when you see mo not doing his JOB(ie not signing defenders or strickers which we so badly need...) then...
Plus I am not too satisfy with ALi Gebra... haven;t seen him play but for some reason i just got this feeling that he;s just an otehr ROhan RIckets or Laurent Robert...if not worse than those...

jazzy
06-19-2009, 08:22 PM
DeRoe is God...He never gave up, stealing the ball at midfield, passing it off then sceaming downfield lookin for the give and go noone can keep up with him ,or his view of the game... maybe Ali Gerba OR (DeGuzman)...Rob Friend?....That is our problem.......Does anyone notice when we play attacking football (Chivas)...that we are a handful...but when we think we are a defensive side...the game turns around suddenly...until we usually give up damaging goals.

MoJo's job is secure for the rest of the season. If TFC doesn't achieve any results in CCL or in the playoffs (or fail to make the playoffs) then I wouldn't bet on MoJo returning next season. I believe that he will eventually fill the void at the striker position and TFC could then lemgo on a great run this season. Although Montreal didn't field ortheir best squad last night, TFC still accomplished a truly phenominal feat that ranks rightDeRoeD up there with the most improbable comebacks in the history of
football at all levels. A watershed moment like last night may be the turning point the franchise and the supporters have been waiting for...

Yohan
06-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Plus I am not too satisfy with ALi Gebra... haven;t seen him play but for some reason i just got this feeling that he;s just an otehr ROhan RIckets or Laurent Robert...if not worse than those...
if you don't know about Gerba, why are you commenting on it?

just because you've never seen Gerba play, that doesn't mean Gerba is shit

would you have been more happy if Mo signed some no name striker from Brazil? because I doubt you would have heard about this guy either

TFC USA
06-19-2009, 09:47 PM
All Brazilians are good footballers....such as Lucas. :D

Honestly this will do. Gerba is okay.

ua-kozak_TFC
06-20-2009, 08:55 AM
if you don't know about Gerba, why are you commenting on it?

just because you've never seen Gerba play, that doesn't mean Gerba is shit

would you have been more happy if Mo signed some no name striker from Brazil? because I doubt you would have heard about this guy either
i would be JUST AS CAUTIOUS with a brazilian player...Also I am not saying Gerba shit I am just cautious about since i;ve never seen him play... I am not the vagon jumper who start idolatrizing him like they did Rohan, Welsh, Robert and Ruiz so many othe players even before they see them play... players gotta earn their respect of the fans...

Yohan
06-20-2009, 09:08 AM
i would be JUST AS CAUTIOUS with a brazilian player...Also I am not saying Gerba shit I am just cautious about since i;ve never seen him play... I am not the vagon jumper who start idolatrizing him like they did Rohan, Welsh, Robert and Ruiz so many othe players even before they see them play... players gotta earn their respect of the fans...
i dont think most people are idolizing Gerba.

However, we have seen him play with Canadian MNT, which is a pretty decent level of competition... right?

at least with Gerba, we can make more of an informed decision

Beach_Red
06-20-2009, 09:23 AM
^ And Gerba is willing to come here. He won't have to get used to anything here, he knows Canada.

ua-kozak_TFC
06-20-2009, 09:28 AM
^ And Gerba is willing to come here. He won't have to get used to anything here, he knows Canada.
that still applies... he needs to get used to players and style etc...

Beach_Red
06-20-2009, 09:59 AM
that still applies... he needs to get used to players and style etc...

Sure on the field, but moving to Canada is probably a big factor for many guys from South America. Aren't there some places you'd rather be living?

stugautz
06-20-2009, 04:10 PM
I don't think Thursday results swayed MLS$'s decision on Mo one way or the other, but if TFC can get by Puerto Rico Mo will definitely be safe for 2009 and 2010. Just think how much money he will have made the team by playing 4 extra home game.

The real question becomes, can Mo justify his existence if we go deep into the CCL and tank the rest of the MLS season?

bhoybobby
06-21-2009, 08:47 AM

Yes, you do, but no need to do it in 2nd gear. The end result is, defeating tier 2 opposition at the 2nd try & only on goal difference, i s viewed as some sort of major achievement.

