PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Loses EPL Rights

bee dubya
06-19-2009, 12:46 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8109954.stm

I have no idea how this will affect Setanta Canada

Phil
06-19-2009, 12:47 PM
The score bought the EPL games, and setanta Canada is owned by Rogers. They may just re-brand the channel, but it probaly will be the same deal next year.

bee dubya
06-19-2009, 12:50 PM
But it depends on who owns the rights in Canada. I believe Setanta owned the rights to Canada and The Score bought a package to show the Sunday games from Setanta. If the EPL pulls all Setanta's rights, things will be up in the air for the new season.

MrHawk
06-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Sportsnet showed some games as well.

This will pose as a HUGE loss for anyone who will sign up.

Rochdale
06-19-2009, 02:30 PM
I wonder who will now take control of the rights in Canada.

Setanta loses Premier TV rights
Troubled pay-TV sports broadcaster Setanta has failed to pay the latest chunk of the £30m it owes the English Premier League - losing the rights.
A potential rescue deal, led by a US investor who had proposed buying 51% of Setanta, had fallen through.
The league will now put the rights to the 46 live matches for the 2009/2010 season out to auction, after Setanta missed Friday's payment deadline.
Offers to buy the rights need to be made by Monday.
'Regret'
The Premier League said it had been working with Setanta "for some time to help them continue as the broadcaster" .

The Premier League, in agreement with Setanta, stipulated that certain contractual requirements had to be met on or before Friday "to allow the preparations for the 2009/10 season to continue unaffected".
The league added: "It is with considerable regret that we announce that Setanta has been unable to meet their obligations. As such the existing licence agreement between us has been terminated with immediate effect."
The Premier League will now go ahead and auction the 46 UK live matches for the 2009/10 season.
'Issues'
Late last week, Access Industries, controlled by the US investor Len Blavatnik, tabled a £20m bid for a 51% share in Setanta.
It had been hoped Access could lead a consortium of investors to provide fresh funding for Setanta.
However Access has now said it was unable to proceed with a deal with Setanta.
It is understood that the deal faltered after it was revealed that there is a question mark over a reported £50m that Setanta is said to owe UK tax authorities.
"Access believed that this proposal could potentially have secured the future of the broadcaster for its customers, employees and for football, provided certain conditions required to put the business on a long-term viable footing were met," it said.
"Regrettably, despite intensive efforts on all sides over the past few days, and despite significant progress in a number of areas, there remain a number of issues which we have been unable to resolve within the time available.
"We are disappointed not to have been able to make this deal happen. Access remains committed to sports programming and will continue to explore opportunities in this area."
One of those which may be interest in acquiring Setanta's 46 games is Disney-owned sports channel ESPN.
'Bad news'
ESPN would not comment directly on the new situation but said it continued "to be interested in rights where they are available and where they make business sense".
Meanwhile James Pickles, editor of industry newsletter TV Sports Markets, said that until Thursday there were expectations that Setanta would pull though.
"It's bad news for everyone - no one is a winner," he said, adding: "It's a disaster for rights holders."
He said it was bad news for Sky because having a competitor such as Setanta was beneficial to it from an EU regulatory perspective, which prevents one broadcaster owning all Premier League rights.
However Sky would be legally free to bid for one of Setanta's two packages of 23 games.
Subscriber targets
Last week Setanta reopened its website to new subscribers - having closed it for several days.
Setanta is running at an estimated loss of £100m a year, after missing subscriber targets.
The broadcaster has 1.2 million subscribers, 700,000 short of the 1.9million that industry experts believe they need to break even.
Attention will now shift onto Setanta's other contracts - such as those with the FA for England and FA Cup matches, the Scottish Premier League (SPL), and the Blue Square Premier, the top division of English non-league football.
It recently missed a £3m payment due to the SPL - part of a four-year deal worth £54m over four years from 2006 to 2010.
The company also owns rights to the PGA golf tour, as well as cricket and rugby union deals.

Chewy Unikronik
06-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Can you say, "cancelled subscription???"

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Setanta Canada has done quite well...im sure nothing will change...hope not anyways.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-19-2009, 02:35 PM
I don't get setanta so I'd be thrilled to see more games on basic cable, TBH. I don't like the idea of one station having a monopoly on virtually everything.

Rochdale
06-19-2009, 02:41 PM
GOL TV. l'm sure when MLSE bought Gol, they did say they they were looking at EPL games.

