06-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Can anyone confirm this?

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/06/report-joahann-smith-released-by.html

yellowfellow
06-16-2009, 01:14 PM
as he should be

werewolf
06-16-2009, 01:15 PM
BOOOO...it was funny when they first had a photo of Ibrahim on there.

rocker
06-16-2009, 01:15 PM
what, no more stepovers???? no more miscommunication on basic plays with Jimmy Brennan??? no????

Canary Canuck
06-16-2009, 01:16 PM
With Smith's blazing speed he really should've tried to make a career as a defender like Wynne and Attakora

Pachuco
06-16-2009, 01:17 PM
I'll be shocked if MLSRumours just broke another story. If it's true. I'm sure the FO is letting MLSRumours break stories just to laugh in our face.

InTheCrowd
06-16-2009, 01:19 PM
If this is true I'll be pissed. If we gave him more opportunities to impress I'm sure he would've. Anyway what exactly would we be gaining from this?

Nodoubtguy
06-16-2009, 01:20 PM
If this is true I'll be pissed. If we gave him more opportunities to impress I'm sure he would've. Anyway what exactly would we be gaining from this?

some cap space

Pachuco
06-16-2009, 01:20 PM

You'll be pissed without even knowing what happens next? if we released Smith in order to make room for a starter, you'd be pissed? The guy has played like a total of 12 mins this year.

InTheCrowd
06-16-2009, 01:21 PM
some cap space

Like 50 000 right? That's not much, for that kind of salary there aren't many better reserves. Anyway I guess we are gaining an international roster spot as well. I'm still against this.

Phil
06-16-2009, 01:21 PM
some cap space

And a senior spot...not sure if we needed it though.

InTheCrowd
06-16-2009, 01:22 PM
You'll be pissed without even knowing what happens next? if we released Smith in order to make room for a starter, you'd be pissed? The guy has played like a total of 12 mins this year.

I doubt Smith's small salary would make that much of a difference. 12 minutes? That's why I'm saying we should've given him more opportunities to prove himself.

Nodoubtguy
06-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Like 50 000 right? That's not much, for that kind of salary there aren't many better reserves. Anyway I guess we are gaining an international roster spot as well. I'm still against this.

what if RR is gone too and we need them both gone to sign Gerba....still pissed?? Look, Smith was a fun guy....but not enough playing time and 50k for a team with a cap is not nothing.

Nuvinho
06-16-2009, 01:23 PM
now we have 2 senior spots.

No more stepovers...or running with his back to the ball.

rocker
06-16-2009, 01:25 PM
i'm not sure smith would have proven anything if given more time. i saw enough last season to know what he's all about.
i don't think he's a prospect. he's got great speed and a couple of moves, but his footy IQ is weak. and as we've seen with Marvell, the athleticism can only take you so far.
it's not like he's gonna come back to haunt us.

zeelaw
06-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Gerba

TorontoBlades
06-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Johann was a clown

Nuvinho
06-16-2009, 01:29 PM
First we had too many Smith's, now we may have none........Jamie Smith??? Where are you???

Pachuco
06-16-2009, 01:31 PM
I doubt Smith's small salary would make that much of a difference. 12 minutes? That's why I'm saying we should've given him more opportunities to prove himself.

It's not just the salary, but the international slot as well. I realize we have another one, but for all we know Gerba and Jamie Smith are signed today based on this move.

I would be pissed if he was let go for absolutely no reason as well, I just don't see why Mo would do that. He obviously needed to let him go to make room somehow.

Fort York Redcoat
06-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Another J. Smith gone. Oh well we know the next one already.

poppamidnight
06-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Another J. Smith gone. Oh well we know the next one already.

That's what I'm most confused by in this rumour...

It said possibly for Gerba OR smith...

Is the smith thing still on???

WTF was taking so long with that signing? I thought it was dead?

Don Julio
06-16-2009, 01:39 PM
The only reason he would be released for "no reason" is if he asked to be released. Big whoop either way. Might as well sign the freestyle guys from the parking lot.

