PDA

View Full Version : Barrett - stats

Cal
06-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Now that he has had a decent amount of appearances (27) and an average amount of those being not full games, it is time we compare him with some of the rest of the MLS strikers. Granted, among many many factors, TFC relies more on its mids for goals and funnels more balls towards players like gueva and dero, nonetheless this will be somewhat accurate.

Chad Barret: 6 gls in 27 gms: He scored .222 goals per game
Guillermo Barros Shelotto: 10 gls in 13 gms: He scored .833 goals per game
Conor Casey: 8 gls in 10 gms: .800
Landon Donnovan: 6 gls in 11 gms: .546
Robbie Findley: 6 gls in 12 gms: .500
Eduardo Lillingston: 6 gls in 14 gms: .429
Kenny Cooper: 6 gls in 13 gms: .461
Josh Wolff: 6 gls in 12 gms: .500

Now to be fair lets look at another team that heavily relies on its Midfeilders for goal production: New England

Kheli Dube: 1 gl in 8 gms: .125

Kenny Mansally: 1 gl in 10 gms: .100

Taylor Twellman: 2 gls in 2 gms: 1
Steve Ralston: 4 gls in 8 gms: .500

I'd also be curious to see his shot:goal ratio compared. But that has a lot to do with how long your team spends behind in games throughout the year. Weaker teams, who spend higher proportions of the season behind naturally shoot at less opportune time more. If youre ahead you will play more possession and only take more sure shots, generally.

TFC Cityboy
06-15-2009, 11:32 AM
I hope Chad doesn't read this board as this will hardly help the lad's confidence.

trane
06-15-2009, 11:33 AM
^ Barret does not have a good striker rate, but you comparison seems a little random.

jloome
06-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Barrett isn't "bad", he's "bad" at one thing: finishing. Move him to the wing and he'll continue to drive defenses crazy by getting behind them constantly. You have to qualify this shit man.

But you're right about his strike rate. I had a thread in here earlier comparing him to Gerber, who scores a goal ever 2.9 games. For barrett it's a goal every six, or something like that. In other words, your scoring percentage doesn't get any better if you look over the 118 games of his MSL career, it still hovers around .200

trane
06-15-2009, 11:36 AM
^ Agreed, I just hope Cummins is the type of coach, that recognizes players strenghts, and put them in positions to succed, regardless of the pressure or expectations that managment and supporters have.

VPjr
06-15-2009, 11:37 AM
The stats are compelling but I can see with my own eyes just how innadequate this player is.

He certainly works hard and does a lot of running when he's on the field but that's not enough. This is soccer, not a track meet. I don't need or necessarily want a striker that sprints around like a chicken with his head cut off chasing every ball.

I want a striker who possess excellent tactical awareness, who knows how to get into good spots on the field to maximize his chance of scoring, who possesses poise and calm when the ball is at his feet.

Its also quite obvious to meet that his teammates have lost confidence in him. He's being forzen out and, from what I hear, that is being borne out when the coaching staff is doing a review of the proZone data that they get after each home match. When your teammates lose faith in you, you might as well start packing your bags because you're essentially finished.

Damien
06-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Its also quite obvious to meet that his teammates have lost confidence in him. He's being forzen out and, from what I hear, that is being borne out when the coaching staff is doing a review of the proZone data that they get after each home match. When your teammates lose faith in you, you might as well start packing your bags because you're essentially finished.

Don't try to cheer me up. I don't think they can do anything about his 4 year contract, can they?

VPjr
06-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Barrett isn't "bad", he's "bad" at one thing: finishing. Move him to the wing and he'll continue to drive defenses crazy by getting behind them constantly. You have to qualify this shit man.

If TFC is a team that wants to play the ball on the deck, Barrett is not an adequate wing player either. If you launch balls over the top and hope he can run around and get underneath them, MAYBE he can be a bit effective at times. However, he doesn't have the awareness of how to interplay with the forwards when he's slotted out wide. Its just another example of guy being played way out of position.

Faud Ibrahim would make a far better choice as a wing player for TFC. If it was not for the fact that TFC would have to give up a 1st Round draft pick to FCDallas if Ibrahim plays more than 10 games this season, I am convinced that he would be starting or, at worst, be a regular sub for TFC.

VPjr
06-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Don't try to cheer me up. I don't think they can do anything about his 4 year contract, can they?

he has a 2+2 contract. This year and next are guaranteed. the next 2 years are club options.

