PDA

View Full Version : Nigel Reeds article on whether we need a new captain...

ecospice
06-16-2009, 12:49 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/06/does_toronto_fc_need_a_new_cap.html

J-Mo posits that either of Robo, DeRo or Garcia might be good replacements for Brennan.

woolly
06-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Who the hell is J-Mo? That article is by Nigel Reed...

And for god's sake, if J-Mo is supposed to be John Molinero, I think he might be allergic to that kind of nickname.

Waggy
06-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Can't say as I disagree with much of that. The only thing is, I'd look at Serioux before Garcia.

Cuz
06-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Great idea, lets shake things up even more and see if we can't fuck ourselves over... yet again!

We need a new Captain like I need an asshole on my elbow!

Shaughno
06-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Can't say as I disagree with much of that. The only thing is, I'd look at Serioux before Garcia.

Really? A new player, quiet and not very commanding, vocally anyway. Or Garcia, a new player, loud, very commanding, very vocal and definitely the more experienced CB of the two.

IMO, Garcia or Robbo would be a shoe-in.

rocker
06-16-2009, 01:23 PM
ya, if we just had a stronger captain, we'd score more goals!!!! ;)

i think this kind of shit is overrated. it's soap opera stuff that i don't think has any bearing on the field.

Shaughno
06-16-2009, 01:25 PM
ya, if we just had a stronger captain, we'd score more goals!!!! ;)

i think this kind of shit is overrated. it's soap opera stuff that i don't think has any bearing on the field.

A good captain can make a big difference on the pitch. I'm not saying Jimmy is doing a bad job, but who's to say whether he's inspiring people on the pitch or not?

The Kingpin
06-16-2009, 01:25 PM
This proves again - loyalty is thin amongst so many. Pathetic.

Roogsy
06-16-2009, 01:31 PM
As long as Jimmy is wearing TFC red, I am happy.

I don't particularly care who is wearing the armband.

If Jimmy is not as effective as Robbo for example, I have no problems with passing on the armband. But I still want to see Brennan on the pitch.

Naturegirl
06-16-2009, 01:34 PM
I think Jimmy is a good captain and a monster on the pitch. I love how he is always coming in defending our players when shit goes down on the pitch. If one of our boys gets hit bad or shit starts, its always jimmy slamming in there and giving it back. Thats sweet but its Robbo who is the locker room mouth and leader.

Shaughno
06-16-2009, 01:41 PM
I think Jimmy is a good captain and a monster on the pitch. I love how he is always coming in defending our players when shit goes down on the pitch. If one of our boys gets hit bad or shit starts, its always jimmy slamming in there and giving it back. Thats sweet but its Robbo who is the locker room mouth and leader.

Exactly my point. Definitely not saying Jimmy isn't doing his job, but from what I've seen/heard he's not the one that inspires the players on the pitch.

Shaughno
06-16-2009, 01:42 PM

Please do explain oh mighty lord of football knowledge.

Wagner
06-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Jimmy B is still good.
when things got stupid in Van City...it was Jimmy B that did that hard slide tackle to make a message.
he'll also get in the grill of the other team.

Parkdale
06-16-2009, 01:44 PM
hahaha...

loyalty to who? the current captain who's out with an injury?

maybe if we were actually loyal, we'd play without a captain, just to honour the guy who's not even dressed to play?

Shaughno
06-16-2009, 01:46 PM
hahaha...

loyalty to who? the current captain who's out with an injury?

maybe if we were actually loyal, we'd play without a captain, just to honour the guy who's not even dressed to play?

Thank fuck I'm not the only one. :lol:

Nobody is saying cut Jimmy. Hell, I'm not even saying drop Jimmy as the captain. I'm saying IF, keyword there, IF we were to select a new captain my vote would be Robbo or Garcia.

grizzle
06-16-2009, 01:47 PM
I think a new person wearing the captain's band might be a good thing.

Parkdale
06-16-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm saying IF, keyword there, IF we were to select a new captain my vote would be Robbo or Garcia.

I'd need more time before really considering Garcia. Remember the whole Ruiz fiasco?
I really hope that Garcia comes with a better headspace than that guy, but you can see
that there are some potential similarities (long time MLS vet who moved into a leadership role)

Waggy
06-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Really? A new player, quiet and not very commanding, vocally anyway. Or Garcia, a new player, loud, very commanding, very vocal and definitely the more experienced CB of the two.

IMO, Garcia or Robbo would be a shoe-in.