Kevvv
06-19-2009, 02:54 PM
I don't get setanta so I'd be thrilled to see more games on basic cable, TBH. I don't like the idea of one station having a monopoly on virtually everything.

There's a difference between a monopoly and being the only channel willing to show Bolton v Wigan, Hull, WBA, etc, etc. If someone else doesn't take/want the rights, get used to watching Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, and Arsenal. Every week.

TFC USA
06-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Apparently this only affects Setanta UK.

Kevvv
06-19-2009, 03:10 PM
I was under the impression Fox Soccer Channel shows a lot of EPL games in the US - how many would they do in a week vrs Steanta? Up here Fox Canada shows none, and Setanta has all but two (one Sat, one Sunday game).

Pachuco
06-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Time to cancel Setanta. It certainly won't be worth the $15 without the EPL. That's all I watch on there.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-19-2009, 03:26 PM
There's a difference between a monopoly and being the only channel willing to show Bolton v Wigan, Hull, WBA, etc, etc. If someone else doesn't take/want the rights, get used to watching Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, and Arsenal. Every week.
The thing is, the EPL isn't really such a concern of mine, what annoys me about it is they own the rights to a whole pile of other European leagues that you used to see on other channels. You used to be able to get Spanish, German and French matches on basic cable, as well as World Cup qualifying and the like, but not anymore.

Batman
06-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Setanta Canada has done quite well...im sure nothing will change...hope not anyways.

I assume if the parent loses the rights it could change things significantly. We'll see.

TFC USA
06-19-2009, 03:31 PM
FSC shows a 10:00 AM game, a 12:30 PM game, a dull game like Stoke vs. Sunderland on delay, then the main 11:00 AM game on Sunday.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Time to cancel Setanta. It certainly won't be worth the $15 without the EPL. That's all I watch on there.

hold on...setanta canada could still well have the rights for here for the EPL..so dont cancel right yet...its Setanta UK thats haveing a rough go.

Phil
06-19-2009, 03:33 PM
The score bought all EPL rights, on a three year term if memory serves...they just kept the 1 Sunday game because of time constraints.

Mikey
06-19-2009, 03:50 PM

+1..

sully
06-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Is ever there was an opportunity for MLSE and Gol TV, this is it. If something happens along those lines...it might open up some kinds of opportunities/linkages for TFC with the Premiership...

GBV
06-19-2009, 04:13 PM
there was an article in the globe recently (i posted it in the news-of-the-day thread) suggesting setanta's days are numbered.

personally, for the price, i'd rather have FSWC + GOLTV over SETANTA.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Is ever there was an opportunity for MLSE and Gol TV, this is it. If something happens along those lines...it might open up some kinds of opportunities/linkages for TFC with the Premiership...

i would rather see Gol make the effort to get more out of market MLS games on then the EPL...promote the game here at home, the EPL doesnt need that here.

pubboy
06-19-2009, 05:36 PM
i already cancelled - always have cancelled Setanta during the summer. Have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully someone takes on the Championship games as well.

Pookie
06-19-2009, 05:51 PM
i already cancelled - always have cancelled Setanta during the summer. Have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully someone takes on the Championship games as well.

I liked Setanta in that the weekend was a full plate of ALL EPL teams. Could be Hull City vs Portsmouth in a meaningless game but it was there.

I hope whomever picks it up carries with the same format and doesn't just feed us the big 4 at random points during the year.

Sure as hell hope that they don't all go Pay Per View.

greatwhitenorf
06-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Setanta was brutal in their broadcast quality. Absolutely the worst technical quality I've ever seen. Lost signals, fractured feeds. Like the Bulgarian Space Program. Would never pay for that dreck. As for who else gets Premier League telecasts:

Please God, not FOX. FOX is a fucking joke! No talent newbs on their news reports and a nerdy Scotsman sounding like an old motorcycle starting up on a cold morning. "Huvv yae hairrd ainywunn" butcher English like he does? He needs subtitles. We don't need Trainspotting Does Soccer on this continent. Broadcasting out of a high school television studio in Flin Flon, with all the attendant skills you'd expect.

And FOX Soccer Channel in the States is even worse. No chance of improvement when they actually believe they're good. The worst specialty channel I've ever seen.

Pookie
06-19-2009, 06:41 PM
any reason why the games couldn't be broadcast in HD?

