PDA

View Full Version : Full marks for the TFC Victory - But should they change the format?

Canuck82
06-19-2009, 08:26 AM
As a TFC fan, that was an incredible display from the team, and I am overjoyed that we have the first of many pieces of hardware in the trophy case. I am also pleased that we didn't have to see a trophy presentation to a team that wasn't on the field in the final game.

That is why I am wondering if the Canadian Championship should not be decided in a single game final. Still play the three team round robin, with a final between the 1st and 2nd place teams and the home field of whomever finishes first.

Heck, with the way the schedule was set this year, can you imagine the viewership for a Canadian Championship game - Toronto FC vs Vancouver at BMO Field on July 1st - Canada Day for all the marbles....

It would give CBC something better to cover for Soccer Day in Canada than a meaningless Impact - Whitecaps USL game....

Just something to think about....:canada:

stugautz
06-19-2009, 08:28 AM
No, the format is good.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Eventually I'd like to see it expanded into a knockout tournament like the FA Cup, but for now, this definitely works.

InTheCrowd
06-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Does there need to be a final game for everything? We're in North America but we don't have to do everything the North American way.

ensco
06-19-2009, 09:35 AM
The tiebreaker formula isn't right.

Not that I'm complaining today!!

Lucky Strike
06-19-2009, 09:36 AM
No, it's fine as it is now. But at this point in time, I'm completely against any changes because Vancouver would somehow get the idea that they would be changing it simply because they feel robbed and it would be like admitting that the trophy win has an asterisk next to it, which it does not.