If they release him after this season, next season's contract would count against the cap in 2010.

reggie
06-15-2009, 11:46 AM
nice contract FERGY MO....

flatpicker
06-15-2009, 11:46 AM
I hope Chad doesn't read this board as this will hardly help the lad's confidence.

seriously... we need to stop making threads with negative titles!

If you wanna give your opinion within a thread... fine.
But don't go making our players look bad in plain view... this forum already has enough downer posts.

Perhaps a mod can change the title of this thread to "Barret - strike rate" or some such thing.

Oblio2
06-15-2009, 11:50 AM

But don't go making our players look bad in plain view... this forum already has enough downer posts.

Perhaps a mod can change the title of this thread to "Barret - strike rate" or some such thing.

It was the choice of the original poster to name the title. I don't think it's fair to randomly change titles because you think it's too negative.
IMHO

The Kingpin
06-15-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm glad to see others are seeing what I've been seeing. I think Barrett would be excellent in a Dirk Kuyt style role. He has the energy and enthusiasm and seems to deliver the ball very well. He also has shown that he will run at goal as well. The issue being - we'll have a team of midfielders. Maybe this is where Gerba can help if he's up to it!

flatpicker
06-15-2009, 11:53 AM
It was the choice of the original poster to name the title. I don't think it's fair to randomly change titles because you think it's too negative.
IMHO

I think that's up to the mods.

Remember that a lot of people read these boards (members and non-members)

When threads have opinionated titles, then viewers will quickly get the impression that all RPB share that opinion.
(despite the disclaimer at the top of the forum)

Cal
06-15-2009, 11:53 AM

listen: i made the thread title BEFORE compiling the data. So, the answer to "Exactly how bad Barret is" could have been "not that bad". I mean when you look at new englands strikers stats, you sort of see that he isnt that bad.

Oblio2
06-15-2009, 11:54 AM
I think that's up to the mods.

Remember that a lot of people read these boards (members and non-members)

When threads have opinionated titles, then viewers will quickly get the impression that all RPB share that opinion.
(despite the disclaimer at the top of the forum)

Thats fair enough but most of the threads created are opinionated. Changing ones that are percieved negative takes us down a slippery slope.

flatpicker
06-15-2009, 11:55 AM
listen: i made the thread title BEFORE compiling the data. So, the answer to "Exactly how bad Barret is" could have been "not that bad".

you can't tell me that people wouldn't read that title as a negative opinion.
"how bad is he" isn't something you say when you think a person is doing well.
You could have said "how is Barret performing"... that would have been much more appropriate.

Thats fair enough but most of the threads created are opinionated. Changing ones that are percieved negative takes us down a slippery slope.

true... we can't get carried away with censorship...
but I just think people need to be a little more aware...

anyway... back to the topic.

Oblio2
06-15-2009, 11:59 AM
you can't tell me that people wouldn't read that title as a negative opinion.
"how bad is he" isn't something you say when you think a person is doing well.
You could have said "how is Barret performing"... that would have been much more appropriate.

true... we can't get carried away with censorship...
but I just think people need to be a little more aware...

anyway... back to the topic.

Back to the topic indeed.....

I don think Barrett is a pure scorer.
He's more of a hustle and bustle forward who causes havoc and helps create chances....
Reminds more of a David Speedie

Phil
06-15-2009, 12:00 PM
I changed the title to Barret - stats.

The overtly negative stuff attracts trolls. Cal has put out some stats that warrent discussion, if you really want it changed back let me know.

As an aside I did it before reading all this stuff.

rocker
06-15-2009, 12:19 PM
just curious why Barrett's 27 games are counted, but the other players used in comparison have stats only from this season?

pubboy
06-15-2009, 12:37 PM
Back to the topic indeed.....

I don think Barrett is a pure scorer.
He's more of a hustle and bustle forward who causes havoc and helps create chances....
Reminds more of a David Speedie

One of my favourite players, and a great guy so thanks for mentioning him. Unfortunately, while i see what you are saying, Speedie was 1,000,000 the player Barrett is (and i like Barrett apart from his lack of scoring). Speedie could take on half the team, and finish it. He annoyed the crap out of the opposition - we used to call him the terrier, as he used to always be snapping at the other team's ankles. Happy memories....

Oblio2
06-15-2009, 12:46 PM
One of my favourite players, and a great guy so thanks for mentioning him. Unfortunately, while i see what you are saying, Speedie was 1,000,000 the player Barrett is (and i like Barrett apart from his lack of scoring). Speedie could take on half the team, and finish it. He annoyed the crap out of the opposition - we used to call him the terrier, as he used to always be snapping at the other team's ankles. Happy memories....

