PDA

View Full Version : Whitecaps Reaction

CDNSoccerFan
06-18-2009, 11:45 PM
http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/backofthenet/archive/2009/06/19/thordarson-irked-by-impact-s-lineup.aspx

That the Impact rested a handful of starters in the 6-1 loss left Whitecaps head coach Teitur Thordarson in a rancorous mood.

“The way they approached this match is a problem,” he said. “My opinion is you approach basically all games in a professional way. I do that every game because I feel it’s important for me and my team.

“We played a Nutrilite game against Toronto last year that meant nothing to us, we were out of the tournament, but we drew them at home 2-2.”

“Guys are obviously upset, visibly upset,” said Whitecaps captain Martin Nash, whose side posted a 3-1-0 Nutrilite record. “It was very hard for the guys to sit and watch that. It’s a tough pill to swallow but we’ve got to get on with the league, which is the more important thing now.”

“I must admit, I never saw this coming,” said Thordarson. “I’m very disappointed. But I’m very proud of my team for what they did. Unfortunately, our destiny was in another’s hands and it didn’t go our way.”

HA

Shakes McQueen
06-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Oh fuck off, you would have rested the same players if you were in Montreal's position.

I don't think Montreal intended to roll over and die. They actually looked decent for the first 15 minutes or so. After that, it was pretty much the same as the last time we played them, except we bagged our chances this go around.

- Scott

ExiledRed
06-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Ha ha

Suck it up fuckheads!

TheRenter
^^^seconded; HAHA

Technorgasm
Eat it!!!!!

Technorgasm
06-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Shakes? G4Y

Shakes McQueen
06-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Are you drunk or something, Techno? haha

- Scott

Technorgasm
06-18-2009, 11:49 PM
No one can rain on my cloud.

Carter homer. Tfc 6-1 win

Sonny Cheeba
06-18-2009, 11:50 PM
Suck My Cock Vancouver!!!

... Suck It

Dunkers
06-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Having the unfortuante privilage of watching TFC loose to the Whitecaps in Van City last month, i deffinalty remeber the whitecaps spraying the champaign after the game. I bet they feel like ass now!

Technorgasm
06-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Let's turn some cars and burn em!

Raps? Leafs? Marlies? Argos ?

Mtl in your house? Eat the peanut encrusted shite out of my arse. !!!

Technorgasm
06-18-2009, 11:52 PM
Best part vancuty watched. Then have to play the mtl cunts this weekend

Eat it fresh and peanutty

Technorgasm
06-18-2009, 11:53 PM
Scott for pm!!!!

Eat it hard Canada tfc silverware

InTheCrowd
06-18-2009, 11:53 PM
Let's turn some cars and burn em!

Raps? Leafs? Marlies? Argos ?

Mtl in your house? Eat the peanut encrusted shite out of my arse. !!!

Kind of creepy. But all in the spirit of our beloved club I guess?? :o

this is joga
06-18-2009, 11:54 PM
Oh fuck off, you would have rested the same players if you were in Montreal's position.

can you read?

this is what Thordarson said.. and did, last season:

“We played a Nutrilite game against Toronto last year that meant nothing to us, we were out of the tournament, but we drew them at home 2-2.”

I'm as happy as a pig in shit after tonights win.. although I also have both of my feet on the ground. TFC played a Montreal team that dressd a bunch of kids that play in their CSL team. i would hope that we won my 5 goals.

:scarf:

this is joga
06-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Having the unfortuante privilage of watching TFC loose to the Whitecaps in Van City last month, i deffinalty remeber the whitecaps spraying the champaign after the game. I bet they feel like ass now!

did they really?
ha! thats pretty funny... i had no idea

boomcha
06-18-2009, 11:55 PM
F off hippies!! Whats the saying? Don't count your chicken before they hatch?

Danny says EAT IT!!

ExiledRed
06-18-2009, 11:56 PM
They were Montreal's bitch last year, they should be quiet.

Technorgasm
Were all in thesame gang

boban
They were in Montreal's position last year. Didn't you read?

InTheCrowd
06-18-2009, 11:57 PM
Montreal weren't "resting" a handful of their players, they were out due to injuries, international duty and family matters. Teitur Thordarson feels stupid!

Anyway, I believe it was only 2 Attak players that were called up am I correct? That doesn't change the fact that we played like beasts!

Shakes McQueen
can you read?

I'm as happy as a pig in shit after tonights win.. although I also have both of my feet on the ground. TFC played a Montreal team that dressd a bunch of kids that play in their CSL team. i would hope that we won my 5 goals.

The fact that they drew us last season doesn't mean anything. We were a shit team last year, and they were the USL champions. Of course they drew us.

He also doesn't mention if they rested players or not - just that they tied us.

Bottom line: Fuck Vancouver. Wring that champagne out of your jerseys, and return the bottles, you dumb bastards.

- Scott

Technorgasm
Mtl concerded 10
Scored 1
I am going to knit a santos jersey with tfc

The ultimate mtl insult

Dunkers
did they really?
ha! thats pretty funny... i had no idea

No Jokes!

boban
06-18-2009, 11:58 PM

Someone with his head screwed on straight.
:flare::drum:

ExiledRed
Montreal are like, the only relevant team in north america who hasn't beaten us at least once.

Lennon

Haha that's awesome! :D

Shakes McQueen
06-18-2009, 11:59 PM
They were in Montreal's position last year. Didn't you read?

No, they weren't. Montreal has a fucking Greyhound bus of players with injuries, so they didn't play them. Did Vancouver trot out their walking wounded last year?

Yeah, I can read. Doesn't make what he said any more correct.

Dickish as always.

- Scott

fiji_blue
06-19-2009, 12:00 AM
DERO IS OUR HERO!!!!!!!!! Whitecaps put a CAP in your Champage!!!!!! CAUSE TO gots DERO ......... I am WORE MY SCARF AT THE BAR IN Scarborough and I will wear it all DAY tomorrow.. If I see another scarf we will have a drink to our first TROPHY!

I am so FUCKING PROUD of our TEAM 2 NIGHT!!!!!!!!

Lucky Strike
06-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Montreal are like, the only relevant team in north america who hasn't beaten us at least once.

I've said in another thread, but you can always count on Montreal for a good ol' fashioned meltdown.

this is joga
06-19-2009, 12:01 AM
The fact that they drew us last season doesn't mean anything. We were a shit team last year, and they were the USL champions. Of course they drew us.

according to this same board, we were a shit team two weeks ago (after we lost to the whitecaps)

He also doesn't mention if they rested players or not - just that they tied us.

Bottom line: Fuck Vancouver. Ring that champagne out of your jerseys, and return the bottles, you dumb bastards.

