PDA

View Full Version : It's Called Football - Rohan Ricketts interview

It's Called Football
06-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Toronto FC midfielder Rohan Ricketts joins It's Called Football to talk about his future with the team, his time on the bench, Twittergate and his charity - Athletes for Africa.

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/blog/post/246288

Also, check out our new segment It's Called a Cartoon for some laughs.

This week's episode is: The Revolution vs. Mo Johnston

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/blog/post/246134

Cheers
Ben

ExiledRed
06-15-2009, 10:01 PM
That cartoon is some funny shit right there. Full marks.

Nice. Thanks for the chuckle.

TFC John
06-15-2009, 10:27 PM
The cartoon is pretty funny but it raises the question; Does the cartoon make the protesters look childish or do the protesters do that to themselves?

Did Ben mean to take the position that the protesters are whining? Because that's kind of what that cartoon is saying.

jloome
06-15-2009, 11:00 PM
OK, that was fucking funny.

CretanBull
06-15-2009, 11:23 PM
It's funny for sure, but not entirely accurate. It's not as if the signing of Gerba has made everyone happy and all the other problems go away.

ExiledRed
06-15-2009, 11:28 PM
It's satire, fuckin roll with it. It represents the collective diversity of opinion as a single entity, and the synthesised voices symbolise the anonymity of the internet.
It's brilliant, and it's funny.

and I still want a grass pitch and a DP.

CretanBull
06-16-2009, 12:04 AM
^ I agree completely and didn't mean to imply otherwise...just commenting because others speculated about the intention of it.

nascarguy
06-16-2009, 12:30 AM
the Ricketts interview was funny what was he eating

Brooker
06-16-2009, 02:57 AM
i do agree that the protest at gate 4 & twittering don garber about the reffing basically has the same idea.... it might not be directly responsible for any change but will bring it to attention.

why can't we be friends? :D

elvis
06-16-2009, 05:17 AM
It's amazing that people say the protest didn't work though - freakin' cartoons about it...don't see anything mentioning twittering MLS FO...

CretanBull
06-16-2009, 05:56 AM
For all the negative comments etc. about the protest, I think it's fair to say that it was one of the most successfull collective actions taken by sports fans in the city of Toronto. It didn't have to be large, it didn't need to have a single issue focus, it didn't even need to be exceptionally well organized etc. All of the criticisms turned out to be flat out wrong. All that was needed was for us to put our anger and frustration on display and that sent a clear enough message to provoke a response. We made our issues the talk of Toronto's sports world for a solid week...every newspaper had an article about the problems surrounding the Madrid game, every newspaper had an article about the lack of grass, every newspaper had an article about the Canada Cup failures and most papers had an article calling the direction of the team into question. For a few days straight our issues were front and centre on radio call in shows. Our goal was to create awarness about the issues at hand and in my view we exceeded well beyond expectation.

As a result of the protest (or in reaction to it) we were able to hold a meeting with the front office, we forced the manager of the team to publically address the problems and we made the problems of our niche sport mainstream sports news.

Anyone who thinks it was a failure of any kind (ie "We still don't have a DP", "We still don't have grass", "The NYRB game was still resheduled" etc) can't see the trees through the forest. We showed that we won't be complacent fans, that we'll hold those in charge accountable and that we won't be fucked over without it being a PR nightmare. Did we immediately solve the problems? No, we didn't. But you'd have to be a fool to think that our actions on that day didn't prevent a future full of similar problems. In regards to TFC, MSLE will move forward in a more cautious way.

With that said, I think its time to put it behind us and work towards mending fenses. What's done is done, each side learned from the experience and I hope we walk away from it all with a new level of respect for each other.

:scarf:

FluSH
06-16-2009, 06:02 AM
It's funny for sure, but not entirely accurate. It's not as if the signing of Gerba has made everyone happy and all the other problems go away.

Certainly hasn't made me happy... I guess I'm the only one that sees a Canadian Intl who was released from a League 1 team... hopefully I am proven wrong.

Maybe It's Called Football is happy....

I still don't understand why we let these blog pieces on this section, when everyone else's blogs get sent elsewhere. Let's have everyone start a blog and post here! please.

CretanBull
06-16-2009, 06:07 AM
Certainly hasn't made me happy... I guess I'm the only one that sees a Canadian Intl who was released from a League 1 team... hopefully I am proven wrong.

I really want to be wrong, but I think - based on comments made on the forums - that a lot of people are going to be let down by Gerba, not because he isn't good but because he won't be the saviour that they expect him to be. Duane made the point on the show, Gerba is apart of the solution but not the solution itself.

Edit: I'm not worried that he's coming from a League 1 team (its a higher standard than most peolpe realize), I'm worried that despite his goal scoring record there he was let go and not picked up by anyone else.

VPjr
06-16-2009, 06:29 AM

+1

There is still plenty wrong with TFC and it doesn't get solved by signing Ali Gerba (IF that happens), or having Anselmi make "promises" about grass (assuming they are willing to deal with all the other conditions the city is going to inevitably stick them with).