My money is leaning to a "In the Box" kind of PPV package ala "Centre Ice" or "MLB's Extra Innings."

Setanta was charging $14.95 a month vs GOLTV's $2.95 (or thereabouts). For that kind of fee, they probably do not have enough to cover the bid for the rights.

FOX might be an option as is ESPN/TSN but the latter failed in a bid and is expected to come in lower according to various 'net sources.

akoto
06-20-2009, 12:11 AM
The score bought all EPL rights, on a three year term if memory serves...they just kept the 1 Sunday game because of time constraints.

That is correct. Setanta Canada buys the rights for games from The Score.

Pookie
06-20-2009, 07:01 AM
That is correct. Setanta Canada buys the rights for games from The Score.

So, I guess the question is whether Setanta Canada is still going to make a go of it?

If not, I guess the Score could broadcast themselves but I imagine they were pretty happy with the revenue to sell off the games and continue with their regular programming and will look to the do the same.

GOLTV might be an option but would require a significant jump in user fees.

TSN2?

I'm still thinking that it might be packaged in a Centre Ice-like package.

bee dubya
06-20-2009, 10:49 AM
any reason why the games couldn't be broadcast in HD?

I believe the EPL provides feeds of the games to their int'l broadcast partners. If you notice, all the EPL games have the same look to their graphics packages, etc. I'm pretty sure that this past year, only the Sunday game (the game shown on The Score) was delivered in HD for the int'l folks. In the UK, BSkyB and BBC show pretty much everything in HD.

joel
06-22-2009, 09:48 AM
I just want the games in HD, can somebody handle that?!!

gmacpheetfc
06-22-2009, 12:27 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=656557&sec=england&cc=5901

maybe espn can

OneLoveOneEric
06-22-2009, 12:32 PM
will this mean TSN2 for us?

Cas87
06-22-2009, 12:41 PM
^^

No I think Score and Sportsnet signed on seperate from Setanta and are under contract till about 2011 or so

OneLoveOneEric
06-22-2009, 12:42 PM
From the Setanta Canada website -- seems nothing will change here, as I expected.

As has been widely reported in various media channels, Setanta Sports has today had its agreement to broadcast 46 Barclays Premier League matches in the UK terminated.
This development does not affect our channels and other services in Canada.
Setanta Sports Canada is a separate operation that has separate agreement to show the Barclay’s Premier League. Our channel and other services in Canada continue to broadcast and our subscribers can still enjoy our programming including the Lions Tour of South Africa and the Churchill Cup.
New customers are welcome to subscribe to watch some of the world’s best soccer and rugby either by contacting our cable and satellite partners or online at www.setanta.com.
We thank you for your continued interest in Setanta Sports and look forward to bringing you a wealth of sport over the coming months and years.

Toronto_Bhoy
06-22-2009, 01:56 PM
SPL seeks new television contract

The Scottish Premier League is seeking a new television broadcasting deal after Setanta failed to meet a deadline to pay £3m as part of its contract. Setanta last year agreed to pay £125m over four seasons to extend its deal with the SPL beyond 2010.

But SPL chairman Lex Gold said the Irish firm missed an extended deadline.

"We are now actively engaging in the process of selling our domestic broadcasting rights for next season and beyond," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/8113177.stm

This is no more than a minor inconvenience for the EPL, it has major implications for Scottish football.

Both Rangers and Celtic TV use Setanta's feeds for their broadcasts so even their direct TV packages are in difficulty.

JamboAl
06-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Just as an update, Setanta in the UK is finished!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/06/23/article-1194988-0573F660000005DC-160_468x370.jpg

Cuz
06-23-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm with this guy ^^^^

Cuz
06-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Just as an update, Setanta in the UK is finished!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/06/23/article-1194988-0573F660000005DC-160_468x370.jpg

No way!

Miko
06-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Setanta Canada is 80% owned by Rogers.

This is because of CRTC regulation regarding foreign ownership of tv stations in this country.

As long as Rogers honours the contract, there should be no disruption as each territory purchases it's own rights.

Therefore, there is an EPL contract for Canada and Rogers pays the bills - no issue.

This deal is even different from the US deal as Setanta US has no American corporate network partner and is responsible for funding itself. However Setanta US is profitable.

The only difference you may see is that Setanta Canada rebrands itself.

