PDA

View Full Version : What's the Biggest Goal in TFC History

stugautz
06-19-2009, 07:49 AM
Chad Barret's goal to win the Voyageurs Cup or Danny Dichio's first goal in TFC history.

GabrielHurl
06-19-2009, 07:50 AM
it's still Dichio's - but by fuck Barrett's is close

FluSH
06-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Man... This is like choosing which child you love more... you just can't!

I think Barrett made me cry yesterday... seriously.

Hitcho
06-19-2009, 07:57 AM
In terms of importance, these two are the only goals to choose from. I still went for Dichio's just because of its enormous place in the history of our club and the lasting impact it has had and will probably always have.

But shit - we've scored some bloody good goals in our short history in terms of pure quality. Dichio's last gasp goal aganist NER at the end of season one, THAT free kick from Jimmy B, De Ro's overhead smash to open the scoring last night - the list just goes on!

Kaz
06-19-2009, 07:57 AM
it's still Dichio's

I don't mean to shit on Barrett's goal, but it really wasn't a hugely impressive goal.
It may have actually been the least impressive of the goals all night by Toronto, heck even some of Dichio's two misses would have been more impressive if they went in... Barrett's was a big one, and was well done, but last night was DeRo's and Guevera's night.

So DD's first is still tops for me

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2009, 08:01 AM
Barrett's..Dichios was special but Barretts more important..

Blazer
06-19-2009, 08:02 AM
Biggest goal: Barrett
Most memorable goal: Dichio

Hitcho
06-19-2009, 08:06 AM

No-one who was there that day will EVER forget Dichio's first goal and the seat cushions filling the sky. It is legend and shall be told forever.

ParadymeTFC
06-19-2009, 08:10 AM
There will never ever be another goal like Dichio's, hopefully we will have hundreds of CNC winning goals.

Dichio's hands down.

TorontoBlades
06-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Dichio was focused last night too, should have had a few....he was focused

Eastend
06-19-2009, 08:12 AM
I am a fan of Barrett but I'd still have to go with Dichio's on this. We only get 1 first goal in our history.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2009, 08:13 AM
To to see Barrett get the clincher though..maybe the monkey is off his back and will bag some against NY on WED.

coisty1966
06-19-2009, 08:15 AM
I had to take Barrett's because not every team ever wins the hardware.....not to downplay Dichio's goal but somebody was eventually going to get the first goal if he didn't

Blazer
06-19-2009, 08:15 AM
^ Doubtful ... he's still shyte

Davenport
06-19-2009, 08:22 AM
Dichio is a hero.
Barrett is a chump.
end of....

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-19-2009, 08:35 AM
I honestly can't decide anymore. Dichio is a god, but Barrett just won us our first trophy. Both are massive.

Blazer
06-19-2009, 08:46 AM
^ Barrett didn’t win us shit. Derosario and Guevara had much more to do with it that a guy who didn’t even start the game. Barrett was just the benefactor of a goal that was bound to be scored sooner or later. Right place right time. The best thing he did all night was make that pass to Guevara to set up the last goal.

Miko
06-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Gotta to go with Barrett.

There was always going to be a first goal...

Blazer
06-19-2009, 08:49 AM
There was always going to be a NL Cup win too.

RedMAN127
06-19-2009, 08:50 AM
I honestly can't decide anymore. Dichio is a god, but Barrett just won us our first trophy. Both are massive.

maybe add the Dero hat trick to the list, thats what put us in a position to win!

Kaz
06-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Barrett really didn't do anything only because of Guevera goal afterwards.

That 6th goal is what clinched the cup, Montreal rallied there at the end, if something had happened and they scored again then the 6th goal was the clincher.

