PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Tuesday , Jun.03

denime
06-03-2008, 06:04 AM
Good morning !

No TFC related news today,if you find some feel free to post.
All I found were two new blogs,but they are posted separately in News forum.

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html)

BronteDave
06-03-2008, 07:11 AM
In William Houston's column in the Globe:

CBC's Soccer Day in Canada on Saturday, noon to 3:30 p.m. EDT, was watched by a disappointing total of 47,000 viewers, down 58 per cent from 2007, when the event aired during the FIFA U-20 World Cup. Los Angeles Galaxy-Toronto FC at 3:30 p.m. drew 116,000.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080602.truth03/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

Oldtimer
06-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Sunday, June 8
Toronto FC at Houston Dynamo, 8:30 p.m. (DK, MLSLIVE.tv)
* Although undefeated at home (4-0-2), Toronto FC has struggled on the road (1-3-0) thus far. * The teams have faced each only twice before with Houston holding the advantage with one win and one tie. * While they have one of the best hold field advantages in the League, Toronto FC will face another team with an incredible home field advantage. In 35 home games, they've lost only six times (18-6-11).
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3652029

The MLS All-Star First XI will be announced on Thursday, July 10 and the All-Star Reserves and Commissioner's Selections will be announced on Tuesday, July 15.

Top 10 Vote Getters as of June 2 (Ranked by percentage of total votes received)
1. David Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy) - 5.00%
2. Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy) - 3.72%
3. Cuauhtemoc Blanco (Chicago Fire) - 3.40%
4. Amado Guevara (Toronto FC) - 2.13%
5. Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew) - 2.04%
6. Guillermo Barros Schelotto (Columbus Crew) - 2.00%
7. Dwayne De Rosario (Houston Dynamo) - 1.98%
8. Greg Sutton (Toronto FC) - 1.80%
9. Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew) - 1.69%
10. Maurice Edu (Toronto FC) - 1.66%

rocker
06-03-2008, 08:06 AM
they got that report wrong.

"The teams have faced each only twice before with Houston holding the advantage with one win and one tie. "

Toronto holds the advantage, with a win at home and a tie in Houston!

Billy the kid
06-03-2008, 08:35 AM
I like Edu, but I'm a little surprised he is 10th overall vote getter at this point.

Roogsy
06-03-2008, 08:37 AM
I agree...I think he is benifitting from the positive reviews of last year.

SilverSamurai
06-03-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm more surprised the Crew have 3 players for the All Star lineup?!

Mark in Ottawa
06-03-2008, 09:04 AM
CBC's Soccer Day in Canada on Saturday, noon to 3:30 p.m. EDT, was watched by a disappointing total of 47,000 viewers
Are you surprised? I managed to watch about 30 minutes of it before it started turning my stomach and switched channels.
If I wanted to watch a kids soccer game I would just head down to the local park. CBC staff with little soccer knowledge calling kids soccer games with injured kids as colour commentators... pathetic.
Colleen Jones doing some sort of chanelling of Michael Jackson... wierd and creepy.

The CBC couldn't even get their tape stories cued up correctly... "and now all about the Impact in Montreal" followed by the story on the Vancouver Whitecaps.

How about some info on how Canadian kids are trying to make it to the bigs with the little to no support they get from the CSA! How about the fact that many Canadian youngsters are getting scholarships to American Universities or overseas soccer academies. I'll bet those issues weren't covered.

Did anyone interview anyone from the CSA? Did they ask them how they were going to improve their bad image domestically and abroad? Did they ask them what they were going to do to try and get a truly national sponsor to assist with our national teams?

Tim Hortons is doing a fine job with the Tim-Bit program. Soccer for fun is truly the name of the game but after the age of 12-13 the participation level starts to drop off. How are we going to keep our players interested and involved in the beautiful game?

Pigfynn
06-03-2008, 09:23 AM
CBC's Soccer Day in Canada on Saturday, noon to 3:30 p.m. EDT, was watched by a disappointing total of 47,000 viewers
Are you surprised? I managed to watch about 30 minutes of it before it started turning my stomach and switched channels.
If I wanted to watch a kids soccer game I would just head down to the local park. CBC staff with little soccer knowledge calling kids soccer games with injured kids as colour commentators... pathetic.
Colleen Jones doing some sort of chanelling of Michael Jackson... wierd and creepy.

The CBC couldn't even get their tape stories cued up correctly... "and now all about the Impact in Montreal" followed by the story on the Vancouver Whitecaps.

How about some info on how Canadian kids are trying to make it to the bigs with the little to no support they get from the CSA! How about the fact that many Canadian youngsters are getting scholarships to American Universities or overseas soccer academies. I'll bet those issues weren't covered.