The Nutrilite win, while satisfying should be routine. Like I said, Mo has set the bar far to low & is managing expectations in concert with the Assman.

Excellence should've been the goal from day 1, it wasn't. I get that it's okay for the majority of TFC fans. As a result of accepting mediocrity, you are just making a rod for your own back & falling in line to Mo's blethering doublespeak mantra. To each his own I guess:scarf:

Jack
06-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Yes, you do, but no need to do it in 2nd gear. The end result is, defeating tier 2 opposition at the 2nd try & only on goal difference, i s viewed as some sort of major achievement.

The Nutrilite win, while satisfying should be routine. Like I said, Mo has set the bar far to low & is managing expectations in concert with the Assman.

Excellence should've been the goal from day 1, it wasn't. I get that it's okay for the majority of TFC fans. As a result of accepting mediocrity, you are just making a rod for your own back & falling in line to Mo's blethering doublespeak mantra. To each his own I guess:scarf:

No one is accepting mediocrity by being happy we won the other night ;)

I certainly am not.

Beach_Red
06-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Excellence should've been the goal from day 1, it wasn't.

I don't really get this. Would you have preferred some snake oil salesman to roll into town saying the team could win the championship the first year? I haven't heard that kind of talk from a GM since the WHA and their orange pucks...

Ambition is great, but self-delusion doesn't help. I'm glad this is no longer a league in which an expansion team can come in and win the championship - it may be bush league, but it isn't that bad anymore.

This team has a mix of veteran and young players and it looks like a decent foundation is being built. What's needed is a big money DP and MLSE should have written that cheque already.

bhoybobby
06-21-2009, 10:14 AM
I don't really get this. Would you have preferred some snake oil salesman to roll into town saying the team could win the championship the first year? I haven't heard that kind of talk from a GM since the WHA and their orange pucks...

Ambition is great, but self-delusion doesn't help. I'm glad this is no longer a league in which an expansion team can come in and win the championship - it may be bush league, but it isn't that bad anymore.

This team has a mix of veteran and young players and it looks like a decent foundation is being built. What's needed is a big money DP and MLSE should have written that cheque already.

No, I would've expected a F O team / Field Mgmt team with a pedigree of experience & success in the respective jobs. Mo & the Assman certainly don't have a successful mgmt track record. Perhaps we wouldn't be progressing at this pedantic pace & making signing mistakes the like of Welsh/Robert/Ricketts/Velez/Harmse.

That's just my take, like I said if 2nd gear is good enuff for most, then they've succeeded at least in keeping the expectation & goals bar nice & low. enjoy:scarf:

Dozitwin
06-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Let's be honest, as much as some may not like him, Mo's job wasn't ever in jeopardy. Mighty said it, TFC is operating on a five year plan, they are not going to bale on it in year three. Let's not forget that Mo's bosses are well aware that several of the key signings we missed out on in the past were because of the turf and the issue with rurf isn't MLSE it's the government. The first two seasons were 'expansion' seasons, this season there was an unexpected coaching change and despite a huge mountain to climb we won the Voyagers Cup......long story short, Mo isn't going anywhere.

Beach_Red
06-21-2009, 10:23 AM
No, I would've expected a F O team / Field Mgmt team with a pedigree of experience & success in the respective jobs. Mo & the Assman certainly don't have a successful mgmt track record. Perhaps we wouldn't be progressing at this pedantic pace & making signing mistakes the like of Welsh/Robert/Ricketts/Velez/Harmse.

That's just my take, like I said if 2nd gear is good enuff for most, then they've succeeded at least in keeping the expectation & goals bar nice & low. enjoy:scarf:

Maybe there was some really "successful" guy out there with a great pedigree ready to take on the job of running an expansion team in Canada. The only name people ever put forward was Frank Yallop and this morning I'd rather have TFC's lineup than San Jose's, but who knows how that'll work out next year? MLS has too many unique rules to have success apply here too much.

Can you go from first gear to fifth without touching any in between? (Wow that stretched the metaphor ;)).

Look, this is personal with you, and that's fine. But objectively things aren't nearly as bad as you make them out to be. There have been some bad signings - every expansion team makes bad signings - and there have been some good signings.