- Scott

i agree, fuck Vancouver and fuck Montreal... we're the champs now!
(but seeing the opening line-up before the match, and seeing that MTL rested a bunch of guys and had a bunch of injuries mad me one happy supporter)

ExiledRed
06-19-2009, 12:02 AM
Vancouver rolled over and died for Montreal after playing hard against us last year, regardless of who they played. They deserve it.

Hooligan69
06-19-2009, 12:05 AM
Fuck Vancouver! Fuck Montreal! Fuck the USL! We are the new champions. :D

boban
06-19-2009, 12:06 AM
No, they weren't. Montreal has a fucking Greyhound bus of players with injuries, so they didn't play them. Did Vancouver trot out their walking wounded last year?

Yeah, I can read. Doesn't make what he said any more correct.

Dickish as always.

- Scott
It's not so much a question of the walking wounded.
It's a question of those on the field and if they showed up or not.
Great win for our club in so many ways. No doubt.
But let's not be stupid about it.

Azerban
06-19-2009, 12:09 AM
fuck the southsiders

fuck um02

fuck vancouver

fuck montreal

toronto supremacy

rocker
06-19-2009, 12:12 AM
this notion that Montreal rested all their players is bullshit.

I just looked at the rosters for the Montreal vs Vancouver games and at least 7 starters from tonight started against Vancouver. didn't Brillant come on tonight too? If so, he started one of the Vancouver games. I'm not even counting Testo, who started tonight but didn't play against Vancouver -- but he played last year in the Voyageurs Cup. He's not a Trois Riviere player So that means they put in 4 guys that were new. Last year all I heard about was how deep USL rosters were compared to MLS rosters. ????

jloome
06-19-2009, 12:12 AM
can you read?

By my count they had three non-regulars and their backup keeper. That's hardly "dressing a bunch of kids."

rocker
06-19-2009, 12:15 AM
the funny thing about that 2-2 draw in Vancouver is TFC dominated that game. I distinctly remember it being one of those moment where I couldn't believe how well TFC was playing. Shitecaps lucked out a goal at the end, but I wouldn't call that game some amazing determined competitive effort on their part. and it was at their home.

boban
06-19-2009, 12:15 AM
I don't about the numbers EXACTLY but I did hear a couple came from their Attack team and they started.
Also, I just checked the summary. Why was Jordan on the bench? Especially when the field players were so much weakened with injuries and everything else.

Hooligan69
06-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Who started and who didn't start for Montreal is irrelevant to me. We won the fucking game and that's all there is to it. You'd think people would be happy instead of looking for excuses.

boban
06-19-2009, 12:19 AM
Who started and who didn't start for Montreal is irrelevant to me. We won the fucking game and that's all there is to it.
Right you are for TFC's perspective.
At the end of the day people will remember who won, not how.

Shakes McQueen
06-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Who started and who didn't start for Montreal is irrelevant to me. We won the fucking game and that's all there is to it. You'd think people would be happy instead of looking for excuses.

It's the Toronto sports fan mentality. It's like a sickness.

- Scott

rocker
06-19-2009, 12:21 AM

ya i don't get it either. but people look for excuses or ways to bring it down a notch.

Fact: Montreal played "MOST" of their starters and we beat them 6-1 at their house.

They did not start "a CSL team" as some have said.

nick.mastro
06-19-2009, 12:21 AM
HAHAHAH fuck ttheemm

Hooligan69
06-19-2009, 12:23 AM
We slaughtered a bunch of worthless pigs in their home ground, a stadium that looked nearly empty.

this is joga
06-19-2009, 12:29 AM
By my count they had three non-regulars and their backup keeper. That's hardly "dressing a bunch of kids."

by my count thats about 40% of the playing roster.
btw the 4 "new" players tonight have a total of 19 games between them... oh, and its 19 USL games.

Dunkers
06-19-2009, 12:36 AM
btw the 4 "new" players tonight have a total of 19 games between them... oh, and its 19 USL games.

And Dejenavic has played in 8 MLS games, for TFC.......

Jack
06-19-2009, 12:38 AM

36%

Seems like your little theory has a bit of a hole in it. Or is it 64% of a hole? :rolleyes:

Nice try, though.

We beat them. They fielded the best team they could under the circumstances. That's the way this sport works. We've had as many as nine regulars out (81% of our starters, incase you were wondering) and had to play competitive games with little to no excuses or sympathy.

You've been negative all evening. I suppose it's not cool to celebrate when your team pulls off an amazing victory. The Torontonian thing to do is poke holes and look for the negative, right?

this is joga
06-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Who started and who didn't start for Montreal is irrelevant to me. We won the fucking game and that's all there is to it.

AGREED!

You'd think people would be happy instead of looking for excuses.

no-one is looking for excuse.. all i ma doing (and i'll only speak for myself) is commenting on what shakes mcqueen wrote "Oh fuck off, you would have rested the same players if you were in Montreal's position"

and i simply pointed out that Vancouver didn't do the same thing that Montreal did tonight.

this win is BIG no matter how you slice it.. although when someone makes a comment that i find to be completely wrong (or in this case, stupid) i can't help myself but to comment.

.. so, no-one is making excuses. just pointing out that same peeps make moronic posts.

this always happens on here. someone makes a comment that not all the fair-weather fans agree with and they get jumped. i'm signing off before it gets ugly.. and i'm sorry that i thought we could have a discussion here.

lates

rocker
06-19-2009, 12:39 AM

according to my count, the roster Montreal fielded tonight has 655 games of experience in the USL.

according to my count, the roster Vancouver fielded against Montreal in their last game has 528 games of experience in the USL.

Maybe Vancouver should take the tournament more seriously and stop playing those inexperienced kiddies like Marcus Haber and Wes Knight ;)

this is joga
06-19-2009, 12:41 AM
36%

Seems like your little theory has a bit of a hole in it. Or is it 64% of a hole? :rolleyes:

Nice try, though.

We beat them. They fielded the best team they could under the circumstances. That's the way this sport works. We've had as many as nine regulars out (81% of our roster, incase you were wondering).

You've been negative all evening. I suppose it's not cool to celebrate when your team pulls off an amazing victory. The Torontonian thing to do is poke holes and look for the negative, right?

hey jacky boy.. why don't you go back and read all the post i made in this thread. was i even once being negative towards the team or the BIG fucking win tonight? let me save you the time. NO!

i was commenting on one person that thought Vancouver wouldn't done the same thing if they were in Montreal's position.. and VAN was in MTL position last season.

that is all i am saying.

this is joga
06-19-2009, 12:42 AM
btw.. i know 100% for sure, if we would've lost (or not scored 4 goals) against the impact tonight with the team the fielded people on here would be saying that we lost to a shitty team that dressed a bunch of CSL.. now that is fact!