Did anyone interview anyone from the CSA? Did they ask them how they were going to improve their bad image domestically and abroad? Did they ask them what they were going to do to try and get a truly national sponsor to assist with our national teams?

Tim Hortons is doing a fine job with the Tim-Bit program. Soccer for fun is truly the name of the game but after the age of 12-13 the participation level starts to drop off. How are we going to keep our players interested and involved in the beautiful game?

They were covered, when they spoke with a bunch of the girls teams from the GTA. They said 9 of 11 starters won scholarships in the states.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-03-2008, 09:31 AM
I like Edu, but I'm a little surprised he is 10th overall vote getter at this point.

I dunno, i really dont think hes playing as poorly as people think.
Also i think hes a Team USA fan favorite.

flatpicker
06-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Canada needs to start awarding sports scholarships!
At least the last time I checked we don't.
We gotta stay competitive! It's good for the nations moral!

Flipityflu
06-03-2008, 09:40 AM

with the surprise start they have had, i'm not. unless of course you are surprised that the crew have enough fans to make a difference in a popularity vote...

Oldtimer
06-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Canada needs to start awarding sports scholarships!
At least the last time I checked we don't.
We gotta stay competitive! It's good for the nations moral!

The problem is that Canadian Universities play in the CIS instead of the NCAA. The CIS gives only partial scholarships, the NCAA full ones.

However, under a pilot project, up to 3 non-American institutions will be allowed to join the NCAA. University of British Columbia and Simon Fraser University are interested. There is a HUGE cost to joining, but NCAA is quite lucrative.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/01/16/bc-canadianschoolsncaa.html

http://www.themanitoban.com/2006-2007/0221/150.The.NCAA.in.Canada.php

Razcle
06-03-2008, 10:36 AM
CBC's Soccer Day in Canada on Saturday, noon to 3:30 p.m. EDT, was watched by a disappointing total of 47,000 viewers, down 58 per cent from 2007, when the event aired during the FIFA U-20 World Cup. Los Angeles Galaxy-Toronto FC at 3:30 p.m. drew 116,000.

Indeed, I started watching the u12 girls and it was dreadful, It would be a different story if it was the u12-u14 girls national team playing against an american team in a friendly or something. And the fact they couldn't push the mens national game on CBC was crap. I understand that the game was scheduled late, however CBC should have known they would garnish more attraction to a Brazil soccer game then game 4 of the stanley cup with no canadian teams....this is all personal opinion of course.

sully
06-03-2008, 11:13 AM
I started watching the 'Soccer Day in Canada' but after a minute of watching a little girl sitting on the grass picking her nose...I had enough.

Pigfynn
06-03-2008, 11:23 AM
I think that Soccer Day in Canada is being sold a bit short here. Did any of you watch the documentary called "A kick to the head" that was on? It was good, it showed the great power of soccer in the city and the way it bonds people. I really enjoyed that bit of SDIC.

TFC07
06-03-2008, 11:32 AM
I think that Soccer Day in Canada is being sold a bit short here. Did any of you watch the documentary called "A kick to the head" that was on? It was good, it showed the great power of soccer in the city and the way it bonds people. I really enjoyed that bit of SDIC.

That documentary was an eye-opener. Hopefully next year, they do more documentaries like "A kick to the head".

Leprechaun
06-03-2008, 12:10 PM

Not suprising at all...they were tops of the league for a good while...and it will be funny to boo Scheletto at BMO again lol. What I find really suprising is Edu being 10th. I know he has the potential to be ranked that high but I just haven't seen it this year. I guess his USA success and last year's success is giving him the big edge. Wynne deserves to be up there!

Steve
06-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Not suprising at all...they were tops of the league for a good while...and it will be funny to boo Scheletto at BMO again lol. What I find really suprising is Edu being 10th. I know he has the potential to be ranked that high but I just haven't seen it this year. I guess his USA success and last year's success is giving him the big edge. Wynne deserves to be up there!

Edu should not be on the list. Period. He did well last year, and has basically sucked so far this year. I think the best thing for his is to 1) Leave him out of this game, and 2) Possibly keep him from the starting 11 in a few games (when we get better options maybe). Send him a message. You aren't as good as you think you are. Work your ass off to prove yourself, and maybe someday you will be.

I also wish he hadn't been called up for the USMNT; again, I think that just adds to his thinking he is better than he is.

VPjr
06-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Soccer Day in Canada was ok until they broadcast a kids game. There are so many other stories to tell...how about features about our best men and women. How about doing a Canadians Abroad summary for all those people who have no clue what Canadian pros are doing outside Canada.

The documentaries were quite interesting but everything else was pointless.

TFC_Toon
06-03-2008, 04:53 PM
I also wish he hadn't been called up for the USMNT; again, I think that just adds to his thinking he is better than he is.

Edu seems to be pretty grounded according to this article.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080603&content_id=162981&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280