To me Guevera's 91st minute goal was much more important. Not only did it give us a buffer but it put us to +5 goal, meaning that with the tie breaker didn't go to goals scored... it went to the differential. So to me Guevera's goal gave us the most important part of that win.

that being said... let Barrett get the credit, he works hard and if it boosts his confidence have gives him the ability to put that final touch on the ball against New York on Wednesday once or twice.. then go for it.. I'm tired of relying on Midfielders to score our goals.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-19-2009, 08:59 AM
^ Barrett didn’t win us shit. Derosario and Guevara had much more to do with it that a guy who didn’t even start the game. Barrett was just the benefactor of a goal that was bound to be scored sooner or later. Right place right time. The best thing he did all night was make that pass to Guevara to set up the last goal.
I realize that. ;) His was the 5th goal though, is all I'm saying.

ManUtd4ever
06-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Great poll. Dichio's goal was epic but I have to say that I was more excited when Barrett scored the clincher. I was practically in tears last night. The last time that happened was when Borschevsky scored the game 7 OT winner in 93' lol!

__wowza
06-19-2009, 09:42 AM
why dont we just cut the child in half?
seriously.. dont make me choose..

Blazer
06-19-2009, 09:43 AM
why dont we just cut the child in half?
seriously.. dont make me choose..

Which half is better? ;)

Blazer
06-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Oh, and how big were some of the Frei saves nearing the end of the game? Yikes!

You could make a case that he took 2 sitters (at least) away from MTL

trane
06-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Dichio's, that goal made our first season into something. Barret did well, but it was De Ro and Guevarra who were the monsters.

redangeldragnet
06-19-2009, 09:48 AM
I would definitely put Dichio's last-gasp equalizer from the last home match of season one in the top 5.

Parkdale
06-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Dichio.

there's still the chance we could have won without Barrett's goal.

Oldtimer
06-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Cruel to put this to a poll.

Both these goals deserve full honours.

Dave67
06-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Chad's by a fucking country mile. There was never any doubt that someone would score the first goal in Toronto FC history. Chad on the other scored a true historic goal.

Roogsy
06-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Man... This is like choosing which child you love more... you just can't!

I think Barrett made me cry yesterday... seriously.

I screamed in a bar where nobody knew what was going on and were looking at me like I was crazy, including my wife.

I was the only TFC fan and I didn't care!

dupont
06-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Boy that's tough.. I voted Dichio's first but that was a really hard decision!!

greatwhitenorf
06-19-2009, 11:27 AM
What a nice problem to have. What a great subject to get to debate. Nice to see TFC setting these landmarks down so quickly for fans to banter about.

Most historic goal: Dichio's first.

Most important goal: Barrett's against Montreal. Which could quickly be surpassed by a dramatic winner in the next round. CL group stage play will be huge for us.

Goal with the most emotional impact if you were there: Dichio's last-gasp equalizer against New England at the end of year one. His first goal was huge, but he literally brought the house down with that one.

But, geez. You could go on forever about the importance of Guevara's free kick last night, DeRo's bicycle kick opener and a host of others.

My alltime favorite goal: Ronnie O'Brien - with gorgeous, skillful backspin - chips down the right side for an overlapping Marvell Wynne to race onto. He then nutmegs a Colorado defender steps into the box and lashes a cross over that Dichio puts top shelf with his thigh. Amazing goal from year one.

Ahhhhh. Remembering our great goals. Love it!.

ochos
06-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Like others have said...

Biggest Goal - Chad Barret's to win the V-Cup - hands down. Our first trophy, our first championship. Give credit where it's due. If we ended up making the finals/winning the MLS cup year 1, maybe you could give this one to Dichio

Most Memorable Goal - Dichio, Dichio, Danny Dichio. I will never forget how loud BMO erupted when that goal went in. UNBELIEVABLE.

Our best goal ever scored... I know some here will agree - Todd Dunivant, to cap off a beautiful passing play against Villa.

FluSH
06-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Cruel to put this to a poll.

Both these goals deserve full honours.

I concur

rocker
06-19-2009, 12:14 PM
another great goal: Marco Velez's "christening" of the new Saputo stadium last year :) :)

we really like to give the Montreal fans something to see there: goals!

morgank1986
06-19-2009, 12:45 PM
I think the fact that Dichio's goal was at home, and the fact that it was seat cushion day, and that it instantly united all those in attendance, it has to be Dichio's. Barrett's is so close behind though, its almost like the plot from a movie, A player who has lost his confidence, lost favor with the fans and the coach, comes off the bence in a momentus game and scores the goal that wins the cup.

ilikemusic
06-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Dichio's goal was all well and good, but Barrett's goal actually won something.