Ya but what Serioux does is leave EVERYTHING on the pitch. Everything. Thats all I want out of a captain. The only reason I'd like to see a switch is because I do think the stress of it is getting to Jimmy. I'd like to see him relax a bit.

Edit: Also my vote for captain starts and ends with Robbo, with a possible consideration of Danny D. I'd just consider Serioux before Garcia

Darlofletch
06-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Exactly my point. Definitely not saying Jimmy isn't doing his job, but from what I've seen/heard he's not the one that inspires the players on the pitch.

Dichio was the one giving the inspiring team talk in the middle of the group huddle pre game on saturday.

I'm still happy with Brennan with Robbo as next in line, as long as Jimmy's still regularly in the team, he should be captain.

Jack
06-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Robbo is the vice-captain as it is. While Jimmy B is out, Robbo wears it.

When Jimmy gets back, it's his.

We don't need a new captain. We need a forward who can occasionally miss the keeper and hit the net when he's in alone.

Shaughno
06-16-2009, 01:54 PM
I'd need more time before really considering Garcia. Remember the whole Ruiz fiasco?
I really hope that Garcia comes with a better headspace than that guy, but you can see
that there are some potential similarities (long time MLS vet who moved into a leadership role)

Agreed. For the players, having a brand new guy walk into a leadership role can be negative. Though, I've noticed everyone seems to listen to him right off the bat. Major positive. If we keep Jimmy as Captain until the end of the year, I could see Garcia stepping up over the offseason. Much like Serioux, he seems to play with his heart, but he's a much smarter, more knowledgable defender than Serioux IMO.

Ya but what Serioux does is leave EVERYTHING on the pitch. Everything. Thats all I want out of a captain. The only reason I'd like to see a switch is because I do think the stress of it is getting to Jimmy. I'd like to see him relax a bit.

For sure, but on the pitch Serioux doesn't command his players or inspire players to play better. He plays his game and does it well.

flatpicker
06-16-2009, 02:00 PM
ok ok guys... I will be TFC's captain!
I will shout out some inspiring words from the bench (god help us if they put me in the game!)

Fort York Redcoat
06-16-2009, 02:00 PM

Oxymoron for me. Soap opera shit is never overrated.:)

Parkdale
06-16-2009, 02:02 PM
We don't need a new captain. We need a forward who can occasionally miss the keeper and hit the net when he's in alone.

playmaker, striker, defender.... it doesn't matter to me which position wear the captain's band, as long as all those jobs are being done right. I wish ours were.

Shaughno
06-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Oxymoron for me. Soap opera shit is never overrated.:)

The oxymoron is saying a captain has no bearing on the pitch. Ask United players if Keano had an effect on the pitch. Or Arsenal with Viera, etc.

Fort York Redcoat
06-16-2009, 02:05 PM
The oxymoron is saying a captain has no bearing on the pitch. Ask United players if Keano had an effect on the pitch. Or Arsenal with Viera, etc.

Or Gallas with Arsenal:D...yes I agree with you my point was only that football has better drama surrounding the game than any NA sport I know (or like).

Shaughno
06-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Or Gallas with Arsenal:D...yes I agree with you my point was only that football has better drama surrounding the game than any NA sport I know (or like).

NFL is pretty drama fueled at times... NBA and MLB too :rofl:

Roogsy
06-16-2009, 02:11 PM

Agreed. The issue of captain really is a red herring with regards to the real needs of this team.

If Robbo is the "leader" in the locker room, he will do so with or without the armband.

What will decide games is improving on the finishing side. And captain armbards don't decide that.

ecospice
06-16-2009, 02:12 PM

And for god's sake, if J-Mo is supposed to be John Molinero, I think he might be allergic to that kind of nickname.

Yeah, my bad, I am an idiot [ too much :drinking: ] and I forgot to read the by-line. Sorry to J-Mo and Nigel.

:scarf:

Beach_Red
06-16-2009, 02:23 PM

Okay, so you don't like your drama to include guns. To each his own, I guess...

Shep
06-16-2009, 02:38 PM

How is wanting the best man for the job being disloyal?

Even Jimmy should want that.

Shep
06-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Agreed. The issue of captain really is a red herring with regards to the real needs of this team.

If Robbo is the "leader" in the locker room, he will do so with or without the armband.

What will decide games is improving on the finishing side. And captain armbards don't decide that.

I agree, but also the players would want that armband to go to the person who deserves it most. If they see one person doing the job, and another person sporting the band it might put them off a bit.

