PDA

View Full Version : TFC @ Skydome,competition breakdown

nick.mastro
06-19-2009, 12:30 AM
just how exactly does this work.

we face Puerto Rico islanders in a home and away leg, if we win that, we go into a groupstage. in the group stage who makes it out, first or first and second.

then after that is it quarter finals?

and when do you think TFC would play at the skydome, in the group stage, or iffff we advance from there

:) thanks

Dunkers
06-19-2009, 12:33 AM
playing in the skydome would suck! If you thought the turf at bmo was bad, the turf at olympic stadium was WAY worse. I care about the play on the pitch, not the fans in the stands.

James17930
06-19-2009, 12:36 AM
playing in the skydome would suck! If you thought the turf at bmo was bad, the turf at olympic stadium was WAY worse. I care about the play on the pitch, not the fans in the stands.

Yeah, but -- and this getting WAY ahead of ourselves -- we have to play a game in February, it has to be at the Dome. You cannot play a soccer game in -20 degree weather, I'm sorry.

Maybe since they know it will sell out they'd be willing to lay down grass for the match.

nick.mastro
06-19-2009, 12:42 AM
hope soo.

but would this be during the groupstage, or would it be IFF we advance from the groupstage

Lennon
06-19-2009, 12:44 AM
hope soo.

but would this be during the groupstage, or would it be IFF we advance from the groupstage

From the group stage ... they probly won't play games at Skydome if it isn't cold

James17930
06-19-2009, 12:46 AM
hope soo.

It would after the group stage -- if we make it to the quarter-finals.

Nestease
06-19-2009, 12:51 AM
MLSE would most likely rather play under a bubble than make a deal with Rogers.

nick.mastro
06-19-2009, 12:51 AM
unless MLSE thinks they can sell skydome out during the groupstage, and you know how their all about making more money...

Troll
06-19-2009, 12:52 AM
They should buy a see-through bubble. It'd be like watching a game of fooseball.

Lennon
06-19-2009, 12:53 AM
They should buy a see-through bubble. It'd be like watching a game of fooseball.

lmfao

Red CB Toronto
06-19-2009, 12:57 AM
A deal between Rogers and MLSE would be fine, they are already partners on the Bills in Toronto series.

Nestease
06-19-2009, 01:00 AM
unless MLSE thinks they can sell skydome out during the groupstage, and you know how their all about making more money...

When Montreal did this, they sold tickets practically for nothing and tickets at Saputo were worth nothing. I doubt you'd sell out Skydome at the current price table. If they had to lower the prices and give Rogers a cut, they might as well hold it in their own building.

MLSE will raise ticket prices and play in a bubble before sharing their profits. If they thought they could make money at Skydome, Real Madrid would be playing there.

James17930
06-19-2009, 01:03 AM
When Montreal did this, they sold tickets practically for nothing and tickets at Saputo were worth nothing. I doubt you'd sell out Skydome at the current price table. If they had to lower the prices and give Rogers a cut, they might as well hold it in their own building.

MLSE will raise ticket prices and play in a bubble before sharing their profits. If they thought they could make money at Skydome, Real Madrid would be playing there.

The game physically and logically cannot be held at BMO.

The Dome is the only option -- so technically they could charge whatever they wanted.

However, I think they're smart enough not to go overboard on the pricing.

Darlofletch
06-19-2009, 01:03 AM
Yeah, but -- and this getting WAY ahead of ourselves -- we have to play a game in February, it has to be at the Dome. You cannot play a soccer game in -20 degree weather, I'm sorry.....

If we're playing against some central american team, talk about a home field advantage.

James17930
06-19-2009, 01:06 AM
If we're playing against some central american team, talk about a home field advantage.

There's no home field advantage when your own players get frostbite.

Raging Reggie
06-19-2009, 01:09 AM

The Dome is the only option -- so technically they could charge whatever they wanted.

However, I think they're smart enough not to go overboard on the pricing.

SMH :)

Nestease
06-19-2009, 01:11 AM

Nevermind, you're right. I forgot there were no stands under the bubble. Maybe they'll squeeze a field inside the Air Canada Centre :D

Lennon
06-19-2009, 01:13 AM
There's no home field advantage when your own players get frostbite.

Probly still some advantage playing vs. players that have never seen snow before ...