Darlofletch
06-16-2009, 01:44 PM
what, no more stepovers???? no more miscommunication on basic plays with Jimmy Brennan??? no????

Personally I'll miss the times when he just dribbles straight off the pitch.

billyfly
06-16-2009, 01:45 PM
^QFT!!!

Nodoubtguy
06-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Personally I'll miss the times when he just dribbles straight off the pitch.

or when hes dancing on the bench....

poppamidnight
06-16-2009, 01:50 PM
The only reason he would be released for "no reason" is if he asked to be released. Big whoop either way. Might as well sign the freestyle guys from the parking lot.

Remember Hemming asking for his? Twice?

...God I wish we had that guy still. He was our best defender finishing out the 07 season (yes better finish to the yr than Jimmy B), but we never gave him a shot in 08...

This is the problem I have with the Toronto FC system,
We keep going with Bums, for the sake of Bums, and letting people with actual potential fester on the bench where there value dwindles to NOTHING, instead of showcasing them - EVEN THOUGH - they likely wouldn't better than the bums on the field...

Tyler Hemming getting overlooked for: Braz, Reda, Boyens, Dunivant, Velez
Tyler Rosenlund getting overlooked for: Dunivant, Harmse
Now Johann? Got overlooked last yr for Robert, Ruiz + Jarrod (hoping those 2 would regain their form...when they were bums)

...He probably wasn't better than anyone this yr, but I was downright pissed off seeing him get overlooked for Ruiz.... That guy is the biggest steaming pile of turd in TFC history

Jack
06-16-2009, 01:57 PM
I'll be shocked if MLSRumours just broke another story. If it's true. I'm sure the FO is letting MLSRumours break stories just to laugh in our face.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

[NBF]
06-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Toronto FC announced Friday the signing of free agent forward Johann Smith. Toronto acquired the former Bolton Wanderers striker after acquiring the No. 2 allocation ranking from the New England Revolution in exchange for allocation money and Toronto's 13th allocation ranking. This swap in allocation allowed Toronto FC to sign Smith.

So we lost money??..... and New England got that money?

Hustle
06-16-2009, 02:10 PM
With Smith's blazing speed he really should've tried to make a career as a defender like Wynne and Attakora

Dude should have just stayed on the track team and forgot about football.

Pachuco
06-16-2009, 02:13 PM
This makes no sense whatsoever.

Why not? why is it so hard to think up that members of the FO sent the email to MLSRumours? lately, they've been getting insider info sooner then this board has. And they admit it themselves that it's an anonymous source sending them an email. Where as before, we'd hear about it here first.

rocker
06-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Why not? why is it so hard to think up that members of the FO sent the email to MLSRumours? lately, they've been getting insider info sooner then this board has. And they admit it themselves that it's an anonymous source sending them an email. Where as before, we'd hear about it here first.

why would the FO leak rumours about releasing Johan Smith?
for what purpose?
It's a minor move if it actually happens. You send out a press release.
They have no reason to leak a rumour about a bench player getting waived.

Jack
06-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Sorry, maybe I should have only highlighted the "just to laugh in our face" part.

If Mo wants to leak a rumour to MLS-Rumors, that's his business. Chances are Johann told a buddy and that's how it got there.

Laughing in our face? I just don't see it.

Pachuco
06-16-2009, 02:21 PM
why would the FO leak rumours about releasing Johan Smith?
for what purpose?
It's a minor move if it actually happens. You send out a press release.
They have no reason to leak a rumour about a bench player getting waived.

The FO, the BO, the players, who cares. Someone at TFC is leaking these rumours and I think it's to have a laugh at these boards. Come on, MLSRumours getting insider information before these boards do?