Jack
06-19-2009, 12:43 AM
hey jacky boy.. why don't you go back and read all the post i made in this thread. was i even once being negative towards the team or the BIG fucking win tonight? let me save you the time. NO!

i was commenting on one person that thought Vancouver wouldn't done the same thing if they were in Montreal's position.. and VAN was in MTL position last season.

that is all i am saying.
Just going by what I've read, which has been somewhat negative. I guess I shouldn't say "all evening" then.

Anyway, Montreal fielded the team they could for this match. They were missing players to injury and family situations.

Anyway, I'm going to try to go to bed now! :D

:flare::scarf::drum::drum::scarf::flare:

Hooligan69
06-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Did I just get called a fair-weather fan? :confused:

rocker
06-19-2009, 12:48 AM
btw.. i know 100% for sure, if we would've lost (or not scored 4 goals) against the impact tonight with the team the fielded people on here would be saying that we lost to a shitty team that dressed a bunch of CSL.. now that is fact!

no they wouldn't, because they didn't dress a bunch of CSL players.

last I checked these players below are USL, not CSL, players. Heck, Testo even played for the Columbus Crew! Many of the guys below are key players on Montreal and played big parts in their champions league run last year.

Stephen deRoux, Simon Gatti, Kevin Sakuda, Leonardo Di Lorenzo, Tony Donatelli, Felix Brilliant, Joey Gjertsen, David Testo, Stefano Pesoli, Peter Byers, Rocco Placentino

this is joga
06-19-2009, 12:48 AM
Did I just get called a fair-weather fan? :confused:

it was meant for all and not directed at you unless..
let me answer your question with a question. did you post here that the team was shit and were calling for the teams head on platter when the lost to the whitecaps?

if yes.. then yeah, i think you're a fair-weather fan.. or at the very least a bandwagon jumper.

if you didn't.. than the comment i made was not directed at you.

Hooligan69
06-19-2009, 12:50 AM
let me answer your question with a question. did you post here that the team was shit and were calling for the teams head on platter when the lost to the whitecaps?

if yes.. then yeah, i think you're a fair-weather fan.. or at the very least a bandwagon jumper.

I usually don't express much of an opinion on this forum aside from tonight and the recent Real Madrid debacle.

this is joga
06-19-2009, 12:51 AM
no they wouldn't, because they didn't dress a bunch of CSL players.

last I checked these players below are USL, not CSL, players. Heck, Testo even played for the Columbus Crew! Many of the guys below are key players on Montreal and played big parts in their champions league run last year.

Stephen deRoux, Simon Gatti, Kevin Sakuda, Leonardo Di Lorenzo, Tony Donatelli, Felix Brilliant, Joey Gjertsen, David Testo, Stefano Pesoli, Peter Byers, Rocco Placentino

both the mayard kids play for Trois-Rivičres Attak.. who btw play in the CSL.
.. and byers has 12 USL games in two seasons.

this is joga
06-19-2009, 12:52 AM
I usually don't express much of an opinion on this forum aside from tonight and the recent Real Madrid debacle.

so theres your answer.

Jack
06-19-2009, 12:59 AM

Or an angry, disappointed supporter perhaps? One who wears their heart on their sleeve?

Pretty harsh to call someone fairweather or bandwagon.

We do have ups and downs emotionally with the team, it's to be expected. The Vancouver game was the straw that broke the camel's back for a lot of people and frustrations boiled over. Doesn't mean they loved the team any less.

I still think the team needs some work and I still think the Madrid fiasco is a huge joke and a slap in the face to those of us who take this league seriously and take the competition seriously.

Brooker
06-19-2009, 01:14 AM
"our fate was in another teams hands"

yeah... exactly.... you relied on them to get you +4 goals going into tonight cuz they couldn't score goals..... tonight they still couldn't score and now you turn around to bitch at them for it.

Vancouver Shitecaps.... who the fuck are ya?

Yohan
06-19-2009, 01:47 AM
greatest day in TFC history and people are bitching about what?

WHO ARE YA!

jloome
06-19-2009, 02:06 AM
Enormous Coastal Pussies. I think we have to add them to the Columbus Few as official asswipe rivals. No grace at all; last year, when we lost, we blamed ourselves. This year, we walk over Montreal (and I'm watching the game again right now in French, and they were trying, regardless of what Vancouverites thinl) and all we hear is crying.

Cashcleaner
06-19-2009, 02:09 AM
Fuck Vancouver and their shitty fans. Montreal may have been preparing themselves for a draw, but no team, NO FUCKING TEAM IN THE WORLD is going to roll over and let their rival score 6 goals against them.

I suggest all the whining bitches in Vancouver give their heads a shake or at least pull them out of their asses. Montreal threw in the towel only after we put the 4th goal in the back of the net.

GhostPK
06-19-2009, 02:30 AM
The southsiders on the WhitecRap forums are saying Montreal threw the game at the end so we could win. Well Vancouver, I think you learned a valuable lesson today. Don't leave your fate in the hands of a french team (no offense to french teams). Go out and get the trophy yourself, because thats what we did and we stole it from you. NOW QUIT YOUR WHINING!

I said it in Vancouver and I say it again.... TFC CANADA'S TEAM!!

jloome
06-19-2009, 02:32 AM
Now they're whining on Soccer By Ives.

Wow, what a meltdown. First by Montreal, then by the collective superegos from the wet coast.

Soccersteve
06-19-2009, 02:40 AM
Simply if all was so one sided & unfair.....................just ask one question

Who scored the first goal making the task tougher on TFC.

I guess that says it all !!!!

TFC Till I Die, Soccersteve.

grizzle
06-19-2009, 02:40 AM
Aww... I feel bad... LOL right... HAHAHA TOO BAD VANCOUVER, THE CUP IS WHERE IT BELONGS!

Soccersteve
06-19-2009, 02:42 AM
Love the spirit mate !!

Always be true to yourself................

TFC Til I Die, Soccersteve.

GhostPK
06-19-2009, 02:45 AM
Picture this... first day back to University and I walk in to class wearing FULL TFC gear, maybe even chanting. The expression on the "WhitecRap supporters" faces will be priceless... almost as priceless as when I walked into class wearing full Rider gear and laughed at all the Lions fans 2 years ago.

Intru
06-19-2009, 03:11 AM
Why do you care what los blancos de mierdas say so much? You won now you have a new oponent to worry about :)

ensco
06-19-2009, 06:20 AM
I confess to getting caught up in the euphoria, when I thought I wouldn't :p

I think, though, that there is one argument Vancouver could make (which I haven't seen anywhere, maybe they're too thick to make it?) which is that the tiebreak procedure was wrong and unfair, and should be changed for next year.

Many other tournaments of similar formats use head to head results, and head to head goal differential, as the first and second tiebreak, just to avoid the scenario that occurred last night.

But it was what it was.....holy smokes, I still can't believe that.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-19-2009, 06:31 AM
They could have rested their whole first team, and scoring four goals still would have been unlikely. We've played against teams with injuries before and never done this, suck it up, Sh*tecaps.