The goal is to win the championship. If the league has matured at all, then it will take a few years to get there. New England hasn't won one yet, does their management keep the bar nice and low?

bhoybobby
06-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Maybe there was some really "successful" guy out there with a great pedigree ready to take on the job of running an expansion team in Canada. The only name people ever put forward was Frank Yallop and this morning I'd rather have TFC's lineup than San Jose's, but who knows how that'll work out next year? MLS has too many unique rules to have success apply here too much.

Can you go from first gear to fifth without touching any in between? (Wow that stretched the metaphor ;)).

Look, this is personal with you, and that's fine. But objectively things aren't nearly as bad as you make them out to be. There have been some bad signings - every expansion team makes bad signings - and there have been some good signings.

The goal is to win the championship. If the league has matured at all, then it will take a few years to get there. New England hasn't won one yet, does their management keep the bar nice and low?

Personal, other than the fact I'm a season's tix holder with an opinion, no, it's not personal.

I'm just a passionate, opinionated TFC fan:scarf:

Cashcleaner
06-22-2009, 01:25 AM
The thing I love most about the 5-Year Plan is that nobody seems to recall hearing anyone with any official capacity at the club talk about a 5-Year Plan.

Personally, I don't think our win in Montreal excuses the overall shape we're in as a club. I think it will really depend on if we make the playoffs or have a good run in Champions League. I think the immediate future is still fairly shaky given the roster situation. We'll really have to see how the next few games go over to get a good feel of the direction we're heading. Now that the NCC is over and done with, the league will be getting the most of our attention.

Steve
06-22-2009, 08:16 AM
I agree with those who think we should be somewhat patient, and grow year to year, instead of asking for a winner right away. I would rather a team that does terribly the first year, better (But still badly) the second year, mediocre the third (8th seed into playoffs, boy out early) then compete for the shield and cup for the next few, than a team that makes the playoffs the first year (barely) then fizzles out. In this league you can buy a team that's pretty good, but you have to grow a team that's great. San Jose I think tried to jump into the pond too early (last year instead of growing with young players, they tried to compete too soon, did well for a while, then burned out. This year they are terrible). Seattle we will have to see (they're doing fairly well so far, but how will they fair into the summer months? How will their team translate into a good team next year? Will they lose some key components and have to start again?).

Of course, that strategy (slow and stable growth) works much better in a more stable league. The one thing I hope Mo is keeping his eye on is the CBA. Personally, I think he is, but we'll have to see. Right now, I think we've used our allocation to buy players salary down. So, if Mo gambled right, the CBA will be raised by an amount that will allow us to not have to shed players next year to stay under the cap, which will give us an extra year of players playing together, and experimenting with a higher cap (and an extra year to get rid of players underplaying, and replace them). If the CBA goes up by too much though, any thought of a 5 year plan is blown out the window, as teams will all be building up to the higher cap, and your plans of using young, skilled players as key pieces are no longer viable.

I guess what I'm saying is: who the hell knows. It's a league that requires more strategy than most leagues I've ever seen (with allocation order, discovery signings, international spots, allocation money, low salary cap, gen addidas, etc), which means you need someone at the head that knows not only the rules inside and out, but knows how to take advantage of the system. I think Mo knows the system as well as anyone does, so I'm willing to give him more time (though I do want more staff for him, specifically scouting, which is not his strong suit).

Keyman
06-22-2009, 08:51 AM
No one is ever safe, especially Mo. This team has not proven itself whatsoever. If Mo wants to keep his job, then we must advance past the first round of the CL and make the playoffs. Anything less, and Mo should be fired.

gracos
06-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Don't get we wrong, I am happy that we the Nutrilite Championship, but if thats where we stop for this and dont do any worthy signings then this year will be very similiar to the last and even the year before that. I am just saying MO, you have our support but dont slack off now, continue to build on that finding a new striker, and accomplishing, and fighting till you get blue in your face is a must until the MLS understands you wont take second class, also a new DP, and even getting to sitting down with the Mayor regarding a grass field, is a must if you want to see progress within. I like that we win a trophy but if you think because we won the trophy that we are perfect, get a grip, move on, and build

Beach_Red
06-22-2009, 09:06 AM
The thing I love most about the 5-Year Plan is that nobody seems to recall hearing anyone with any official capacity at the club talk about a 5-Year Plan.

