PDA

View Full Version : Fernando Morientes Coming to North America

maninb
06-17-2009, 08:57 AM
According to his represenatives he wants to sign either with the Mexican Primera league or MLS....Now THIS is the type of guy TFC should try and sign as DP...not JDG...He's a goal machine and only 32...

Pachuco
06-17-2009, 08:58 AM
WOW Morientes would be huge.

Nuvinho
06-17-2009, 08:59 AM
^Crapids have been linked with his services.

poppamidnight
06-17-2009, 08:59 AM
What would his DP cost be estimated at peeps?

olegunnar
06-17-2009, 09:01 AM
^Crapids have been linked with his services.

So?
We should make a better offer.

All due respect to the only De Guzman...but we need a DP striker...not a DP DM.

Morientes would be Epic

I see a lot of people in the petition thread saying YES....who were saying that $350K for Robo is too much for a DM back in season 1 and 2.

maninb
06-17-2009, 09:05 AM
What would his DP cost be estimated at peeps?

I'm guessing it would be 'Blanco' kind of money...What do good strikers get in Mexico?

Shaughno
06-17-2009, 09:05 AM
I'd love to see Morientes here. Him and Gerba paired up front... *drools*

Jack
06-17-2009, 09:06 AM
In Marca (Spanish newspaper) it says he's interested in the USA, Mexico or the Middle East.

Morientes would be sweet here, but I think, like De Guz (and I started that thread for some fun!) he's more likely to sign elsewhere.

maninb
06-17-2009, 09:07 AM
In Marca (Spanish newspaper) it says he's interested in the USA, Mexico or the Middle East.

Morientes would be sweet here, but I think, like De Guz (and I started that thread for some fun!) he's more likely to sign elsewhere.

Once again our plastic pitch would be a HUGE deciding factor IMO...

Steve
06-17-2009, 09:08 AM
So?
We should make a better offer.

All due respect to the only De Guzman...but we need a DP striker...not a DP DM.

Morientes would be Epic

I see a lot of people in the petition thread saying YES....who were saying that $350K for Robo is too much for a DM back in season 1 and 2.

Gotta love the level of intellect here.

I'm not convinced. Remember, teams with DPs (which are usually goal scorers in this league) have traditionally not dominated the league. I think that is due, inherently, to the inconsistancy of goal scorers. I mean, what if your striker has a bad day? What if he gets no service? What if the other teams see your relience on one person, and mark him out of the game? I think it would be an interesting experiment to bring in a DP DM. He would have a better chance of stabilizing the team. Strengthening our defense, and linking our offense better. Being a 90 minute game changer, and not just pulling out 1 brilliant play a game. If we solidify the mid, and build from the back, we could rely on strikers of lesser quality and still get results (ok, not Barrett and Vitti quality, but Buddle quality).

And remember not everyone complained about Robbo's salary.

Jack
06-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Once again our plastic pitch would be a HUGE deciding factor IMO...
Probably. Also the lifestyle. It's no secret that Huckerby wanted the California lifestyle as much as anything for his retirement gig.

Anyway, I'd take De Guzman any day of the week as our DP. But I agree we should still be looking for another striker.

rocker
06-17-2009, 09:16 AM
well if it's a lifestyle thing I can't see him choosing Colorado over Toronto. unless he likes skiing and stadiums in the middle of nowhere called DICK'S.

Yohan
06-17-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm not convinced. Remember, teams with DPs (which are usually goal scorers in this league) have traditionally not dominated the league. I think that is due, inherently, to the inconsistancy of goal scorers. I mean, what if your striker has a bad day? What if he gets no service? What if the other teams see your relience on one person, and mark him out of the game? I think it would be an interesting experiment to bring in a DP DM. He would have a better chance of stabilizing the team. Strengthening our defense, and linking our offense better. Being a 90 minute game changer, and not just pulling out 1 brilliant play a game. If we solidify the mid, and build from the back, we could rely on strikers of lesser quality and still get results (ok, not Barrett and Vitti quality, but Buddle quality).

And remember not everyone complained about Robbo's salary.
hence why you don't put all your eggs in one basket, and you ensure that your 2nd and 3rd strikers are at least half decent and can score goals

Morientes would make an excellent replacement for Dichio

Jack
06-17-2009, 09:17 AM
well if it's a lifestyle thing I can't see him choosing Colorado over Toronto. unless he likes skiing and stadiums in the middle of nowhere called DICK'S.
Yeah, more about a "no pressure" atmosphere.