Easy choice for me.

Admitedly, Barrett's goal was part of a larger picture, and his goal means nothing with DeRo's hat trick and Guevara's double, but the cup is really all that matters.

pubboy
06-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Barrett. Hopefully, this will give the guy some confidence and maybe soem of the 'fans' can get off his back (at least for a couple of games).
No more excuses - he's a hero for last night's goal, and needs to carry that over to league play.

Cambridge_Red
06-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Different degrees of epicness. Both equally as important

James Oliphant
06-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Dichio. Barrett's goal, while good, was too easy and against shit competition.

I love him for finishing it, and it will be remembered, but there will be no Barrett songs sung in the 83rd minute.

trane
06-19-2009, 03:38 PM
^ DeRo desrves a song on the nines for his goals. What was it 29, 39, 59 or something like that.

NateDoGG
06-19-2009, 04:07 PM
barrett gettin a head on that ball is priceless.

iansmcl
06-19-2009, 06:36 PM

^ +1

devioustrevor
06-19-2009, 08:03 PM
To be honest I think it was DeRo's third goal last night. It was the first Hattrick in TFC history and it showed that TFC wasn't going to be a first-half team again like vs. the Pink Cows.

--Edit--

Although DeRo's first last night was pretty important too. Not even counting the fact that it was a bicycle kick (which is more awesome than important) it calmed the nervous energy in a lot of TFC supporters after Montreal got that first goal.

TFC RealDeal RPB
06-19-2009, 11:16 PM
look someone had to score our frist goal and it was Danny, but Chad got the goal to gives us The Voyageurs Cup end of story

James Oliphant
06-19-2009, 11:27 PM
^ DeRo desrves a song on the nines for his goals. What was it 29, 39, 59 or something like that.

29, 39, 49 in fact.

I made a joke in the chatbox yesterday that De Ro is like 680 News: goals every 10 minutes on the 9s.

Shakes McQueen
06-20-2009, 07:26 AM
Barrett's goal clinched our first ever trophy for us, making it more important than our first goal, which was just an eventuality. However, I think Dichio's is more memorable, just because of the pandemonium that ensued afterward.

- Scott

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-20-2009, 07:29 AM
29, 39, 49 in fact.

I made a joke in the chatbox yesterday that De Ro is like 680 News: goals every 10 minutes on the 9s.
LOL... :D I never even thought of that.

ensco
06-20-2009, 08:57 AM
I voted Dichio #1, but I would write in for the Dichio goal vs NE (last game).

There should be a documentary about that last goal in 2007 - there was something perfect about it.

I kind of see all of the goals Thursday night as a group, even though Barrett's was the winner. They were all nice goals - every one showed quality.

billyfly
06-20-2009, 03:27 PM
I voted Barrett's b/c I cried after he scored it.

H Bomb
06-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Dichio had the biggest single goal. But Montreal was a way bigger deal.....but it's hard to judge that game by only one goal

The Kingpin
06-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Easy. Dichio. He became the face of the club, the everlasting folk hero. Time will tell, but let's see what Barrett will become... This was a goal in a tournament that TFC should walk away with every year until Vancouver and Montreal are in an equal league. Dichio scored when no one else could....

devioustrevor
06-21-2009, 12:00 AM
I voted Barrett's b/c I cried after he scored it.

Were you at Saputo? There were a few tears in the stands too. But mostly I remember the roar. I'll never forget that. Ever.

tfcleeds
06-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Both goals were magical...each in their own way.

Dichio's goal was the first for a fledgling franchise looking to start creating history for itself. The fact that the fans had waited so long for a goal, the tension was building, just that moment of release and spontaneous joy is something I will never forget.