Jack
06-16-2009, 02:22 PM
The FO, the BO, the players, who cares. Someone at TFC is leaking these rumours and I think it's to have a laugh at these boards. Come on, MLSRumours getting insider information before these boards do?
http://www.ilovebonnie.net/tinfoil-hat.jpg

You should also remember that the guys from It's Called Football are in bed with MLS Rumors now. ;)

Pachuco
06-16-2009, 02:23 PM
http://www.ilovebonnie.net/tinfoil-hat.jpg

Yeap, it's Paul getting back at us ;)

Jack
06-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Yeap, it's Paul getting back at us ;)
Funny, but from the communication I've had from him, I don't think "getting back at us" is what he's all about.

He's more likely to simply drift away from here rather than field personal attacks, but I doubt he'd start leaking rumours to somewhere else just to spite us. That's not the way he operates.

But I'm sure he could speak for himself if he wanted to. I'm just going on what I know of the guy from two years of interacting with him.

Pachuco
06-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Funny, but from the communication I've had from him, I don't think "getting back at us" is what he's all about.

He's more likely to simply drift away from here rather than field personal attacks, but I doubt he'd start leaking rumours to somewhere else just to spite us. That's not the way he operates.

But I'm sure he could speak for himself if he wanted to. I'm just going on what I know of the guy from two years of interacting with him.

Geeze what is up with everyone today? why is everyone taking things I say so seriously? I think I need to use more smileys :p

ACSertL
06-16-2009, 02:27 PM

Not to mention, wouldn't something like that potentially land him in hot water with the Team?

Jack
06-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Geeze what is up with everyone today? why is everyone taking things I say so seriously? I think I need to use more smileys :p
That's what they're for :D

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-16-2009, 02:35 PM
I’m a little disappointed to hear that Smith has been released, always felt he had the potential to be an impact player. I hope this ends up giving Gala more of a chance to play wide left.

Chevy
06-16-2009, 02:43 PM
I’m a little disappointed to hear that Smith has been released, always felt he had the potential to be an impact player. I hope this ends up giving Gala more of a chance to play wide left.

He may very soon be an Impact player. :rofl:

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-16-2009, 02:45 PM
He may very soon be an Impact player. :rofl:

Gala or Smith?

Chevy
06-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Gala or Smith?

Take your pick. Both maybe.

TOBOR !
06-16-2009, 03:09 PM

Smith was crap - I used to get all wound up when Carver would take Ricketts off for Smith. Why bother ? - they're essentially the same player, one with slightly more skill,the other with quickness/speed.

And remember that play when Brennan was looking to play the ball back to him on a give and go ? Give and gone more like. Smith had turned around and was already running away.

Being as quick as he was he'd often run himself out of room and across the byline before his brain had thought up a plan of what to do with the ball.

meh - as long as this is all about making room for Gerba on the roster I'm all for it.

June 16, 2009
TORONTO FC WAIVES SMITH

Toronto FC announced Tuesday that they have waived forward Johann Smith.
The 22 year old joined the club on August 15, 2008 signing as a free agent.
Smith appeared in a total of 14 games, three of those as a starter. He compiled 418 minutes, and one assist.

Corpand
06-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Bingo. MLS Rumors strikes again

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=282027

Phil
06-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Sportsnet has it too:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2009/06/16/tfc_johann_smith/

NateDoGG
06-16-2009, 03:16 PM

just like goal.com

Shway
06-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Better Smith Than Ricketts

Corpand
06-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Well, this HAS to guarantee that a new signing is coming in. Sutton out, Garcia in. Johann out, ?????? in.

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-16-2009, 03:18 PM
There should be a J.Smith memorial wall at BMO where the names of all the J. Smiths the team has gone through are inscribed.

TFC USA
06-16-2009, 03:21 PM
It's a shame. I sort of miss him losing possession fancily.

Chevy
06-16-2009, 03:28 PM
There should be a J.Smith memorial wall at BMO where the names of all the J. Smiths the team has gone through are inscribed.

How about a song?

We love you Johaaaaaan
We love you Jarrrrrrrrrod
But you Reallllllyyyyyyyy
Fuckin' Sucked.

Everybody now!!!!

rocker
06-16-2009, 03:28 PM
so now we have 18 on the senior roster? 2 spots left? must mean 2 guys comin in. Mo usually hangs on to a player until he really has to dump him.