Shway
06-19-2009, 01:17 AM
.....definately not lol
with all the seats having to be move you could expect a capacity of 10k the most

Shway
06-19-2009, 01:23 AM
this is really interesting to how this would be if tfc make it to the quaters, because Montreal was able to play in the olympic stadium because it was owned by the governemt of Quebec, but Rogers Centre is owned by rogers communications, i wonder what kind of price MLSE would have to pay to play in there, and what ticket prices would we be looking at

Nestease
06-19-2009, 01:24 AM
.....definately not lol
with all the seats having to be move you could expect a capacity of 10k the most

They'll charge you $300 a ticket and call it "the price of having a big game in a small venue". Don't worry though, you'll get loyalty pricing.

Cannon
06-19-2009, 01:25 AM
Continuing on the big IF we make it to the quarters scenario.

Can you guys see Rogers totally sticking it to MLSE because they know the Skydome is really the only place they could hold the game?

Shway
06-19-2009, 01:34 AM
i can totally see that,
and that being a factor to the supporters

James17930
06-19-2009, 02:29 AM
Continuing on the big IF we make it to the quarters scenario.

Can you guys see Rogers totally sticking it to MLSE because they know the Skydome is really the only place they could hold the game?

No. Rogers and MLSE have a good working relationship -- they're not enemies. I don't know where this perception comes from.

Rogers would love to have the game in the Dome. 55,000+ buying tickets, not to mention the concessions. It would be a huge pay-day for them.

They'd be on it instantly if the opportunity arises.

boban
06-19-2009, 09:47 AM
tickets were not for nothing. Biggest misconception out there.
A great amount were for $30 and up.

Marc"2L"
06-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Rogers hasn't had a brush with TFC supporters yet. All MLSE has to do is say "It's them" and the war hounds will be released.

And if it is at the skydome, we need banners. Lots and lots and lots and lots of banners.

But James is right. Concessions and what not would be huge.

NF-FC
06-19-2009, 10:07 AM
I'd love to see SkyDome turned red, but even if we get past the Islanders, were in the group of death. Saprissa, Columbus, Cruz Azul, yikes! We'd deserve some sort of trophy just for making it out of that group.

olegunnar
06-19-2009, 10:11 AM
I'd love to see SkyDome turned red, but even if we get past the Islanders, were in the group of death. Saprissa, Columbus, Cruz Azul, yikes! We'd deserve some sort of trophy just for making it out of that group.

Yeah
I was going to post this in it's own thread.
This draw makes no sense.

Islanders did really well in last years tourny
Saprissa are CR champs
Crew are MLS champs
Cruz Azul 2008 Mexican league champs. 3rd in 2009.

Concacaf must not have any weighted seedings otherwise this never would have happened.

Even IF we get past the Islanders we'd be the 4th best in our group of 4.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-19-2009, 10:17 AM
tickets were not for nothing. Biggest misconception out there.
A great amount were for $30 and up.
Yep, this is true. the Impact also did a lot of publicity for the game, and if we get there, so should MLSE.

RedMAN127
06-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Rogers hasn't had a brush with TFC supporters yet. All MLSE has to do is say "It's them" and the war hounds will be released.

And if it is at the skydome, we need banners. Lots and lots and lots and lots of banners.

went to grey cup, and it took a whole quarter to get a beer ... it would be a riot with TFC fans, not to mention the diziness climing six stories to your seats ... it would be the worst game atmosphere ever

gtaguy
06-19-2009, 10:34 AM
I can't see rogers doing much with the stadium in the middle of winter.. I think this would be welcomed money for any business..
First is first we really need to do well against Columbus and Cruz Azul.. I kinda like the idea of seeing how we stack up against Central american and Caribbean squads..

SilverSamurai
06-19-2009, 10:51 AM
http://www.ourgamecatalog.com/eventmakers/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/44f3bdae63a765467acafd1292c4bb72.jpg

FluSH
06-19-2009, 10:53 AM

Hahaha

I can totally see this happening...

Darlofletch
06-19-2009, 11:01 AM
went to grey cup, and it took a whole quarter to get a beer ... it would be a riot with TFC fans, not to mention the diziness climing six stories to your seats ... it would be the worst game atmosphere ever

people always say we want a roof to improve the atmosphere. This wouldn't just be a roof over the stands, it's fully enclosed, get 40-50,000 people in there for the biggest game in our history, some of this:scarf: some of that:drum:, atmosphere would be great.

C.Ronaldo
06-19-2009, 11:07 AM
no chance of retrofitting something the hershey centre full size indoor soccer field?