Just a guess though, maybe they don't care who wears it.

johnmolinaro
06-16-2009, 02:41 PM

It's the nickname I've had around the office now for about three years. I didn't pick it and I'm not a big fan of it, but hey, what can you do?

John "J-Mo" Molinaro

Roogsy
06-16-2009, 02:42 PM
I'd call you "the mole"....LOL! Not much better I suppose!

VoxPopuliCosmicum
06-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Thank fuck I'm not the only one. :lol:

Nobody is saying cut Jimmy. Hell, I'm not even saying drop Jimmy as the captain. I'm saying IF, keyword there, IF we were to select a new captain my vote would be Robbo or Garcia.

You really thought you were the only one?

The Kingpin
06-16-2009, 03:10 PM

THANK GOD!!

I'm not floating out here... This discussion is ludicrous. Jim Brennan has taken this team through some horrible shit - this team was and has been abysmal at times and he has held both his and his teammates heads high. As I said - loyalties are thin. There are much bigger issues... But hey...

Shaughno
06-16-2009, 03:17 PM
THANK GOD!!

I'm not floating out here... This discussion is ludicrous. Jim Brennan has taken this team through some horrible shit - this team was and has been abysmal at times and he has held both his and his teammates heads high. As I said - loyalties are thin. There are much bigger issues... But hey...

How are loyalties thin? Is someone specifically calling for Jimmy NOT to be captain? Aside from the OP article that is. Robbo has helped carry this team through the same horrible shit, but I guess not being the face of the team makes him not fit for the job and therefore my loyalties are thin.

Naturegirl
06-16-2009, 03:18 PM
we are all just commenting on the nigel article. Debating the issue does not mean loyalities are thin. Jimmy will always have our loyalty. Discussion of topic and spreading our love jimy is allowed here..hense the discussion

Jack
06-16-2009, 03:18 PM
playmaker, striker, defender.... it doesn't matter to me which position wear the captain's band, as long as all those jobs are being done right. I wish ours were.
What does this have to do with what I said?

My point is, we don't have an issue with our captain, we have an issue with forwards who can't score.

Why are people worried about this? The players respect Jimmy and Robbo as captain and vice-captain.

That's enough for me. Now how about that striker? Our playmakers have done a pretty good job of creating chances this season (ie. doing their jobs right) but our forwards haven't really done much of a job putting those chances away. Namely Barrett and, to a lesser extent, Vitti (who I don't think is really a striker).

Why people would turn on Jimmy B when all he's done is give his all for this team for every single minute he's on the pitch baffles my fucking imagination.

Parkdale
06-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Jim Brennan has taken this team through some horrible shit - this team was and has been abysmal at times and he has held both his and his teammates heads high. As I said - loyalties are thin.

so his job is to keep morale up when times are tough?
or is it to get the best play out of the team? has that happened?

no matter how we want to define 'Team Captain', he's had some very poor games, and just because he's the captain doesn't mean he should be free of critisism. I don't think it's an issue of loyalty. If someone isn't playing up to snuff, they shouldn't get a pass on critisism because of a armband or their desire to win. Obviously he wants to win, but can he do more than he is already doing to make us a winning side? Maybe some other player would have better success. Just asking those questions doesn't mean we aren't 'loyal'.

Parkdale
06-16-2009, 03:23 PM

My point is, we don't have an issue with our captain, we have an issue with forwards who can't score.

acutally, I was using it to back up what you said.
our issues aren't with who's wearing an armband, it's with who can't find the net.

Jack
06-16-2009, 03:24 PM
so his job is to keep morale up when times are tough?
or is it to get the best play out of the team? has that happened?

no matter how we want to define 'Team Captain', he's had some very poor games, and just because he's the captain doesn't mean he should be free of critisism. I don't think it's an issue of loyalty. If someone isn't playing up to snuff, they shouldn't get a pass on critisism because of a armband or their desire to win. Obviously he wants to win, but can he do more than he is already doing to make us a winning side? Maybe some other player would have better success. Just asking those questions doesn't mean we aren't 'loyal'.
Since when does the captain have to be the best player?

Giving it all and playing hard every game, even if you're having a tough night, is better leadership than just having more skill.

Naturegirl
06-16-2009, 03:24 PM
i don't think anyone is turning on jimmy. I think he is awesome in everyway, just people discussing the merits or lack thereof of nigels articles.