Anyway, we won! Woo!

Suds
06-19-2009, 07:03 AM
The Whitecraps should have t-shirts made up that say "I went to Montreal and all I got with this lousy Nutrilite t-shirt" ... HAHA ... Eat it!

Mikey
06-19-2009, 07:14 AM
The wailing and gnashing of teeth on the Southsiders forums is truely biblical.......

MMMM DELICIOUS! :hump:

stugautz
06-19-2009, 07:34 AM
Hey Vancouver...if you hate Montreal so much, take it out on them Saturday when you have you're league game. I hope Montreal whips your ass real good so you can STFU.

But why were the Vancouver players on the field after the game? They were eliminated from the tournament shouldn't they be at the hotel?

mastermixer
06-19-2009, 07:38 AM
It does kinda suck that we won the championship against a USL second string team, but hey I'LL TAKE IT!

stugautz
06-19-2009, 07:40 AM
It does kinda suck that we won the championship against a USL second string team, but hey I'LL TAKE IT!

Winning a championship never sucks!

Toronto Gunner
06-19-2009, 07:44 AM
Suck it Vancouver. Suck it long, and suck it hard.

pubboy
06-19-2009, 07:49 AM

Seriously ? We won. Who cares who it was against. We lost last year, and everyone (including most on here) thought we would lose again this year. We didnt ! Time to celebrate, and stop moaning.

:drum::scarf::drum::scarf::drum::scarf::drum::scar f:

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Vancouver and Montreal...who are ya!!! USL teams thats who!! TFC TFC TFC

FluSH
06-19-2009, 08:01 AM

You have no idea what your talking about... manure is coming out of your mouth right now... in bag fulls.

If you read the previous threads YESTERDAY.... We had nothing to lose... There was no pressure... we weren't expecting a win... it's not that we didn't have hope for them to win... but we didn't expect it or demand it... I called out for heads to roll at TFC FO after the Vancity loss... that was the turning point... we shouldn't have been in this hole in the first place... but it is what it is... Personally I didn't have plans to got o MTL from the very get go... but after the loss to Vancity I was looking for tickets and a way there because I still had hope (and I stated this numerous times on here) was that loss an eye opener? Was our protest the warning bells? certainly so... now go back to Big Soccer before more manure comes out of you... This thing ain't for you...

mclaren
06-19-2009, 08:18 AM
Folks - let's be magnanimous in victory. I do understand Vancouver fans being pissed off with a number of things, not least that Montreal played a weakened team, and that the head to head results were not the deciding factor. I too would be pissed off if I was in their shoes. Let's enjoy victory, but no need to lower ourselves, especially in victory.

Hitcho
06-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Wring that champagne out of your jerseys, and return the bottles, you dumb bastards.

Ha ha ha! Fucking brilliant dude! :D:D:D

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Folks - let's be magnanimous in victory. I do understand Vancouver fans being pissed off with a number of things, not least that Montreal played a weakened team, and that the head to head results were not the deciding factor. I too would be pissed off if I was in their shoes. Let's enjoy victory, but no need to lower ourselves, especially in victory.

agreed..they must be gutted!.... Let's enjoy victory!

Blazer
06-19-2009, 08:23 AM
http://www.sallyminker.com/art/2-d/images/grapes-print.jpg

gtaguy
06-19-2009, 08:29 AM
In your face .. BOB LENARDOUCHBAG

Blazer
06-19-2009, 08:33 AM
agreed..they must be gutted!.... Let's enjoy victory!

It’s the players’ jobs to be magnanimous in victory not us, sorry. Supporters own the right to whatever reaction they want. After all, it’s the players that won the cup not us, therefore they should be humble in victory the same way they would expect their opponents to be had they lost themselves. To each his own – varying degrees of reaction only speaks volumes to the TFC craze in this city.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2009, 08:38 AM
:flare:Montreal Meltdown or Montreal Miracle...like the latter:scarf:

TFC_Chris
06-19-2009, 08:39 AM

I can't really understand why this is such an issue for some people (not saying that it is for you mclaren) but in most competitions in the world, the GD against all teams is used. Even now with the Confederations Cup they use GD against the entire group, because the competition is about how you do against all the teams.

Just look at the Euros last year when they had head-to-head as a tiebreaker. Most of the 1st placed teams qualified after only two games and rested their stars for the third game. That was ridiculous.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-19-2009, 08:40 AM
:flare:Montreal Meltdown or Montreal Miracle...like the latter:scarf:

Montreal Miracle !!!

if the game ment something to montreal,,,,then it would be the Montreal Meltdown :) its more fitting for there loss last year in the CL! ;)

VPjr
06-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Congrats to the travelling supporters who made the trip. I thought you were all nuts.

I feel for the Vancouver players. It must suck to watch another team have control of your destiny and then see that they aren't willing or able to field their best team. At least, last year, when TFC got knocked out, they controlled their own destiny.

Good for TFC...big win, very unexpected. Hopefully the team takes the CCL seriously and brings in the necessary reinforcements needed to be able to succeed.

I'm not going to lie and pretend I'm happy about this because nothing bugs me more than Mo Johnston celebrating anything but the leaders of the team really showed me something last night. I don't know why DeRo doesn't consistently play with the same intensity as he did last night but it goes to show that when he's highly motivated, he is a very good player. Guevara's passion also impressed and that goal on the free kick (although poorly defended) was a thing of beauty.

Let's see what happens against PR Islanders. That is a strong squad, definitely a team with MLS level talent.

One suggestion: don't read too much into the result last night. Running up a 6-1 thrashing on an unmotivated, undermanned opponent is not a sign a that this team's problems are all solved. However, I have to believe this result will do wonders for the team's confidence. The high they will get from this result might help them as they head out on the road for the bulk of the summer.

Beach_Red
06-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Enormous Coastal Pussies. I think we have to add them to the Columbus Few as official asswipe rivals. No grace at all; last year, when we lost, we blamed ourselves. This year, we walk over Montreal (and I'm watching the game again right now in French, and they were trying, regardless of what Vancouverites thinl) and all we hear is crying.

You're right, we always blame ourselves. Well, we always blame Mo and Velez, anyway ;).

But in the first half last night Montreal was in the game. And in the second I'm sure they expected a 3-1 finish.

But would anyone have stopped Guevara's free kick? A thing of beauty.

Beach_Red
06-19-2009, 08:46 AM
One suggestion: don't read too much into the result last night. Running up a 6-1 thrashing on an unmotivated, undermanned opponent is not a sign a that this team's problems are all solved.

Gee thanks, man, we never would have thought of that :rolleyes:.

Blazer
06-19-2009, 08:48 AM
^ Many people think that BR. Many. Unfortunately.