Broadview
06-16-2009, 03:32 PM
BroadviewRumors (For The Time Between Posts) has it that Joahann and Carver were known to get into it with each other. Maybe the current administration wasn't the fresh start Smith was hoping for.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=14543&page=2

He barely caught a whiff of the field this year, I'm sure he was very frustrated.

I wish him the best, but it'll be hard to miss a player who never played.

Niall
06-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Showed flashes last year. Was really one of the only players that would run at defenders.

This year he really didn't get much time. But when out there seemed to not be good at linking up with team-mates or keeping the ball in play.

Future advice for Johann: Keep it simple, use your pace to run into the space.

Practice crossing again and again, and than some more.

Team Sport Kid

UltraSuperMegaMo
06-16-2009, 03:36 PM
I expect that he’s sure thing to land with another MLS team, he was on a modest salary and won’t count as an int. player for any of the US based teams.

Corpand
06-16-2009, 03:47 PM
I hear Johann was not happy with his contract...at ALL. Someone else was also on the chopping block but Johann was picked instead.

Hustle
06-16-2009, 03:49 PM
I remember when he first came, he was was saying how his goal was to get playing time here, improve his game and then head back to England. I don't think he meant New England.

Later Dude.

rocker
06-16-2009, 04:00 PM
the thing is, in MLS you need these low cost bench players. but then you have guys complaining about low contracts and no playing time (see: Hemming). you almost need to find "just happy to be here" guys who are decent or overpay and hope that shuts em up.

Carter
06-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Anonymous (http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/06/report-joahann-smith-released-by.html) Says:
Posted on June 16, 2009 4:22 PM (http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/06/report-joahann-smith-released-by.html?showComment=1245183752190#c619964490022073 1733)
Red Patch Boys are a bunch of pussies who think buying a supporters group membership makes them real supporters. Most of them do not even have season tickets, and the only way they know how to support a team is from behind the keyboard on the RPB message board. They care more about getting on TV, radio, or newspaper, and moderating their stupid message board, or becoming a moderator, rather than supporting the team, fellow fans, and uniting the south end like they claim. I have had season tickets in the south end supporters section since before RPB were even created, yet they want to kick me out because they think only card carrying paid RPB members should be allowed in the south end. You will never unite the stadium or even south end with your lame elitist attitude towards non-RPB supporters. Fuck the Red Patch Boys.

TFC supporter & south end season tickets holder

mmmmmm

werewolf
06-16-2009, 04:17 PM
^ you have probably made "anonymous" day by reposting that.

Shakes McQueen
06-16-2009, 04:18 PM
$10 says the guy who posted that goes by the name of "Smenge" on BigSoccer.

- Scott

Jack
06-16-2009, 04:20 PM
LOL

Gotta love the haters!

That post gave me a good chuckle. But hey, that's us! We're all about ostracizing the rest of the stadium and kicking out anyone who doesn't have a membership card! Make sure you have your pass, Big Brother is watching you! :rolleyes:

Someone is living in a bit of an altered reality...

Brooker
06-16-2009, 04:24 PM
well i guess it's official that johann is gone...

there goes our hope of scoring goals in montreal.... we're doomed.

Carter
06-16-2009, 04:26 PM
LOL

Gotta love the haters!

That post gave me a good chuckle. But hey, that's us! We're all about ostracizing the rest of the stadium and kicking out anyone who doesn't have a membership card! Make sure you have your pass, Big Brother is watching you! :rolleyes:

Someone is living in a bit of an altered reality...

Is that why you guys kicked me out last week??? because i forgot my membership card. :(

I think that post made my day, i was having such a shitty one until i read that.

