PDA

View Full Version : Whiwhich toronto paper gives the best TFC coverage

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Dont really think TFC gets good coverage compared to the other TO sports teams... they all need to cover the team and MLS in general
a lot more.

egoodwin
06-02-2008, 10:01 PM
meant Globe

but eitherway Sun has a couple times had TFC on the cover of their sports section...

articles in Sun sucks though... just look at the caption on the photo from Sunday's paper... "A Toronto FC player (red) fights for position"

Derko
06-02-2008, 10:17 PM
meant Globe

but eitherway Sun has a couple times had TFC on the cover of their sports section...

articles in Sun sucks though... just look at the caption on the photo from Sunday's paper... "A Toronto FC player (red) fights for position"

Yes, I commented on the same photo caption, pretty unprofessional, It's like they didn't even read the game sheet, and of course we know TFC are red. What a fucking rag the Sun is. Stupid person's newspaper.

greatwhitenorf
06-02-2008, 10:22 PM
The Star immediately drops to the bottom of this list. Has anyone ever had a column about a sport filled with more miserable negativity and criticism than Chathleen Kelly?

It's just one long dirge. Give it up, stick to rounders, gobshite. Morgan Campbell is an OK bloggist but his daily reporting suffers from a very oblique writing style.

And we've all laughed at the lamentably weak efforts turned in by Dave Feschuk.

The Post is very uneven in its coverage. Some good reports from local games contrasted with the sensationalism of coverage from Columbus opener. Not sure why they cover soccer.

Have to give the Sun props for effort. Gearhead Dean McNulty would much rather be off covering the NASCAR Canadian Tire series, or even Saturday nights at Sunset Speedway, than soccer. But he soldiers through it and does a decent job. And who'da thunk Bill Lankhof would take to soccer? Some good articles by him also. Some new guy - Johnny Anonymous - is in as columnist, light, bright and trite. Almost. Point. Form. Journalism. Doesn't do depth or analysis.

Standing tall, above them all, the Globe and Mail's Larry Millson. Sound observations, well written reports, and the reward is getting dumped from the beat for his good work. Globe sports ed needs to give his head a shake. Listen for the wee pea rattling. Bet his dumping is the result of budget crunches putting the squeeze on a senior staffer to save on his higher salary and benefits.

Worst combination of sport/reporters has to be CFTO's punch drunk giggler Joe Tilly or bingo caller Lance Brown trying to make cutesy wisecracks about a sport they haven't got a clue about.

And the Fan's Hacksaw Mike DOHogan - 'I'se jus' a X's an' O's kinda feller' - desperately trying to avoid anything to do with soccer. Just the same way he acted when baxketball came to town and he didn't want anything to do with it - until someone told him the station was a Raptors rights holder and he had to or lose his job. Now he's a expert, eh?

Toronto_Bhoy
06-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Globe…hands down!

J .
06-02-2008, 11:00 PM
i hate the star and "fc" bullshit

crapall kelly SUCKS

bignickel
06-02-2008, 11:17 PM
the star for me, the 3 page spread of the columbus trip with the multimedia video shows they are stepping up to the plate.
morgan campbell is really getting into it without using unnecessary 'footy terms' that make it seem like he is trying to hard.
kelly needs work but it's o.k. to see two different points of view.

James Oliphant
06-03-2008, 12:16 AM
If not for Morgan Campbell, I wouldn't even have considered The Star a candidate. Morg's great...everything else about The Star's coverage is crap.

The Globe is and has been since TFC's inception the best place to get your TFC fix in print. Millson, Brunt (rarely) and Knight, and now our own Matthew Scianitti contributing pieces (if you haven't read his article where De Ro and Julian call out the CSA, do it now (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080530.SOCCERCAN30//TPStory/Sports))...they are tops if you ask me.

GuelphStorm2007
06-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Definatly the Globe

tfc_4_ever
06-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Globe for sure!

T_Mizz
06-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Hmm curious that nobody chose the Post haha

ManUtd4ever
06-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Definitely the G & M...I posted a similar thread in the old forum about the media in T.O. neglecting TFC compared to the other sports franchises in town and while there's been a slight improvement, the media coverage is not on par with the impact the Reds have had in the Toronto sporting scene. Especially the Toronto Star, TSN... get with the fucking program!

TFCtorcida
06-03-2008, 05:56 PM
globe and mail, just based on the frequency of TFC related articles.