Lucky Strike
06-19-2009, 09:39 AM
I confess to getting caught up in the euphoria, when I thought I wouldn't :p

I think, though, that there is one argument Vancouver could make (which I haven't seen anywhere, maybe they're too thick to make it?) which is that the tiebreak procedure was wrong and unfair, and should be changed for next year.

Many other tournaments of similar formats use head to head results, and head to head goal differential, as the first and second tiebreak, just to avoid the scenario that occurred last night.

But it was what it was.....holy smokes, I still can't believe that.

Really? That's all I've seen from them, complaining like they were robbed or something. It's fine as is, it happened to us last year (Montreal won the cup but never beat us) and we got over it.

Shaughno
06-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Who cares what the Shitecaps and their fans think. Did they host a cup of any sorts last night? Well, probably to drown their sorrows.

ensco
06-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Just look at the Euros last year when they had head-to-head as a tiebreaker. Most of the 1st placed teams qualified after only two games and rested their stars for the third game. That was ridiculous.

Lucky Strike, I only looked here and at the Ives column. Montreal finished with more points than us last year, so it never came down to a tiebreak....

Re the quote above, not sure "ridiculous" is right. No system will be perfect. World Cup and Euros long ago did away with the tiebreak procedure we had last night.

When ticket sales are the first objective, you see total goals used as the tiebreaker (Because otherwise, final games are often meaningless, as last nights would have been in a Euro or WC type format).

When integrity of the competition as it relates to determining winners is the first criteria, you see head to head come first.

I'll stop - today isn't the day for this debate! Save it for a slow day in the offseason.

Lucky Strike
06-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Who cares what the Shitecaps and their fans think. Did they host a cup of any sorts last night? Well, probably to drown their sorrows.

Lol, don't get me wrong, I'm with you on this one. We all played by the same rules and TFC came out on top. I never heard any complaints about GD being the deciding factor before the match when TFC needed to win by 4.

Parkdale
06-19-2009, 09:45 AM
say what they want..... montreal didn't roll over. They just had to face the finest TFC performance ever.

Shaughno
06-19-2009, 09:46 AM
say what they want..... montreal didn't roll over. They just had to face the finest TFC performance ever.

And from what I saw, Montreal never 'rolled over'. Quite the opposite, even down 5-1 and 6-1 they were still trying to create chances, with Frei closing up shop.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Not sure "ridiculous" is right. No system will be perfect. World Cup and Euros long ago did away with the tiebreak procedure we had last night.

When ticket sales are the first objective, you see total goals used as the tiebreaker (Because otherwise, final games are often meaningless, as last nights would have been in a Euro or WC type format).

When integrity of the competition as it relates to determining winners is the first criteria, you see head to head come first.

I'll stop - today isn't the day for this debate! Save it for a slow day in the offseason.
Huh? The World Cup still uses goal differential, unless they quietly changed it behind the scenes very recently. It goes points, then goal differential, then other criteria that I don't know and don't care all that much about.

ensco
06-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Huh? The World Cup still uses goal differential, unless they quietly changed it behind the scenes very recently. It goes points, then goal differential, then other criteria that I don't know and don't care all that much about.

I believe if two teams are in a two way tie in WCQ, first tiebreak is head to head, second tiebreak is goal differential head to head

http://www.worldcupblog.org/world-cup-2006/world-cup-group-play-tie-breaking-rules.html

Lot of different ways of doing this, it appears....

http://www.theoffside.com/world-football/tie-breakers-for-football-teams-level-on-points.html

v00d00daddy
06-19-2009, 09:50 AM
You have no idea what your talking about... manure is coming out of your mouth right now... in bag fulls.

If you read the previous threads YESTERDAY.... We had nothing to lose... There was no pressure... we weren't expecting a win... it's not that we didn't have hope for them to win... but we didn't expect it or demand it... I called out for heads to roll at TFC FO after the Vancity loss... that was the turning point... we shouldn't have been in this hole in the first place... but it is what it is... Personally I didn't have plans to got o MTL from the very get go... but after the loss to Vancity I was looking for tickets and a way there because I still had hope (and I stated this numerous times on here) was that loss an eye opener? Was our protest the warning bells? certainly so... now go back to Big Soccer before more manure comes out of you... This thing ain't for you...

What a joke. Yeah....the protest was the warning bells.:rolleyes: Please listen to the poster below.

Perfectly said. There are way too many people here acting like 10 year olds. What's the saying "Act like you've been here before".

trane
06-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Montreal did the right thing, why would they start their top players when they are playing a tought strech, and they are already out of the tournament? Vancouver expects Montreal to sacrifice its rosters for the sake of Vancoucer. Why would they?

__wowza
06-19-2009, 09:52 AM
see, they can't make a claim like that. they could've beaten us by a HUGE goal differential. also, didn't we claim some sort of victory over them too? no excuses.

I_AM_CANADIAN
I believe if two teams are in a two way tie in WC, first tiebreak is head to head, second tiebreak is goal differential head to head
The ranking of each team in each group will be determined as follows:

a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;
b) goal difference in all group matches;
c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.
If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings will be determined as follows:
d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;
f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;
g) drawing of lots by the Organising Committee for the FIFA World Cup.

^from FIFA.com

Not trying to be a dick here or anything, but I'm 100% positive goal differential is the primary tiebreaker, and it's used in each of the top four European leagues as well.

v00d00daddy

This is the finest TFC result ever but not even close to the finest performance.

Frei still had to save our ass several times. Brennan still looked lost lost with the ball at his feet. Velez still looked lost from the moment he came on. Dichio uncharacteristically missed several chances.

If it wasn't for Guevara and DeRo each playing the best games even in a TFC kit, we would have been screwed.

A little perspective.

And Montreal didn't roll over but they definitely didn't look interested.

I_AM_CANADIAN
06-19-2009, 09:56 AM
This is the finest TFC result ever but not even close to the finest performance.

Frei still had to save our ass several times. Brennan still looked lost lost with the ball at his feet. Velez still looked lost from the moment he came on. Dichio uncharacteristically missed several chances.

If it wasn't for Guevara and DeRo each playing the best games even in a TFC kit, we would have been screwed.

A little perspective.

Again.... We know this.

Kevvv
06-19-2009, 09:58 AM
And from what I saw, Montreal never 'rolled over'. Quite the opposite, even down 5-1 and 6-1 they were still trying to create chances, with Frei closing up shop.

For 82 minutes, Mtl did what they had to do - not lose by 4. Even at the 90 they were a shot away from being spoilers. From Vancouver's perspective, they were never out of it until added time.

jloome
06-19-2009, 09:59 AM
What a joke. Yeah....the protest was the warning bells.:rolleyes: Please listen to the poster below.

Perfectly said. There are way too many people here acting like 10 year olds. What's the saying "Act like you've been here before".