Barrett's was special in the "Do you believe in miracles" sense...it seemed like such an impossible mountain to climb, needing 5 goals. For me at least, when goal 3 went in, I really started to think then that the impossible might be possible. Barrett's was the least impressive goal on the night, perhaps, but it was the culmination of an unbelievable comeback.

drewski
06-21-2009, 07:54 PM
both really important, but to me, the first piece of silverware by inches for me. and that will be surpassed by the guy who scores the winning goal for out first mls cup

Cuchulain
06-21-2009, 10:03 PM
I went with Dichio. Mainly because we watied so long for it and the seat cushin throwing. Plus I was there for it.

EAsoccer
06-22-2009, 02:19 AM
Neither, but both big goals in history, but I think Guevara's for the 6th goal, people keep forgetting that 5-1 didnt win us the Cup, the 6th did, which made our goal differential +5, beating out Vancouver, if the game ended 5-1 with Barrett's goal, we would have went to a coin toss or whatever the tie breaker was, which may not have turned out in favour of TFC, and would make Barrett's goal meaningless.

Any of Dero's 3 goals for honourable mention, particularly the 1st with the bicycle kick, TFC could have easily packed it in at 1-0 Montreal, and said we're not in it for a 2nd year running, but Dero said f it and attempted a beautiful scissor kick.

Between Dichio's & Barrett's has to be Dichio's 1st in history, yea anyone could have scored it and Dichio was the one.

Super
06-22-2009, 05:52 AM
No contest: Barrett's goal is the BIGGEST goal scored in our young history. Most sentimental? Dichio. But last time I checked this club is about winning trophies, and Barrett's won us one.

I was so happy and relieved when Dichio scored the first goal, but when Barrett scored it was on a whole other level.

Inswingingwingman
06-22-2009, 06:22 AM
After the team got back from Montreal I teased Danny D about finally letting the other guys get goals instead of hogging the limelight. Got a grin and a shoulder punch for that one.

Our first goal, scored by him, will be my #1 no matter what.

Shakes McQueen
06-22-2009, 06:49 AM
Neither, but both big goals in history, but I think Guevara's for the 6th goal, people keep forgetting that 5-1 didnt win us the Cup, the 6th did, which made our goal differential +5, beating out Vancouver, if the game ended 5-1 with Barrett's goal, we would have went to a coin toss or whatever the tie breaker was, which may not have turned out in favour of TFC, and would make Barrett's goal meaningless.

Any of Dero's 3 goals for honourable mention, particularly the 1st with the bicycle kick, TFC could have easily packed it in at 1-0 Montreal, and said we're not in it for a 2nd year running, but Dero said f it and attempted a beautiful scissor kick.

Between Dichio's & Barrett's has to be Dichio's 1st in history, yea anyone could have scored it and Dichio was the one.

The tiebreaker would have been goals scored, which we would have won, which is why we needed to win by four to clinch the trophy.

- Scott

drewski
06-22-2009, 07:42 PM
The tiebreaker would have been goals scored, which we would have won, which is why we needed to win by four to clinch the trophy.

- Scott

^^^

http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=3670

The Tie-Breaking Criteria are determined in the following order:
1. Most points in all group matches
2. Greater # of points in matches between the teams concerned
3. Greater goal difference in matches between the teams concerned (if more than two teams finish equal on points) **
4. Greater # of goals scored in matches among the teams concerned (if more than two teams finish equal on points) **
5. Results from all group matches
a) greater goal difference in all group matches
b) greater # of goals scored in all group matches
6. Drawing of lots

pat416
06-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Dannies is a bigger goal. Remeber the seat cushions!!!!

Toronto_Bhoy
06-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Looking forward to hearing you guys sing "The Chad Barrett Song" in the 83 minute that voted for his goal! LOL!!!

No contest…first goal in club history!!!

__wowza
06-24-2009, 07:47 PM
vitti's goal.
adjust accordingly.

Cashcleaner
06-25-2009, 12:31 AM
I'd say it was DeRo's first goal of three that got the ball rolling in Montreal.

Yozzarian
06-25-2009, 12:56 AM
Chad's by a fucking country mile. There was never any doubt that someone would score the first goal in Toronto FC history. Chad on the other scored a true historic goal.

I remember that season, and at the time it was in doubt that we would ever score...