Jimmy has been nothing but outstanding in everyway. god bless him and his sexy ass :D

Jack
06-16-2009, 03:25 PM
How are loyalties thin? Is someone specifically calling for Jimmy NOT to be captain? Aside from the OP article that is. Robbo has helped carry this team through the same horrible shit, but I guess not being the face of the team makes him not fit for the job and therefore my loyalties are thin.
No question that Robbo is one of the real leaders on the team. Which is why he's the vice-captain.

There doesn't have to be only one, this isn't Highlander :D

Shaughno
06-16-2009, 03:25 PM

Why are people worried about this? The players respect Jimmy and Robbo as captain and vice-captain.

That's enough for me. Now how about that striker? Our playmakers have done a pretty good job of creating chances this season (ie. doing their jobs right) but our forwards haven't really done much of a job putting those chances away. Namely Barrett and, to a lesser extent, Vitti (who I don't think is really a striker).

Why people would turn on Jimmy B when all he's done is give his all for this team for every single minute he's on the pitch baffles my fucking imagination.

IMO it's a valid point of discussion. How many striker/position/tactic threads have there been, but we can't have one about possible captaincy change in the future?

Changing your captain can effect your team, whether it be positive or negative depends on the situation and the teammates.

Do we want Jimmy to step down as captain? I don't think anyone here has said that at all, from what I see anyway. Is there a possibility that we have a better leader in our ranks who could do a better job? Sure, it's possible. So why not discuss it? By discussing it isn't taking away from the job Jimmy has and will do, or discrediting Robbo's job either.

Parkdale
06-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Since when does the captain have to be the best player?

Giving it all and playing hard every game, even if you're having a tough night, is better leadership than just having more skill.

I never said he had to be the best.

persoanlly, I'd rather watch skilled players win games than players with heart lose them. Hell... Andy Welsh played hard and had a big heart, he jsut wasn't very good.

Shaughno
06-16-2009, 03:29 PM
No question that Robbo is one of the real leaders on the team. Which is why he's the vice-captain.

There doesn't have to be only one, this isn't Highlander :D

Exactly, which is why I think we should have this discussion. I think Robbo IS the real leader on our team. IMO I think we should (moreso over the offseason) discuss and figure out if we have any other natural leaders who may be able to do a better job.

IMO, if we keep Garcia, I think he is a very similar mold to Robbo and could quite easily slip in as a co-captain. He definitely has all the right attributes and is naturally leading the players around him already.

Parkdale
06-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Is there a possibility that we have a better leader in our ranks who could do a better job? Sure, it's possible. So why not discuss it? By discussing it isn't taking away from the job Jimmy has and will do, or discrediting Robbo's job either.

yeah, that's my line of thought. there's no harm in discussing it.

Would we have a better team with another captain?
That's a discussion we can have without actually calling for Jim's resignation.

Shaughno
06-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Exactly, or *gasp* questioning people's loyalties. :rolleyes:

As I've said, I think Jimmy's done a stellar job. Personally I think Robbo is a better captain, but that's my opinion and I'm not in any position to asign the captaincy anyway.

Jack
06-16-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm not going to quote it all, guys, but I essentially agree with you.

A captain can be a talisman, a leader in the locker room, a leader on the pitch, a quiet inspirational type, a loud vocal field general, a heart and soul guy, a great player who leads by example or any combination of these (and many other things as well :D).

But most teams have more than one leader. Garcia will be a leader on this team because that's the kind of guy he is and he'll be a marshall on our backline. Robbo is our midfield general and Dichio is a vocal guy who gives his all for every minute he's out there up front and also makes inspirational plays. But none of them needs the armband for that to be the case. That's just the type of player and men they are.

Jimmy B is a sort of talismanic captain for me. Hometown boy who plays his heart out every game. He may not be the best player but he certainly tries his best every match. He's vocal out there and quick to jump to the defense of his teammates and from what I've heard he's good at keeping them loose and having some fun.

I think, with the veterans we have on this team, that we have a good mix of guys for leadership. So whichever wears the armband, it won't change the leadership they bring. I like the hometown boy angle, so I'm happy with Jimmy.

For me, this is an interesting discussion, but I see no need for a change in this area.

Parkdale
06-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Garcia will be a leader on this team because that's the kind of guy he is and he'll be a marshall on our backline.

A Tyrone Marshall ????

:cool::cool::cool:

Shaughno
06-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Oh god no... :rofl:

Jack
06-16-2009, 03:41 PM
A Tyrone Marshall ????

:cool::cool::cool:
Wow...I write a novel and that's all you get out of it? :D

Parkdale
06-16-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm choosing to focus on the comical. besides, the rest is easy enough to agree with.

The Kingpin
06-16-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm not going to quote it all, guys, but I essentially agree with you.