Get of the high horse, ya wet blanket. We HAVEN'T been here before. Perhaps after one, you start acting like you've been there before. But I can't recall a team winning a cup anywhere, ever, where they just acted "like they'd been there before."

That lack of passion would somewhat curtail the chances of actually winning.

InTheCrowd
06-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Montreal didn't rest their players though. So many of them were out due to injury, international duty and family commitment (ok that was just Sebrango). Still, it's not like Montreal had much of a say with these guys.

v00d00daddy
06-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Get of the high horse, ya wet blanket. We HAVEN'T been here before. Perhaps after one, you start acting like you've been there before. But I can't recall a team winning a cup anywhere, ever, where they just acted "like they'd been there before."

That lack of passion would somewhat curtail the chances of actually winning.

I'm noy trying to be a wet blanket. I'm just saying that there is a difference between being ecstatic over the win and being childish.

You didn't see the TFC players gloating and acting like kids....which is what a lot of posters are doing. Can't we enjoy the win without calling out every team we played and their supporters? What's worse is that some posters have chosen to take it a step further and seem to enjoy shitting on other TFC supporters. I just don't get it.

Toronto Ruffrider
06-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Not trying to be a dick here or anything, but I'm 100% positive goal differential is the primary tiebreaker, and it's used in each of the top four European leagues as well.

You are correct. In WCQ, overall results are always used ahead of head-to-head results when teams are tied. Similarly, deadlocked teams in the EPL are ranked based on goal differential or total goals before head-to-head results enter the picture. I'm not saying one tiebreaking procedure is better than the other, but overall stats tend to be favoured.

awesometown
06-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Congrats to TFC, they got the job done. Gotta give props to UM02, how they stayed through that shit is beyond me. Absolutely gutted as a Whitecaps fan, but goodluck to TFC in the champs league, I hope they represent Canada well.

Picture this... first day back to University and I walk in to class wearing FULL TFC gear, maybe even chanting. The expression on the "WhitecRap supporters" faces will be priceless... almost as priceless as when I walked into class wearing full Rider gear and laughed at all the Lions fans 2 years ago.

I get the feeling that if you lived in Toronto you would be a Montreal or Columbus fan.

BFin
06-19-2009, 11:41 AM
honestly? some of you think if Mtl had Braz in lineup it would have made a difference in the score?

lulz
-yohan

rocker
06-19-2009, 11:42 AM
honestly? some of you think if Mtl had Braz in lineup it would have made a difference in the score?

lulz
-yohan

woulda been 8-1 tfc

JonO
06-19-2009, 11:45 AM
I don't think anyone on Montreal thought that they would lose by 4+ goals. Did you see everyone on Montreal perk up at 3-1. They didn't want to lose this...

JonO
06-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Also - though Whitecaps fans can be pissed at Montreal for whatever they want, the players/coach should be more professional and realize that unless you win all your games in a tournament like this one, you can't complain about anyone else.

rocker
06-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Montreal lost all their games. If they had won some and then collapsed it would have been fishy. But they lost all their games. They scored 1 goal in those 4 games. They were pathetic from the start to the end of the tournament.

ExiledRed
06-19-2009, 12:31 PM
I believe if two teams are in a two way tie in WCQ, first tiebreak is head to head, second tiebreak is goal differential head to head

http://www.worldcupblog.org/world-cup-2006/world-cup-group-play-tie-breaking-rules.html

Lot of different ways of doing this, it appears....

http://www.theoffside.com/world-football/tie-breakers-for-football-teams-level-on-points.html

Ensco, the conditions in the first link state that goal differential in all games is the first tiebreaker in the group stages of the WC.

As far as I'm concerned, overall GD is the primary decider in a group, whether that group is 3 teams or 20 teams.

This doesn't affect game integrity at all, the rules are laid out before the competition begins, and every team is aware of what they have to do.

Personally I'd go by away goals should GD be tied/

Vancouver got 2, we got 6.

TFCinVANCOUVER
06-19-2009, 12:40 PM

Me too brother, me too!!
doesn't it feel good!!:drinking:

GhostPK
06-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Congrats to TFC, they got the job done. Gotta give props to UM02, how they stayed through that shit is beyond me. Absolutely gutted as a Whitecaps fan, but goodluck to TFC in the champs league, I hope they represent Canada well.

I get the feeling that if you lived in Toronto you would be a Montreal or Columbus fan.

Ouch... thats a low blow. Great fan support runs in the veins (Riders, TFC) I don't support 'Crap. End of story.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Now at the LCBO.....direct from Canada.......

Vancouver's own Whinecaps

bitter to the taste, and goes flat fast

bottled by the Lenarduzzi Whinning Co Ltd 2009:scarf:

DaBandit
06-19-2009, 03:49 PM
^ LOL

ensco
06-19-2009, 04:42 PM
whispers to himself....uh oh, what do I do now? I think I was wrong about this....aha!

CARVER WAS SECRETLY COACHING MONTREAL VIA SATELLITE PHONE

Redcoe15
06-19-2009, 08:11 PM
This is Vancouver: :sad::incazzato:

This is Toronto: :p :smilielol5::party:

And finally, this is Toronto to Vancouver: :dita:

You're welcome! ;) :D

kitchener-TFC
06-19-2009, 08:14 PM
This is Vancouver: :sad::incazzato:

This is Toronto: :p :smilielol5::party:

And finally, this is Toronto to Vancouver: :dita:

You're welcome! ;) :D

Fucking amazing! HAHA:scarf:

TFC07
06-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Looks like some Vancouver fans are going to root for Puerto Rico instead of TFC.

Link: http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19643

werewolf
06-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Looks like some Vancouver fans are going to root for Puerto Rico instead of TFC.

Considering I had Darwin Quintero as my avatar for about 2-3 months, and taped his name/number to the back of my jersey last night...I really wouldn't expect anything less from the Vancouver fans. :lol:

jazzy
06-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Exactly.....remember when we had 9 non starters vying for a playoff win we gave it our all....ya I bitched, but injuries and problems with rosters are a mainstay in all sports....Fact is we were behind 1 nil, from a %$&#*Z@ penalty kick and we refused to give up...I say ONLY because of the size of DoRoes heart...(when is going to be captain)? ..even Barrett scored..(ha
) (missed the clear net again though) anyhow a badly needed moral booster...for me too.

36%

Nice try, though.

We beat them. They fielded the best team they could under the circumstances. That's the way this sport works. We've had as many as nine regulars out (81% of our starters, incase you were wondering) and had to play competitive games with little to no excuses or sympathy.