I think york/vaughn has one of these to, no?

Manutd #1
06-19-2009, 11:33 AM
There is another option that nobody wants but may have to be done and has been done in the past is that they play their home game in a neutral location like Florida or something its the Dome or that

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Um... there's no way we'd play it in Florida. There are plenty of indoor venues in Ontario, and I'm sure there would be no problem with using SkyDome.

Roogsy
06-19-2009, 11:55 AM
No. Rogers and MLSE have a good working relationship -- they're not enemies. I don't know where this perception comes from.

Rogers would love to have the game in the Dome. 55,000+ buying tickets, not to mention the concessions. It would be a huge pay-day for them.

They'd be on it instantly if the opportunity arises.

I agree. The two companies will quickly come to an agreement should TFC get that far. TFC will want to replicate what happened in Montreal last year and to sell the stadium out won't be a problem considering you have 20,000 regular attendees to the game PLUS those on the waiting list PLUS anyone else who wants to watch footy in the middle of winter when the Leafs are still stinking up the NHL.

50k in Skydome is a definite possibility if TFC do things right. This is where not only do they have to reach out to the harcore fans, but where we do need the soccer moms and the school kids.

James17930
06-19-2009, 11:56 AM
I agree. The two companies will quickly come to an agreement should TFC get that far. TFC will want to replicate what happened in Montreal last year and to sell the stadium out won't be a problem considering you have 20,000 regular attendees to the game PLUS those on the waiting list PLUS anyone else who wants to watch footy in the middle of winter when the Leafs are still stinking up the NHL.

50k in Skydome is a definite possibility if TFC do things right. This is where not only do they have to reach out to the harcore fans, but where we do need the soccer moms and the school kids.

Yes.

However, as has been mentioned, if we get by the Islanders we're in the group of death, so . . . just being realistic, we'll have to play amazingly to get that far.

Roogsy
06-19-2009, 11:59 AM
I agree. That's why I said "should TFC get that far".

We shouldn't count our chickens before they're hatched. But it's still nice to think about the possibility for now.

James17930
06-19-2009, 12:10 PM
I agree. That's why I said "should TFC get that far".

We shouldn't count our chickens before they're hatched. But it's still nice to think about the possibility for now.

I agree. Chickens ARE delicious.

ElvistheEvilScotsman
06-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Yeah, but -- and this getting WAY ahead of ourselves -- we have to play a game in February, it has to be at the Dome. You cannot play a soccer game in -20 degree weather, I'm sorry.

Maybe since they know it will sell out they'd be willing to lay down grass for the match.

You think paying 250k for grass for Real Madrid is expensive. Trucking in grass in February would easily be four times the price as there aint no sod available anywhere near by.

ElvistheEvilScotsman
06-19-2009, 12:25 PM

All the more reason to get a DP this season to ensure we make into and out of the group stage.

:scarf:

Marc"2L"
06-19-2009, 12:32 PM
When do the group stages get going?

TOBOR !
06-19-2009, 12:33 PM
You think paying 250k for grass for Real Madrid is expensive. Trucking in grass in February would easily be four times the price as there aint no sod available anywhere near by.

Too right.

What's the matter with you pussies anyway ? It'd be sensational to stand and cheer at the back of 224 in fucking February... we'd see who the real fans are then.

NF-FC
06-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Will being in the champions league make us more attractive to potential players?

TFC Cityboy
06-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Too right.

What's the matter with you pussies anyway ? It'd be sensational to stand and cheer at the back of 224 in fucking February... we'd see who the real fans are then.
Can't be any colder than the away ends I've stood in at Oldham or Barnsley in the howling gales and sleet of an english winter.I'd be there in -30 at BMO if it were feasible. I'd be willing to wager that IF the pitch were playable - with uncovered stands we'd sell out. Bitchy wouldn't have a bloody clue what was going on tho'!!

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2009, 03:35 PM

Play at BMO its to our advantage...cold. mild whatever....with out mild winters lately it could be 6-7C no worse then some of our april games this season!!

bee dubya
06-19-2009, 03:40 PM
It will be interesting to see how the team approaches those games if we make it far enough into the competition. The Group stages are March 9 & 16, which can really be iffy weather-wise in TO. That said, the MLS season did kick off March 19 this year so it's possible that TFC would avoid using the Dome unless they were really worried about the weather/think they can sell 50,000 to the game.