Dont get me wrong. Speedie is and was 1,000,000 the player Barrett is but I see him in that type of mould. Anyoying, pushy, biting at the ankles.
Remember Speedie and Dixon at Chelsea? They had a great partnetship but hated each other

Shakes McQueen
06-15-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm glad to see others are seeing what I've been seeing. I think Barrett would be excellent in a Dirk Kuyt style role. He has the energy and enthusiasm and seems to deliver the ball very well. He also has shown that he will run at goal as well. The issue being - we'll have a team of midfielders. Maybe this is where Gerba can help if he's up to it!

I agree with you, Kingpin.

- Scott

jloome
06-15-2009, 07:28 PM
If TFC is a team that wants to play the ball on the deck, Barrett is not an adequate wing player either. If you launch balls over the top and hope he can run around and get underneath them, MAYBE he can be a bit effective at times. However, he doesn't have the awareness of how to interplay with the forwards when he's slotted out wide. Its just another example of guy being played way out of position.

Faud Ibrahim would make a far better choice as a wing player for TFC. If it was not for the fact that TFC would have to give up a 1st Round draft pick to FCDallas if Ibrahim plays more than 10 games this season, I am convinced that he would be starting or, at worst, be a regular sub for TFC.

You're broadly overstating the point. There's a reason Barrett gets so many shots, and it's because he can beat defenses. When you play three wide at the top, you don't need your wideman to just beat backs and pump in crosses; you need him to get into scoring positions and set up other players in scoring positions, and Barrett does both those things well.

He just can't finish. Why overdramatize that into "he's a wreck" when he's clearly not?

andyc
06-15-2009, 07:44 PM

Wasn't that dealt with as part of the Serioux trade? I thought that the drafts we're fixed as opposed to being conditional on games played.

Jack
06-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Sorry dude, but the only thing Barrett delivers well is the ball to the opposing keeper.

He overthinks all the time on offensive buildup, not just in front of goal.

And his delivery is not exactly promising. I suppose if he worked on it a bit more.

The Kingpin
06-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Sorry dude, but the only thing Barrett delivers well is the ball to the opposing keeper.

He overthinks all the time on offensive buildup, not just in front of goal.

And his delivery is not exactly promising. I suppose if he worked on it a bit more.

To be honest you see him live more than I do - so you see the little things. I just remember Kuyt having similar issues with Liverpool and the move to the right has been fantastic for him. At times I see Barrett do some energetic/creative things out wide where the pressure is not as intense. I think crossing/distribution is something you can teach - finishing is natural, in my humble opinion (maybe why I've played fullback all my life). It's worth a try anyway - we have him signed for a good period of time and the current situation has not been working... But I do bow to the fact that this is watching him on my computer (sometimes at 2AM with a few single malts..).

Cheers!

Jack
06-16-2009, 03:21 PM
To be honest you see him live more than I do - so you see the little things. I just remember Kuyt having similar issues with Liverpool and the move to the right has been fantastic for him. At times I see Barrett do some energetic/creative things out wide where the pressure is not as intense. I think crossing/distribution is something you can teach - finishing is natural, in my humble opinion (maybe why I've played fullback all my life). It's worth a try anyway - we have him signed for a good period of time and the current situation has not been working... But I do bow to the fact that this is watching him on my computer (sometimes at 2AM with a few single malts..).

Cheers!

From what I've seen, a large percentage of balls that go through Barrett will end up in a dead play, either a missed chance or the ball being coughed up to the opposition. But maybe I'm only looking at the negatives :noidea:

Eastend
06-16-2009, 03:32 PM
When making this type of comparison, shouldn't you use the same amount of games played? I'm not saying it would make his stats better but when comparing apples to apples you need the same amount.

Pachuco
06-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Games played is never a good comparison. Minutes played is. I can have 20 games played and still have less minutes played then someone who's played 1 game. So if we can get a good comparison of minutes played, that would help alot.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Will Johnson for Chad Barrett.....get it done!

rocker
06-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Will Johnson for Chad Barrett.....get it done!

getting a defensive midfielder ain't gonna help ;)

Johnson has recently moved into that role after RSL tried to figure out where he fit best.

The Kingpin
06-16-2009, 04:07 PM
From what I've seen, a large percentage of balls that go through Barrett will end up in a dead play, either a missed chance or the ball being coughed up to the opposition. But maybe I'm only looking at the negatives :noidea:

I'm going to keep a closer eye the next time he plays - it's just what I've been seeing... I could be wrong to! ;)

But hey - you can't blame me for always being negative!! :D