A captain can be a talisman, a leader in the locker room, a leader on the pitch, a quiet inspirational type, a loud vocal field general, a heart and soul guy, a great player who leads by example or any combination of these (and many other things as well :D).

But most teams have more than one leader. Garcia will be a leader on this team because that's the kind of guy he is and he'll be a marshall on our backline. Robbo is our midfield general and Dichio is a vocal guy who gives his all for every minute he's out there up front and also makes inspirational plays. But none of them needs the armband for that to be the case. That's just the type of player and men they are.

Jimmy B is a sort of talismanic captain for me. Hometown boy who plays his heart out every game. He may not be the best player but he certainly tries his best every match. He's vocal out there and quick to jump to the defense of his teammates and from what I've heard he's good at keeping them loose and having some fun.

I think, with the veterans we have on this team, that we have a good mix of guys for leadership. So whichever wears the armband, it won't change the leadership they bring. I like the hometown boy angle, so I'm happy with Jimmy.

For me, this is an interesting discussion, but I see no need for a change in this area.

This is a much more poetic way to put it - I agree with this in principle. Other than the fact this is an interesting discussion. Jim Brennan has never done a single thing, in my estimation, that would warrant anyone even questioning his leadership and captaincy. It just seems that nothing is sacred.

Parkdale
06-16-2009, 04:00 PM
It just seems that nothing is sacred.

BMO Field - up for debate
Field Turf - up for debate
Mo Johnson - up for debate
Chris Cummins - up for debate
Any player who's under performing - up for debate
The motives behind the Real Madrid friendly - up for debate
pretty much everything - up for debate

Jim Brennan as Captain - sorry, that's sacred and not up for debate.

The Kingpin
06-16-2009, 04:05 PM
BMO Field - up for debate
Field Turf - up for debate
Mo Johnson - up for debate
Chris Cummins - up for debate
Any player who's under performing - up for debate
The motives behind the Real Madrid friendly - up for debate
pretty much everything - up for debate

Jim Brennan as Captain - sorry, that's sacred and not up for debate.

Correct - thanks for clearing that up.

jloome
06-16-2009, 05:36 PM

Gotta disagree. It's clear -- evident -- from Robbo's comments about Garcia directing traffic that there hasn't been the on-field leadership when we've been in a pinch. Brennan isn't a field general and hasn't shown leadership by leading us back from tough circumstances.

I'd also suggest both he and Robbo are vocally rude to refs in a manner North American officials will never accept as something germain to the game, and that probably costs us.

To me, Garcia, even as a new player, has the kind of personality we've been looking for.

Jack
06-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Gotta disagree. It's clear -- evident -- from Robbo's comments about Garcia directing traffic that there hasn't been the on-field leadership when we've been in a pinch. Brennan isn't a field general and hasn't shown leadership by leading us back from tough circumstances.

I'd also suggest both he and Robbo are vocally rude to refs in a manner North American officials will never accept as something germain to the game, and that probably costs us.

To me, Garcia, even as a new player, has the kind of personality we've been looking for.

I don't like to quote myself, but I think what I say here below addresses your comment. I would also take exception to the use of the word "evident". That's how you choose to interpret things but I don't believe that. Jimmy isn't a backline general or an on-field general. He's not that kind of captain nor has he pretended to be. We've always needed that backline general from a tactical standpoint, but it doesn't mean he needs to be the captain.

cochrdoc
06-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Jimmy is a pylon on defence .Him and Garcia are to slow,our goals against is not going toget any better.We need a hell of a scorer to stay ahead of the goals we give up.It is time for a new captain.Jimmy boy has been the leader of a lousey team for two years,and this team to date has not changed things around yet.I hope the new signings change our fortune or else we will be out of the play-offs again.

Yohan
06-16-2009, 09:16 PM
This is a much more poetic way to put it - I agree with this in principle. Other than the fact this is an interesting discussion. Jim Brennan has never done a single thing, in my estimation, that would warrant anyone even questioning his leadership and captaincy. It just seems that nothing is sacred.
i question a leader who can't get his teammates to keep playing despite being at the end of a losing game

i'm big on leadership, on and off the field. sure. you can have several leaders in the locker room, but when the shit really hits the fan, the players on the field will look to The Captain on the pitch for inspiration and guidance

Brennan may have other qualities necessary for leadership, charisma for example. but he never struck to me as ass kicker type of guy, which is necessary sometimes.