JamboAl
06-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Yes, I've heard this as well, Miko. I hope Rogers/Setanta winds up purchasing some programming from Sky Sports. Nevertheless, I expect a negative effect on such programming as the SPL & ligue 1.

Broadview
06-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Yes, I've heard this as well, Miko. I hope Rogers/Setanta winds up purchasing some programming from Sky Sports. Nevertheless, I expect a negative effect on such programming as the SPL & ligue 1.

They've been getting sky broadcasts on setanta canada all along. You could tell by the scoreboard graphics up in the corner where the broadcast originated from. Sky has the Barclay's logo up there. Unless you're talking about programming other than games.

Most importantly, what's going to happen to Special1 TV?

JamboAl
06-23-2009, 02:24 PM
That's right! No more Sven, no more Voyeur, no more Dave from Newcastle, no more puppet Ronny! I'm now depressed.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-23-2009, 02:25 PM
So, I guess the question is whether Setanta Canada is still going to make a go of it?

If not, I guess the Score could broadcast themselves but I imagine they were pretty happy with the revenue to sell off the games and continue with their regular programming and will look to the do the same.

GOLTV might be an option but would require a significant jump in user fees.

TSN2?

I'm still thinking that it might be packaged in a Centre Ice-like package.

setanta canada will ust pick up the espn feed without the ticker i hope.
dont want to see the score involved with football again..GOL tv would be a nice other option...No to TSN 1 or 2

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-23-2009, 02:28 PM
That's right! No more Sven, no more Voyeur, no more Dave from Newcastle, no more puppet Ronny! I'm now depressed.

they will move to setanta Ireland...fingers crossed

NF-FC
06-23-2009, 02:44 PM

no more step-overs?!?

nascarguy
06-23-2009, 02:54 PM
they will still use youtuble so

MrHawk
06-23-2009, 02:55 PM
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/anmviewer.asp?a=9034&z=13 (http://www.fightline.com/news/mma/2009/0623/421299/andrei_arlovski/index.shtml)

Setanta also lost UFC.

bigsteve
06-23-2009, 10:20 PM
First off the Setanta feeds with exception to the old "Setanta UK" matches are all provided by the EPL from TWI and not SKY...They are the same feeds we have seen on Rogers Sportsnet for years earlier

Setanta Canada and USA are seperate entities are still have EPL rights thru partnerships with "Score Media" in Canada and "Fox Soccer" in the USA

All rights come with a "host feed" that is provided by the rights seller...Just look at the earlier coverage of the Carling Cup this year or last years coverage of Champions League matches that the actual "sky feed" was brought in to the Setanta Canada Channel..

Most people undertsand that rights issues are done geographically hence why Setanta Canada has way more games than Setanta USA..and sometimes even different Champions League picks than the US channel

As for ESPN they have bought the smalll package of 46 matches left over in the UK to be broacast in the UK ...other carriers carry the EPL all over Europe such as TVE Spain has the Spanish contract for the EPL

Its really not that complicated to see that Setanta Canada is one of the most profitable channel for the company and has a partenr in Rogers communications and other partners in other areas such as the Carribean

Obviously people are worried and no one wants to lose games or not give there opinion but on Aug 9th when the Community Shield is aired then followed by the following weeks EPL matches etc people willhave less concern over the North American opertaions...no one wants these games not to be available and if Setanta Canada did not exist many games would disappear as many networks do not plan to spend the $$$ or have the room

ochos
06-23-2009, 10:48 PM

You guys actually keep your Setanta subscriptions in the summer!?!?!

I mean, I like GAA, Ausie Rules and Rugby more than your average football fan, but I'm not gonna pay $15/month for it....

Miko
06-24-2009, 07:43 AM
You guys actually keep your Setanta subscriptions in the summer!?!?!

I mean, I like GAA, Ausie Rules and Rugby more than your average football fan, but I'm not gonna pay $15/month for it....

Lions Tour, Tri-Nations, State of Origin well worth $15 a month just for those events.

I'd have Setanta even if it was just a rugby channel.

Pookie
07-31-2009, 01:52 PM
Just an update from Setanta Canada... appears as though it is business as usual:

"In North America, Setanta is proud to hold exclusive rights to the 2009/2010 Barclays Premier League, LIVE from England. For our current schedule, please see Setanta's Schedule pages. Barclays Premier League starts again in August.

Setanta also carries matches from Manchester United TV (MUTV) and ChelseaTV so that you can see every match that these two teams play. And fans of English soccer will also enjoy watching their teams in the UEFA Champions League, which is on Setanta Sports. And England is also featured prominently in our programming, including the World Cup Qualifiers (LIVE on Setanta Premium) as well as many other European national teams. Most of these matches will be LIVE on the channel, and repeated as well. "

koryo
07-31-2009, 01:56 PM
Setanta Canada isn't going anywhere.

Owned by Rogers, separate EPL rights agreement than Setanta Ireland.

Re-branded channel if anything.

Relax.

Parkdale
07-31-2009, 02:13 PM
Setanta Canada isn't going anywhere.

Owned by Rogers, separate EPL rights agreement than Setanta Ireland.

Re-branded channel if anything.

Relax.

exactly. listen to this man.

"Setana" is a brand name, purchase (licensed for use) by Rogers.
They will just license another name, and show games there.

The only thing that will change is the theme song they play at the break.

CretanBull
07-31-2009, 02:22 PM
I wonder if Rogers will reduce the price? I know, I'm dreaming but we've lost access to alot of programming - shows like Football Matters and the Setanta News Hour, not to mention the game day comentary and annalysis from Setanta's staff.

Parkdale
07-31-2009, 02:25 PM
I wonder if Rogers will reduce the price? I know, I'm dreaming but we've lost access to alot of programming - shows like Football Matters and the Setanta News Hour, not to mention the game day comentary and annalysis from Setanta's staff.

expect to hear a lot more 'at the half music'

tfcleeds
07-31-2009, 02:25 PM

And thank goodness for that....

JonO
07-31-2009, 02:26 PM

They may or may not change the name. Depends who they're licencing the rights from in Canada and if they think there's any value to the brand...

CretanBull
07-31-2009, 02:27 PM
expect to hear a lot more 'at the half music'

I think that Steve Earle song from the Magner's commercial is their unofficial antheme. I hear it about 15 times every Saturday morning!

CretanBull
07-31-2009, 02:28 PM
They may or may not change the name. Depends who they're licencing the rights from in Canada and if they think there's any value to the brand...

There's probably not much value in a bankrupt brand - that might scare away more customers than it draws in!

Parkdale
07-31-2009, 02:30 PM
I think that Steve Earle song from the Magner's commercial is their unofficial antheme. I hear it about 15 times every Saturday morning!

better than having to hear The Jam all the time.

:D

anto7
07-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Hey, what's wrong with The Jam ? !! Awesome 80's band.
And when exactly do they play The Jam ?

JonO
07-31-2009, 02:56 PM
There's probably not much value in a bankrupt brand - that might scare away more customers than it draws in!
Trademarks frequently get purchased from companies in debt - it's tough to build brand recognition from scratch, but people already know what Setanta is...

Parkdale
07-31-2009, 03:06 PM
Hey, what's wrong with The Jam ? !! Awesome 80's band.
And when exactly do they play The Jam ?

don't worry, it's just me messing with Creatnbul

Kevvv
07-31-2009, 03:10 PM

Oh yeah, they should play Van Halen. That's entertainment,

Trademarks frequently get purchased from companies in debt - it's tough to build brand recognition from scratch, but people already know what Setanta is...

Setanta means EPL soccer, there's no reason to drop the name if they don't need to. I will miss the puppets though, and Rebecca.

anto7
07-31-2009, 03:17 PM
O.K. No problem

mmmikey
07-31-2009, 03:38 PM
i was really fond of the setanta commentary and studio shows, mostly cause we don't get much of this unless you stream from the internet.

i really hope they pickup some other channels productions.

CretanBull
07-31-2009, 06:10 PM

It's impossible to not like this (presented by the great Tony Wilson no less!):

5ipGhzrIi3s

RedsYNWA
07-31-2009, 09:45 PM
I cancell the channel for 4 months every year it buys me enough beer at BMO to last 1 game :)

Blizzard
07-31-2009, 10:09 PM

:D

You're gonna get it for that comment!

Great band.

I was just listening to the live version of "Standards" from the "Dig The New Breed" album.

Total class!

Blizzard
07-31-2009, 10:11 PM
It's impossible to not like this (presented by the great Tony Wilson no less!):

5ipGhzrIi3s

... and you have to love those Rickenbackers!