YEAH we don't even have season tickets!!! :rofl:

carefree_cfc
06-16-2009, 04:35 PM
So long Eddie Murphy! He was frustrating to watch because he does have potential but he's just so raw right now. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns into a serviceable MLS starter one day, but he's at least a couple years away though. if we don't have the cap room to let him develop under our wings then so be it. Wish him all the best though.

jloome
06-16-2009, 05:06 PM
So long Eddie Murphy! He was frustrating to watch because he does have potential but he's just so raw right now. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns into a serviceable MLS starter one day, but he's at least a couple years away though. if we don't have the cap room to let him develop under our wings then so be it. Wish him all the best though.

Agreed. Didn't get much chance, has been moved around (he was a striker originally when he went to Bolton, with a good U.S. U-19 record) and hasn't settled. Give him a few years understudying at Chivas or Colorado or somewhere and he'll do ok.

Bet Bruce Arena signs him.

trane
06-16-2009, 05:23 PM
well i guess it's official that johann is gone...

there goes our hope of scoring goals in montreal.... we're doomed.

If Johann was your hope for scoring goals in Montreal we were already doomed. No offense to the kid, but all he had was pace, not much else.

Brooker
06-16-2009, 05:25 PM
If Johann was your hope for scoring goals in Montreal we were already doomed. No offense to the kid, but all he had was pace, not much else.

i was just kidding lol. johann is pretty much useless.

except for his cross to Ibby in NY last year.

trane
06-16-2009, 05:34 PM
^ That is what I figured. I just was not sure, as some people realy think he has somethign to offer right now.

jloome
06-16-2009, 05:37 PM
I think he's been quite impressive at times, wooden and one-dimensional at others. In other words, he looks like a big, strong, fast, co-ordinated kid without much technique, same as lots of young American players (Eddie Johnson, anyone?)

This one will bite us in the ass in a few years, I believe, but not so much to worry about it.

Keyman
06-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Called this on Saturday at Shoeless. You could see this coming from a mile away.

Good move.

trane
06-16-2009, 05:45 PM
jloome

He needs the right coaching, I am just not convinced that we have it yet.

TFC07
06-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Smith lacks soccer IQ and technique/skills. So I am not going to miss him.

I don't get why so many people here were so high on him in the first place.

DigzTFC!
06-16-2009, 06:08 PM
I think people need to readjust their thinking on this one. He's 22 years old and has not developed a soccer brain nor the skill to control his speed. There's plenty of athletes that advance themselves at youth levels but do not put it together at higher levels. I really don't expect him to do much of anything after TFC....maybe go to Croatia where he was rumored to go before. The most I see him becoming in MLS is a Corey Ashe type player. If you look back on past U-20 teams of any country you'll find a lot of names that you don't recognize. Some make it, some don't.

Lennon
06-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Glad he's gone ... I can't remember a single thing this guy did well ... can't remember him putting in a single good through ball, cross, or beating any defenders ...

Shway
06-16-2009, 06:16 PM
common now he had pace guys.....

the problem was he couldnt bring the ball with him

rocker
06-16-2009, 06:25 PM
look at Sam Cronin.. not as physically gifted in speed or size but much more developed in footy IQ and technique at almost the same age. Look at young Ibby... the guy is a teen and is a much better allrounder than Smith.
Cronin and Ibby you keep around... Smith I can do without.

Roogsy
06-16-2009, 06:48 PM
jloome

Really? Cummins has a reputation for developing players. If he isn't going to do it...who is?

Keyman
06-16-2009, 06:55 PM
jloome

It's very difficult to teach soccer IQ and technical skills once you're no longer a youth, and anyway, both usually arise naturally; you're born with them. Smith was, in the end, an extremely one-dimensional player. He needs to spend a substantial amount of time on his game until he can even become a starter in MLS, and he did not deserve a place on this team.

GhostPK
06-16-2009, 07:11 PM
It was nice to have him while we did, now BRING IN GERBA ALREADY

trane
06-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Really? Cummins has a reputation for developing players. If he isn't going to do it...who is?

I am not a great believer in Johan Smith, my response was to jloome, saying that he may be able to develop. I just do not think that it will happen here. I have not made my mind up about Cummins one way or the other. I am anything but sad to see Johan Smith go, as I have said I do nt think he has the skill IQ. Can he develop, Jloome thinks he can, maybe with the right coach he can.