Nigel Reed also spoke about how Brennan is a very nice guy. But leaders can't be just nice guys. There is an old adage 'familiarity breeds contempt' and for some reason I get the feeling that the lads don't take Brennan seriously all the time.

I would have preferred Robbo as the captain and Brennan as vice captain. Even just looking at Robbo interviews, you get this no bullshit attitude from him when he's speaking anything related to the game. He radiates authority and command respect by virtue of his experience and personality.

CoachGT
06-17-2009, 08:20 AM
So a little twist on this, if MLSE was to sign a DP, should the DP be made captain?

Depending upon who it is, maybe......

Parkdale
06-17-2009, 08:27 AM
So a little twist on this, if MLSE was to sign a DP, should the DP be made captain?

Depending upon who it is, maybe......

it would totally depend on who it is.

If we got a pure striker (let's just say Henry for a laugh), would that make for a good captain? I don't think it would. If they signed a pure "#10" midfielder (to keep us laughing.... Zidane), then he could fill the role of captain quite easily.

and in the end.... it's an opinion piece / blog designed to stir up conversation, and good work Nigel, you've got us talking.

Shaughno
06-17-2009, 08:33 AM

That's pretty much my stance on Garcia as well. He definitely seems to be that field general that we've been missing. Does he have to be captain? No, of course not. Will it help the team if he were to become captain? It's possible. As you mentioned, Brennan and Robbo haven't exactly grabbed games by the horns trying to change the outcome. Or if they have, it hasn't seemed to rub off on the rest of the team.

Also as I mentioned before, with Garcia being new I can see how if he was appointed as the new captain, it could disrupt things but I bet both Robbo and Jimmy would be fine with it if they thought it was for the best of the team.

The Kingpin
06-17-2009, 08:36 AM
it would totally depend on who it is.

If we got a pure striker (let's just say Henry for a laugh), would that make for a good captain? I don't think it would. If they signed a pure "#10" midfielder (to keep us laughing.... Zidane), then he could fill the role of captain quite easily.

and in the end.... it's an opinion piece / blog designed to stir up conversation, and good work Nigel, you've got us talking.

So a captain is based on position? Man this delves deeper into the sublime every minute... And Nigel's article didn't bring much of a debate, it just showed ignorance. Only the individuals who get all giddy to speak to him will agree with him. The article appeals to those who are from the sporting lowest common denominator. Just my thoughts anyway...

Shaughno
06-17-2009, 08:41 AM
So a captain is based on position? Man this delves deeper into the sublime every minute... And Nigel's article didn't bring much of a debate, it just showed ignorance. Only the individuals who get all giddy to speak to him will agree with him. The article appeals to those who are from the sporting lowest common denominator. Just my thoughts anyway...

Pardon? I've never met Nigel, and to be honest, I couldn't be fucking bothered either. The article brings up a valid point of discussion that, realistically, hasn't been discussed since the first year. We are now in our third year, with the results slightly improved but we're still having problems securing results. Maybe... just maybe, a new captain could be a small, or even large part of the answer. Then again, it may have no direct bearing on the results.

Regardless, I'm not seeing our players playing with 100% for the entire 90mins. So somebody is not inspiring our players when it's needed. Something we've lacked since the very beginning is a determination to make sure the game doesn't slip away from us. I've yet to see this aside from one or two occasions per year. Until that determination is there week in, week out, I realistically don't see us having a proper run at the cup.

My $0.02 without calling people idiots in an indirect way whilst not giving any actual opinions on the subject.

Section 117
06-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Pardon? I've never met Nigel, and to be honest, I couldn't be fucking bothered either. The article brings up a valid point of discussion that, realistically, hasn't been discussed since the first year. We are now in our third year, with the results slightly improved but we're still having problems securing results. Maybe... just maybe, a new captain could be a small, or even large part of the answer. Then again, it may have no direct bearing on the results.

Regardless, I'm not seeing our players playing with 100% for the entire 90mins. So somebody is not inspiring our players when it's needed. Something we've lacked since the very beginning is a determination to make sure the game doesn't slip away from us. I've yet to see this aside from one or two occasions per year. Until that determination is there week in, week out, I realistically don't see us having a proper run at the cup.

My $0.02 without calling people idiots in an indirect way whilst not giving any actual opinions on the subject.

Fucking Briliant.

You summed it up perfectly

bhoybobby
06-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Jimmy B's doing a fine job. He's played with knocks & is generally a solid TFC player. playing with the likes of Velez & Harmse can't be easy.

Those calling out Brennan should be ashamed, he is always on the plus side of the ledger.