Yeah, was the word, "plan" ever used?

Every expansion team I've ever heard of says the same thing, "It'll take five years to be fully competitive." Do people really think it happens any sooner? I know, I know, Chicago when the whole league was a year old - how many championships have they won since?

I'm sure anyone who got the job of running TFC would have said it takes five years to be competitive. It's just the way expansion works. This isn't a team being promoted, this a team starting from scratch.

So, what you have to try and judge is how much progress is being made year to year. In that case, maybe we haven't seen enough from TFC. There should certainly be a DP by now.

ua-kozak_TFC
06-22-2009, 11:46 AM

Mo has said numerous times in season 1... he said to lower expectations for year 1... And that one thing he is really good at ... because alot of fans leting his get away with it...

ua-kozak_TFC
06-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Yeah, was the word, "plan" ever used?

Every expansion team I've ever heard of says the same thing, "It'll take five years to be fully competitive." Do people really think it happens any sooner? I know, I know, Chicago when the whole league was a year old - how many championships have they won since?

I'm sure anyone who got the job of running TFC would have said it takes five years to be competitive. It's just the way expansion works. This isn't a team being promoted, this a team starting from scratch.

So, what you have to try and judge is how much progress is being made year to year. In that case, maybe we haven't seen enough from TFC. There should certainly be a DP by now.
.... forge about sounders???....

If TFC played half as well or the FO and "Manager of soccer" was as eager(ie signing players) to make TFC a success as sounders are at the moment i dont think anybody would have a problem with mo

Yohan
06-22-2009, 12:15 PM

If TFC played half as well or the FO and "Manager of soccer" was as eager(ie signing players) to make TFC a success as sounders are at the moment i dont think anybody would have a problem with mo

1. The Sounders are only 3 points ahead of TFC this season

2. Seattle can sign US internationals. While TFC can sign only scraps of Canadian internationals as domestics in year 1.

3. Leaps and bounds to whether a player would sign for an MLS team in 2006 compared to 2009

4. Mo did put together a half decent team by MLS standards in year 1. It's just that the players didn't live up to their rep, and the defence was absolute shambles

Cashcleaner
06-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Mo has said numerous times in season 1... he said to lower expectations for year 1... And that one thing he is really good at ... because alot of fans leting his get away with it...

Really? I'll take your word for it, but I've only ever heard people here speculate about it.

Beach_Red
06-22-2009, 12:40 PM
1. The Sounders are only 3 points ahead of TFC this season

2. Seattle can sign US internationals. While TFC can sign only scraps of Canadian internationals as domestics in year 1.

3. Leaps and bounds to whether a player would sign for an MLS team in 2006 compared to 2009

4. Mo did put together a half decent team by MLS standards in year 1. It's just that the players didn't live up to their rep, and the defence was absolute shambles

Okay, I've said this before, but what you're talking about is "context." A lot of people here don't like that.

And no, UA-Kozak, I didn't forget about the Sounders, that's why I said, "started from scratch." But again, that's context and no one's interested.

Look, I agree, this team started out as an afterthought for MLSE and they put the absolute minimum into it they could. They should have started from day one with a proper coaching staff, proper scouting, proper training staff and facilities and so on (the way Seattle did), but they didn't.

We should blame the owners, that's all I'm saying. And we should demand more from them. They've spent a little on training facilities and brought in a proper trainer but they're still a long way from where they should be. Focusing on the manager just gives the owners an easy out. They'll fire him and bring in another one just like him. That's not the solution I want.

SilverSamurai
06-22-2009, 12:45 PM

Sounders also didn't start from scratch. They were pretty much "promoted" into MLS. TFC started out of nothing.

rocker
06-22-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm curious to see what happens with the Earthquakes. They had a better first season than TFC, but this season they've dropped. Would fans give Yallop and Doyle a third season after a second-season drop? At least our point totals increased from year 1 to year 2.