Redcoe15
06-19-2009, 08:51 PM

Let the wankers. Both USL-1 supporters groups can get together for a nice circle jerk while they're watching TFC kick PR around the pitch! :D

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2009, 08:52 PM

thats more then fine...if the Caps had won i know for sure i would have supported Puerto Rico insted of Vancouver...Lenarduzzi according to the national post is going to talk to the CSA about the result?? take the high
road BOB for once in your life..you didnt deserve to win!!

werewolf
06-19-2009, 08:56 PM
I wonder what Vancouver thinks of the hometown officiating again? :lol:

We better make a good run in the Champions League, I bet we get FIFA'ed out of a spot next year.

Lucky Strike
06-19-2009, 09:20 PM

If TFC was in the reverse position, I wouldn't be cheering for the team that moved on. It's funny that in Canada, some people expect supporters to cheer for their rivals once their own team is out. It's like Liverpool supporters pulling for Manchester United in the Champions League when their own team has been eliminated, by United themselves no less! That'd be considered pure insanity. No wonder Canadians are considered the most polite people ever! :D

Roogsy
06-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Those Vancouver fans whining are ridiculous.

Vancouver laid down for Montreal last year and cost us the cup.

This year, Montreal crapped the bed. And now they are raising holy hell because it happened to them.

Shut up already.

FluSH
06-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Who will be watching the Vancouver vs MTL match? haha I'm sure it will be dirty...

Lucky Strike
06-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Who will be watching the Vancouver vs MTL match? haha I'm sure it will be dirty...

I will for sure. I'm looking forward to it and even PVR'ing it in case something epic happens.

Beach_Red
06-19-2009, 10:24 PM
If TFC was in the reverse position, I wouldn't be cheering for the team that moved on. It's funny that in Canada, some people expect supporters to cheer for their rivals once their own team is out. It's like Liverpool supporters pulling for Manchester United in the Champions League when their own team has been eliminated, by United themselves no less! That'd be considered pure insanity. No wonder Canadians are considered the most polite people ever! :D

But you know where this comes from right? It's us uniting against the USA. It was a hockey thing, as Canadian teams got eliminated from the playoffs we'd prefer any other Canadian team winning instead of an American team. But it's not really true anymore, is it? I doubt many Oilers fans would cheer for the Flames no matter who they were playing, or many Leafs fans would cheer for the Sens.

I guess you can call that progress....

jabbronies
06-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Any word on what evil Bert has to say about the outcome??

Kaz
06-20-2009, 11:55 AM
you know, last year when Toronto lost embarrassingly in the VC and Montreal won, I still watched every Montreal CCL match. Not because I supported Montreal but because I supported the Canadian club in the CCL and wanted to watch a Canadian club go as far as possible. Had I had the time I would have been in Montreal to watch the Santos Game.

VC and CCL are seperate competitions, and with the limited state of Canadian Soccer, we should, and the should be supporting the Canadian representive no matter who that is... it's just pride in your country as far as I'm concerned.

If TFC and Vancouver were both in the CCL and TFC was eliminated then I wouldn't expect everyone to switch over and start cheering for Vancouver... but when there is only one Canadian team in the competition, I'd hope for some national pride.

But I suppose it's the whole hate Toronto mentality that people have, never understood it, maybe it's because I've lived in Toronto, Winnipeg, Niagara and nearly a dozen small ontario towns. But Toronto is no better then Vancouver, Montreal, Winnipeg or Edmonton, and it's no worse either....

Support your nations representive...no matter who it is.

rocker
06-20-2009, 12:00 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/PhJD/shitecaps.jpg

TFC07
06-20-2009, 12:14 PM
you know, last year when Toronto lost embarrassingly in the VC and Montreal won, I still watched every Montreal CCL match. Not because I supported Montreal but because I supported the Canadian club in the CCL and wanted to watch a Canadian club go as far as possible. Had I had the time I would have been in Montreal to watch the Santos Game.

VC and CCL are seperate competitions, and with the limited state of Canadian Soccer, we should, and the should be supporting the Canadian representive no matter who that is... it's just pride in your country as far as I'm concerned.

If TFC and Vancouver were both in the CCL and TFC was eliminated then I wouldn't expect everyone to switch over and start cheering for Vancouver... but when there is only one Canadian team in the competition, I'd hope for some national pride.

But I suppose it's the whole hate Toronto mentality that people have, never understood it, maybe it's because I've lived in Toronto, Winnipeg, Niagara and nearly a dozen small ontario towns. But Toronto is no better then Vancouver, Montreal, Winnipeg or Edmonton, and it's no worse either....

Support your nations representive...no matter who it is.

Well said, but sadly, TFC isn't going to get much support from Impact and Whitecap fans because we are plastic and not real fans like them. :rolleyes:

BoltonTFC
06-20-2009, 12:23 PM
This board would have exploded if Vancouver had beaten Montreal 6-1 to knock TFC out of the cup. Montreal had injuries but they also had guys available that they didn't play. Vancouver has every right to feel pissed off. Anyone that says they wouldn't be pissed if the roles were reversed is a liar.

rocker
06-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Vancouver has every right to feel pissed off. Anyone that says they wouldn't be pissed if the roles were reversed is a liar.

what, should I empathize? ;)

If we had buried our chances at BMO, Vancouver wouldn't even have had a chance. If they'd scored more goals when they should have, they could have taken the championship by the throat. If Montreal didn't role over and die for the Whitecaps they wouldn't have been still alive as of Thursday night.

Lesson learned by the Whitecaps: Don't let other teams do your business for you.

Kaz
06-20-2009, 01:32 PM
This board would have exploded if Vancouver had beaten Montreal 6-1 to knock TFC out of the cup. Montreal had injuries but they also had guys available that they didn't play. Vancouver has every right to feel pissed off. Anyone that says they wouldn't be pissed if the roles were reversed is a liar.
You are right but I'd still be watching Vancouver in the CCL and hope they could go as far as possible. I wouldn't expect MLSE to have a chat with the CSA over the result. As has been said by people in the Vancouver organization

billyfly
06-20-2009, 03:29 PM
I couldn't give a rat's ass over what Vancouver feels like.

greatwhitenorf
06-20-2009, 03:45 PM
And now there's no justifying their whining since Montreal proved their point today by winning 2-1 over Vancouver.

Cheered for Montreal, by the way, in that one. Decent game but some comically inept moments. Typical USL.

Brooker
06-20-2009, 03:54 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/PhJD/shitecaps.jpg

LMAO

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Whitecaps fans waiting for their team to return from Montreal empty handed....see below~~

prizby
06-20-2009, 04:22 PM
im really happy with the result, but lets be honest, vancouver has every right to feel hard done by

K1nG
06-20-2009, 04:24 PM
I will admit that we played an unmotivated Montreal who fielded a weak line up. That said however, our team did play very well with the exeption of Barrett who was lucky that the ball bounced off of his head because I did not see much forward motion. Vancouver Southsiders can suck it as far as I am concerned for prematurely singing Campionii Ole after the TFC defeat.