Overall I am positve about Cummins, I just want to see a strech of consistent play. As for development, I have no way of judging him right now.

trane
06-16-2009, 07:25 PM
It's very difficult to teach soccer IQ and technical skills once you're no longer a youth, and anyway, both usually arise naturally; you're born with them. Smith was, in the end, an extremely one-dimensional player. He needs to spend a substantial amount of time on his game until he can even become a starter in MLS, and he did not deserve a place on this team.

Keyman, see my post above. But I do not beleive in this you are born with it. Skills are leanred, footy IQ is developed. However, I agree that by 22 you shuold have developed already. I just prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt, but yes not on this squad.

rocker
06-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Johann's the kind of guy who should go down to the USL, try to get a starting position on Miami FC or something. Play 30 full games, score some goals, then revisit MLS.
If he doesn't have the footy IQ/skills he's not gonna learn it on the bench of an MLS team when there's no reserve league.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Was pretty hyped on him initially (was also scared we'd lose him to seattle) but now not so much, yes he hadnt been getting regular first team playing time but still saw no changes from last year (at least something should have clicked in the off season etc).
Not too worried to ridding of him. Good luck Johann.

ensco
06-16-2009, 09:13 PM

Actually I think his rep is for scouting one player in particular, Ashley Young.

I looked when he was hired and could find no sign of any other player that Cummins had found or groomed at Watford Academy or Luton Academy.

I don't know who has been working with Nana. If it's been Cummins, that might be evidence of something. But it's well short of a "reputation for developing players"

Cummins is a blank slate. He's too green to have any sort of track record.

Yohan
06-16-2009, 09:22 PM
yay another spot on the roster! no more running around like chicken with head cut off from Johann Smith

Jeffro
06-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Wow, no more news??

I guess nobody found out Ricketts also got released and Gerba is signed, will make the trip with the team to Montreal and will play if fit?

Or did I miss a thread?

S_D
06-16-2009, 10:19 PM
^ you want to be on mls rumours don't you lol

Pigfynn
06-16-2009, 10:21 PM
You heard it here first boys^^^

Pigfynn
06-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Jeffro has been right in the past

Jeffro
06-16-2009, 10:22 PM
^ No if I wanted that I'd have started a new thread.... just speaking the truth

The Pope
06-16-2009, 10:23 PM
in jeffro we trust

lol

every one knew this was coming sooner or later anyway (ricketts release)

Glad about Gerba, but we'll need more than him

S_D
06-16-2009, 10:24 PM
not questioning you Jeffro... your news is all good in my books.

I am just surprised it took this long.

Nuvinho
06-16-2009, 10:25 PM
So if Ricko is gone, and Gerba in.......we got 2 roster spots left.......one for a winger and one for a defender......or we don't like to carry a full roster?

noochie
06-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Jeffro... if Ricketts is gone, there must be a second signing along with Gerba. They should have plenty of allocation money left so the Ricketts salary should not have been an issue in signing Gerba. Who is the other man? Jamie Smith?

Ossington Mental Youth
06-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Wow, thanks Jeffro.
Ima email some people right now HAHAHA, they will want to know

The Pope
06-16-2009, 10:29 PM
I like the fact that they're clearing all this deadweight...

It means they must have some sort of plan now right??!!??

S_D
06-16-2009, 10:31 PM
I like the fact that they're clearing all this deadweight...

It means they must have some sort of plan now right??!!??

yeah get rid of the non performers.

Doesn't matter if you replace them right away, they weren't really contributing so they shouldn't miss them.

noochie
06-16-2009, 10:34 PM
yeah get rid of the non performers.

Doesn't matter if you replace them right away, they weren't really contributing so they shouldn't miss them.

Except that you need warm bodies to insulate against the short benches in MLS from call-ups and injuries. I hope we don't operate with a short roster for long. Usually... releasing players means signing players.