I truly hope the majority of supporters are that not easily satisfied.

DOMIN8R
06-16-2009, 06:31 AM
It's a cartoon.
It's not suppose to be accurate.
It's suppose to be funny.
It accomplished that.

RR interview? Not so much. Phil said it best. It was uncomfortable. But Ben and Duane handled it reasonably well.

This blog and the Red Patch Boys Live substitute is something I increasingly look forward to every week.

Oh and by the way....we need to laugh at ourselves a little more often.;)

ensco
06-16-2009, 06:36 AM
I will contribute $50 right now to the "Mo Johnston - we demand an elephant!" banner team.

DOMIN8R
06-16-2009, 06:37 AM
I want an elephant to. I'm in for another $50.

CretanBull
06-16-2009, 06:39 AM
How much do you think it would cost to rent an elephant and bring it to a tailgate? :D

DOMIN8R
06-16-2009, 06:40 AM
^^^^ even better. I don't want us to "own" an elephant. We can't even take care of banners properly. I'd be happy with just an occasional appearance by an elephant.

TFC Tifoso
06-16-2009, 06:55 AM
For all the negative comments etc. about the protest, I think it's fair to say that it was one of the most successfull collective actions taken by sports fans in the city of Toronto. It didn't have to be large, it didn't need to have a single issue focus, it didn't even need to be exceptionally well organized etc. All of the criticisms turned out to be flat out wrong. All that was needed was for us to put our anger and frustration on display and that sent a clear enough message to provoke a response. We made our issues the talk of Toronto's sports world for a solid week...every newspaper had an article about the problems surrounding the Madrid game, every newspaper had an article about the lack of grass, every newspaper had an article about the Canada Cup failures and most papers had an article calling the direction of the team into question. For a few days straight our issues were front and centre on radio call in shows. Our goal was to create awarness about the issues at hand and in my view we exceeded well beyond expectation.

As a result of the protest (or in reaction to it) we were able to hold a meeting with the front office, we forced the manager of the team to publically address the problems and we made the problems of our niche sport mainstream sports news.

Anyone who thinks it was a failure of any kind (ie "We still don't have a DP", "We still don't have grass", "The NYRB game was still resheduled" etc) can't see the trees through the forest. We showed that we won't be complacent fans, that we'll hold those in charge accountable and that we won't be fucked over without it being a PR nightmare. Did we immediately solve the problems? No, we didn't. But you'd have to be a fool to think that our actions on that day didn't prevent a future full of similar problems. In regards to TFC, MSLE will move forward in a more cautious way.

With that said, I think its time to put it behind us and work towards mending fenses. What's done is done, each side learned from the experience and I hope we walk away from it all with a new level of respect for each other.

fantastic post!......if people don't get it by now they never will....and the cartoon is waaaaay off the mark.....Gerba certainly doesn't solve everything....not even close....

Maybe It's Called Football is happy....

I still don't understand why we let these blog pieces on this section, when everyone else's blogs get sent elsewhere. Let's have everyone start a blog and post here! please.

hahahahahaha!........spot on, Flush!

+1

There is still plenty wrong with TFC and it doesn't get solved by signing Ali Gerba (IF that happens), or having Anselmi make "promises" about grass (assuming they are willing to deal with all the other conditions the city is going to inevitably stick them with).

I truly hope the majority of supporters are that not easily satisfied.

I hope so too....but something tells me many will be....to be honest, if Mo can land a quality DP before there is grass, I will be pretty happy (still want grass eventually though), but at the moment it seems TFC can't get one without the other.

Fort York Redcoat
06-16-2009, 07:08 AM
Funny cartoon. ha.ha.

Now if we had the protest on one issue alone would this bloggart be outlining how we missed all the other issues to protest?

perhaps I'll get my humour back after one of the issues are resolved.

reggie
06-16-2009, 07:44 AM
what do we do if we lose to montreal on thursday?

Yohan
06-16-2009, 07:49 AM
what do we do if we lose to montreal on thursday?
fire Mo? lol

elvis
06-16-2009, 08:58 AM
For all the negative comments etc. about the protest, I think it's fair to say that it was one of the most successfull collective actions taken by sports fans in the city of Toronto. It didn't have to be large, it didn't need to have a single issue focus, it didn't even need to be exceptionally well organized etc. All of the criticisms turned out to be flat out wrong. All that was needed was for us to put our anger and frustration on display and that sent a clear enough message to provoke a response. We made our issues the talk of Toronto's sports world for a solid week...every newspaper had an article about the problems surrounding the Madrid game, every newspaper had an article about the lack of grass, every newspaper had an article about the Canada Cup failures and most papers had an article calling the direction of the team into question.

+1 - my point exactly but you have said it much better than I...as usually happens around here.

Roogsy
06-16-2009, 09:08 AM

Great post.

The Pope
06-16-2009, 09:23 AM
valid points all around but that cartoon was still funny

denime
06-16-2009, 09:27 AM

Bang on,great post :thumbsup: