PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Puerto Rico... Cruz Azul, Saprissa, Columbus Crew

FluSH
06-19-2009, 11:26 AM
http://www.concacaf.com/competitions/champsleague/qteams09.aspx

I know it's wrong to just look past Puerto Rico Islanders... but have you seen the company we will be playing if we advance!!!

Cruz Azul, Mexico
Saprissa, Costa Rica
Columbus Crew, U.S.

Two Massive clubs in Latin America, and one deeply hated rival... I am drooling at the thought of us playing in this table... My savings? I will kiss them goodbye... they are out the window!!!
:flare:

iansmcl
06-19-2009, 12:28 PM
The most successful and one of the other more succesful teams in CONCACAF Champions Cup/League and then one of the better teams in MLS... but only if we can get by the team who finished fourth (I believe?) in the CCL last year... what kind of draw is this?

Intru
06-19-2009, 12:33 PM
We lost out to Cruz Azul in the semis by pk shoot out, there wasnt a third place game either so yeah you could say we finish third/fourth.

Lucky Strike
06-19-2009, 12:34 PM
http://www.concacaf.com/competitions/champsleague/qteams09.aspx

I know it's wrong to just look past Puerto Rico Islanders... but have you seen the company we will be playing if we advance!!!

Cruz Azul, Mexico
Saprissa, Costa Rica
Columbus Crew, U.S.

Two Massive clubs in Latin America, and one deeply hated rival... I am drooling at the thought of us playing in this table... My savings? I will kiss them goodbye... they are out the window!!!
:flare:

Actually, Cruz Azul needs to get past Herediano (Costa Rica) in the preliminary stage. I'll admit I know nothing about their league but Saprissa is a damn good team, so maybe that means their league is pretty good as well or either Saprissa is like the Lyon of the French League (well, until this year) being a dominant team and the rest being also rans.

Costa Rica as a nation have gotten to the world cup on a few occasions lately and most of their players play at home, so I think that means they have a good league. Don't get wrong, I consider Cruz Azul favourites, but I don't think they'll be a lock for the group stage.

Make sense?

Lucky Strike
06-19-2009, 12:40 PM
And as you say, Flush, we can't look past Puerto Rico and particularly so because of the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Soccer_Leagues_2009#Standings

If you take a look, they're currently 3rd in USL and have beaten both Montreal and Vancouver so far. This won't be an easy match.

FluSH
06-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Actually, Cruz Azul needs to get past Herediano (Costa Rica) in the preliminary stage. I'll admit I know nothing about their league but Saprissa is a damn good team, so maybe that means their league is pretty good as well or either Saprissa is like the Lyon of the French League (well, until this year) being a dominant team and the rest being also rans.

Costa Rica as a nation have gotten to the world cup on a few occasions lately and most of their players play at home, so I think that means they have a good league. Don't get wrong, I consider Cruz Azul favourites, but I don't think they'll be a lock for the group stage.

Make sense?

Yes that's a fact... Cruz Azul still needs to beat Herediano... but in my opinion Cruz Azul should be able to take this... or maybe it's me who wants to play against one of my old favourite teams from Mexico... Cruz Azul is like the people's champion...

P.S. I think Jack was an America supporter when he lived in Mexico...

Roogsy
06-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Where are you guys getting info on the CCL schedule? Obviously Concacaf doesn't update their stuff properly.

djking2
06-19-2009, 01:50 PM
And as you say, Flush, we can't look past Puerto Rico and particularly so because of the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Soccer_Leagues_2009#Standings

If you take a look, they're currently 3rd in USL and have beaten both Montreal and Vancouver so far. This won't be an easy match.

On the other hand they have played 8 of 12 games at home so far. Not to mention they have 6 USL games scheduled for July all away games with the match here on the 28th the seventh straight road game in a row. I think that has to work in our favour.

fetajr
06-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Cruz Azul makes damn good cement

Beach_Red
06-19-2009, 01:54 PM

Make sense?

Three different teams from Costa Rica have won the CONCACAF Champions League.

The last time I was in Costa Rica (about ten years ago) I noticed that on every piece of flat - or close to flat - land there was a soccer net. The country is mostly moutains.

I find it interesting that Costa Rica is pretty much the least "American-influenced" country in Central America - there's no baseball there at all and ten years ago there was only one golf course and it was nine holes. Both Nicaraugua and Panama, the countries that border Cost Rica, were practically American colonies and turned out quite a few baseball players.

BUT THIS THREAD SHOULD BE CLOSED AND REMOVED.

The bad karma from the title alone is too much!!!!

FluSH
06-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Three different teams from Costa Rica have won the CONCACAF Champions League.

The last time I was in Costa Rica (about ten years ago) I noticed that on every piece of flat - or close to flat - land there was a soccer net. The country is mostly moutains.

I find it interesting that Costa Rica is pretty much the least "American-influenced" country in Central America - there's no baseball there at all and ten years ago there was only one golf course and it was nine holes. Both Nicaraugua and Panama, the countries that border Cost Rica, were practically American colonies and turned out quite a few baseball players.

BUT THIS THREAD SHOULD BE CLOSED AND REMOVED.

The bad karma from the title alone is too much!!!!

Yes I know it's bad Karma... but I can't help it... The prospect of us making it and playing in this group are too good to be true... Also, El Salvador and Guatemala are pretty un American-influenced... or more so than Costa Rica... in fact... the last time I went there was still old graffity saying green go on some old building walls... although this is more anti-american than anything else...

FluSH
06-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Also breaking news for some... Saprissa plays on...

Turf

TFC07
06-19-2009, 02:03 PM
This is going to be group of death in CCL if we get pass Puerto Rico.

stugautz
06-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Wow, what a difference a win against Montreal's B Squad makes. We can't allow ourselves to daydream, we need to focus on getting 3 points at home to Puerto Rico and 3 on the road.

Beach_Red
06-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Yes I know it's bad Karma... but I can't help it... The prospect of us making it and playing in this group are too good to be true... Also, El Salvador and Guatemala are pretty un American-influenced... or more so than Costa Rica... in fact... the last time I went there was still old graffity saying green go on some old building walls... although this is more anti-american than anything else...

Yes, I agree, it's worth the bad karma :drum:.

My friends who've been more recently than I have say that Costa Rica is experienceing a lot more American influence these days, lots of expats moving down and so on. It's being sold as a great retirement location for Americans. Thre are lots of golf courses now :(. I felt that Costa Rica wasn't really American, it was just.... kind of Canadian feeling.

But soccer was far and away the biggest sport and I wouldn't be surprised if their league was strong past the top couple of teams.

I would love to go to an away game at Saprissa. And if they play here, please make it in the snow :D!

Beach_Red
06-19-2009, 02:09 PM

Turf

According to Wiki:

In 2003 due to the long tropical rainy seasons, Saprissa applied and was granted by FIFA, the right to change the pitch from natural grass to synthetic turf, becoming the only stadium in Latin America to have this type of turf. The stadium has also been used for Costa Rica national team (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Costa_Rica_national_football_team) matches. It was the second largest football stadium in Costa Rica after the National Stadium which no longer exists. The stadium has a seating capacity (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Seating_capacity) of 23,112 and is overlooked by local mountains and downtown San Jose.

In 2005, the stadium became the first stadium to host a World Cup qualifying match on FieldTurf (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/FieldTurf).

Super
06-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Puerto Rico is definitely not going to be an easy opponent. We need to stand strong and hopefully pull him a draw away from home, and then show up strong at home. They reached the semi-final in last years Champions League, so they've got international experience. But hey - after last night I think we can walk on water.

FluSH
06-19-2009, 02:17 PM
According to Wiki:

In 2003 due to the long tropical rainy seasons, Saprissa applied and was granted by FIFA, the right to change the pitch from natural grass to synthetic turf, becoming the only stadium in Latin America to have this type of turf. The stadium has also been used for Costa Rica national team (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Costa_Rica_national_football_team) matches. It was the second largest football stadium in Costa Rica after the National Stadium which no longer exists. The stadium has a seating capacity (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/Seating_capacity) of 23,112 and is overlooked by local mountains and downtown San Jose.

In 2005, the stadium became the first stadium to host a World Cup qualifying match on FieldTurf (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/wiki/FieldTurf).

and this is one of the toughest stadiums to play in Central America... because of the Turf... they definately got some voodoo on their turf cause ours sucks...

Brooker
06-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Wow, what a difference a win against Montreal's B Squad makes. We can't allow ourselves to daydream, we need to focus on getting 3 points at home to Puerto Rico and 3 on the road.

toronto fc needs to focus on that....

we don't need to focus on shit. :D

rocker
06-19-2009, 02:20 PM

Turf

good, so no home field advantage for them. TFC knows turf ;)

C.Ronaldo
06-19-2009, 02:26 PM
How would TFC qualify directly to the groups stage?

C.Ronaldo
06-19-2009, 02:27 PM
The stadium has a seating capacity of 23,112 and is overlooked by local mountains and downtown San Jose.

Ive been to that stadium
WHAT A VIEW!!!!
3 volcanic mountains surrounding it.

Lucky Strike
06-19-2009, 02:29 PM

They can't. The Canadian slot is allocated to Pool A of the preliminary group. At least, the Canada slot gets drawn against weaker Pool B teams (substitutions due to not meeting stadium requirements not withstanding).

Intru
06-19-2009, 02:29 PM

They cant they have to tough it out through the preliminary rounds.

Intru
06-19-2009, 02:31 PM
July 28 and August 4. If I'm reading this correctly, the first leg is in Toronto? Toronto is at Columbus the Saturday before the Tuesday first leg (and it's the day before the All-Star Game - well done there) and at New England on the Saturday before the Tuesday second leg.

Puerto Rico is at Vancouver on the Saturday before the Tuesday first leg - so they can just go straight from Vancouver to Toronto if the first leg is at BMO. Then they don't have a game the weekend before the second leg. So that's good for them.

ExiledRed
06-19-2009, 02:38 PM
All TFC players must decline to play on the all star team. Management should fight any league meddling that forces the issue.

Priorities is priorities, we can't lose DeRo and Guevara for that match.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Lets focus on Puerto Rico first..they also went well in the Concacaf CL this year and deserve respect...lets take them on then worry about the others...

DaBandit
06-19-2009, 02:49 PM
and this is one of the toughest stadiums to play in Central America... because of the Turf... they definately got some voodoo on their turf cause ours sucks...

they probably dont have the locals playing on it 24 hours a day..

C.Ronaldo
06-19-2009, 03:00 PM
thats seems a bit unfair.

even if TFC win the league, the still go to preliminary rounds....and second place goes to the group?

FluSH
06-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Lets focus on Puerto Rico first..they also went well in the Concacaf CL this year and deserve respect...lets take them on then worry about the others...

Fair enough...

I will close this thread as much as I am eager to face next challenge we should be looking at PR first... that and we need to stop the bad karma :D