Northern Soul
06-17-2009, 09:22 AM
THAT would be awesome! Morientes!

http://javierlainez.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/morientes.jpg

Yohan
06-17-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm not liking this middle east types having interest though. They can throw a lot of cash at Morientes

Darlofletch
06-17-2009, 10:00 AM
THAT would be awesome! Morientes!

http://javierlainez.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/morientes.jpg

Not Liverpool Morientes though, that guy was crap. I'd rather have Spain Morientes or Real madrid Morientes.

Jack
06-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Not Liverpool Morientes though, that guy was crap. I'd rather have Spain Morientes or Real madrid Morientes.
Unfortunately, that player is long gone.

Shaughno
06-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Unfortunately, that player is long gone.

To be fair, the 'JP Angel' of the past was long gone when he came to the MLS, and look what he did first season. IMO Morientes is a much better, smarter and more skilled player.

FluSH
06-17-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm guessing it would be 'Blanco' kind of money...What do good strikers get in Mexico?

Fame, Women, Drugs, and Money...

BayernTFC
06-17-2009, 11:11 AM
He's a goal machine and only 32...
Yep, he's a monster. Morientes has played quite well for Valencia, especially in European competitions.

Maple Leaf Red
06-17-2009, 03:51 PM
It's also not whether TFC can make a better offer because Colorado probably has a discovery thing on him so Toronto would have to trade for that just like the McBride situation.

prizby
06-17-2009, 05:25 PM
i don't think you can have a discovery thing on an old guy

Jack
06-17-2009, 05:26 PM
i don't think you can have a discovery thing on an old guy
But you can get his rights, as we did with McBride.

Nuvinho
06-17-2009, 05:28 PM
DPs don't need a discovery claim.

McBride was a returning USMT player.

Yohan
06-17-2009, 05:40 PM
DPs don't need a discovery claim.

McBride was a returning USMT player.
using a discovery right on a foreign player means that team gets first dibs, and any other teams wanting to sign him has to trade for his rights

completely different than returning USMNT player scenario

BC101
06-17-2009, 05:48 PM
LOL I just asked El Juan whatever happened to him and he told me about this LOL... But he said he might stay @ Valencia if VIlla leaves.

Nuvinho
06-17-2009, 05:54 PM
using a discovery right on a foreign player means that team gets first dibs, and any other teams wanting to sign him has to trade for his rights

completely different than returning USMNT player scenario

I thought that if you sign a player as a DP, it overrides any discovery claim another team has?

Yohan
06-17-2009, 05:56 PM
I thought that if you sign a player as a DP, it overrides any discovery claim another team has?
i'm not sure about that actually...

crazy MLS rules

Yohan
07-25-2009, 12:16 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_Morientes

available on free transfer. however, he is now linked with Olympic Marseilles

arbogast
07-25-2009, 01:58 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_Morientes

available on free transfer. however, he is now linked with Olympic Marseilles

Yeah, according to this he wants to go to Olympique Marseille, not MLS:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_5453325,00.html

The striker's agent, Gines Carvajal, (http://topics.skysports.com/Gines+Carvajal/?section=football)http://static.lingospot.com/spot/image/spacer.gif claims Morientes is ready to reject offers from other clubs to make the move to the Stade Velodrome to link up again with Didier Deschamps (http://topics.skysports.com/Didier+Deschamps/?section=football)

Dirk Diggler
07-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Man ... just offer him DeGuzman money ... I'm sure that will make him give Toronto a second thought at the very least.

olegunnar
07-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Man ... just offer him DeGuzman money ... I'm sure that will make him give Toronto a second thought at the very least.

That's a pretty surreal concept.

Offering Morientes, JDG money. wow who would have ever thought one day we'd be saying that.

Lets offer Makelele, Patrice Bernier money. :rolleyes:

FluSH
07-25-2009, 02:49 PM
According to his represenatives he wants to sign either with the Mexican Primera league or MLS....Now THIS is the type of guy TFC should try and sign as DP...not JDG...He's a goal machine and only 32...

JD WHOOOOOOOOOOO?

bluefox21
07-26-2009, 12:54 PM
not that I want to kill your Illusions, but he has been linked to more teams in this week that the ones he played for in his life. River Plate, Monaco, Olympique, Toronto, Union Espaņola (from CHILE!!! and yes, according to the board of that club, they made an offer and "he was interested") some mexican and arab teams. I bet he ends up playing in Kashima Antlers or something like that.