Ossington Mental Youth
06-16-2009, 10:41 PM
i like how they are prob saving the signing for tomorrow to increase the drama of the game against Montreal HAHAHA

Nuvinho
06-16-2009, 10:44 PM
did you mention that JDG could be in red as well?

Jeffro
06-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Jamie Smith isn't coming.....

JDG tho, is a strong possibility.

Pigfynn
06-16-2009, 10:46 PM
How strong? and don't mess us about Jeffro what do you know mate?

Lucky Strike
06-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by MLS-Rumors.net
Anonymous (http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/06/report-joahann-smith-released-by.html) Says:
Posted on June 16, 2009 4:22 PM (http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/06/report-joahann-smith-released-by.html?showComment=1245183752190#c619964490022073 1733)
Red Patch Boys are a bunch of pussies who think buying a supporters group membership makes them real supporters. Most of them do not even have season tickets, and the only way they know how to support a team is from behind the keyboard on the RPB message board. They care more about getting on TV, radio, or newspaper, and moderating their stupid message board, or becoming a moderator, rather than supporting the team, fellow fans, and uniting the south end like they claim. I have had season tickets in the south end supporters section since before RPB were even created, yet they want to kick me out because they think only card carrying paid RPB members should be allowed in the south end. You will never unite the stadium or even south end with your lame elitist attitude towards non-RPB supporters. Fuck the Red Patch Boys.

TFC supporter & south end season tickets holder

I've seen this "person" post quite a few times on MLSR. Just the fact that he has to "sign" by pointing out to us that he's supposedly a TFC STH is just for show. It's in all likelyhood just some KKKrew guy trying to bash us some more (or anyone with a grudge against us) but is pretending to be a TFC STH in order to not be dismissed and make the criticism sound genuine instead of just petty whining from another team's supporters.

Just wave your hand dismissively and you'll be fine. :D

noochie
06-16-2009, 10:49 PM

It would make sense if Ricketts was released for this purpose... given that most of the remaining games are on grass, grass coming next year and a DP that would only cost 200K or thereabouts... hmm... the Ricketts salary gets close to that.

Tell the truth, the JDG DP contract has already been faxed to NYC ;)

noochie
06-16-2009, 10:51 PM
I've seen this "person" post quite a few times on MLSR. Just the fact that he has to "sign" by pointing out to us that he's supposedly a TFC STH is just for show. It's in all likelyhood just some KKKrew guy trying to bash us some more (or anyone with a grudge against us) but is pretending to be a TFC STH in order to not be dismissed and make the criticism sound genuine instead of just petty whining from another team's supporters.

Better yet LS, don't even post it here. Clearly attention is what they crave :)

Lucky Strike
06-16-2009, 10:57 PM
No downside to the move, IMHO, he was fast as lightning but didn't really do anything with it. It's pretty much all been said, he didn't really have the footballing IQ.

And on the J. Smith memorial, didn't we also have a trialist called Jamal Smith?

Big Bruva
06-16-2009, 11:05 PM

lol don't be pissed bro coz Smithy isn't im sure. He has wanted out for the longest time.

Things that went on behind the scenes were part of him being released not just coz they think he is not good enough or whatever else.

Pigfynn
06-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Big Bruva??? What is going on? Can you say?

Ladies Love Julius James
06-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Jeffro doesnt usually start stuff without some substance I know he has a hookup on the team

S_D
06-16-2009, 11:09 PM

it has to be Roc le Roc :D

Does he still post at BS? He seemed intent on constantly bashing RPB.

And before Adrian comes and tells me to get back on topic I will....

JDG? I would be very surprised (but VERY HAPPY). I don't doubt that TFC would spend the cash, I would just be surprised that JDG didn't want to muck about in Europe for a few more seasons.

Ageroo
06-16-2009, 11:14 PM
And before Adrian comes and tells me to get back on topic I will....

Just for that...back to topic Tim....:)

Keegan
06-17-2009, 12:03 AM

You instantly lost all credibility there

Ageroo
06-17-2009, 12:05 AM

How so...you don't think MLSE would try to throw a lot of money at him to come home? It may or not be the best thing for him, but for growing the sport domestically it would be huge.......