Yohan
06-20-2009, 06:01 PM
I will admit that we played an unmotivated Montreal who fielded a weak line up. That said however, our team did play very well with the exeption of Barrett who was lucky that the ball bounced off of his head because I did not see much forward motion. Vancouver Southsiders can suck it as far as I am concerned for prematurely singing Campionii Ole after the TFC defeat.
i guess you missed Barrett assisting on two goals either

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-20-2009, 06:41 PM
another dig at TFC by the whitecaps supporters?? wow if only their team was as creative....

Mikey
06-20-2009, 06:43 PM
im really happy with the result, but lets be honest, vancouver has every right to feel hard done by

Maybe, but to be honest I couldn't give a shit.

Fuck 'em, and Montreal too.

All their wailing and crying is just Gravy....if only I had a TFC gravy boat to put it in!!

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-20-2009, 06:48 PM
i guess you missed Barrett assisting on two goals either

Barrett did well lets hope that game gets him out of his slump...and bag a brace against NY

Kaz
06-20-2009, 06:58 PM
another dig at TFC by the whitecaps supporters?? wow if only their team was as creative....
didn't the boys win on the second Tie Breaking Criteria?
I mean we had more goals, and a larger goal differential in all games

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-20-2009, 07:02 PM
didn't the boys win on the second Tie Breaking Criteria?
I mean we had more goals, and a larger goal differential in all games

Goals scored should be the second tie break after goal difference...
All the Caps supporters are just looking for any excuse for why
they are not Canadian champions..

tfcleeds
06-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Just got back from Montreal, first opportunity to read the boards since our win. Everybody associated with the Whitecaps can kiss my ass. What a pathetic bunch of sore losers. I don't care who was playing for Montreal, fact is, they weren't fielding a bunch of scrubs against us. Plenty of first team players in their lineup, players with MLS experience, etc.

We went into hostile territory (well, not really, Impact attendance was truly sad - I thought it felt like a home game for us to be honest) needing to win by a four goal margin, something we had only done once before in our history. Montreal scored first, meaning we now needed 5. And we ended up scoring 6. I don't care who it was against, to win the NCC was always going to be an uphill battle. But we did it. And it was a glorious victory.

Sorry Vancouver, there's always next year...but too bad for you, TFC will be the first repeat champs of the NCC!

Hooligan69
06-20-2009, 07:31 PM

LMAO The photoshopped graphic is hilarious in its lameness.

Kaz
06-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Goals scored should be the second tie break after goal difference...
All the Caps supporters are just looking for any excuse for why
they are not Canadian champions..

I know that, didn't put them in any order.
but the "banner" said fourth, both would be higher then fourth.

also on a side note, if the think that Montreal putting in a second string keeper, was such a bad thing.. then their two goals against us didn't mean much as greg sutton was under played and not at full match fitness. and the team was playing it's 8th game for the month, something that is tough with the limited depth of the MLS roster. We aren't Man U with 40 players to switch in and out to allow for 2 games a week over a month. So to be perfectly frank. If montreal playing 7 regular starters this season, and a keeper that has played in the MLS, couldn't hold off TFC, with 4 defenders and 4 midfielders, then that is just too bad for vancouver.

Shway
06-20-2009, 08:24 PM

yea by meaning they shouldnt have felt safe,
this exact thing happened to my team when we were in europe

sampace
06-20-2009, 09:00 PM
1) Montreal did not throw the game, there is no conspiracy. 2) If we are going to be paranoid we could say the same thing about Montreal beating Vancouver both times last year, and Vancouver beating Montreal both times. Hmm...is that a kind turn of favours between USL teams? I don't think so. Montreal's team has had their confidence shot since the stumble against Panchuca.

werewolf
06-20-2009, 09:02 PM
1) Montreal did not throw the game, there is no conspiracy. 2) If we are going to be paranoid we could say the same thing about Montreal beating Vancouver both times last year, and Vancouver beating Montreal both times. Hmm...is that a kind turn of favours between USL teams? I don't think so. Montreal's team has had their confidence shot since the stumble against Panchuca.

That is Santos, mister!

Shakes McQueen
06-20-2009, 09:52 PM

They got beaten by that same Montreal Impact side this afternoon. They have nothing to feel injustice about.

- Scott

tfcleeds
06-20-2009, 11:30 PM
It's amazing how many Whitecraps fans actually seem to believe that the fix was in on Thursday night. Although there were a few changes in the lineup, most of the players had been in the TFC match. I suspect this result should shut these Vancouver whiners up.

Redpunkfiddle
06-21-2009, 12:39 AM
That the Impact rested a handful of starters in the 6-1 loss left Whitecaps head coach Teitur Thordarson in a rancorous mood.

“The way they approached this match is a problem,” he said. “My opinion is you approach basically all games in a professional way. I do that every game because I feel it’s important for me and my team.

Firstly, this is bullshit. Vancouver and Toronto had three points each going into that game, Montreal six, and they were perfectly welcome to beat us by a bagfull of goals and hope that we'd beat Montreal with numbers that would let them come through on tiebreakers. They simply didn't care enough at that point to put out the effort. Why would they? Miracles never happen.....

Secondly, no team, no professional level team, should have a roster, including backups and a couple from reserve squad that gets beaten by 4 (never mind the 5 we actually got) and is scored on 6 times . It was entirely reasonable to expect that result would be avoided, even with a loss. No professional would ever be 'disinterested' enough to be part of such a debacle. Montreal failed to play up to the task that was given to them because of how they played.

Thirdly, I personally thanked Martin Nash for making enough space for my flight down to Puerto Rico at Saputo Stadium earlier today during the game.

I only wish Charles and Gbeke had been available.

Lucky Strike
06-21-2009, 08:29 AM

Firstly, this is bullshit. Vancouver and Toronto had three points each going into that game, Montreal six, and they were perfectly welcome to beat us by a bagfull of goals and hope that we'd beat Montreal with numbers that would let them come through on tiebreakers. They simply didn't care enough at that point to put out the effort. Why would they? Miracles never happen.....

Secondly, no team, no professional level team, should have a roster, including backups and a couple from reserve squad that gets beaten by 4 (never mind the 5 we actually got) and is scored on 6 times . It was entirely reasonable to expect that result would be avoided, even with a loss. No professional would ever be 'disinterested' enough to be part of such a debacle. Montreal failed to play up to the task that was given to them because of how they played.

Thirdly, I personally thanked Martin Nash for making enough space for my flight down to Puerto Rico at Saputo Stadium earlier today during the game.

I only wish Charles and Gbeke had been available.

That and it wasn't the same situation - we weren't as desperate then. All we had to do was not lose to get a shot at Montreal. We didn't have to win by 4 or anything like that.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-21-2009, 08:47 AM
LMAO The photoshopped graphic is hilarious in its lameness.

the Caps fans were silent yesterday though after the Loss to the Impact..

silence is golden!!