Ossington Mental Youth
06-17-2009, 12:38 AM

hope youre joking cuz hes been right on many occasions
I dont think its out of the question but i wouldnt be surprised if he was posturing to get better offers in europe (wouldnt blame him either)

Jeffro
06-17-2009, 01:57 AM

Nooooooooooooo my credibility!!!!! :lol:

TFCRegina
06-17-2009, 06:15 AM
Yay, bye to Smith.

Fort York Redcoat
06-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Good luck Smith until you play us.

Pookie
06-17-2009, 08:03 AM
TFC waives Smith to make room for Gerba
by Ridge Mahoney, Wednesday, Jun 17, 2009 7:00 AM ET
[MLS] Toronto FC announced Tuesday that it has waived 22-year-old American forward Johann Smith, and director of soccer/manager Mo Johnston confirmed the team will announce the signing of a striker "within 24 hours."

Johnston did not reveal the identity of the new player, but TFC last week acquired the discovery rights to Canadian forward Ali Gerba, along with defender Nick Garcia, from San Jose. "That will still leave us with one more spot," said Johnston, "and will be looking to fill that in the next transfer window." The team released Canadian goalkeeper Greg Sutton when it acquired Garcia, and Gerba will fill one of those slots allotted to TFC for Canadian players.

Gerba, 27, formerly of the USL Montreal Impact and Toronto Lynx, was released by English club MK Dons last month after playing for nearly a dozen clubs in Canada, MLS (Miami), USL-2 (Pittsburgh), Sweden, Denmark and Norway. He's played 23 times for Canada, including the 2005 and 2007 Concacaf Gold Cup tournaments, and scored 11 international goals.

Smith, 22, signed as a free agent last August and registered one assist while playing in 14 MLS games. Raised in Connecticut by Jamaican parents, he signed a contract with Bolton three years ago but failed to stick with Wanderers and moved on to Carlisle United, Darlington and Stockport County before being released and signing with MLS.

http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.showArticleHomePage&art_aid=32769

---

What I found interesting about this is that Gerba would take the spot for Sutton along with the minimal cap space cleared by Johann. Mo then indicates that he has one space left that he plans to fill in the transfer window.

It would appear that if Ricketts goes too, that could mean we have two spots after Gerba.

One for Jamie Smith and one for the "next transfer window"?

Ossington Mental Youth
06-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Smiths not coming anymore as per a good source

rocker
06-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Smiths not coming anymore as per a good source

you have sources???

Jack
06-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Jamie Smith is not coming.

I have a good source.

rocker
06-17-2009, 08:52 AM
everyone's got sources now!

Jack
06-17-2009, 08:52 AM
everyone's got sources now!
Apparently

:rofl:

Shway
06-17-2009, 09:50 AM
soo whoooo is jack?
give us the deciency and let us know that lol...
thats if you kno

Jack
06-17-2009, 09:56 AM
soo whoooo is jack?
give us the deciency and let us know that lol...
thats if you kno
What?

Look, so far all of the rumours this week are:

Smith - released - confirmed
Gerba - signed - confirmed
RR - waived/released - confirmed
JDG - big offer on the table - confirmed

trane
06-17-2009, 10:02 AM
^ I trust you Jack, so if it all comes to be, I owe you like 100 espressos.

trane
06-17-2009, 10:04 AM
I am not crazy about us signing another Smith, not the one they are talking about at least. He may turn out to be a player, but from the little that I have seen he is more of the same old, same old.

Ageroo
06-17-2009, 10:04 AM
What?

Look, so far all of the rumours this week are:

Smith - released - confirmed
Gerba - signed - confirmed
RR - waived/released - confirmed
JDG - big offer on the table - confirmed

I can confirm this as well! :D

Ossington Mental Youth
06-17-2009, 10:10 AM
you have sources???

Jeffro118 HA (hes been posting it in alot of other threads)